New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Missed with her shadow/fire bolt this round, but Homing 1 gives her another turn next round.

Also it takes another Toughness check this round from last rounds new Corruption, unless you've done that already.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Posted in the IC! Details in the spoiler in that post, but the cliff notes:

Verdan had a good round of soaking.
    Emilia escaped the demoralized arm.
    Isaera is (maybe) getting zonked with Mana Dependancy from a complication.
    Marion is getting vine-struck and maybe grabbed.

I need some toughness and dodge rolls from Marion, and "Attack of opportunities" from Mor'Lag, Jakk'ari and Varghast. After that, it's the various PC's turns!

3. - Top - End - #903
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jakk'ari's attack of opportunity. (1d20+1)[12] Attempting to a physical strike.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-08-08 at 12:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

I guess Isaera could still try to cast firebolt right? Although, not with the +2 bonus this time...

I also don't think whatever happened to her would last long, given that the entire environment is infused with mana.

5. - Top - End - #905

DruidGuy

I think Jakk'ari will try a team attack with Isaera or Mor'Lag. I think it would be possible with both since combined attacks need the same effect and resistance type within 5 ranks of one another. For Isaera it would be adding a ranged elemental blast and Mor'Lag a melee strike.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Jakk'ari's attack of opportunity. [roll0] Attempting to a physical strike.
    Alas, the magic number is 13 for melee attacks; and as far as I can tell, Demoralize only impacts active checks not static defences!

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I guess Isaera could still try to cast firebolt right? Although, not with the +2 bonus this time...

I also don't think whatever happened to her would last long, given that the entire environment is infused with mana.
    Indeed, it's a short term debilitation; but depending on how desperate the situation might be perceived, you can completely negate that penalty with your prepared mana potion. You can cast firebolt or anything else; just with the condition penalties if you want to hold on to that potion for other purposes.

I think Jakk'ari will try a team attack with Isaera or Mor'Lag. I think it would be possible with both since combined attacks need the same effect and resistance type within 5 ranks of one another. For Isaera it would be adding a ranged elemental blast and Mor'Lag a melee strike.
    A fine option! Mor'Lag has already rolled, but feel free to 'attack' a DC of 10 to give a boost of 2 ranks to the damage of someone else's attack - Isaera's if she's game, or Marion's; or Emilia's if you run out of dance partners!

Which reminds me...:

Quote Originally Posted by Mor Lag
    Mor takes an attack of opportunity that Lag follows up on! The twins are in sync, like dancers they twist in a violent display of brutality!
    Feather, I noticed you rolled at +8's! I think a while ago we did a little audit and fiddled with Mor'Lag's stats, due to the fact that at PL4, the total Damage Rank+Attack Bonus a character can have is +8. I think we landed on Mor'Lag having +4/+4, with the ability to slide that up and down by two with Power Attack and Accurate attack. That's food for thought for future attacks - Mor'Lag can attack with +6 accuracy for DC17 toughness check love-taps, or all the way down to +2 accuracy but whopping DC21 toughness checks. Regardless, your attack of opportunity misses but the main attack hits! I'll roll the outcome of that inna minnit.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yeah, that's on me. Read it as a +6
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, how about that. She's just truckin' through it.

The bad news is, being disabled right now, Isaera has a -5 penalty to that attack roll. The good news is, she manages to hit anyway, because this hulk's dodge defence is bad. The bad news further is that, with a +8 to toughness, I rolled a 13, totalling 21, which is the DC of your firebolt. But the good news further is that Mor'Lag just bashed that arm, giving it a -1 to that roll. So that's a good hit, and another accumulated penalty on the arm!

9. - Top - End - #909

DruidGuy

Everyone seems to be rolling well on their own. So Jakk'ari will team attack with Emelia.
    Rolling for melee attack. (1d20+1)[5]

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Will post descriptors tonight, but Emelia’s attack: (1d20+4)[24]

Welp, that’s a crit. Looks like the teamwork comes together even despite Jakk’ari’s roll, lol.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-08-10 at 09:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Two toughness saves for Mr Corrupted Plant, DC 19 for This Round Corruption (and another one next round) and either a DC 21 or DC 24 for her Shadow and Fire impact.

I doubt Vargheist hit, but if he did, then a DC 15 toughness check for that too.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-08-11 at 09:36 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Right back atcha, BananaPhone; give me some rolls for Marion and Varghast, as detailed in the IC thread! Will this be the day when Marion actually pays a price for her hubris?

Probably not!

Also, hey...So what color is Marion's hair, canonically? Blonde or brunette? I appreciate the compulsion to update character art - but tell me!

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*Reads IC*

I've seen enough Anime to know where this is going....

Toughness: (1D20)[13] +4

Dodge: (1D20)[8] +4

Vargheist Toughness: (1D20)[12] +8

And fails every roll, because of course.

She has sandy-blonde hair. Meaning it's blonde when I find a great avatar, and light brown when I find another great avatar .
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-08-16 at 08:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Marion can still perform a Perception-ranged attack while grappled, yeah?

If so: Corruption.

Take 2 DC 19 hits this round (last rounds Secondary Effect and first effect of this rounds Corruption) and another next round.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't think your avatar is big enough Plaids, I can't see it properly.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Pixie in the Playground

I love this game)

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Why thank you, bot.

18. - Top - End - #918

DruidGuy

@Bananaphone: I'll put the portraits in a spoiler later. Is it possible to shrink an image on a post?

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I can make a reduced version of the token that's a little less huge for ya.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

@Bananaphone: I'll put the portraits in a spoiler later. Is it possible to shrink an image on a post?
    Hah I was just playing with you mate.

But you could go to postimages.org and upload there, it can re-size it for you.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-08-18 at 05:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922

DruidGuy

Thank you for the smaller portrait.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Woop, looks like we have a bit of a chrono-woopsy. Isaera posted a tasteful video immolation of Verdan, shortly before Jakk’ari and Marion start talking about how to put him down. Them’s the breaks in play by post. I’ll braid them into a sensible order in a roundup post when I move the scene on shortly.

I think only Marion, Jakk’ari and Vargast got injured this time - and all of them are presently capable of regenerating. So I think after a quick breather, we’re good to go.

Edit: There we go. I took some minor liberties, and tried to honor everyone's displayed intentions and concerns (the smoke, mercy, etc). I also kind of wanted to give Isaera a little magical moment since she's the arcanist and has been copping a frozen string of rolls just now. Hope that looks fine to you, Windstruck.
    Spoiler: Elf Mercy
    Show
    ... except kinder.

I'll move the scene on to the next chamber tomorrow; feel free to post in the interim, or wait for the shift.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-08-20 at 06:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

I remember seeing that video. It looked like she was going to pet the little mana wyrm first, then she rips its soul out!

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh, no; nothing like that. She’s just… dissolving the magical creature into its raw mana state. I’m… sure it got better off screen. ;)

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's just sleeping...

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. I honestly have no idea what we are supposed to do, if it's even possible to do anything to fix this. I can only make up technobabble (or magic babble) so much. I only vaguely have some fantasy idea of what a leyline is, but that's about it. No idea how to put this back underground, or back closer to its plane, or prevent us all from mutating.

A previous arcana roll to see if I could just suck all the mana out of the air and condense it into a crystal or something failed, so I really don't know... but I might have the beginnings of some random idea which may or may not have some merit.

Um. First I'd like to just make an arcane roll in general to see if there's any other useful information you can provide: (1d20+14)[21]

Second, here's the idea. So if this thing is gushing out of the ground like a bleeding open wound ... might there be a way to "clot" it? Let's say, somewhat similar to the first idea about making mana crystals. But maybe we'll just make a different kind of crystal or rock that can't be siphoned, I don't know.

So an arcana roll for some sort of way to either turn all this mana into rock to seal the hole, or otherwise "heal" this wound? (1d20+14)[27]

Another ritual or type of magic I'd be interested in. Any way to ward ourselves from all this mana before we start growing extra heads? (1d20+14)[24]

28. - Top - End - #928

DruidGuy

Maybe physically sealing the hole could work?
    As for Warcraft lore the arcane energy is based on order and stands in opposition to the chaotic fell magic. Maybe Marion or Mor'Lag could try sealing the breach or push it away with fell magic?

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Maybe physically sealing the hole could work?
    As for Warcraft lore the arcane energy is based on order and stands in opposition to the chaotic fell magic. Maybe Marion or Mor'Lag could try sealing the breach or push it away with fell magic?
    Mor'Lag's magical talent and Marion's fel-cunning were instrumental breaks when tracking the demons and banishing them in Dustwallow; but this situation is intensely arcane and sophisticated enough that Isaera's intervention is likely a safer bet. Good ideas, though!

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Alright. I honestly have no idea what we are supposed to do, if it's even possible to do anything to fix this. I can only make up technobabble (or magic babble) so much. I only vaguely have some fantasy idea of what a leyline is, but that's about it. No idea how to put this back underground, or back closer to its plane, or prevent us all from mutating.

A previous arcana roll to see if I could just suck all the mana out of the air and condense it into a crystal or something failed, so I really don't know... but I might have the beginnings of some random idea which may or may not have some merit.

Um. First I'd like to just make an arcane roll in general to see if there's any other useful information you can provide: [roll0]

Second, here's the idea. So if this thing is gushing out of the ground like a bleeding open wound ... might there be a way to "clot" it? Let's say, somewhat similar to the first idea about making mana crystals. But maybe we'll just make a different kind of crystal or rock that can't be siphoned, I don't know.

So an arcana roll for some sort of way to either turn all this mana into rock to seal the hole, or otherwise "heal" this wound? [roll1]

Another ritual or type of magic I'd be interested in. Any way to ward ourselves from all this mana before we start growing extra heads? [roll2]

Look at that lovely series of rolls all of which total 20+.

1: General Arcane Information. Verdan was indeed soaking much of the arcane 'radiation'; without them, as Jakk'ari speculates, the effect on the life in the surrounding area is likely to ramp up. The Kirin Tor, Azeroth's premier magical authority, are a coalition of human and elven mages who, among other things, repair and monitor ley-lines, the health of which is imperative to stable arcane magical practice. By virtue of being a conventionally trained Mage, Isaera is a (Junior) Associate Member of the Kirin Tor. This is good; because any kind of long-term solution to this problem is going to require the expertise of a team of their specialists. Come to think of it, the nebulous references to "KT" in the investigating druid's notes likely refers to the Kirin Tor. They detected, as you have, anomalous arcane magical phenomena and were considering reluctantly bringing some magi into the druid clubhouse for this problem which is out of their wheelhouse. Those druids, based on the notes, couldn't get past Verdan - they didn't know how right they were.

2: Clotting the Wound: While healing this warped ley-line will take specialists and time, sealing it right now to make it less ambiently toxic for you and everyone else is definitely possible. Rendering the arcane ambience into 'digestible' mana crystals isn't quite possible without special arcane equipment (and dangerously easy with Fel); but, crudely put, mana loves patterns. That's what you saw back in the ritual chamber, where the arcane magic was 'infesting' the druidic magical runes; and crystals are an intrinsically patterned structures. You might not be able to transmute the magic into 'pure' mana crystals, but might be able to transmute it into other, magically inert crystals. That would require some exertion, and a hasty ritual. As a Kirin Tor Mage, you have formally studied mana currents and transmutation magic. You're the right person for the job - but the chaotic ambient arcane energy in the room may complicate the casting in unforeseen ways. Still, it's your best shot. Once that's done, you'll be free to seek out the druids - presumably, all compacted into the other end of the caverns - with one less ticking timebomb. You can raise the alarm with the Kirin Tor after you're done here.

3: Prevention as Medicine: Now that you're here inside the primary exposure zone, preventative measures would certainly be wise. Your 1 point of magical cantrips might be the right tool for this - with 1 point, you can become immune to a specific threat as narrow as "radiation", which fits the bill. Alternatively, if you take a -1 modifier (half effectiveness) and even it back out with a +1 modifier (affects other), you can offhandledly make a magic-radiation resistant 'bubble' that benefits the whole group as long as they are nearby... but it'll mean resistance to the effect, instead of immunity.

To conduct the 'clotting' ritual, give me one more Expertise: Arcane Magic check. Upper ideal is 30; reduced effect for less. And, you know... give me something in the IC thread, to set it up!

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll throw an Expertise: Fel Magic roll from Marion: (1D20+11)[24]