New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

I quite like the sudden subverted expectations with Marion that just happened.
    I also like the game symbolism going on underscoring the social encounters.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I thought it was funny. But I grew up in chatroom RP; and in retrospect, that was a hotbed of neuroses and thin-skinned escapists. So I have a reflex whenever I see anything happen IC that could be possibly taken badly OOC to leap up and 'manage' it; and I'll ask y'all to forgive me when I do that. Because I'm also committed to the idea that RPing is most fun when the interactions have a fantasy flavor and a realistic texture; which means people being rude to each other, having prejudices, and all kinds of less than pleasant parts of the real world. So I like when Mor'Lag jumps down Isaera's throat prematurely when she brushes against Mor'Lag's anxiety about other ogres, and when Isaera reflexively accuses Jakk'ari and Zachary of foolishly leading attackers to the wagon train, or when Marion has a Frank-Grimes sarcasm ragequit when she infers that someone is thinking of her as a commoner. But my reinforced conditioning is to make sure that everything's still cool, because I grew up playing with other self-important 15 year olds on the internet rather than people I can reasonably expect to be mature adults like you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    In lore I know Magatha Grim Totem is a minor villain and poisons Khairne so the villainous Garrosh can rule the horde. But Warcraft has some nuance in that villainous characters are sometime in good factions and tribes.
    So I don't know what to expect with Jevan...

...Also I'm starting to feel like a politician if that was the goal then good job.
    I don't mind people knowing the established lore for these things! Most of the NPCs, when I can, are pulled directly from the game and you can look them up on Wowpedia. Most of those, like Helaina and Tamberlyn, are just standin' around NPCs without much to say or contribute to the game, but I figure why not use the resources I'm given, right? Some are minor NPC questgivers, like Balandar and Swamp-Eye Jarl, whom I have taken the liberty of fleshing out for your reading pleasure. But once you start getting towards the medium to high level load bearing characters, like Jevan, Ukorz, and Jaina Proudmoore, I'm going on record saying that there are no guarantees that a given NPC will be consistent with the official lore. A villain might be a misunderstood anti-hero. A celebrated hero might be concealing a wicked calculus that in the official version they are not. So y'know... Don't let your guard down. I aim to misbehave.

Also, I'm glad you feel like a politician! The best indication I have about the kind of thing you want for your characters is your complications and backstory. If you say Sandfury Diplomat, I'm gonna give you some opportunity to be a Sandfury diplomat dagnabbit. I have a little short list of "things that X character is about" on my side monitor here and I try to hit those marks when I can. Feel free to message me if you feel I'm misunderstanding something, or if you'd like some particular opportunity for your character to develop, and I'll try to accommodate it.

Work's a bit heckers, but I should have a new post up tomorrow. Also, I live in Australia, so whenever I say "Tomorrow" I mean "24 hours from when I say this", roughly.

Vote MrAbdiel for best GM 2021

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Allgood. Unless Im gettibg a frosty disposition from someone OOC, I always keep IC stuff separate from ooc thoughts.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

My apologies, gang; I thought I'd have more free time today than I did, and now it's 11:21PM and I ought to line up a good amount of sleep, what with real world job and all. I'll make good on that post tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #245

DruidGuy

Dang. Almost made won the wager. How is everyone else doing?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Missed it by one! I can’t believe the booze made the difference.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Dark dealings are afoot in many places! We're coming up on a point where I'll pull the party back together, and jump ahead to the next day; but not quite until these various wicked/shameful/mysterious bargains are resolved one way or the other.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

The first check was trivial, but the later ones? Hmm let's see...

expertise: magic (1d20+14)[27]

oh right: so did Isaera get something for following that "compel"? It honestly didn't seem like a detriment or inconvenience to her at all.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-11-12 at 11:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I’m choosing to interpret the VP temptation as inconvenience to the party or else convenience to me driving the story in nefarious ways. In this case, the biggest inconvenience is that the party is scattered over such an area while Mor’Lag is punching away your party’s accumulated good will. And everyone’s compliance has allowed me to lay the seeds for their later disruption.

And also I kind of assumed Isaera is going to actually feed from that stone, which comes with some long term complications.

TLDR: I’m being a bit more narrative and less screwy with the VP. I reserve the right to cause you suffering more directly at other times.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... I signed up for hearing what this mana source is, but not actually doing it.

And sadly Isaera would have no way of knowing what the others are up to. So it's kind of hard to blame her or say she's "complicit"...

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

That’s alright. She’s not morally complicit, any more than she would be if she ran out of mana and then a problem arose that could really use some magic. And now that she knows how to tap the fel, I can always provoke a more direct temptation towards using it in future.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Abstract rolls! Go:

Close Combat
    (1d20+8)[24]
    (1d20+8)[19]
    (1d20+8)[25]

Stamina
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, that looks to me like she kicked three butts and only had to take the one name. I guess she proved it!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I'll gladly take a free assessment action or whatever, and glean as much information as I can from this situation, on Iseara. Keep in mind I've been skimming or not reading stuff that hasn't been part of my section at all, so don't expect me to automatically know things I shouldn't know.

Do I need any rolls?

15. - Top - End - #255

DruidGuy

I think going for persuasion would work out best since the party has to stay in the village for a little while longer. If things get really deadly Mor'Lag could make a break for it and wait outside for the party.
    If only I took the money this situation could be solved instantly with the universal language of cash.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I think going for persuasion would work out best since the party has to stay in the village for a little while longer. If things get really deadly Mor'Lag could make a break for it and wait outside for the party.
    If only I took the money this situation could be solved instantly with the universal language of cash.
    That’s the trade off! Sweet liquid cash, or what’s in… the box? For what it’s worth, I choose the box every time.

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I'll gladly take a free assessment action or whatever, and glean as much information as I can from this situation, on Iseara. Keep in mind I've been skimming or not reading stuff that hasn't been part of my section at all, so don't expect me to automatically know things I shouldn't know.

Do I need any rolls?
    No roll necessary. The scene is quite intuitive, and you all know Mor’Lag enough at this point to know both that she doesn’t go around looking for trouble but has some raw spots when it comes to the horde and other ogres; so Mor’Lag’s declaration “She started it” is very believable.

For Jakk’ari and Isaera, its seems likely that the other ogre did something to push Mor’Lag’s buttons, it escalated into a fight, and the rear of the dog pile just evolved naturally as bar brawls do.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sorry for slow reply. Busier weekend than I wanted, and I need sleep for work tomorrow. Feel free to make whatever persuasion roll your like, though; I’ll weave the result into the resolution post.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I have had the weekend from he'll, do no pressure.

[Roll]1d20+1[/20] to appeal to the Orc with persuasion. Mor'Lag doesn't want to be here, but she wants to be thrown out even less. Will post IC based on my roll
    GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

(1d20+1)[8]

Flubbed the macro!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I like the idea that, from Isaera’s perspective, it seems possible - even likely - that Marion has been raving sarcastically from the last time she saw her to this moment now, perhaps fifteen minutes worth of irony.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-11-16 at 01:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

She wants to laugh out loud over an orc being upset or surprised that a fight broke out in a tavern full of drunken orcs. The idea is so alien to her.

It's like meeting a pacifist Klingon who wants to talk about growing flowers.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2021-11-16 at 01:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

I think he's more upset that Mor'lag didn't even have a drop of booze before fighting...

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    It's like meeting a pacifist Klingon who wants to talk about growing flowers.
    Don't give New Woke Hollywood any ideas.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-11-16 at 02:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'm gonna move the scene on when I post tomorrow, though I'll hold off now in the interest of giving Mor'Lag a chance to reflect on their victory and/or to the conflicting advice from the sorceress on each shoulder. And also because I need sleep! zzz.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sorry, computer trouble. Mor is mortified and Lag is as horrified by this turn of events as her rage filled mind can get
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #265

DruidGuy

Just for the future if the group has any down time during the next day Jakk'ari is going to investigate the key he just got. If in the wilderness he'll ask the elements with his perks and powers or if in the village he'll ask around if anyone can help him and ask for help.
    (1d20+5)[7]

Also are there any GM issues with healing? I used my 2ppt from the village and 2ppt from the raptors to get some healing.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-17 at 09:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

When we were deciding what options to take, at the cadets' last camp, we were missing 3, weren't we?

One ran southeast into the swamp, one west towards the barrens, and the last (Felix) to Brackenwall Village?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    When we were deciding what options to take, at the cadets' last camp, we were missing 3, weren't we?

One ran southeast into the swamp, one west towards the barrens, and the last (Felix) to Brackenwall Village?
    You were missing three; you found tracks suggesting one fled to Brackenwall, and that was Felix; and you found demonic cover up evidence in the southish direction suggesting maybe another lead could be into the Barrens, or south toward the ogre village. Marion’s demon radar suggested the imp that was at the scene is closer to the latter, so you have reason to believe one or both are there of captured or taken dead.

28. - Top - End - #268

DruidGuy

I think sending the cadet back would be best to avoid grisly incident. I'm thinking that going into the barrens might be a good move if Felix is describing assailants that are not ogres. Also there are plenty of biggish creatures in the barrens from tauren and centaurs.

Aslo would it be possible to flag Balandar down and convince him to transport Felix to the watchtower? I don't know if hawkstriders can carry more than one person.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I think sending the cadet back would be best to avoid grisly incident. I'm thinking that going into the barrens might be a good move if Felix is describing assailants that are not ogres. Also there are plenty of biggish creatures in the barrens from tauren and centaurs.

Aslo would it be possible to flag Balandar down and convince him to transport Felix to the watchtower? I don't know if hawkstriders can carry more than one person.
    It may be possible to do so! He has seemed perfectly reasonable to Isaera, the one who has interacted with him at length; and looks perfectly reasonable to Jakk'ari.

As for your next destination, you might go toward the Barrens, or else downward into the Quagmire. The information you have is that the demon that they were chasing is now present down near or in Stonemaul village, from Marion's scrying the felsteel earing; but you have no explicit connection between that demon and the attackers other than that they were present in the same encounter. It would occur to your combined minds that the demonic aspect may represent a different operating force than the attackers, but this is in the realm of speculation.

Then, of course, there is Zachary, who has trekked south towards Stonemaul and has apparently marked the way there for you through the swamp. He is expecting you not more than a day or three behind him; but he is the sort who you can expect to survive on his own if left to his own devices. Probably.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Posting tomorrow.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger