New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Default Stand still. Stay Silent. Nordic post-apocalyptic awesomeness.

I just found this comic recently, and devoured the whole thing in a few days. I'm starting a reread, even though I only finished it two weeks ago, to slow down and thoroughly enjoy it.

The story and characters are fantastic. It is set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, with most of the world eradicated/transformed by a virus. Centered around iceland, finland, norway, denmark, and sweden, it is a different setting to explore. Mages are unique in that they can see and sense ghosts, as well as sense nearby 'trolls' (infectious monsters). Cats also have this ability, which makes trained cats valuable resources.

The prologue seems a bit disconnected from the rest of the comic, with different characters than the main body. After the prologue, which describes how the pandemic began and was perceived, it jumps about 90 years into the future and introduces the main cast.

Here is the first comic.

If you want to skip the prologue, start here.

There are two stories. The first one is almost 1000 strips, and the second (current) one is about 500 strips so far. It picks up right where the first story left off. Lots to read, and 4 updates a week.

This comic quickly rose to be my current favorite. Hopefully some here will enjoy it too!
    Last edited by Neponde; 2021-10-04 at 02:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stand still. Stay Silent. Nordic post-apocalyptic awesomeness.

I read the first story, it was pretty all right. I'll read the second when it's finished if I remember to.

The prologue is definitely skippable, which is never a good sign. It has a lot of utterly wasted details and the story plays out identically without it unless you're someone who derives real pleasure from seeing names on a page even if they don't mean anything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Nice. Binged the whole thing in a couple of days. I found that, as the story goes on, the "normal" characters are being side-lined more and more in favor of focusing on mages, though it could be my perception.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, at least more recently, the story arc has been focusing on the mage's family and stuff, so now that it seems to be concluding and winding down, we'll get back to the rest of them shortly. I too am starting to miss the non-mages; they're always fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I read the first story, it was pretty all right. I'll read the second when it's finished if I remember to.

The prologue is definitely skippable, which is never a good sign. It has a lot of utterly wasted details and the story plays out identically without it unless you're someone who derives real pleasure from seeing names on a page even if they don't mean anything.
    Eh, I found the prologue to be pretty interesting. Every story explains how the great-grandparents (or parents in one case) of the main cast got to where they are in the present. It's a good way of showing the outbreak start in a bad way while still making it relevant to the main story.

Either way, I've been following for years, and though it does get slow updates from time to time it is a regular webcomic, and one worth reading.

As to the whole "normal vs mage" story development, I found the first part of the first half to be "normal" dominant, but the mages are what makes the setting unique. The nonmages have some techniques to stave off trolls, but it's more tedious. The mages interact with the world in a more direct way (for lack of a better word).

It's like when the GM applauds the player for actually having read the setting notes and interacting with them versus the player that just does their own thing without particular regard for the GM's work. One makes for a more interesting story than the other (imo).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

There must have been a previous thread dedicated to SSSS.

I found the story way back when it was a quarter into the first book (when they travelled through the finnish lakes), and really loved the heck out of it until a certain character's demise. The one with whom I identified most.

I'll finish the second book when it's over; I can't really care so much more anymore about the protagonists, and the motivations behind their actions are a bit muddy. cat-Lalli and dog-Revi have developed into fanservice stereotypes (at least a tiny bit) and I don't find it's that cute when the author is doing it. Fans doing some hype is okay, but the author herself?

On the prologue... Well, it set the setting and the mood of the story: Epic on the grand scale, but focused an the daily life problems of the characters. I judge the prologue important, and read it more often than the rest of the story.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, side note, but thanks for making this thread when you did. Per Minna, it'll probably be wrapping up soon, so I suspect it's either this new chapter or the following that'll be the end. So for those looking for a mundane-character focused segment, your opportunity is slipping away.

And I suspect her next comic is going to just not be discussable on this forum...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I didn't expect the story to be so quickly wrapped up, though one can tell she has lost the passion for the story. To be fair, she has been working on it for many, many years. Few, and noteworthy, are the stories that the authors have devoted such length of time to, and stayed fervent for their work.