New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Post Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

I'm new to 3.5 (I'm a 5e vet). To immediately fend off the 'you should do it differently by using this class or that class', just bear with me. I'm trying to optimize a character who is from a family of Inquisitorial Assassins.

Here is my build so far. I don't anticipate the campaign getting above lv 4

Lv 1
    Cloistered Cleric
    Undead Domain (for the extra turns)
    Trickery Domain (gonna trade for the feat)
    Knowledge Domain (to be traded for the feat)
    Starting feats:
    Divine Metamagic
    Invisible Spell

My intent is to eventually be running Persist Cloud of Knives with high mobility and the best AC that I can get, while throwing Control and Buff effects around like a madlad. DMM:Quicken perhaps and Invisible with the upcost could be viable maybe.

Also seeing if I can get the Caltrops spell somehow, with Sculpt and Invisible.

I'm willing to consider another domain instead of Undead (Planning maybe for Extend > Persistent, then get Extra Turnings at a later level)

I'm very willing to consider minimum Wisdsom, High Charisma for more Turn Undead attempts and just DMM:persistent my team up with just occasional emergency healing

I will be glad to take all advise. I was originally building a cleric but keep coming up to soo many things that work wonders for an anime shinobi/ninja fueling their anime bs with Turn Undead attempts
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-06 at 03:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

You don't care about the low BAB and low HP per HD of Cloistered Cleric? Have you considered regular cleric?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

I am willing to consider going back to standard cleric, but 3 domains seems more viable, especially with Substitute Domain at a later level for better viability.

I should clarify, I'm fine not being a primary damage dealer. Being an evasive buff/summoner would be just fine
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-06 at 03:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What mix of classes are you going for? And do you just want "sneaky assassin type" or are you married to "ninja: the class" specifically? I mean, there is a prestige class called assassin. There is also a base class, the monk, that can fit the theme "inquisitorial assassin" pretty well. Monks still get wisdom bonus to AC if you are not into the whole "wearing armor" thing. One or two bonus feats are fun, and 2 levels of monk gets you evasion, which ain't bad.

Because if you want to go heavy on the undead side, cleric 2/monk 1 (or cleric 1/monk 2) is enough to get you into the prestige class Master of Shrouds, so that you can start summoning shadows, etc. to help you out a bit earlier than usual. You would not be able to be good (in fact you would have to be LN or LE), and you would have to use the "dark side of the force" by rebuking undead instead of turning them and by spontaneously casting inflict spells instead of cure spells, so that may not be your speed. Or it may be *exactly* your speed.

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/ma...uds/index.html
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2021-10-06 at 04:35 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Master of Shrouds is definitely tasty.

I was reading through Complete Champion and took note of how Domain feats are 'Spell-Like' and my mind immediately went to metamagic application.

What I'm wanting to stick with is fueling and breaking things using Turn/Rebuke Undeads. I'd go Water Devotion, but it got errata'd. Sneaky + knives + control effects + (maybe buffs) + as needed healing + high mobility/ac is what I'm aiming for. Yeah could be easier with Rogue, but I think Cloistered Cleric and Domain Feats is faster

Unironically discovering that the actual Ninja class gets AC bonus based on Wisdom lol
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-06 at 04:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

Ninja 1/Cloistered Cleric X is a classic build for a skillmonkey, especially combined with Able Learner: you get trapfinding, solid skill list and Wis to AC from Ninja 1; then your CC levels give you casting and good skill points.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would not skimp on wisdom. Cloud of knives uses casting mod plus level for to hit, so you want it decent. Dmm persist does requires persist, which requires extend. So planning over undeath is likely ideal.

Then provided you make sure leveling order is okay with your DM, you can get extend (domain), persist (lvl 1), and DMM persist (human/strongheart halfling bonus) all at level 1, plus knowledge devotion.

Sadly do to prereqs unless you work it with your DM, you have no feats if you start ninja with able learner and dmm persist will not come online until 6 which is past where you said your campaign will end. Technically extend and persist themselves have no spellcasting prereqs, so you can grab both at 1, which makes your domains other than knowledge free.

You just have no relevant feats until knowledge devotion comes online, which is likely no more than a +1 bonus if you want to put points elsewhere for sneaking. And your wanted ability will not come online until end of campaign, so parsing how you want to contribute before then will be important. Animal devotion may be an option, after persisting your favorite level 1 buff at level 3, if you have the extra turning which you would have a free domain for potentially.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

wink Re: Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

Running around at the speed of sound would be great, but yes Planning domain with DMM:Persist and Knowledge Devotion may be my best bet. You are correct, mostly likely just +1Â’s from Knowledge Devotion which could be good to start but really i want to get to lv 3 and trade it for another domain, trickery preferably. Gotta get that useful Simulacrum.

So to start, looks like Dex/Wis, then Con.

Perhaps Trickery Domain (Devotion) to start. DMM:Persist is slightly less resource intensive than DMM:Quicken or Invisible.

Can swap out Knowledge for Undead at lv 3, which would be closer to the end of the campaign, so more Turn Undead attempts could be useful there

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have exactly 0 domains, wouldn't you not get any domain spells to put into your domain slots? Not sure if you can even spontaneous convert to cure spells if there is nothing to convert. Just a thought.

With that said, if Dragon Magazine is allowed, sacred outlaw is great for that Ninja 1/Cloistered Cleric X built. Probably need a Rogue's vest or something to get +1d6 of Sneak Attack.

Craven is also good to progress your sneak attack damage, but with DMM around, you may not have the feats left for it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

frown Re: Building a Cloistered Cleric / Ninja. yes, Ninja. You read it right.

Yes, would lose all domain spells. But on the otherside, the campaign is intended to be short, and starting a lv 1 c. Cleric with 5 feats, three of which are powered by Turn Attempts, will absolutely be pushing the boundaries of my dm’s sanity.

Especially if I do a 180, take Water and Trickery domain (feats) for simulacrum and water elementals, and prep Obscuring Fog with create water as an orison.

Smokescreen, go prone. Then have the simulacrum run out or ambush anyone who comes in with sudden water elemental
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-06 at 09:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is what I don't understand... You have quite a few grandiose plans, but the campaign won't go above lvl 4?

I think you may be trying to grab too much. If you got the persist divine metamagic way, you need both decent wisdom, good charisma (For turn attempts), and then doing the persist trick will empty your turn attempts. Meaning nothing else (Or maybe 1-2 times) can be activated by them. If you are using the persist trick, it kind of the main thing...

As to water and trickery- Simulacrum is waaaay over the level cap you suggested. Even elementals are... Borderline.

3.5e characters greatly differ from 5e ones. And they play somewhat differently, as the system does... You are a low level character, with fairly limited resources, and that isn't even taking into account the other needs of the party.

Good luck, and take care.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

To clarify, the 'Simulacrum' is created due to a feat, Trickery Devotion in Complete Champion, which is available at lv 1 if I start Trickery Domain and exchange it for the Domain Feat. It is very easily obtainable by a cleric.

The sheer utility of this, as well as the massive flavor for any kind of ninja to have a body double, is clear to see.
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-07 at 09:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

On second thought

C. Cleric
    -Can pick any domain here-
    Trickery Domain (for the feat)
    Knoweldge Domain (for the feat)
    Extra Turning
    Extra Turning

Just casually have 11 + Cha mod turnings to be used as body doubles with a free domain to choose in preparation of going Ninja

ACF Destroy Undead instead of Rebuke and I've got an Anti-Undead ninja

Even taking a Spontaneous Domain for the free domain that I pick, then starting at lv1 with 7 + cha mod turns is plenty of Turn resource
    ~~nevermind about spontaneous domain, requires 3rd level spells~~
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-07 at 07:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Travel Domain (Devotion) works perfectly for range though.

C.Cleric
    Travel Domain (Devotion)
    Trickery Domain (Devotion)
    Knoweldge Domain (Devotion)

Feats
    Travel Devotion
    Trickery Devotion (Kage Bushin no Jutsu anyone?)
    Knowledge Devotion (free +1 assuminig the correct knowledge)
    Extra Turning (+4)
    Extra Turning (+4)

So, while using a ranged weapon, this would let me move my full speed, attack, and move my full speed again (Travel Devotion).
    Can clone myself with very useful capabilities (including being a distraction to make enemies go for the wrong me) (Trickery Devotion).

And can do that at least 11 times a day

Yes I lose the domain spell slot, but honestly this kind of prep for multiclassing into the Ninja class seems....insanely optimal for flavor and combat.

Magic Stone or Obscuring Mist for better range (til a better ranged weapon is obtained) and for smoke screens
    Last edited by Rejvik; 2021-10-07 at 08:29 PM.