A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Star*Drive: Verge's Edge

Date: March 16, 2501, 22:51

The briefing room is small, just big enough to seat at least 40 people. Just behind the speaker's podium on the small raised stage, the holoprojector displays a map and heading information of the Adamanthea II... Seconds later, it shifts to show schematics of a ship, very much unlike the battlecruiser, Adamanthea II... It appears to be a longhaul freighter! Several points of yellow flash at critical areas, most likely important ship systems, only a couple others flash in red. It finally shifts to a different display, zooming out from the schematic, showing the current area of space that they are currently in, then zooms out again showing another point on the starmap, the ship's current destination... It almost looks Hammer's Star.

The 16 other marines in the room rise and snap to attention as the ship's general approaches from off the side, heading towards the podium. In his wake, two other higher-ranking officers stand off to the side, watching and murmuring amongst each other. In just a few short strides, the general stops behind the podium, turning to regard the soldiers in the room, eyeing each one quickly, shifting his gaze randomly from one pair of eyes to another.

"If everyone's ready, we'll begin the briefing..."
    Last edited by decemberism; 2007-12-01 at 05:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Star*Drive: Verge's Edge

Zair's head barely cleared the top of the table, when he stood respectfully at attention for the General. Being a Fraal among Humans meant he lived in a world sized a bit to big for him. Still Zair had lived his entire life that way and he was used to it. Sometimes unexperienced humans might not think he was more then an old-looking child, but he knew how to deal with that too.

As the information was displayed on the Holoprojector Zair tried to understand what the various color and shapes meant, while waiting for the briefing to get started

3. - Top - End - #3

Casca

Casca came to attention with the rest of the marines, sitting back down after the general spoke. He paid strict attention to the mission briefing, seemingly blocking out all else. He was cautious to keep his chainsaw from touching anything or anyone. Even though it was off you could never be too careful.
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2007-11-19 at 01:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin snaps to attention with the others, his eyes on the general. He had signed up looking for adventure, and it seemed like this was his chance. He glances about at the other Marines and Navy personal, wondering how much of the rumors that are the life blood of military were true, then returns his attention to the briefing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

The man stands and salutes with textbook precision, but something is a bit off. Something in his eyes says that while he may be going through the motions, he really stands at his own leisure. He does not look upon the officers before him with the deference due to superiors. If they were to look at him, he would stare right back. Not with any malice, but with contented self-assuredness. No amount of time with the Concord can strain the Austrin from his mind.

OOC: My hard drive decide to die on Thursday, right as I was going out of town. I can only really promise one post until I either repair or replace it.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

6. - Top - End - #6

The general turns and glances to the other two officers standing off to the side, then to the marines once again. He nods solemnly.

"At ease men."

He calmly waits until everyone's settled in their seats, pulling off his cap and setting it on the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the situation. Shortly after leaving the Tendril system, we received a fuzzy distress beacon, enough to mark the coordinates of a StarMech longhauler. We don't exactly know what the status of the ship is, yet. At least, not internally."

The holo behind him shifts views, zooming right onto the StarMech ship once again, showing the flashing yellow points.

"As near as we can tell, there are some systems that have been disabled, namely it's long-range communications array and it's engines. Several of it's defensive systems have also gone offline."

Now, the red points light up, joining with the yellow.

"It's also possible that there may have been several hull breaches. They appear to be central to the cargo corridor, here-" He points to one red spot at the foward tip of the diagram, then motions to the other in the dorsal area, nearly right in the middle between the command deck and the bow of the ship, "- and here. There don't appear to be any signs of pirates in the system currently, but you all know better; It's highly possible that they are using cloaking or stealth technology on their ships."

The holo zooms back out to full, marking the courses of both the dropship to the Longhauler, and the battlecruiser towards Hammer's Star.

"Your mission will be to take a dropship and investigate the condition of the ship, secure it's crew and passengers, and neutralize the threat, if there is one. In the meantime, the Adamanthea will continue on it's way to Hammer's Star. We will rendezvous with you all within the week, as per the orders of Captain Prinnith.

"Are there any questions, men?"

((OOC: No worries, Ale. We'll try not to get too far ahead without you!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin salutes, then speaks "Sir, any information on what they where hauling, and how many personal they had?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

8. - Top - End - #8

Zair had no questions, briefings never had all the details. Thats why they were brief. Still Zair's role seemed clear enough. The longhauler had been damaged and Zair was to make sure it worked enough to get them to Hammer's Star within a week. While he would support the other objectives as much as he could, but he would have secondary role at best when it came to fighting or dealing with the crew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

"Sir, Spaceman 2nd Class Wood, I would request the specifications of the dropship we will be using."

10. - Top - End - #10

The general nods to Quin, answering his question first.

"Unfortunately, we don't know what they have on board, yet. We don't know how many are on board, either. For a ship that size, we're probably looking at three full rotations of crew, plus passengers. We're still awaiting a reply from the authorities on Nova Station regarding their crew roster and cargo compliment."

He looks to Robert, regarding him as he replies to his query next.

"A standard 20-man, drive-capable jumper. It won't get you as far as the Adamanthea's stardrive, so we'll be waiting for a little while. If we're lucky, we'll both make starrise in the system at the same time. I'll assume you're asking because you'd like to know if you're going to be piloting it?"

11. - Top - End - #11

Casca

Casca filled away the mission parameters within his memory banks, and then raised his (non-chainsaw) arm. When he spoke it was in an obviously artificial voice. Sir, if we are attacked by hostile forces, should we attempt to capture?"

12. - Top - End - #12

The general regards the android as he would any actual living being, but before he can speak, the sergeant, who appears to be more in charge of the mission pipes up as he steps forward.

"Personally, I'd prefer them however you can get 'em, private! Dead or alive, it don't matter!"

The general pauses and stares at the sergeant.

"With all due respect, we'd much prefer them to be alive. That way, their trial can deem them worthy of life or death. However, if they shoot first, you have, by all means, the right to shoot back in defense. However, I'd prefer you to use discretion in dealing with such criminals."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin sits back down, having no further questions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

14. - Top - End - #14

"Well, men, if that's all, the-- Yes, you in the back?"

A Marine in the back stands up, giving a quick salute and a big $hit-eating grin... The man beside him shakes his head, burying it in his hands, while the woman on the other side stares incredulously at him.

"I've got a question, sir. How much do we gotta pay to get the fcuk offa this mission roster?"

Before the general can even reply, the sergeant is up again, nearly ready to tear across the room to strangle the troop, his face red as he hollars.
    "PRIVATE! You stow that $hit right now before I stow it fo--"

And the general interrupts him, patting his shoulder.
    "Please, I'll answer this one." He glances to the marine, giving a tight smile. "Private, you'll have to fork over half a year's pay to get off this mission roster. Because that's how much it's going to cost us to replace the escape pod we put you in. And that's bare. Without the normal emergency amenities that the escape pods usually have. Just you and that cold, dark shell, drifting through space until you either die within a couple weeks, or someone actually has the gumption to rescue your sorry, pasty white ass. Is that understood, private?"

"Sir, crystal clear, sir!"

And the marine salutes and seats himself.

"If that's all, then you have one hour to gather your gear and meet up at the dropship in landing bay five. Dismissed!"
    Last edited by decemberism; 2007-11-30 at 11:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin salutes, and exits, shaking his head at the Marines outburst. This was the excitement he had signed up for. He polices his bunk and prepares his gear, making it to the docking bay five minutes early and standing at ease.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert nods to the general, "Yes sir, I am qualified to pilot that class of vessel" he adds with a grin, "I'm not too bad at it either".

After the briefing is over, he salutes with the rest and moves out to collect his gear. An hour later he arrives at the docking bay fully loaded. He is no longer in regulation uniform, instead he is clad in a black, form-fitting jumpsuit. On his head is a pair of thick goggles. A large black duffel bag bulges and rattles with various unidentified pieces of equipment.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wood joins several other marines on deck, each one clad in combat armor and carrying a standard-issue plasma rifle as well as a small hardcase. Slowly, the rest of the company joins them, all armored and armed the same. Some carry different bits of gear secured to their armors... Engineers, field medics... A couple of them even carry larger guns in place of rifles and wear heavier armor; Heavy-Armsmen.

One of the riflemen steps up beside Wood and nudges him, chewing on a piece of gum, grinning.

"Hey Wood... You lookin' forward to playin' hero again? How many you think there are? Ten? Twenty?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert laughs and drops his bag to the ground. "Actually I think the whole operation is a setup. See, they way I figure it, there's a whole Thuldan legion sitting in that freighter just waitin' to jump on us. Looks like we are gonna need bigger guns."

19. - Top - End - #19

Casca

Casca walked into the docking bay, articulated joints moving silently. He spotted the large group of marines on deck and makes his way to them. "I see that everyone is ready. I would hate to see anyone die because of unprepared ness."

20. - Top - End - #20

Zair

The Fraal arrived at the appointed time. As an Engineer he didn't have quite the same combat gear as the fighters. He had to lose some weapons to carry toolkits, and Fraal's weren't known for their great strength, and that limited him to just the essentials to do the job.

21. - Top - End - #21

Overhearing Robert, one of the heavy armsmen grins, hefting his larger gun and aiming the muzzle towards the upper bulkheads of the landing bay. For the size of what seems like a miniturized artillery cannon, it looks like it could easily take out a ground squad with one good shot...

"Hey Wood! This gun big enough for ya?"

Another of the marines pipes up from nearby, eliciting a small chorus of laughter from most of the gathered troops: "You only wish, Boychuck."

A third marine behind Casca slaps the synthetic with a heavy, armored hand. laughing.

"We're like Boy Scouts, Cas; We're -always- prepared! And, if we're not? Well, at least we'll make it to our final destinies!"

Shortly, all the appointed marines for the mission are in the landing bay, all geared up and ready to go, making short conversation. Soon after, a couple techs stroll out of the dropship, pushing an equipment cart down the ramp. Following them, the sergeant steps down the loading ramp, clad in his command armor, his rifle secured to his chest, leaving his hands free. He moves to stand before them...

"Marines, Attention!" he barks, echoing through the bay. Most of the two-squad team quickly snap to, a couple straggling along before they ease themselves straight and clap a boot to the deck plating.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin snaps to, standing rigidly at attention, and saluting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

23. - Top - End - #23

Casca

Casca snapped to attention, focusing his visual sensors on the sergeant.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Heels locked, back straight, head forward, sphicter tightened. Gotta love the Navy...

25. - Top - End - #25

Zair

He comes to the proper at attention position, but it small size make it easy for him to be missed.

26. - Top - End - #26

The sergeant makes a quick round among the troops, doing a quick visual inspection of the troops and their equipment. Passing Robert and one other, dressed similarly, he motions towards the dropship with a jerk of his head.

"You two, get that thing hot and ready to jump ship. Wood, take guns, Svenson on stick and nav. Coordinates are already locked." He turns to the rest of the troops. "They rest of you, inside! Stow your gear and your guns and strap down! MOVE IT! MOVE IT!"

At the command, the clatter and stomps of armor plating and heavy boots against the deck fills the landing bay, and soon the majority of the soldiers are inside. Along the sides of the troop deck rests a section of seats, each one composed of a bucket configuration with a heavy strap-based harness, similar to racing harnesses. Between each seat is a guncaddy to vertically secure medium- and large-sized firearms. Underneath each seat is a drawer large enough to fit most of everyone's personal kits... Engineers and meditechs have several larger footlockers to stow their gear in, just offside from the ramp.

In the center, facing towards the ramp and beside a small set of steps leading up to the pilot/gunner cabin, rests the command chair, outfitted similarly, but with a small set of screens mounted on a swiveling panel.

In the floor, several panels can be seen, allowing access to several larger storage areas below the main deck.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert gestures at the ship's guns and replies to the heavy armsman, "That's the kind of guns that I like to see, could be bigger though...".

Robert stows his bag in a locker, and heads up to the gunner's seat. He straps in and draws a fine wire from his headset. This wire is plugged into the set into the main consule, which calls up the tactical readout on his HUD.

"Let's see what we have to work with today..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dammit Janet! Link
    Last edited by Alebeard_Thunderax; 2007-12-05 at 01:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Zair

Carrying his gear through the group and onto the ship, the Fraal stops at on of the larger footlockers. Drop off his various tool kits, his load becomes much lighter. Moving toward his set Zair quick adjust all the straps down to their smallest setting and then straps himself in

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin quickly moves to a free seat, stowing his gear and then strapping in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

30. - Top - End - #30

Casca

Having no gear to store, Casca just strapped himself into a seat and patiently awaited liftoff. He turned his head and spoke to the marine next to him. "If I had emotions, I would be exited. This is what I was made for, after all."