New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Why no Cloister now?

The author of this strip has a tendency of spreading out his little Chekov guns and hide their meaning until the moment arrives for them to fire.

I've been thinking that we have seen several sendings in this book which should clearly be an indication that Xykon did not put up the Cloister spell that prevented the party from reaching Haley and Belkar in Don't Split the Party.

Now the reason why from an in-character perspective is easy to explain, Redcloak wants Jirix to have an open channel which could be important if anything happens to the rift in Gobtoppia.

But what about an off-play reason?
    In other words, is this a slight hint that perhaps we should ponder if anyone is going to be sending a message from the outside or possibly a non-epic character would teleport and join in at some point?

I'm betting on either Hinjo (prophecy) or Miron (That cliffhanger in the desert can't possibly be something the party doesn't find out about)

Any other guess who might show up?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why no Cloister now?

Ooh! I think I know this one!

Xykon probably doesn't care about letting Redcloak talk to anyone. I think he's just saving his good spell slots for the dungeons. Narratively, we already needed O-Chul and Lien to use and receive sending spells to get information to the OOTS and to Hinjo.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Does Cloister use a spell slot when he casts it from his headband?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Lien and O-Chul's ledge was out of range?
    Also maybe the effects of the last time Xykon cast it havent worn off yet and since the people targeted are still affected even outside of the area, he hasn't bothered recasting it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    It would seem that he doesn't cast it from the headband; it's merely a focus needed to cast the spell. (That said, whenever it is cast, Dorukan's yellow casting aura is seen, so Xykon's initial assessment might be wrong.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Epic slots work differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Xykon likely has only two epic spell slots (maybe three). It is very possible he starts his day with Epic Mage Armor which means a spell slot down. So if he uses Cloister then he possibly won't be able to use Superb Dispelling that day.

Also it is very much possible that Cloister has other costs than spell slots. Given the large area of the effect and that there is no noticeable backlash damage or need for ritual casting (other casters contributing spell slots) it most likely costs XP every time it is cast (and/or has a longer casting time, probably the full 11 minutes).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It would seem that he doesn't cast it from the headband; it's merely a focus needed to cast the spell. (That said, whenever it is cast, Dorukan's yellow casting aura is seen, so Xykon's initial assessment might be wrong.)
    Given the nature of the spell, if I had to model it in 3.5 terms it would be a mythal that uses that headband as a capstone (since a focus or spell components are not part of epic spells outside the Mythal seed).

Honestly I think 2e's True Dwemers were by far superior as a system to build epic spells with, especially if you want to build spells that also fit a narrative.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    Honestly I think 2e's True Dwemers were by far superior
    They might have erased themselves from reality, but these guys had fully-functionning automatons when nobody else had even figured iron out, they built a god and they took exactly zero **** from anybody (D)Aedra included.

Gotta respect that.
    This is an Elder Scrolls joke.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Xykon likely has only two epic spell slots (maybe three). It is very possible he starts his day with Epic Mage Armor which means a spell slot down. So if he uses Cloister then he possibly won't be able to use Superb Dispelling that day.

Also it is very much possible that Cloister has other costs than spell slots. Given the large area of the effect and that there is no noticeable backlash damage or need for ritual casting (other casters contributing spell slots) it most likely costs XP every time it is cast (and/or has a longer casting time, probably the full 11 minutes).
    A single casting of Cloister lasts at minimum 21 weeks, so I don't think spell slot preservation or casting time would be realistic impediments here, although maybe Xykon was feeling extremely impatient and didn't want to miss even a single day of searching. XP costs likely wouldn't be an issue either, given the constant dungeon delving they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well they're at the north pole and not a major, central, well known (former) human capital city. It's also the last gate. He might just not see the point of keeping people from figuring out which gate he's at since there's only the one left. The bugbears might have asked him not to too for some reason and he was in a good mood from gaining exp so he agreed.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Guys you are missing the point...

I'm not asking here why Xykon wouldn't cast the spell. I gave a reason myself.

I'm asking for a potential off-play reason why the author wouldn't want him to do it.
    Those are two different things entirely.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

We've seen Xykon cast Cloister, and it did not take 11 minutes. It seemed to be instant. While we can sometimes infer stuff happened off panel, that should never be the starting approach to things that appear to happen in real time (and in this instance it just seems wrong).

Like others, given the likely duration (at least 21 weeks, likely over 27) it seems like a poor excuse for not casting it.

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    But what about an off-play reason?
    In other words, is this a slight hint that perhaps we should ponder if anyone is going to be sending a message from the outside or possibly a non-epic character would teleport and join in at some point?
    Cloister would have prevented communication with O'Chul and Lien.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing that comes to mind is that Redcloak told Jirix they could Send to him for help.
    We haven't seen it on-screen, but Redcloak may well be chatting with Jirix every week for status updates.

The Dolyesian explanation is undoubtedly that Lien and O-Chul needed to communicate with the Order, but in-universe I'm guessing Redcloak was the one who convinced Xykon not to burn a slot on it so he could maintain "intelligence on any potential invading armies" or something.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-29 at 05:41 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Guys you are missing the point...

I'm not asking here why Xykon wouldn't cast the spell. I gave a reason myself.

I'm asking for a potential off-play reason why the author wouldn't want him to do it.
    Those are two different things entirely.
    I think this is sort of backwards. What narrative reason would Rich have to show Xykon re-casting Cloister? It's already served its story purpose; there's no reason to have him cast it again. (I suppose this could always change, of course.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I think this is sort of backwards. What narrative reason would Rich have to show Xykon re-casting Cloister? It's already served its story purpose; there's no reason to have him cast it again. (I suppose this could always change, of course.)
    Not to mention Team Evil was being rather lax until Durkon came in, and they're in the middle of the North Pole. Not exactly a place most people will want to go to.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The in-game reason is very likely that Xykon saw no reason to cast the spell because, besides himself and a handful of people who he would like to kill, nobody even suspects there is anything of interest at the pole.

The out of character reason may involve many of the same reasons given in previous posts, but I also suspect something I've been waiting for is soon to occur.

We know about the IFCCs vessel and are awaiting its appearance, but what about the factions mentioned by the demon roaches?

I suspect that the other factions will begin to put a foot in the door in the relatively near future, and Cloister might make that problematic.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    We know about the IFCCs vessel and are awaiting its appearance, but what about the factions mentioned by the demon roaches?

I suspect that the other factions will begin to put a foot in the door in the relatively near future, and Cloister might make that problematic.
    If you do a bit of splintering, there's plenty of factions, and more to the point, Rich's reply to a comment about the "9 factions" is that the roaches lied.

"Team Evil, Paladins, Order, IFFC, Serini" is five as is, and at the time there were even more players left in the game like the Linear Guild and the like. Not to mention you could categorize "O-Chul/Lien/MitD" as being separate from the Paladins as a whole, Redcloak vs Xykon, etc etc. One way or another, it isn't particularly relevant.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-29 at 07:20 PM.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    If you do a bit of splintering, there's plenty of factions, and more to the point, Rich's reply to a comment about the "9 factions" is that the roaches lied.

"Team Evil, Paladins, Order, IFFC, Serini" is five as is, and at the time there were even more players left in the game like the Linear Guild and the like. Not to mention you could categorize "O-Chul/Lien/MitD" as being separate from the Paladins as a whole, Redcloak vs Xykon, etc etc. One way or another, it isn't particularly relevant.
    The numbers and composition of other factions is not so relevant to my point as the fact that some, (at least one,) are not currently present, and a Cloister might inconvenience them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The numbers and composition of other factions is not so relevant to my point as the fact that some, (at least one,) are not currently present, and a Cloister might inconvenience them.
    Even more relevant to your point is that the roach-claimed faction count is irrelevant

(More seriously, I'm not sure if IFFC's arrival would be stopped or not, but having Cloister up when they act would probably raise more questions about the mechanics of it, and that'd get messy)
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-30 at 12:34 AM.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm betting on either Hinjo (prophecy)
    Prophecy? What prophecy?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Prophecy? What prophecy?
    There's a bonus strip where Sangwaan (the blin Azurite seer) tells Hinjo that Belkar will save his life twice.

He's done it once already. So, unless you count this (which you shouldn't), Hinjo is due to get back to the plot before the Belkster bites it.

Which wouldn't surprise me.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Are we sure there is no prophecy?

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Oops! I mean Cloister!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Even more relevant to your point is that the roach-claimed faction count is irrelevant

(More seriously, I'm not sure if IFFC's arrival would be stopped or not, but having Cloister up when they act would probably raise more questions about the mechanics of it, and that'd get messy)
    Eh, Celestia can bypass Cloister, so it would make sense if the IFCC could, too.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Eh, Celestia can bypass Cloister, so it would make sense if the IFCC could, too.
    Summoning spells have a specific exception built into it for them. Teleportation spells do not, but epic magic can overcome that as we saw with Darth V.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Are we sure there is no prophecy?
    There is no prophecy, citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Summoning spells have a specific exception built into it for them. Teleportation spells do not, but epic magic can overcome that as we saw with Darth V.
    Ghost!Roy wasn't summoned into the cloistered area though. He just kind of fell in.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Ghost!Roy wasn't summoned into the cloistered area though. He just kind of fell in.
    But Celia was. As was Lirian (which was the reason for the loophole in the spell).
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #30

But Celia was. As was Lirian (which was the reason for the loophole in the spell).
    Yes, I know about that loophole. My point is, rather, that we have seen a cloistered area accessed from the outer planes without resorting to epic magic or exploiting that loophole.