New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default New Worlds, Strange Artifacts IC

There is a white flash of light and a piercing, keening scream. The whole world seems to burn and your bodies are covered in hundreds of pinpricks. The light sears and flashes even brighter for a moment, and then the light is gone and you begin to feel an intense falling sensation, and as you open your eyes you realize you ARE falling.

The world is rushing up to meet you in streaks of green, a vast plane of grass is rushing up to meet you. To your left and right, you all see 4 other humanoid figures falling alongside you. Screams are ripped from your throats as the ground get closer and closer, and then an inch before you smash into the green below, you cease falling.

For a moment you hover an inch above the ground. Your eyes reflexively look up, where 10 figures stand before you in a line. An elven looking woman with bronze hair and flowing regal robes waves a hand and you are all righted and left standing on your feet.

"Welcome" says another woman, this one standing in a beautiful golden dress that reflects the light. Her hair is white and her eyes shine like stars, not metaphorically but physically glow even in the light of day "We have been waiting long for your arrival. I'm sure you are confused, and uncertain of where you are. That is expected. But please, do not be afraid. We mean you no harm."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You are all up, please describe your characters and then whatever else you want to do is up to you
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-07 at 07:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: New Worlds, Strange Artifacts IC

Kristan stands to his full height and looks at those that fell with him as well as the assembled elves thinking to himself, Why is it always elves…. Muttering under his breath he looks to those beside him, “Was anyone hurt?”

He was a tall imposing figure, his aasimar heritage not well hidden by any means although those less astute might think him some sort of elf.

Radiating out his divine sense to see if anything evil lurked within those that spoke to them he assumed he already knew what it would tell him.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

The strange figures standing around you do not register as Celestial, Fiends, or Undead on your divine senses. But they seem to be some kind of power, they are strong, and are most similare to celstials. There power is so palpable you can taste it on your tongue.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

One of the figures was a goblin woman dressed in armor. Two handaxes almost leapt into her hands as her eyes scanned the room for threats. Once she determined there was no obvious danger in the area, she lowered he axes slightly and straightened into a less threatening stance. Even though her mind was buzzing with questions, she didn't speak yet.

Show
    DO I need to do any perception checks to get a sense of the general area?
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If no one answers about being hurt Kristan would take a small step towards the beings as he slides his shield onto his arm. ”You have pulled us here for a reason, I would know that reason, now.”
    I like the globe warm...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Astraxia

Astraxia's tail (and a lot of brown, stripe fur) is standing on end after falling and nearly hitting the ground like a stone. She was tall, with a stature somewhere between wiry and gangly. Her eyes blink to adjust to her surroundings, emerald windows to a warm soul that is caring, though right now a bit rattled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    “Was anyone hurt?”
    "Yes, my wits," Astraxia responds in a forced calm tone, "As in scared out of." She brushes back the auburn on top of her head and takes in a deep breath.

"Right. So. What the big guy here said.." Astraxia points to Kristan. She doesn't step forward as he did, and instead studies these new people for what kind of intent they had.

(Insight (1d20+5)[25])
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Amafrey

One of the new arrivals is slender Half-Elf woman apparently in her mid to late twenties and esoterically dressed. She is of average height, and strikingly with pale skin, white hair (magically altered) and green eyes, which currently rove around her with surprise, suspicion and (mostly) curiosity.

"That is impressive magic," Amafrey admitted. She glanced over at the tall male who had spoken and smiled ruefully. "I am unhurt. This isn't the first time I've been whisked away from where I was."

Amafrey glanced at the mysterious figures in front of her. Where these the gods?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check just in case Amafrey might recognise any divinities present:

(1d20+4)[22]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"This? Oh it's just a trifle, little one! Oh there's so much one of my children like you can learn so much here!" the Elven woman laughs with a smile.

"Magic"" the first woman sighs, then turns to the 5 new comers
    "We've called you here because our world is in great peril. I'm sure you are very confused, and all will be explained if you just give us a moment here. But the short version for those of you who are impatient, is that we are the Avatars of this world, and there is a threat that we cannot defeat on our own. We require hero's, hero's that cannot be found here, much to our chagrin."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    It seems like a vast expanse of green grass with no end, it looks, unnatural.

Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    Nice Nat 20! They clearly have good intentions, they seem confident in the nobility of whatever actions they have taken. And they seem...scared? All but the tall, gaunt, and cloaked gentleman near the back looks like they are terrified, but these strange, terrifingly powerful entities hide it well

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    They aren't deities. It's not that you don't recognise them, and you don't recognise them, but also they exude a different energy than even the few clerics you've met exhibit.
    They seem to be leagues more powerful than your patron but they're just, decidely not gods.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Manami stands to the side, checking that her swords and other weapons are still in place.

At the comment about someone's wits, Manami says dryly, Scared isn't hurt.

To the beings that... summoned(?) them, Manami looks toward them. The question then, is, where are we?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Currently, Takahashi Manami, you are in a pocket dimension, a temporary limbo of our creation. But the land you are destined for is Caria, a land that, I've been told, is quite different from your home."

She looks around at everyone with a glance, a regal smile on her face as she opens her arms
    "Are there any other interruptions or might we begin to explain why you are here?"

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Manami says dryly, Scared isn't hurt.
    Astraxia smirks at that comment. She appears to be amused by it, but she holds her tongue. Instead, Astraxia just puts her hands on her hips to await the explanation of why they're all here. She seems to be more at ease now that she got a look at these strangers that summoned the group.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-10-07 at 10:08 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

There is a practice in Manami's home. Some of the monks practice an art they call Zen. It is a process of enlightenment. manami always said she could never find it, but the monks often said that her pronouncing her ignorance of herself was often the first step on everyone's journey.

But that didn't mean that she didn't learn anything.

You already have. But, please. Continue?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Heroes? After a moment's consideration, Gloria replaced her axes in their holders. If she was in a pocket dimension thing, fighting her way out probably wasn't an option. If she wanted to get out of this place, she'd have to go along with what these people wanted for now. Later she could figure out if this was something she wanted to involve herself with. In the mean time... she had been looking for a new job.

At least this wasn't a tavern.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2021-10-07 at 10:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kristan visibly relaxes and awaits the explanation.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-10-08 at 07:01 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Amafrey

Amafrey's green eyes in disbelief at the term 'hero' being applied to one such as herself. They must be desperate indeed!

Though she was itching with questions and curiosity the warlock forced herself to stay quiet and keep listening.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Where to begin, I wonder?" she asks, looking to her left and right at the others standing with her.
    "Perhaps we shall begin with who, and what, we are. Those of us standing before you are Avatars, I have been told that we are very similare beings to the gods of your realm, but we are also worlds apart. We are each a physical manifestation of a differen't element of our world, and we are named after the same. I am Light. Avatar of Light." as she speaks she gestures to the Elven woman beside her.

"I am Magic, and I think you'll find that how my art works here is quite different from your home." she says with a mock bow and smile.

Next a Gnoll whose forms seems to shift slightly steps up.

"I am Growth, Avatar of progress, I keep things from getting boring" he says with a churlish grin.

Beside him a Dryad like woman with golden skin, cornstalk colored hair, and green eyes slaps him upside the head before stepping forward.

"I am Nature, Mother Nature to some. My role should be clear to you, as I see your minds are not simple like this ones."

Next, a dwarf steps up with a rust red beard, and watery blue eyes.

"Craft" he grunts "No explanation needed"

Next is a completely androgenous creature steps up next, vaguely human, but you are unable to place a true race or sex.

"I am Civilization, new ones. And I am grateful that this time, our heros have come from a world with laws and order."

a Yuan-ti woman with long beautiful hair and minimal scales laughs and lays a hand on civlizations shoulder.

"Don't scare them, Civ, they'll think we make a habit of this. We don't, dears. But we have been forced to this option before, long ago. I am life, by the way, and I must say, you are all so unique!" she claps her hands with a regal and motherly smile "I am sure you shall do wonderfully."

A broad shouldered orc clad in shining gold armor steps forward next, a grumpy looking Halfling under his arm.

"I am war, and this little slacker is Emotion. He is protesting because he would rather be in a hammock by a stream than here."

The halfling huffs.

The last to speak is at the back, and as he steps forward his brown, nondescript travelers cloak is drawn back to reveal a friendly face framed in brown hair, pale skin, and matching brown eyes. He waves awkwardly at the party.

"I am Death, keeper of the afterlife. It is nice to meet all of you." he looks at the others "It is incredibly rude to keep these poor mortals in anticipation for so long, and I'm afraid I'm on a tight schedule, I've only alloted 30 minutes for this, if I go much longer, we could see another ghost swarm getting loose, and the paperwork will be indescribable.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 11:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Yes, yes, you are right, Death. We don't have time to waste. Magic?"

Magic nods and waves her hand, causing a rippling image of a sprawling land to appear before all of you.

"This, is Caria, our home."

The meticulate landscape of this magically created image shows sprawling deserts, dense forests, and flowing rivers in cool mountains throughout a massive singular continent, with islands trailing it's coast.

"We, the Avatars, have existed here for centuries, nuturing, protecting, and guiding this land and her people. We are much like your "gods", beings of immense power associated with ideas or concepts, beyond that of mortal scope. But Avatars differ from meer dieties in several ways, chiefly in that we are free to interact with and roam the mortal world without repercussions, not as meer avatars, but in full, fearsome power. And because we do not derrive our might and existance from worship, we simply exist, as we have always existed. With power that is our because it has always been.

"I'm sure your wondering why, if we have all this power and influence, we have called meer mortals, strangers, from another realm to aid us." Magic says, smoothly taking over, and waving a hand as the magical image alters, now showing a half rotted gourd with blazing black light pouring from eyes and a mouth carved into it, it rests atop a dark, billowing cloak of shadows.

"This is why. It is a creature as old as ourselves, a blight on our land banished from another realm, those who sent it unaware that they were condemning it's blight to a sentient universe. It brings shadow and decay, and corrupts the hearts and minds of all who come near it. Normally, such a creature would not be a threat, it would be wiped out instantly by our combined might.

"But there are....complications, with it's erradication. This monster, and indeed it's brethren which have since been slayne, are cursed by the very magics that banished them. These demons, these Outsiders, can only be killed by beings from there own original worlds. So, bit by bit, inch by inch, we have consolidated our power on today, the Solstice of Genesis, and have summoned to this world warriors from the Outsiders first home. each time, they have found and killed their own banished, and each time they have driven the others underground, where they hide regaining strength, waiting for the champions to die out before they strike again. But the final Winnowing is upon us, as only this last enemy remains, and then our lands will finally be free."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

’So this threat is from my world? And I assume the rest of us are as well? Kristan says as he looks at the odd collection of ‘heroes’ standing with him.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-10-08 at 06:29 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Light nods
    "Yes, correct on both fronts. Although in our foes case, it has been here for thousands of years.

Now, each of you was chosen for your power, morals, skill, and connection to one of us. You must understand, in Caria, all supernatural abilities stem from your connection, devotion, and relationship with an Avatar. It is through this patronage that mortals rise above their limitations."

She waves a hand and 5 of the others step in front of their corresponding chosen.

Death steps before Kristan with an apologetic smile.

Nature gazes into Astraxias eyes as she steps in front of her.

War tosses Emotion to a surprised Craft and steps forward with a nod of respect to Manami.

Magic smiles brightly and waves as she steps in front of Amafrey.

Glorias eyes are drawn upward as Change steps forward, then slowly follow him down as he shifts into a mobile with a sly grin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Manami watches, trying to be nonplussed by everything. She probably manages a look of strained stoicism.

When the Avatars step forward to each of them in turn, Manami bows in return for the nod given to her by War.

I can appreciate being joined to War. It is what I was trained for. But you said in order to grow my supernatural abilities, I need this connection? I have no supernatural abilities. Just my fists and my steel.

She touches her hand to the hilts of her daisho when she mentions them, a gesture that seems long ingrained in her.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    ’And I assume the rest of us are as well? Kristan says as he looks at the odd collection of ‘heroes’ standing with him.
    "The Sword Coast, near Neverwinter," Astraxia answers, describing the approximate whereabouts she's residing lately. "I'm Astraxia, by the way. Might as well have introductions for the rest of us now that the avatars had done so."

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    Nature gazes into Astraxias eyes as she steps in front of her.
    Astraxia studies Nature's face, curious to know what she's thinking, but not wishing to cause a delay with unnecessary banter.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-10-08 at 07:27 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Neither does she"
    He says gesturing to Astraxia.

"You will both need to draw on our power to survive this challenge. All of you will."

Show
    just a note, ki is a supernatural ability. Regular people don't just run on water and catch arrows, it's a power that you gain through physical study and your own will, but it is still mystical in nature. In this world, war is the patron of those who use Ki. And warriors in general
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 07:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Amafrey

Amafrey scrunches her pretty face in distaste and holds up a palm to forestall Magic coming closer. "I won't lie I'm curious but I already am in debt to a powerful supernatural being; I have no wish to gather new masters."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Magic laughs and shakes her head.

" I would not call this arrangement something so barbaric, Elfkin. We do not demand your service for nothing in return. I know you crave to hold onto the magic in your veins, but tell me, reach out, is the chain of your pact still so tight here? No. No it is not. It's as weak as a string, your master has no power here, celestial, fey, demons, even your gods cannot exert power here without our say. And if you were to aid us, we could sever this link entirely, extending it even to your world. While maintaining or even boosting your magic. It is, after all, my Name, young one, I can teach you more of it than you ever thought existed."
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 07:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Amafrey

A gleam entered Amafrey's green eyes and for a moment the young half elven seemed quite taken aback - but then she rallied and shook her head.

"Pretty words often disguise ugly truths, and I know you naught avatar. I have no love for my mistress but I know her well." She folded her arms across her chest stubbornly. "I will find my own path without you and whatever gifts you promise."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria nodded along with the instructions, trying to conceal her nervousness and excitement. Nervous, because while she was certainly aware of the existence of gods and divine beings, none had ever taken interest in her and that could be dangerous. But there was excitement too, because this was amazing! None of her old companions would believe this. It seemed like the adventure of a lifetime.

When she was approached by Change, she raised an eyebrow. "Me?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"A noble Aspiration to be sure" Light nods.

"but a luxury neither you nor we have. As magic said, we will not demand this of you without compensation, but we ARE demanding it. We will not be throwing you into this task without proper means of success, but you will not be able to return to your world until you have done that which you have been summoned for. Though such coersion leaves a sour taste in our mouths, and we will grant your deepest wishes in recompense, we simply have no other recourse. If left unchecked, this monster spells doom for Caria, and only mortals from your realm can stop it. And the Solstice of genesis comes only once every hundred years, we cannot afford to wait that long to summon more willing champions. It must be now, we will accept no other out come, lest our people be doomed."
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 08:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    Gloria nodded along with the instructions, trying to conceal her nervousness and excitement. Nervous, because while she was certainly aware of the existence of gods and divine beings, none had ever taken interest in her and that could be dangerous. But there was excitement too, because this was amazing! None of her old companions would believe this. It seemed like the adventure of a lifetime.

When she was approached by Change, she raised an eyebrow. "Me?"
    He smiles and nods

"Ive always been partial to Kobolds, Goblins, and Gnolls. I often take their form in respect to their cunning and ingenuity. And you- well, you certainly bring change. Changing minds about Goblins, changing opinions, stereotypes, expectations. And Your rage, it comes from a place other than anger, you are a force I find most interesting little one. I know you shall succeed in this endeavor, because you are not afraid to change and Grow"
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 08:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

And... Manami begins, thinking about her words before she chooses them. A lot of the mistakes in her life were owed to not having thought them through well, or even at all.

What if... we refuse?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"We will not hurt you or force you." Death says, giving the others a long look, and then he sighs.
    "But we will not send you back either. We can do so only once a century and only once the Outsiders presence stops inhibiting our power to pierce the veil. If you choose to not aid us, you will find any powers you rely on will not work here, and you will not find it easy to adapt to the world. And I cannot speak to the actions of the denizens of Caria if they learn of your choice, but I can promise no such knowledge would pass from my lips, death is equal to all. And all that besides, you will be condemning innocents to death if you do not aid us."

Spoiler: insight check DC 18
    Show

Death seems uncomfortable, like his words are not the full truth, but he's not hiding it from you. He's hiding whatever it is from the other Avatars.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-08 at 08:35 PM.