New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Alternate Venomfire forms

My DM has decided that there are no dinosaurs in our campaign. I've read a lot of recommendations for using fleshrakers as a good form to access Venomfire, but without dinosaurs is there a consensus on the 2nd best or other good wildshapes I could use instead? We're currently level 11 at the moment. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Alternate Venomfire forms

No animals, really. You have Vermin Shape feat? Aberration Wild Shape Feat? There's maybe a Large Plant creature or two at level 12, from obscure sources (Dragon Magic, Bestiary of Krynn Revised). Does that help?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

There's some good ones with Aberration Wildshape, IIRC.

The Shrieking Terror has five or ten bites, all with poison, but that's only at high levels (15 or 20 HD). The Grell has ten tentacles, but while the paralysis effect has a Fortitude save and seems very poison-like, it isn't technically a poison.

The Rukanyr (FF) is what I might recommend. 7 HD, three bites with poison, and some other nice abilities. Looks rather bizarre and might intimidate foes from the start:

Alternately there's a plant in Sandstorm - the Ironthorn. It's only got two poison attacks, but the poison is pretty nasty itself (paralysis for 1d4 minutes), and it's got some good defensive / grappler abilities.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-10-09 at 01:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sadly I didn't set up for Abberant Wildshape, and I get the feeling the game is going to end before we hit level 15. The Ironthorn looks very cool though, thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is there any way to give bite attacks poison via a spell or feat? An 11-headed hydra would do venomfire really well.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you get access to dragon wild shape (min 12th level), I believe you will find dragons with poisonous breath weapons.
    The Ssvaklor could be a good candidate for what you plan to do, although with 15HD could come online too late.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

for vanilla forms all the snakes and specifically Dire snake have poison.

Nifern (SK) has a poison sting and blindsight, it is a dog looking thing.

Gas Spore (LoM) may or may not have a poison, I think it should be considered poison as any spell that affects poison also affects it...

Elder Viper Tree (EDwP) also has a poison attack but again you gain access to that at level 15...