New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Any way to optimize this weird Binder trick?

This is entirely for fun. Just realized if you break requirements for a bound vestige as a binder more than once, you get additional -1 penalties each time, stacking, untyped. Meaning you could with the right vestige and the right transgression get very large negative modifiers over time.

Is there somehow a way to make someone else share penalties affecting you, so that this could be weaponized?

Again, silly and farfetched, though I am reminded of John Constantine deliberately making incompatible pacts with three demons so that they would be forced to either aid him or fight each other for primacy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Any way to optimize this weird Binder trick?

If you find a way, don't tell anyone - submit a build using it to the current round of the E6 competition!
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Silver Tongue (OA) allows you to change the attitude between two people using your Diplomacy check. You have to be from the (human) Dragon clan, but no other prereqs.

It's not rules-legal, but if you make a diplomacy check to change the attitude of one NPC to another with a -100 on the check, I'm sure some DMs would interpret that as "well, I guess they hate each other now!"

but that's all that comes to mind.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tome of Battle's Insightful Strike can, if you look at it weirdly, under the right light, could possibly be helpful here:

"As part of this maneuver, make a melee attack. If this attack hits, you do not deal normal damage. Instead, you make a Concentration check and deal damage equal to the check result. Your Strength modifier, your weapon’s magical properties (if any), and any other extra damage you normally deal do not modify this check (including extra damage from class abilities, feats, or spells)."
    You roll your concentration check, get -100, and that's your damage. Normally, you would increase this to 1, as all damage has a minimum of 1, but you do not deal normal damage, and increasing it to 1 would modify the check. You could walk around, demon haunted, and strike someone in such a way that completely heals them because you're too distracted.

But it might not work, as the general rule says you do a minimum of 1 damage. BUT it does specifically say you deal damage equal to the check result and nothing else. So, who knows. No sane DM would allow it.

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

Are there any abilities that have an effect level or duration based on how badly you failed a check or save?
    One possibility that comes to mind would be finding someone with Bluff, and willingly sinking your Sense Motive into the negative forties to allow them to convince you that various 'facts' are true- you could create a set of false beliefs to fool Zone of Truth or Discern Lies.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    Are there any abilities that have an effect level or duration based on how badly you failed a check or save?
    One possibility that comes to mind would be finding someone with Bluff, and willingly sinking your Sense Motive into the negative forties to allow them to convince you that various 'facts' are true- you could create a set of false beliefs to fool Zone of Truth or Discern Lies.
    I mean, your character would believe their character thinks that's true. Bluff isn't Mindrape or anything so extreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGirl

You folks already exceeded my expectations! <3

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm slowbrewing a counterspell showcase that could/might use this.

Its based around how if someone is under a sonic effect that procs a save each round, and you countersong yourself, the enemy 'must' use the result of your perform check. so, rolling low, really low, on your perform check would then make them fail all subsequent saves.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

If you can find some way to put a ranged attack roll on it and put it on a throwing weapon, the Friendly Fire spell combined with the Masterslaying weapon quality would allow you to smack yourself and therefore others automatically with it.