New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Help me build team duncewaffle!

I'd say no to Blackadder. In most incarnations, his thing is that he's too smart and cynical for his own good, engaging in overelaborate plans that fail in comical ways. He's not stupid, just callous and greedy and his main problem is that he's in a comedy world that won't let him succeed.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Weren't there some cast members in Blackadder that would qualify, though? Lord... Flashheart, or something like that, or Baldrick? I think those were some of the resident imbeciles... like I said, not that familiar with Blackadder. Should really get around to watching it one of these years...
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

In order to add a healer to the party I offer, against my better wishes, Dr Watson.

The original Watson, as written by Conan Doyle, is far from a duncewaffle. However in films and TV it has become fairly normal to portray Watson as a Duncewaffle. This is to fill the need of the medium of a character who the average viewer feels smarter than. In particular I would offer Nigel Bruce’s Watson as a duncewaffle candidate being moderately dim and all bluster. I think of Basil Rathbone as the apogee of on screen Sherlocks, even if there are other more true to the book sherlocks out there.

Watson would be a cleric who maybe has dipped into fighter for a few levels.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Weren't there some cast members in Blackadder that would qualify, though? Lord... Flashheart, or something like that, or Baldrick? I think those were some of the resident imbeciles... like I said, not that familiar with Blackadder. Should really get around to watching it one of these years...
    Lord Flashheart is a comically exagerated Ace protagonist. Bit of an idiot, but shown as comically hypercompetent and charismatic.

The various Georges are fantastic Duncewaffles, though. Baldrick too.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pip pip tally ho.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-10-26 at 03:27 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'd say no to Blackadder. In most incarnations, his thing is that he's too smart and cynical for his own good, engaging in overelaborate plans that fail in comical ways. He's not stupid, just callous and greedy and his main problem is that he's in a comedy world that won't let him succeed.
    Blackadder the First would though. He's every bit as callous and greedy as all the rest, but he has the brains usually associated with at the very least a George, if not Baldrick.