New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Looking For New Wargames

See title. I've really only played Warhammer 40k, and I'd definitely like to branch out a bit.

Preferably looking for free games or games with free quickstart materials, but depending on the game, I could be persuaded to drop a few dollars.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Looking For New Wargames

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    See title. I've really only played Warhammer 40k, and I'd definitely like to branch out a bit.

Preferably looking for free games or games with free quickstart materials, but depending on the game, I could be persuaded to drop a few dollars.
    Well if you want cheap miniatures :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Kings of War. You can play it with cardboard squares representing the units and if you like it then you can choose to start making units. Upside, mantic lets you go to official tournaments with any models not just theirs so you can pick your preferred cheap option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I would highly recommend Gaslands. It isn't really wargame like, but I think fits in how most people actually use the term. Good solid rules, cheap models (moded hot-wheels), and a pretty active community.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sizeable collections of Mage Knight are very affordable, and Conquest rules encourage large forces.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Well if you want cheap miniatures :P
    Those are some very sweet papercrafts, not gonna lie.

On a similar note, there's also BrikWars and Mobile Frame Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #7

Ninth Age is a free fan-made game that was originally based on Warhammer Fantasy, but is now developing its own IP due to copyright reasons.

I am definitely not just recommending it because I'm on the team making it.

For my tastes, it's actually a bit tournament heavy and light on fluffy/casual style, since it was originally made by ETC people based on tournament comps for Warhammer you might be familiar with if you play 40k, but we got better about it lately. They started putting out supplements for stuff like expanded magic and terrain and more armies, plus background materials. It has rules for every army, but the full background and illustrated books are very much a work in progress.

Main reason I'm recommending it is that the quickstarter also comes with free print&play paper miniatures.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-10-12 at 10:25 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8

So, first off, thanks a ton for the recommendations!

Second off, I'm more looking for cheap RULES than cheap minis. I've got a decent collection I can improvise with.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Some stuff you can look at, depending on what genres and scales of wargames you're interested in:

Perfect Captain has a number of their own sets of rules available for free download; they request that you make a charitable donation, but you don't have to. All of their rules are historical, mostly focused on the medieval and renaissance periods. My experience has been that some of these are pretty clever and interesting, but the editing isn't always that great.

Junior General also has a bunch of scenarios/rule-sets available; they're intended to be educational, so they're all historical, and generally on the simpler side. They also have a large collection of paper miniatures available for printing.

Freewargamesrules is just a wiki devoted to cataloguing such. Obviously, there's a lot of stuff there, of varied quality.

And One for All! is a neat set of swashbuckling rules that Eureka Miniatures has on their website for free. They're pretty simple, but I've had fun with them. They're designed for Three Musketeers -type stuff, but I recently ran a Conan game with them, so there's some flexibility.

WRG's (that's the Wargames Research Group) history page has some old editions of some of their rules. Again, mostly historical. A lot of these rules have more modern descendants, but you could look at the first edition of DBA to see if more modern editions of that or Hordes of the Things (HOTT) interest you, and so forth for other games.

The 2nd Edition of GHQ's classic Micro Armour rules (WW2) are free on Wargames Vault, which is a generally good online storefront for cheap rules (and they have some free stuff, too).
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So, first off, thanks a ton for the recommendations!

Second off, I'm more looking for cheap RULES than cheap minis. I've got a decent collection I can improvise with.
    Both of the lego games I linked have rules that are available for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Both of the lego games I linked have rules that are available for free.
    So they are. Thank you!

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

I am a pretty avid wargamer so have some thoughts, but first:

1. What do you like about 40K?

2. What do you hate about it?

3. Do you want to use 40K minis for your new games?
    *This Space Available*

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    I am a pretty avid wargamer so have some thoughts, but first:

1. What do you like about 40K?

2. What do you hate about it?

3. Do you want to use 40K minis for your new games?
    1) I like the customization. Was more present in older editions, but I like being able to tweak and optimize my army. (Note that I don't like grievous discrepancies in list-building to impact the game. Ideally I'd want a perfect list to only maybe have a 10% advantage over a general competent list.)

2) I don't like its lack of balance. I'd like a wargame to decided by tabletop skill, not list building or having the right models.

3) Probably, yeah. I've sunk a lot of money into them, might as well use 'em. :P

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

1 and 2 are a really tough proposition for any game. It is tough to balance a game that allows a lot of Customization.

That being said, here are some suggestions:

1. One Page Rules
    2. Rogue Stars
    3. Stargrave
    4. Rampant Stars
    5. Five Parsecs from.....
    6. In the Emperor's Name
    7. Zero Dark
    8. Squadhammer
    9. Tomorrow's War
    10. Stargrunt
    11. Rogue Planet
    12. Planet 28
    13. Star Army 5150
    14. Fivecore
    15. Fistful of Lead
    16. Star Breach

You can find many of these on The Wargame Vault or with some googling on the internet.

I have reviews of Rogue Planet, Rogue Stars, Tomorrow's War, and Stargrave on the Blood and Spectacles blog, and some battle reports for some of these games there as well. With that being said, I think Rogue Planet maybe your best bet.....
    Last edited by Easy e; 2021-10-22 at 09:47 AM.
    *This Space Available*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    10. Stargrunt
    Free from GZG's own website.

Considerably better than the alternatives, it is what I played until Maneouvre Group was written (and partly responsible for inspiring said game to be written).

Simple and elegant, not simple and crude, rules, easy vehicle construction. There is not really anything to optimise though, but by the same token, there are no army lists to be beholden to (nor points values, it's a game designed for scenarios).

Side note: I strongly recommend Maneouvre Group itself (though it doesn't meet the OP's criterion), it has a unique approach to command and control (i.e. it makes you actually have to care about really complicaaed thinks like turning your turret and driving your tank...) - and movement, for that matter, since in MG you CAN actually cross the entire board in one bound, just frack help you if anyone stops you when you do - and while written for WW2 to 20110...

Spoiler: Works fine for scifi, too
    Show

Issue 2 (which is essentially an update after ten years of the authors continuously playing it, but is mostly just polish and a few teaks) is in the works in the next few months, and I have personally ensured that that is about 150% more readable with the same pendantry I apply to everything else I do.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Battletech?
    Classic is plenty fiddly if you're interested in it or you can go with Alpha Strike if you want a more streamlined experience. Balance is tricky, depending on era played; clan v clan or inner sphere v inner sphere is fine, putting clan v inner sphere introduces some challenges. Cost is low; $50 for A Game of Armored Combat gets you 8 minis and most of the rules, Total Warfare (for classic) or the Commander's Edition for Alpha Strike will run you another $40 (if you can find them), mini collection can be as cheap as you like since most people are fine with 3d prints, cardboard cutouts, you name it. Unit rules are online and free.

You can probably play Battletech for a solid decade on an investment of $100-125.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoyed Stargrunt, back when I had a group, and we used it for everything from Victorian Colonial wars and Martian Invasion to Viet Nam to Traveller. One thing to be aware of is that a platoon built as 3-4 squads doesn't have enough maneuver units, so you probably want to build it by sections or fire teams.
    The main thing, though, is to look around for a group and see what they're playing. In my case, there's no point studying DBA/DBM or Furioso when the group is playing Impetus.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.