New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What’s Loki’s plan for Hel

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    So? We saw how Greg fed off the party and simply cast restoration on them.
    It wasn't that big of a deal.
    Restoration's a 4th level spell. You need to be a 7th level cleric to have a 4th level spell slot. Most clerics don't get that high.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

They don't need to be good. They can still be allowed to walk around freely, so long as they don't actually commit any wrong doing. Roy had no problem letting Greg join the party under the assumption he doesn't do any particular evil deed.
    But Roy didn't know that Greg was holding Durkon hostage. As far as we know, every vampire has a prisoner, the original soul. This is a wrong doing and a reason to destroy vampires on sight.

It might be possible for a vampire to have a kind of symbiotic relationship with the host. Or perhaps there is a way to set the soul free to go to the afterlife without destroying the vampire. In those cases, allowing the vampire to exist as long as he doesn't commit a crime might be fine.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Several reasons actually. One is that Loki might offer them protection.
    Loki teaches that the undead are, like, totally gross and stuff. And if gods could just change things on a whim, Thor would still have red hair, Odin would be of sound mind, and dwarves wouldn't think trees are their mortal enemies.

Not gonna happen.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Loki teaches that the undead are, like, totally gross and stuff.
    Does he? Given who his loved daughter is and her current predicament? Remember who said Loki teaches that.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Does he? Given who his loved daughter is and her current predicament? Remember who said Loki teaches that.
    She also turned undead despite Loki almost certainly being an evil god, so the giant needed some kind of way to justify how that happened. Summoned monsters are great cannon fodder too, and anarchic creatures do indeed come from limbo. You're talking like she's incapable of saying things that are true.

6. - Top - End - #36

Remember who said Loki teaches that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    She also turned undead despite Loki almost certainly being an evil god
    Aye. Could be summed up in one word, even: corroboration. Plus, it's not massively self-serving, so much less reason to doubt to start with.
    Does he? Given who his loved daughter is and her current predicament?
    What does her current predicament have to do with anything? We know gods can't change on a whim against the mortals beliefs.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-16 at 06:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Loki teaches that the undead are, like, totally gross and stuff. And if gods could just change things on a whim, Thor would still have red hair, Odin would be of sound mind, and dwarves wouldn't think trees are their mortal enemies.

Not gonna happen.
    Loki is the best loop hole finder from the gods we've seen so far.
    He has some limitations, sure, but I'm sure he'll find his way if he wishes.

Parents think a lot of stuff their kids do is dumb or gross. But they (hopefully) tolerate it on occasion for their kids sake.

Or of course get someone else to do it for him.

8. - Top - End - #38

Loki is the best loop hole finder from the gods we've seen so far.
    How so? Seems like Thor is clearly better.
    Anything to back this up?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

And all the goblins we saw were evil until the ones we saw that weren't.
    When did we see some that weren't?

In our world we don't have Detect Evil spells. In the OotSverse Evil is not a product of how one is born, but is a product of what one has done. For a creature to show as Evil it has to have committed Evil acts.

Goblins don't have to be Evil, but if one is, it has earned that status by doing Evil deeds.

The subsequent argument presented a case that supported the unLawfulness of killing Evil creatures who were not caught committing crimes.

In OotS, Good and Evil, Law and Chaos, are not inherited, (or assigned by the Monster Manuel.) They are earned. And we may never see the deeds that earned them. Do we ever see how Roy earned his Lawful Goodness?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm pretty sure the Giant has made his opinion on undead very clear.

Granted, we're definitely not supposed to agree with everything Redcloak says at all times, but to me the framing of that page very much reads like an author trying to get a point across.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Given the existence of non-evil ghosts -and the fact that even Redcloak appears to only specifically be talking about corporeal undead:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html

"bits of skin and bone and dark energy, glued together by magic into the shape of a man"

it seems clear that extrapolating from Redcloak's claims to "All undead, in-universe, are exactly as Redcloak claims", is IMO likely to be inaccurate.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post

Granted, we're definitely not supposed to agree with everything Redcloak says at all times, but to me the framing of that page very much reads like an author trying to get a point across.
    When Redclaok's talking in that scene, he's missing an eye because his so-called "puppet" who
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    teixked him into murdering his beloved brother and then made him raise that brother's corpse into undeath because that was easier than face his own guilt
    won't let him regrow one.

I don't think this scene tells us as much about the undead as it tells us about Redcloak's psyche.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I think the precise method of killing her also says more about Redcloak than the undead itself - at that point, he really could have coup-de-graced her, or otherwise used some spell to kill her quickly.

Oh sure, Tsukiko was a crazy bitch, but let's be realistic, if he was being 100% pragmatic he wouldn't have had killed her like that. And frankly, Command Undead is more like an advanced Domination effect than anything.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

When the wight scene and Redcloak's speech on the undead comes up I always like to point out that he treats bone-and-flesh goblinoids as tools too, and that an array of spells to mentally control living creatures exists.
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Also it's a rare kind of author who uses thr villain as their mouthpiece.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    When the wight scene and Redcloak's speech on the undead comes up I always like to point out that he treats bone-and-flesh goblinoids as tools too, and that an array of spells to mentally control living creatures exists.
    Yeah, the big reason he specified undead is really because that’s Tsukiko’s schtick.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post

I think both can be true - that undead are presumptively dangerous to the living, but also that Redcloak is deluded when he thinks controlling them is the best means available to achieve his ends.

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Living control spells are far more limited though. Part of the point of the Tsukiko scene wasn't to show you that Redcloak's worldview of undead was 100% right, rather it's to show you that undead control doesn't have any of the safety clauses (like actions against a subject's nature) that the living versions do. That alone makes assuming undead autonomy should be on par with that of the living to be an inherently more dangerous stance to hold.

Concluding therefore that destroying even undead who aren't actively threatening someone can be right, or at least not wrong, because of that danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

To be fair, many cleric domains grant similar levels of control for non-undead.

An Earth Domain cleric can control creatures with the Earth subtype. Same with other "elemental domains".
    A Plant Domain cleric can control creatures with the Plant type - even intelligent ones.
    A Scalykind Domain cleric can control creatures with the Reptilian subtype.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    To be fair, many cleric domains grant similar levels of control for non-undead.

An Earth Domain cleric can control creatures with the Earth subtype. Same with other "elemental domains".
    A Plant Domain cleric can control creatures with the Plant type - even intelligent ones.
    A Scalykind Domain cleric can control creatures with the Reptilian subtype.
    Clearly ecological devastion can be right, or at least not wrong, because of that danger.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Clearly ecological devastion can be right, or at least not wrong, because of that danger.
    What ecosystem are undead part of? What negative impact would destroying all of them have on the world?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What ecosystem are undead part of? What negative impact would destroying all of them have on the world?
    That's not a one-to-one analogy, I'll grant you.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #52

HalflingRogueGuy

What ecosystem are undead part of?
    I believe undead are responsible for overripe bananas. So it’s mostly the banana bread ecology.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-10-18 at 03:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I believe undead are responsible for overripe bananas. So it’s mostly the banana bread ecology.
    Certain varieties of undead are also the primary predators of humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, orcs, etc. Apex predators are a vital niche in any ecosystem.

24. - Top - End - #54

HalflingRogueGuy

Certain varieties of undead are also the primary predators of humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, orcs, etc. Apex predators are a vital niche in any ecosystem.
    That’s only true if you consider a sentient mosquitos who can turn you into a mosquito an apex predator.

(I mean, sure… mosquitos kill more people than all the other animals put together, even including other people! So I guess they’re apex?)
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-10-18 at 05:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

They're not. For starters, apex predators self-regulate by reducing their numbers if they start to overconsume their supply; Shadows and Wights and Mohrgs etc don't care, left alone they'll devour every living thing on the planet eventually. And if you got rid of every last one of them, the real "apex predators" like Dragons and Mindflayers would still exist and actually reach an equilibrium.

Undead are a pestilence that, if it weren't for faiths specifically designed to artificially keep them in check, would have overrun the living long since.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #56

They're not. For starters, apex predators self-regulate by reducing their numbers if they start to overconsume their supply; Shadows and Wights and Mohrgs etc don't care, left alone they'll devour every living thing on the planet eventually.
    Is it too trite at this point if I pull out humans as analogous here?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

They're not. For starters, apex predators self-regulate by reducing their numbers if they start to overconsume their supply; Shadows and Wights and Mohrgs etc don't care, left alone they'll devour every living thing on the planet eventually.
    Apex predators don't INTENTIONALLY self regulate, except maybe spreading out further if they're looking for food. They just starve to death if they over consume the supply.

Likewise, it's implied wraiths and other things that need to eat can lose their vital force.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

28. - Top - End - #58

My mistake, forgot to make my previous post blue.

29. - Top - End - #59

Is it too trite at this point if I pull out humans as analogous here?
    The planet will survive us, one way or another

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Likewise, it's implied wraiths and other things that need to eat can lose their vital force.
    They don't starve actually; the craving builds to the point that they'll lose control the next time they're faced with whatever it is they eat, but they can't actually die. Nor can they truly be sated. Both are pretty massive problems for an ecosystem without outside intervention, which is exactly what clerics represent.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #60

They don't starve actually; the craving builds to the point that they'll lose control the next time they're faced with whatever it is they eat, but they can't actually die. Nor can they truly be sated. Both are pretty massive problems for an ecosystem without outside intervention, which is exactly what clerics represent.
    Not entirely true. The Libris Mortis described some undead as having diet dependencies. While they couldn't be destroyed by being deprived for too long, they could enter a state of permanent (until somehow fed) immobility if they went long enough without feeding.