A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help me sell out, GitP. Please.

I HAVE RECEIVED A RESPONSE

"While we don't really send out review copies to specific forum members, I can put this in front of our community folks to see if they can support you in some way"

.....Before you say anything.

Honestly?

I didn't think I'd get a response at all.

They give copies to Morrus at ENWorld, because he runs the place. If I were the illustrious Mr. Burlow here at GitP, I'd likely receive books, no problem.

I'm just a forum user. Which is an entirely correct and fair thing to say, let's all be honest.

The fact that I got this response makes me hopeful something could be done.

Legitimately, I see some YouTubers getting books and my topic views outweigh their video views. And I showed that data in the email I sent to the person at WOTC.... which, being honest, is why I think I got a response.

So.... I'll keep everyone updated.

And to everyone... Truly. Really. Thank you. Thank you all so much. I wish I had the proper vocabulary to express how kind you've all been.
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I HAVE RECEIVED A RESPONSE

"While we don't really send out review copies to specific forum members, I can put this in front of our community folks to see if they can support you in some way"

.....Before you say anything.

Honestly?

I didn't think I'd get a response at all.

They give copies to Morrus at ENWorld, because he runs the place. If I were the illustrious Mr. Burlow here at GitP, I'd likely receive books, no problem.

I'm just a forum user. Which is an entirely correct and fair thing to say, let's all be honest.

The fact that I got this response makes me hopeful something could be done.

Legitimately, I see some YouTubers getting books and my topic views outweigh their video views. And I showed that data in the email I sent to the person at WOTC.... which, being honest, is why I think I got a response.

So.... I'll keep everyone updated.

And to everyone... Truly. Really. Thank you. Thank you all so much. I wish I had the proper vocabulary to express how kind you've all been.
    Congratulations/good luck.

I recommend, still, starting a blog (just transcribing your posts to them), or even making short youtube announcement videos, even if all they do is repeat your rumors. It will give you a format that they're used to seeing.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Congratulations/good luck.

I recommend, still, starting a blog (just transcribing your posts to them), or even making short youtube announcement videos, even if all they do is repeat your rumors. It will give you a format that they're used to seeing.
    I don't disagree.

However. A small peek behind the curtain, as it were:

I have five young boys, with a sixth on the way. From eleven years old down to six months, not counting the bun in the oven. Two of which are special needs, nonverbal Autistic. I work 60 hour weeks, every week. I go to bed at 8:30pm to wake up at 5:30am, except Fridays, which is D&D night.

While I'd love to do more than I do now, I won't have the time to do anything like that for a few years, at least.

If the fine people at WOTC decide to add me to the list of people who get preview copies, they won't be sharing the books with me.

Instead, the books would be shared with this whole community. And that's what I'd love for them to understand. In between meetings at work, or while sitting on the couch holding my son, I can post here and talk about D&D. Share what I know. Happily do AMAs on things, like I did with the Ravnica book when it dropped. I can do this forum. Happily, and with dedication, like I have been for quite awhile now. I'd love to expand upon that further, and take the next step, with this forum. Not with some blog I'd have for appearances sake.

The topics I make here have more engagement that some blog users, YouTubers, and twitter influencers multiple times over. Ideally, that is what I'd love for them to recognize, and it is on that merit that I believe a member of this community should be on the list to receive review copies to share them here. If its me, or Rich Burlow, or a moderator here, or anyone.

And as my topics and posts show... I can find time for topics and posting a little more often than I should during work >_>
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'd like jaapleton's name added to the list of people that get advanced copies.
    I am BoutsofInsanity and my name isn't a metaphor.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I'd love to see this happen! It might b a long shot, but it's always good to include the old-standing communities in product engagement!
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't disagree.

However. A small peek behind the curtain, as it were:

I have five young boys, with a sixth on the way. From eleven years old down to six months, not counting the bun in the oven. Two of which are special needs, nonverbal Autistic. I work 60 hour weeks, every week. I go to bed at 8:30pm to wake up at 5:30am, except Fridays, which is D&D night.

While I'd love to do more than I do now, I won't have the time to do anything like that for a few years, at least.
    Congratulations on the kiddos, especially the new one on the way. Kids are amazing.

And yeah, also a big time commitment. Best wishes to you and your family.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like GitP forums specifically because there is friction that keeps only people invested in there opinion here. No twiterers or tubers posting in bad faith, hoping for rage engagement.

What I'm saying is, I would like for Jappleton to be added to the people who get advanced copies of these books to build hype.
    yo

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It would be useful to have a mechanically proficient perspective on advance books. This is something missing from the broader D&D community as far as I've seen, especially from the player side. That's something this forum, and jaapleton as a representative of this forum, would provide to help the optimization-focused players get interested.

Like honestly, it's pretty slim pickings for mechanically sophisticated takes on material. I've watched many of the various YouTube channels who do optimization/builds/analysis and, with a few exceptions, it ain't great! Not to mention I don't really want to watch a 45 minute video about two subclasses that just repeats watch their features are and adds "Sounds pretty cool, I'd probably play an (insert most obvious race choice) of this!" But setting aside me being a curmudgeon, forum posts are often a superior format to the YouTube video when trying to ascertain the content of an upcoming book and whether it's worth the purchase.
    Last edited by Evaar; 2021-10-18 at 06:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

I have five young boys, with a sixth on the way.
    You poor bastard I have half that number and they keep me running around like crazy.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2021-10-18 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

WotC;

Another fine mess you've gotten me into....