New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Ability Score Substitutions

So recently there's been a push to make races more modular, with ability score increases being decoupled from race in revisions and recent races.

But... Are there any rules for just using a different ability score for features? Like a Dark Elf that can use Wisdom for their dark elf magic or a monk that uses Cha for their unarmored defense or saving throws.

Or you know, anything like that?

Feat, Subclasses, alternate rules? Does anything like that officially exist?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Ability Score Substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So recently there's been a push to make races more modular, with ability score increases being decoupled from race in revisions and recent races.

But... Are there any rules for just using a different ability score for features? Like a Dark Elf that can use Wisdom for their dark elf magic or a monk that uses Cha for their unarmored defense or saving throws.

All new races since Tasha's have let you pick any of the three mental ability scores for racial spellcasting, but WOTC "forgot" to include that as a custom origin rule in Tasha's, so PCs don't have access to it on older races.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    All new races since Tasha's have let you pick any of the three mental ability scores for racial spellcasting, but WOTC "forgot" to include that as a custom origin rule in Tasha's, so PCs don't have access to it on older races.
    Kind of like how they hosed PHB sorcerers and rangers vis a vis expanded spell lists. Careless.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Hexblades are often considered an excellent dip because they have a feature that lets you use cha for weapon attacks and damage. Artificers also get something similar with Int. And I don't think this matches your question exactly but monks get proficiency in all saves eventually and paladins get their auras which lets them add their cha to all their saves.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

I imagine you've hit on one of the 5.5e changes here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Like a Dark Elf that can use Wisdom for their dark elf magic or a monk that uses Cha for their unarmored defense or saving throws.
    The first one of these is fine. Players picking the stat for racial spells is no big deal.

The second could lead to some potentially overpowered multi class builds. Monk using Cha for unarmored defense would be a very strong one level dip for a sorcerer or bard.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Kind of like how they hosed PHB sorcerers and rangers vis a vis expanded spell lists. Careless.
    They saved that change so you'd buy the later books.
    It was a business choice
    And when they do come out with it, you'll love them for it
    Always remember: The DM's first job, is to make sure the players are having fun

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    The first one of these is fine. Players picking the stat for racial spells is no big deal.

The second could lead to some potentially overpowered multi class builds. Monk using Cha for unarmored defense would be a very strong one level dip for a sorcerer or bard.
    I mean, I'd love a single level monk dip for my 22 int bladesinger if that was the case lol
    Always remember: The DM's first job, is to make sure the players are having fun