New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1246 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wait what is it then?
    Bend in the door. Twist in the door. Crush in the door. It's like that scene in Avengers, except Hulk says "puny door".
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-27 at 10:52 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #422
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    I agree with Psyren though, if its just a stuck door and not a trap then you have to give some sort of staged warning like this before you hand out arbitrary damage.
    Well yeah, if the damage is coming from a trap on the door then it is not arbitrary by definition I definitely interpreted it as being from strain.

Noticing said trap would of course require a different set of skills (though high Dungeoneering might give you a bonus of some kind.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #423

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Serious question. I really don't understand why you are okay with what Bunsen_H said but would object to what I suggested? Other than some kind of bias.
    I missed this earlier, sorry. Bunsen's response was perfect for me because it was a joke answer to a joke question. My scenario was never intended to be serious. When I say stiff like that at my IRL table, it's specifically for levity while I'm surrounded by close friends. That was the perfect type of response to my frankly ridiculous hypothetical.

Psyren's, on the other hand, was a good take on running a serious answer to a joking question.

Hence, two different answers that I find work well for different reasons
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-28 at 01:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    DM: you warp reality with your confidence. The door opens. You see the same black cat twice.
    You warp reality with your confidence. The door opens.

But now the doorway leads to the first room in the dungeon because you also warped space.

After a while the party realizes there's not way to get into the room that was behind the door, and gives up.

But then they realize that the door the should be the exit now leads back into the room with the twisted door.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Player: "Grog will twist door!"
    DM: "Uh, okay, what's your strength?"
    Player: "This --" [displays ten fingers] "-- and this --" [repeats] "-- and this many!" [shows three fingers]
    DM: "Okay, roll."
    Player: "Grog got this -- and this -- and this -- and this -- and this -- and this -- and this."
    DM: "... Okay, you wrenched the door off. You also triggered a trap..."
    Grog has (+41-69) strength bonus to door twisting!?
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-10-28 at 11:23 AM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, isn’t 23 Str pretty decent too?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    You warp reality with your confidence. The door opens.

But now the doorway leads to the first room in the dungeon because you also warped space.

After a while the party realizes there's not way to get into the room that was behind the door, and gives up.

But then they realize that the door the should be the exit now leads back into the room with the twisted door.
    And that kids is why we don't dungeon-delve in the Far Realm.

Depends on edition and level. Roy is considerably higher than 23 for example, and he's not even a barbarian.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #428
    Colossus in the Playground

In real-world terms, in 3.5, yes (the greatest real-world weightlifters can lift above their heads, roughly what a Str 23 person in D&D 3.5 can lift above their head).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #429

Now I'm positing a Potion of Barbarian Strength which grants an enormous short-term boost to STR, but also an enormous smackdown to INT, which recovers much more slowly.

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Now I'm positing a Potion of Barbarian Strength which grants an enormous short-term boost to STR, but also an enormous smackdown to INT, which recovers much more slowly.
    PF Alchemist's Mutagen does exactly this, except the Int penalty and Str bonus are the same duration. It also stacks with bull's strength AND rage.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Depends on edition and level. Roy is considerably higher than 23 for example, and he's not even a barbarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    In real-world terms, in 3.5, yes (the greatest real-world weightlifters can lift above their heads, roughly what a Str 23 person in D&D 3.5 can lift above their head).
    It's pretty incredible strength in 3.5 too. Roy only has higher strength because he wears a magic belt.

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    It's pretty incredible strength in 3.5 too. Roy only has higher strength because he wears a magic belt.
    Yeah but he's in 3.5, WBL means he's expected to have a primary stat belt. Not having one means he is weaker than he should be.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Yeah but he's in 3.5, WBL means he's expected to have a primary stat belt. Not having one means he is weaker than he should be.
    Yes I understand that, but he is still no stronger than a real world person. He just enhances his strength with a belt.

I don't think the availability of str enhancing items means that people in DnD are stronger that real world people any more than the availability of calculators and wikipedia makes real world people smarter than DnD people.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

No?

In 3.5e the Belt of Giant Strength only increases Strength by 4 or 6. It’s not stupid like 5e where it completely replaces it.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #435

Yes I understand that, but he is still no stronger than a real world person.
    The question wasn't whether Roy is on par with a real world human. The question was whether his strength is "decent." And decent strength for a 3.5 two-handed Fighter of 14+ level is higher than 23.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #436

The question wasn't whether Roy is on par with a real world human. The question was whether his strength is "decent." And decent strength for a 3.5 two-handed Fighter of 14+ level is higher than 23.
    Small technicality, the question was whether a strength score of 23 was pretty decent.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think 23 str is good for a lvl 14 fighter, because you can put a belt on and be str 29. I doubt there's any humans in the Ootsverse with a higher str.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, 23 base Strength at that level is a little scary.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Uh, 23 base Strength at that level is a little scary.
    Yeah true. I suppose the usual max strength for a lvl 14 human would be 21 str - 18 plus 3 extra from level ups (so weaker than the strongest real world humans).

I don't know why Roy is stronger than 21. Perhaps his belt is actually +8, or perhaps the 29 str in the geekery thread isn't accurate.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

He's reading one of those inherent bonus tomes in On the Origin of PCs, the Constitution one I think? Could have read a Str tome too.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #441

Yeah true. I suppose the usual max strength for a lvl 14 human would be 21 str - 18 plus 3 extra from level ups (so weaker than the strongest real world humans).
    The Prodigy trait from DMG2 grants a +2 bonus to one stat, allowing a 1 HD character to be Str 20 rather than Str 18.

The Human Paragon class (Unearthed Arcana, SRD) grants +2 to one stat at 3rd level.

So, in line with the "6th level characters are capable of achieving the limits of what's possible in real life" concept, you could have a character with 3 levels in something else, 3 levels in Human Paragon (so, +1 Str from levelling up alone, as a 6HD character) , the Prodigy Trait, and a rolled Str at 1st level of 18 - and have them be Str 23 with only 6 HD.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Prodigy trait from DMG2 grants a +2 bonus to one stat, allowing a 1 HD character to be Str 20 rather than Str 18.

The Human Paragon class (Unearthed Arcana, SRD) grants +2 to one stat at 3rd level.

So, in line with the "6th level characters are capable of achieving the limits of what's possible in real life" concept, you could have a character with 3 levels in something else, 3 levels in Human Paragon (so, +1 Str from levelling up alone, as a 6HD character) , the Prodigy Trait, and a rolled Str at 1st level of 18 - and have them be Str 23 with only 6 HD.
    You're right that using one of those obscure feats might be another possibility for Roy's strength, although it might be less consistent with the unoptimised theme of the story.

I hadn't heard the theory that a sixth level character could do anything a real world person could do (without magical enhancements). I'm not sure it's so clear. The record for lifting weights above your head is consistent with a str 23 character. But the world record for lifting weight off the ground is over 6,000 pounds and that is more than double what a str 29 character can do. The strength modelling in 3.5 is obviously not perfect, so it may be most accurate to peg maximum human strength somewhere north of 23 but not necessarily as high as necessary to lift 6,000 pounds.

As an aside, I'm not sure that the records reflect the most possible. Weightlifters can increase their lifting ability long term with steroids and temporarily with adrenaline and some drugs, and those are banned from world records. I guess the temporary increases are analogous to bull str potions though.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

I should point out that not only are stats an abstraction, 23 Str does much more than just lifting weights. Even most athletes wouldn't have close to that much; there's a reason 18 Str before racial adjustments is the max.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I should point out that not only are stats an abstraction, 23 Str does much more than just lifting weights. Even most athletes wouldn't have close to that much; there's a reason 18 Str before racial adjustments is the max.
    It's absolutely an abstraction and a very simple one.

The ability to lift weights off the ground or above your heads is one of the few aspects of strength that are quantified in the rules that are able to be tracked back to the real world. For example, you can't track a +8 to hit and damage from strength and say that Deontay Wilder has more or less than that. You can compare the lifting back to what real world people are able to do so it is the only baseline between real world strength and DnD strength.

25. - Top - End - #445

But the world record for lifting weight off the ground is over 6,000 pounds
    Where are you getting that? The numbers I'm seeing from Google searching are a bit over 1,000 pounds. There's a BBC article about hysterical strength which looks at claims that people have lifted 3,000 pounds, without citing sources. It points out that the reality seem to be about shifting vehicles from pinning accident victims, which would involve lever action rather than simple lifting.

26. - Top - End - #446

I hadn't heard the theory that a sixth level character could do anything a real world person could do (without magical enhancements). I'm not sure it's so clear.
    To be exact, 6th level is where "superhuman" begins:

https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress...expectations-2

So what have we learned so far? Almost everyone you have ever met is a 1st level character. The few exceptional people you’ve met are probably 2nd or 3rd level – they’re canny and experienced and can accomplish things that others find difficult or impossible.

If you know someone who’s 4th level, then you’re privileged to know one of the most talented people around: They’re a professional sports player. Or a brain surgeon. Or a rocket scientist.

If you know someone who’s 5th level, then you have the honor of knowing someone that will probably be written about in history books. Walter Payton. Michael Jordan. Albert Einstein. Isaac Newton. Miyamoto Musashi. William Shakespeare.

So when your D&D character hits 6th level, it means they’re literally superhuman: They are capable of achieving things that no human being has ever been capable of achieving. They have transcended the mortal plane and become a mythic hero.

27. - Top - End - #447

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think 23 str is good for a lvl 14 fighter, because you can put a belt on and be str 29. I doubt there's any humans in the Ootsverse with a higher str.
    If you had meant base rather than total then that's fine. I was talking about total.

In 3.5, you should be aiming for 34-38 in your primary stat by 20 generally.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Hold up, 38? 34 is doable with inherent bonuses but 38 is really high without Raging.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #449

Hold up, 38? 34 is doable with inherent bonuses but 38 is really high without Raging.
    36 is the top end in 3.5, you're right. I had forgotten pale blue Ioun Stone wouldn't stack with the Belt.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

I mean if you take the Paragon classes or are an orc then you might be able to get that without raging but... yeah that's really high.

Extended sig here.