New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default "shined"? Most of the time that ought to be "shone" as I was taught.

I am seeing a lot of use of the word "shined" where in my opinion the word used ought to be "shone". There are cases where "shined" would be correct, but "shone" should be used for a large majority of the current uses. Of course, I was taught quite a while ago now.

I could understand if the authors in question were clearly eschewing long or complicated words to make things easier for the semi-literate, but mostly they clearly aren't, and they still use "shined", which I find odd.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "shined"? Most of the time that ought to be "shone" as I was taught.

Yeah, both are past tense verbs involving light and shininess, but they have a very different context. "The boy shined his boots, after which they shone like the sun."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: "shined"? Most of the time that ought to be "shone" as I was taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Yeah, both are past tense verbs involving light and shininess, but they have a very different context. "The boy shined his boots, after which they shone like the sun."
    Aye. Shone when alone. That is, "shined" has an object and "shone" doesn't.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Aye. Shone when alone. That is, "shined" has an object and "shone" doesn't.
    The whole sentence is kind of peculiar, but:

Lamps of warm yellow light shined on ...
    Maybe this case was "I really should be asleep" writing, but I do notice "shined" when I think it ought to be "shone", and I don't remember seeing "shone" at all, but maybe I didn't notice because it was correct?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

Maybe this case was "I really should be asleep" writing, but I do notice "shined" when I think it ought to be "shone", and I don't remember seeing "shone" at all, but maybe I didn't notice because it was correct?
    Imean, I'm the last person you want to ask about absolutely keeping to linguistic rules, but if someone asks what the rule is I can usually answer.

Strictly speaking, the lamp shone on, but as far as I care it shined and shined and left the rules behind.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

One problem is that we are so used to people getting things "wrong" we automatically mentally correct things. It is one of the main problems with proof-reading - you read what you expect to see so don't spot the errors.

All that said, we should remember that most of the 'rules' in English are more like 'strong guidelines' - they are there to be broken, but you should only break them if you know what you are doing and why.
    On the other hand the 'shined' v.' 'shone' argument is one of changing the meaning of a word, but that happens in English all the time, though usually quite slowly.

Anoher point is that somethimes there is more than one 'correct' option with the same meaning (e.g. the plural of 'fish' can be 'fish' or 'fishes', though 'fish' is the main plural) and then it becomes the editor's job to clarify how to use which version (and not the author even if they are a technical expert - if the meanings are identical they can discuss with the editor which way to write a piece but it is the editor's call). Many years ago I came across a classic example of how to get this wrong - a double-page spread in the local area newspaper (Western Daily Press in this case) about the fish in the local rivers. The article had two different uses of the plural of 'fish' - the number of individual fishes in a river and the number of different species of fishes - but it used 'fishes' as the plural throughout for both usages. As a result the artilce was very hard. This would have been a good time to use 'fish' for one plural and 'fishes' for the other to clarify which was being referenced at any time, but for some reason the editor let a good article be printed in a form that was painful to read.

I get the impression that another major problem is that people trust the computer to do the spelling and grammar checking, and whilst automated systems are a useful guide, they are not always correct; and even worse when they suggest replacements for errors they do not always suggest the right word - that that is what I think might have happened in your example.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking from experience, there is absolutely no substitute for having a real, competent, human editor look at your work.

As for the specific sentence, I'd need to see the whole thing to judge. It really is entirely context dependent which form feels correct.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-12-12 at 04:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

While my grammar isn't always perfect, I do expect grammatical perfection from my authors. The shined/shone error is one of many that I find in (mostly self-published) books. Such errors really break my immersion in the story and, frankly, make me disappointed in otherwise good (or great) stories.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think "shined" is reserved for usage with a direct object, with the sense of "made shiny", while "shone" is with an indirect object, or without an object. So:
    "I shined my shoes two years ago."
    "The sun shone upon the shoes."
    "The shoes shone back."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I think "shined" is reserved for usage with a direct object, with the sense of "made shiny", while "shone" is with an indirect object, or without an object. So:
    "I shined my shoes two years ago."
    "The sun shone upon the shoes."
    "The shoes shone back."
    Aye. Or, if you want to say it in a pithy rhyme, "shine when alone".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Shone on, you crazy diamonds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Shone on, you crazy diamonds.
    "Shine" is usually used correctly, it's "shined" that seems to be changing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    While my grammar isn't always perfect, I do expect grammatical perfection from my authors. The shined/shone error is one of many that I find in (mostly self-published) books. Such errors really break my immersion in the story and, frankly, make me disappointed in otherwise good (or great) stories.
    It's not an error. Both are legitimately acceptable grammar choices.

"The celestial light shone down through the stained glass windows."
    "The celestial light shined down through the stained glass windows."

Although the first is, perhaps, more traditional, both are legitimate usages.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    It's not an error. Both are legitimately acceptable grammar choices.

"The celestial light shone down through the stained glass windows."
    "The celestial light shined down through the stained glass windows."

Although the first is, perhaps, more traditional, both are legitimate usages.
    I'm willing to bet that "shined" in that sense is more of a neologism though (given that the rule that produces "shone" is one of the oldest in the English language and has long since stopped being productive, whereas "shined" is fully regular). I'd be interested to know its first use (as an intransitive verb), although I doubt that's easy to find.

Which then just leads into a question about prescriptivism vs descriptivism and what is "legitimate" grammar, etc.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I'm willing to bet that "shined" in that sense is more of a neologism though (given that the rule that produces "shone" is one of the oldest in the English language and has long since stopped being productive, whereas "shined" is fully regular). I'd be interested to know its first use (as an intransitive verb), although I doubt that's easy to find.

Which then just leads into a question about prescriptivism vs descriptivism and what is "legitimate" grammar, etc.
    I vote that I be the ultimate arbiter of what is "legitimate" English grammar and what is not. I shall dub my reign the "Rule of Peelee", which will double as the title for any and all such rulings.