New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

That's fair, if you read enough about gas weapons you'll learn what filtration system blocks them.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

gloating, always a popular mistake.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    gloating, always a popular mistake.
    Lucrezia caught Monahan monologing! </Incredibles reference>

Learned today: there's a wellspring, and there's a flame, and they are distinct entities. And Clankrezia believes she can destroy both by ... transmitting energy into the ground? What is she doing?
    Also, the mechanical body can't handle "the powers of life", which presumably refers to whatever it is Monahan has absorbed from the Flame.

Random question to which we'll likely never know the answer: did Lucrezia know at some point that the mechanical body couldn't handle the Queenly powers, and forget it? I still think we're getting a major plot point established subtly, between Albia's henges and Clankrezia forgetting music and chocolate - Lucrezia cannot possibly remember all that she's learned and done over the centuries. Given her backstabbing narcissism, she's likely accumulated numerous enemies who she no longer remembers betraying. Or, of course, their relatives and friends, which is a still longer list. She may also have forgotten technical information. There was a Ravenloft Lord in 3rd edition D&D, Azalin, whose curse was that he greatly desired arcane knowledge, and every morning he awoke knowing he'd forgotten everything he'd learned the day before. Lucrezia may share a form of that, but not the curse part where she knows she's lost the knowledge gained.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #1444

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Learned today: there's a wellspring, and there's a flame, and they are distinct entities. And Clankrezia believes she can destroy both by ... transmitting energy into the ground? What is she doing? ...
    Cracking the earth.
    Destroying the path by which the magic waters get to the surface in a concentrated point.
    Probably collapsing the island over the location of the spring and flame, preventing (easy) access in the future; for at least long enough to prevent queendom for Monahan.
    * my emphasis

5. - Top - End - #1445

SamuraiGuy

Cracking the earth.
    Destroying the path by which the magic waters get to the surface in a concentrated point.
    Probably collapsing the island over the location of the spring and flame, preventing (easy) access in the future; for at least long enough to prevent queendom for Monahan.
    I again raise the issue of the clankbot horde. Are they being crushed? Where are Castle and Train?

But what Clankrezia is doing also presumably precludes herself gaining access to the Spring and Flame. And she can't take over Agatha's body with a healthy, angry Monahan right there next to her. It appears that Clankrezia is committing suicide, at least of this instance of her. And she doesn't know for certain that other members of the LuHost are still functional.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Also, the mechanical body can't handle "the powers of life", which presumably refers to whatever it is Monahan has absorbed from the Flame.
    Presumably only organic vessels can 'hold on' to the power. Constructs may absorb it, like everything else, but can't retain it.

did Lucrezia know at some point that the mechanical body couldn't handle the Queenly powers, and forget it?
    Or she knows it can't, but can hold it Long Enough to get what she needs done.

Kind of like the three with V. 3 minutes ... 20 minutes...

for at least long enough to prevent queendom for Monahan.
    Monahan's still a spark, though, and as long as she has equipment, she can make rats who can dig in a reasonable time.

Something ... deeper is going to happen.

And she doesn't know for certain that other members of the LuHost are still functional.
    She does. Remember, she was rescued by LuGoons from the dome.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-05-27 at 08:45 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Colossus in the Playground

Its possible that a queen needs those things more or less constantly, so even a brief delay in getting back to the flame could be fatal. Like, the price of being queen is to be almost tethered to your wellspring of power. The time you can spend away from said spring dependent on how much you absorb and how much you SPEND. Both of them have been spending heavy and neither even made the full jump so I bet monohan will be in dire straits similar to the start of that whole "touch of the king" thing martellus had setup.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Both of them have been spending heavy and neither even made the full jump so I bet monohan will be in dire straits similar to the start of that whole "touch of the king" thing martellus had setup.
    On the upside, if she keeps burning like this, she won't have enough energy in her to explode.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

9. - Top - End - #1449

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    On the upside, if she keeps burning like this, she won't have enough energy in her to explode.
    upside for who?
    not for us readers, I like a good explosion.
    * my emphasis

10. - Top - End - #1450

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Current voting positions
    I vote "Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!"
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

11. - Top - End - #1451

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its possible that a queen needs those things more or less constantly, so even a brief delay in getting back to the flame could be fatal. Like, the price of being queen is to be almost tethered to your wellspring of power. The time you can spend away from said spring dependent on how much you absorb and how much you SPEND. Both of them have been spending heavy and neither even made the full jump so I bet monohan will be in dire straits similar to the start of that whole "touch of the king" thing martellus had setup.
    Possible, though Albia notes that following the attack by Lucrezia and the collapse of the Mirror network, it took her several years to get back home to England. So unless the Foglios forget about that plotpoint, being separated from her powersource is not rapidly and literally fatal for a Queen.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It may simply be that to maintain the queen state you need wellspring and flame. Albia may just have made the journey as a normal woman.

Tweedle's touch of the king doesn't really apply here. That was specifically engineered to hold Agatha, and the effect on him was an unforseen side-effect.

We seem to have a clear leader on the votes. I have a new page ready to post when we roll over to Page 50, but don't let that stop anyone else if I'm asleep at the time...

Spoiler: VOTES!
    Show

Title Votes Proposer and Voters
    Girl Genius XXXI: Rhaaaaa? Rawr! Wargle! 1 InvisibleBison
    Girl Genius XXXI: Why, this solves all our problems! 1 Manga Shoggoth
    Girl Genius XXXI: A giant exploding rat 2 Rockphed, TeChameleon
    Girl Genius XXXI: Falling apart despite the power! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I haven't been able to comment at all 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Maybe something wonderful 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Release the Contamination! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Never mind. Change of Plan! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: But you see, THIS is the interesting thing... 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Explosions, fires... Oh, so this is my fault? 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Secrets too big for apprentices! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Huge Doors with a "Do Not Open" Sign 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Let's Find Out For Sure!" 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I'm on your side! Ugh, Typical. 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Simplicity Itself 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Don't bother answering we'll find out soon enough 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away! 9 TheStranger, Gez, Rockphed, InvisibleBison, Agi Hammerthief, Wayson, Adaon Nightwind, theangelJean, hajo
    Girl Genius XXXI: A vain, selfish, backstabbing narcissist 3 Shining Wrath, Rockphed, Radar
    Girl Genius XXXI: Oh! I will burn you all! 2 Shining Wrath, Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Insects! I will melt you all! 2 Shining Wrath, Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I really would run if I were you 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: What? Sparks fighting? Who would have thought? 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: The power! In it's purest form! Finally! 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: Queen takes Queen, check. 1 PhantomFox, Manga Shoggoth
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #1453

SamuraiGuy

When Albia was part of the Shining Coalition, she was already a Queen, but being distant from her flame may have limited her power. Perhaps if she was near a flame she could tap she could go full-power, but most of the time had to be mini-Albia. That would make sense from a dramatic perspective as well.

I don't think Monahan will die, and I still expect Bang and her father to show up with an airship and whisk Our Heroes away from the ongoing display of malformed personalities.

14. - Top - End - #1454

AssassinGuy

I hope at least the Deep Dwellers problem will be solved by plugging the spring.
    * my emphasis

15. - Top - End - #1455

When Albia was part of the Shining Coalition, she was already a Queen, but being distant from her flame may have limited her power. Perhaps if she was near a flame she could tap she could go full-power, but most of the time had to be mini-Albia. That would make sense from a dramatic perspective as well.

I don't think Monahan will die, and I still expect Bang and her father to show up with an airship and whisk Our Heroes away from the ongoing display of malformed personalities.
    There's never been any indication that Albia personally participated in the Shining Coalition.

16. - Top - End - #1456

I suspect Albia wouldn't risk her skin abroad and her kingdom while she's gone. In England she's safe; she knows the place better than anyone else, she has her spies, mind control, and so on, plus she can personally destroy possible opponents, be it sparks or outside attackers.

She personally defeated the Cetaceans, who had destroyed half her navy, so she can turn a war around, but that might have depended on engines she had available in England.

But leaving England would leave it exposed, and we have seen that even the strongest sparks are in trouble once they leave their fortress (see: Klaus being crushed by Agatha because he unwittingly walked into the equivalent of her fortress with extremely light support). Even if Albia kept all of her powers, I could see her being bodypiled by lesser sparks, or simply being defeated by something completely unexpected.

Instead, we have seen her guide and equip other sparks (Andronicus' mace, and Gil's army). Pointing them away from England and against its enemies, I may add
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Colossus in the Playground

It may simply be that to maintain the queen state you need wellspring and flame. Albia may just have made the journey as a normal woman.

Tweedle's touch of the king doesn't really apply here. That was specifically engineered to hold Agatha, and the effect on him was an unforseen side-effect.

We seem to have a clear leader on the votes. I have a new page ready to post when we roll over to Page 50, but don't let that stop anyone else if I'm asleep at the time...

Spoiler: VOTES!
    Show

Title Votes Proposer and Voters
    Girl Genius XXXI: Rhaaaaa? Rawr! Wargle! 1 InvisibleBison
    Girl Genius XXXI: Why, this solves all our problems! 1 Manga Shoggoth
    Girl Genius XXXI: A giant exploding rat 2 Rockphed, TeChameleon
    Girl Genius XXXI: Falling apart despite the power! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I haven't been able to comment at all 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Maybe something wonderful 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Release the Contamination! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Never mind. Change of Plan! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: But you see, THIS is the interesting thing... 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Explosions, fires... Oh, so this is my fault? 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Secrets too big for apprentices! 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Huge Doors with a "Do Not Open" Sign 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Let's Find Out For Sure!" 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I'm on your side! Ugh, Typical. 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Simplicity Itself 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Don't bother answering we'll find out soon enough 1 Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away! 9 TheStranger, Gez, Rockphed, InvisibleBison, Agi Hammerthief, Wayson, Adaon Nightwind, theangelJean, hajo
    Girl Genius XXXI: A vain, selfish, backstabbing narcissist 3 Shining Wrath, Rockphed, Radar
    Girl Genius XXXI: Oh! I will burn you all! 2 Shining Wrath, Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: Insects! I will melt you all! 2 Shining Wrath, Rockphed
    Girl Genius XXXI: I really would run if I were you 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: What? Sparks fighting? Who would have thought? 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: The power! In it's purest form! Finally! 1 Shining Wrath
    Girl Genius XXXI: Queen takes Queen, check. 1 PhantomFox, Manga Shoggoth
    I wasnt saying they were the same thing, I was describing the situation as being similar in that monohan and clankrezia need frequent doses of the flame or else they quickly go downhill. And that may also be a side effect of neither getting to full queen as well. They didnt get the full jump start to perpetual queendom so they will need more power to maintain the level they have now or slowly grow to full queen status as the only one left there. Clank realizes she has lost, and is taking monohans victory from her.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I hope at least the Deep Dwellers problem will be solved by plugging the spring.
    I totally forgot that they were on a side quest.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

19. - Top - End - #1459

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jimorian View Post
    I totally forgot that they were on a side quest.
    Even the sidequests have sidequests!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

20. - Top - End - #1460

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    There's never been any indication that Albia personally participated in the Shining Coalition.
    Hmm, I always thought she was the woman depicted in the center of the coalition in Voltaire's memories.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hmm, I always thought she was the woman depicted in the center of the coalition in Voltaire's memories.
    Here, if I remember correctly.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

22. - Top - End - #1462

Interesting. There was a Pirate King involved?

Now I want to know who the one with the dragon head, one reptile foot and one booted foot is.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

At the time I thought the same, but I notice now in the last panel Voltaire says '...Even from us his closest companions. -and now I am the last.' Which given that he knows Albia survives (methods of eternal loveliness) would imply that she was not one of the companions.

24. - Top - End - #1464

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Interesting. There was a Pirate King involved?

Now I want to know who the one with the dragon head, one reptile foot and one booted foot is.
    I think that's a foot and and a shin we're seeing there. And I really doubt the woman is Albia, though it's possible.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the 'foot' on the left side is just the dragon(?) detailing on the shinguard, you can see it on the other leg as well. Which means that tiny nub underneath should be his foot, in which case it's tiny, in a weird perspective or has been removed. His head might not be human, but I think it looks like an ornate animal mask more than anything, the little shadow above his mouth but below his snout looks like it might be a human nose, and his mouth is in a weird place relative to the snout if that is his actual head.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

26. - Top - End - #1466

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    At the time I thought the same, but I notice now in the last panel Voltaire says '...Even from us his closest companions. -and now I am the last.' Which given that he knows Albia survives (methods of eternal loveliness) would imply that she was not one of the companions.
    Indeed, this alone should disqualify Albia from hypothetical membership.

Besides, how could she accept to be the underling of a continental King? That, too, should be enough to disqualify her from hypothetical membership.

Finally Andronicus Valois. The House of Valois is French. It is a universal constant that England and France can never be part of the same coalition. Third reason why Albia was never a member of the Shining Coalition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Finally Andronicus Valois. The House of Valois is French. It is a universal constant that England and France can never be part of the same coalition. Third reason why Albia was never a member of the Shining Coalition.
    Man I have bad news for you about the twentieth century.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

It's perhaps noteworthy that there does not appear to even be a 'France' in GirlGenius. Voltaire was the ruler of Paris, a powerful city-state, but not a nation state. While the existing maps suggest that the Wulfenbach Empire does not include most of the territory traditionally assigned to France (along with the Low Countries, Spain, and Italy), there's been absolutely no indication as to who controls those regions. It may be divided city-states all the way to the Atlantic (and I would not be surprised if Italy was divided between the various Popes).

In-universe this makes sense, as the divisive power of individual sparks would act as a powerful break of the unifying forces of nationalism. Only a being of such overwhelming power as Albia is truly capable of running an actual nation state of any size.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

29. - Top - End - #1469

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It's perhaps noteworthy that there does not appear to even be a 'France' in GirlGenius. Voltaire was the ruler of Paris, a powerful city-state, but not a nation state. While the existing maps suggest that the Wulfenbach Empire does not include most of the territory traditionally assigned to France (along with the Low Countries, Spain, and Italy), there's been absolutely no indication as to who controls those regions. It may be divided city-states all the way to the Atlantic (and I would not be surprised if Italy was divided between the various Popes).

In-universe this makes sense, as the divisive power of individual sparks would act as a powerful break of the unifying forces of nationalism. Only a being of such overwhelming power as Albia is truly capable of running an actual nation state of any size.
    And Lucrezia must realize this. But she has plans to rule all of Europe. The slaver wasps will help, of course, but what level of power does Lucrezia think she's going to have to rule an area 5x or 10x that controlled by the legendarily powerful Albia?

Perhaps she intends to kill all other Sparks. In which case someone better keep an eye on Othar being a double-agent (or triple, as he'd likely kill Lucrezia given half a chance).

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm pretty sure that Othar would have Lucrezia aka The Other on his "priority" list. I doubt that he would try being a double agent without first being wasped.

EDIT: Page 50. NEW THREAD!!!! - how's that for efficiency?
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-05-31 at 09:37 AM.