New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    "I'm a castle! My travels are usually accomplished by the rotation of the earth!"

Will the robotic scouts encounter Lucrezia? Or has Lucrezia already moved on past the source of the flow into Monahan's lab, and the path is clear?
    I think they're already past Lucrezia and closer to the source of the flow. Monahan explicitly hadn't found the source yet, it was behind the wall Lu wanted to blow up. I think the bots are past that wall and going deeper in.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I can't remember which of the characters said it, but where does the Castle end and Mechanicsburg begin? The Castle manipulating structures and buildings in the city are like a person moving their fingers and toes, compounded by the physics-warping properties of Spark-designed engineering. I'd say the Castle itself is not a Queen-equivalent strictly because it is not a Spark-equivalent in its own right. Its mind is copied from a Spark, but we've seen with Lucrezia that there is an essential biological element to Sparkiness and Queenhood (the exception being Agatha's dingbots, who are entirely unique so far).
    Quoting myself, which is sort-of in poor taste:
    Again I raise the question - is the Castle a Queen of sorts?
    So it's not really a Queen, I agree, but it has some Queen-like characteristics.

In Mechanicsburg, the Red Cathedral is outside the Castle's control (and view). Not all of Mechanicsburg is "part of the Castle", and on the other hand, being near Mechanicsburg when the Castle is on the warpath is also unsafe - there was some discussion among the Wulfenbach forces about how far away you needed to be for safety, and I think the legend was "3 leagues".

It's not a Queen, but it has vast power, ancient memory, and a domineering personality.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I can't remember which of the characters said it, but where does the Castle end and Mechanicsburg begin?
    Van, for reference.

Not all of Mechanicsburg is "part of the Castle", and on the other hand, being near Mechanicsburg when the Castle is on the warpath is also unsafe - there was some discussion among the Wulfenbach forces about how far away you needed to be for safety, and I think the legend was "3 leagues".
    2 Leagues, depending on which definition of a league you choose. Or if you want the more reliable, older measures, "We just stayed away from the place!"

I loved that sequence...

(Totally off the subject, but the novel notes that Strienbeck's abrupt departure from the airship just after the end of the page is eventually logged as "lost due to his own stupidity" - and his family doesn't even question it)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-01-14 at 03:23 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    (Totally off the subject, but the novel notes that Strienbeck's abrupt departure from the airship just after the end of the page is eventually logged as "lost due to his own stupidity" - and his family doesn't even question it)
    Well, it's true, isn't it?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #545
    Colossus in the Playground

Mechanicsburg and der kestle is closer to the master and paris. Its not a sign of queenhood, its a mechanical connection to the city with the ability to sense everything going on in it. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if the castle is better at it than the master was because it was literally built to do that rather than crafting the spark tech to link himself into the city like the master did. Or maybe better isnt the right term, the master can do more with paris than the castle could with his town, but thats because the master explicitly went around designing these abilities into the whole place. While the castle just exerts itself like its controlling its own body and thus is slightly more limited in what it can do, probably because even the heterodynes werent crazy enough to make the castle ALL powerful outside of its own walls. Just strong enough to help with the defenses at need.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

So what we're looking at is that Monahan has done for rats something akin to what the Jagerdraught does for humans. Wonderful.
    Seems like it. Obviously the Heterodynes Jagerdraught is special, the Jager's in general seem to be considered one of the most impressive types of monster in the world, but Monahan's rats seem to be a good match for them, similar to Vapnoople's bears.

As for the Castle, it's powers are largely speaking mundane in nature. Or as mundane as anything is in Girl Genius. The entire town barring the Red Cathedral, including an indeterminate part of the surrounding valley, is connected to the castle by various mechanisms. Remember all the clocks stopped when it was temporarily killed, the fountains stopped working and so on. Things like making the Monsters Guild sink underground and then rise again is not much different from the pistons and cogwheels that allow it to move the streets, slam buildings together and so forth.

It does have some unexplained powers, like the tower that contained more monsters than could have fit in it even while broken, the levitating stones and buildings, the resistance to time stops, the thorns that likewise resist time stops, but I suspect these are meant to simply be exemplary examples of what the old Heterodynes could do with a base as powerful as the Castle to improve upon.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. - Top - End - #547

If I recall correctly, Andronicus told Voltaire that Voltaire had clearly learned much from the Heterodynes, and I assume that he referred to how Paris could move, and drawing a Comparison to the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

I daresay that "Let's Read Girl Genius" will have significant difficulty transcribing "Eyarrrglxz"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #549
    Bugbear in the Playground

New comic.

We're jumping around a lot here. My guess is that the Foglios are putting pieces into place that require precise co-inciding events.

Which reminds me, I haven't checked Othar's Twitter in a while...
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #550

SamuraiGuy

Diplomacy a la Bangladesh Dupree is a little different.

Interesting that the former minions are so much larger. Did they get a larger dose of power water and the associated corruption?

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting that the former minions are so much larger. Did they get a larger dose of power water and the associated corruption?
    Perhaps it has to do with how big they were before being corrupted. Most fish are much smaller than a human.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

12. - Top - End - #552

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Perhaps it has to do with how big they were before being corrupted. Most fish are much smaller than a human.
    Makes sense, so the icky aquatic creatures are corrupted fishies, and corrupted whales, with nothing in between. Where are the corrupted sharks, tuna, dolphins, groupers, et cetera?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Makes sense, so the icky aquatic creatures are corrupted fishies, and corrupted whales, with nothing in between. Where are the corrupted sharks, tuna, dolphins, groupers, et cetera?
    Little fishies, big fishies...

Middle Management?

End of year review today... Not well disposed towards managers...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-01-17 at 02:41 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

One fish, two fish,
    Red fish, blue fish,
    Some are sad, and some are glad,
    Some are very, very bad!
    Some will stomp, some will Chomp!
    Some are small, some are tall,
    The tall ones try to eat them all!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

15. - Top - End - #555

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    One fish, two fish,
    Red fish, blue fish,
    Some are sad, and some are glad,
    Some are very, very bad!
    Some will stomp, some will Chomp!
    Some are small, some are tall,
    The tall ones try to eat them all!
    Shouldn't you wax poetic in the manner of Chaucer rather than Seuss?

16. - Top - End - #556

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

In the morning,
    Frothing crazy fish men,
    In the evening,
    Storming the island,

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

Ask a fish man,
    Anything you want to,
    They won't answer,
    They just scream

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

I took a fish man,
    Out to see a movie,
    Everyone else fled,
    Terrorized

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

They can't play baseball,
    They don't wear sweaters,
    There not good dancers,
    They don't play drums

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

Roly poly fish men are never seen
    Drinking cappucino in Italian restaurants,
    With oriental women, yeah

Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I think these are meant to be deepdwellers and not normal fish that got exposed, which would put them at roughly human sized at baseline.

My guess would be the concentration of the dose, the minions were presumably exposed to relatively pure corruption, while the deepdwellers are exposed to it after it trickles out to sea and disperses into the ocean water.

Enough to drive them insane and slowly kill them, not enough to make them grow vastly larger than normal... at least not yet.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Fish men, fish men,
    Roly poly fish men,
    Fish men, fish men,
    Fend them off, argh!

<snip>
    Aaaaaand now I have the Fish Heads song stuck in my head

19. - Top - End - #559

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Aaaaaand now I have the Fish Heads song stuck in my head
    Somewhere Dr. Demento applauds.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Seems like it. Obviously the Heterodynes Jagerdraught is special, the Jager's in general seem to be considered one of the most impressive types of monster in the world, but Monahan's rats seem to be a good match for them, similar to Vapnoople's bears.

As for the Castle, it's powers are largely speaking mundane in nature. Or as mundane as anything is in Girl Genius. The entire town barring the Red Cathedral, including an indeterminate part of the surrounding valley, is connected to the castle by various mechanisms. Remember all the clocks stopped when it was temporarily killed, the fountains stopped working and so on. Things like making the Monsters Guild sink underground and then rise again is not much different from the pistons and cogwheels that allow it to move the streets, slam buildings together and so forth.

It does have some unexplained powers, like the tower that contained more monsters than could have fit in it even while broken, the levitating stones and buildings, the resistance to time stops, the thorns that likewise resist time stops, but I suspect these are meant to simply be exemplary examples of what the old Heterodynes could do with a base as powerful as the Castle to improve upon.
    First I think the tower is explained by the rising monster hall scene. The castle stores things it doesn't want anyone to know about underground and those monsters were part of the castle as shown by the speech balloons in the final offensive.
    Second I think the resistance to time stops is explained by a combination of the castles' answer to Wulfenbach when he asks about it: "I don't suffer the same spatial limitations as you" and Agatha when she explains how she didn't kill the library by telling that there isn't one brain, but that the entire castle is the brain, so Klaus did stop the castles functioning within the blast area of the time stop, but not outside it.
    The floating buildings and stones seem to be common among those with a lot of power to spare like the master of Paris, Colette, the beast and the Heterodynes. I suspect this is explained by the scene where the beast is climbing up and the later confirmation that the beast does basically everything with magnets: if you small pieces of metal in your stones and have a really high power system of magnets about wich you have fine control you could manipulate practically at will. Technically it should be even possible to push non-magnetic materials magnetically if you have enough power to spare, since everything is a bit diamagnetic.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Mechanicsburg and der kestle is closer to the master and paris. Its not a sign of queenhood, its a mechanical connection to the city with the ability to sense everything going on in it. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if the castle is better at it than the master was because it was literally built to do that rather than crafting the spark tech to link himself into the city like the master did. Or maybe better isnt the right term, the master can do more with paris than the castle could with his town, but thats because the master explicitly went around designing these abilities into the whole place. While the castle just exerts itself like its controlling its own body and thus is slightly more limited in what it can do, probably because even the heterodynes werent crazy enough to make the castle ALL powerful outside of its own walls. Just strong enough to help with the defenses at need.
    I think avanka/lucrezia is also very close to the castle sure they don't control that wide of an area, but they are a very powerful being with a fully mechanical body of which they can move all parts any way they like.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's beginning to look a lot like fish-men
    Everywhere I go;
    From the minute I got to town
    And started to look around
    I thought these ill-bred people's gillslits showed.
    I'm beginning to hear a lot of fish-men
    Right outside my door,
    As I try to escape in fright
    To the moonlit Innsmouth night
    I can hear some more.

They speak with guttural croaks and to hear them provokes
    A profound desire to flee
    Their eyes never blink and quite frankly they stink
    Like a carcass washed up from the sea.

I wish I'd paid attention to that crazy drunken man.
    He tried to warn me all about old Marsh's Deep One clan.

It's beginning to look a lot like Fish-men
    Everywhere I go;
    They can dynamite Devil Reef,
    but that'll bring no relief,
    Y'ha N'thlei is deeper than they know.
    I'll continue to see a lot of fish-men
    That I guarantee.
    For the fish-man I really fear
    is the one who's in the mirror
    And he looks like me.
    He looks just like me.

23. - Top - End - #563

SamuraiGuy

Everywhere I go;
    Right outside my door,
    I can hear some more.

Everywhere I go;
    That I guarantee.
    And he looks like me.
    He looks just like me.
    Which you does he look like? The weak human, or the mighty Deep Dweller, imbued with Dagon's gift?

Uh ...

I mean, how tragic to become an icky fish creature!

24. - Top - End - #564

Fishy men, fishy men, barely even human...

No one swims like fish men
    Nobody wins like fish men
    I use gillslits in all of my decorating...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #565

Well, you have to admit Krosp is being thorough and efficient there.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Everywhere I go;
    Right outside my door,
    I can hear some more.

Everywhere I go;
    That I guarantee.
    And he looks like me.
    He looks just like me.
    I am EXTREMELY impressed!!

27. - Top - End - #567

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I am EXTREMELY impressed!!
    It's from Andrew Leman of the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #568

SamuraiGuy

It's doubtless way too early, but there has to be a thread title lurking in "Evil Sparks in an island lab smack in the middle of the problem do suggest a culprit".

"Evil sparks in a lab could be the culprit"?

But we, the readers, know that Lucrezia and Monahan are completely innocent! This time, the evil sparks are not to blame, because some other evil Spark is to blame!

I'm guessing Vapnoople, but introducing a new villain wouldn't be out of line.

29. - Top - End - #569

Beholder

It's doubtless way too early, but there has to be a thread title lurking in "Evil Sparks in an island lab smack in the middle of the problem do suggest a culprit".

"Evil sparks in a lab could be the culprit"?

But we, the readers, know that Lucrezia and Monahan are completely innocent! This time, the evil sparks are not to blame, because some other evil Spark is to blame!

I'm guessing Vapnoople, but introducing a new villain wouldn't be out of line.
    We still have the one responsible for the tainting. (The culprit to say. Who could be an evil spark in a lab. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

It took a lot of effort, but I'm now caught up with Girl Genius!

Just in time as well, apparently my copy of the RPG arrived today.

Will read over the last few pages of this thread tomorrow, need to sleep.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.