New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Depends how big they are under the surface, doesn't it? If those dozen soldiers we see are just the vanguard, there could still be more deeper in its belly.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Depends how big they are under the surface, doesn't it? If those dozen soldiers we see are just the vanguard, there could still be more deeper in its belly.
    Were it not for the claws, I would suggest eels - they get very long.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In D&D terms, though, it appears that each of the landing force is about 12' tall, so a troll-sized fighter, possibly CR 5. The giant rats are more dangerous because their bite is venomous, but we don't know if their venom even works on aquatic creatures; aside from that, they are more ogre sized, possibly CR 2.

I don't mean to start an argument about what the appropriate D&D CR would be for these creatures of unknown capability; just pointing out that a comparison of head count is insufficient. Also the landing ships have arms and claws and may be able to come ashore; even if they cannot leave the water, being grabbed might be unhealthy.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My theory so far

Evidence:
    So far we've seen evidence that the "Queen's Sources" are, in fact, wellsprings, similar to the River Dyne. Presumably, each Queen had one.

So far we've seen at least two instances of a "Source" being near a Mirror, this is not a coincidence (Although Mirrors are mobile I guess)

The Heterodynes found a way to expand a Source, increasing the river's flow.

At some point Recently, The Greate Cetaceans report the spread of a new batch of "Cursed Waters". They Suspect Albia's involvement due to the presence of "Dryfin Sparks", they came to investigate, but were distracted when they sensed Dmitri Vapnoodle.
    The Theory:

So, we have the PQC, Pre-Queen Civilization, they find the Sources and create the Mirrors. They fall.

The Queens Ascend, each Queen requires exposure to a Source, and the PQC left Mirrors near Sources, so the Queens invariably discover and use the Mirrors to connect in the Age of Queens.

The Age of Queens ends when Lucrezia kills the Queens and shatters the Mirror Network.

The "Cursed Waters" are what happens When water from a Source contaminates the Ocean. We've already seen the effects Source Water can have on organic life.

Dr. Monahan is on the Island, excavating it and working on the Mirror. Something she does (Potentially the Heterodyne technique for increasing the flow) cause the Source Waters to leak into the ocean, spreading and poisoning the surrounding area, leading to these Corrupted Deepdwellers.

Either the activation of this Mirror, or the Train and Kestle poking about, has alerted the Corrupted Deepdwellers, who are attacking the island in order to defend the Source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #335

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    My theory so far

Evidence:
    So far we've seen evidence that the "Queen's Sources" are, in fact, wellsprings, similar to the River Dyne. Presumably, each Queen had one.

So far we've seen at least two instances of a "Source" being near a Mirror, this is not a coincidence (Although Mirrors are mobile I guess)

The Heterodynes found a way to expand a Source, increasing the river's flow.

At some point Recently, The Greate Cetaceans report the spread of a new batch of "Cursed Waters". They Suspect Albia's involvement due to the presence of "Dryfin Sparks", they came to investigate, but were distracted when they sensed Dmitri Vapnoodle.
    The Theory:

So, we have the PQC, Pre-Queen Civilization, they find the Sources and create the Mirrors. They fall.

The Queens Ascend, each Queen requires exposure to a Source, and the PQC left Mirrors near Sources, so the Queens invariably discover and use the Mirrors to connect in the Age of Queens.

The Age of Queens ends when Lucrezia kills the Queens and shatters the Mirror Network.

The "Cursed Waters" are what happens When water from a Source contaminates the Ocean. We've already seen the effects Source Water can have on organic life.

Dr. Monahan is on the Island, excavating it and working on the Mirror. Something she does (Potentially the Heterodyne technique for increasing the flow) cause the Source Waters to leak into the ocean, spreading and poisoning the surrounding area, leading to these Corrupted Deepdwellers.

Either the activation of this Mirror, or the Train and Kestle poking about, has alerted the Corrupted Deepdwellers, who are attacking the island in order to defend the Source.
    This all seems plausible enough, and isolating the Source from the ocean would eventually end the Cursed Waters, and if the Mirror can be cut off from the Source as well, it foils Lucrezia's plans.

The way to cut the Source off might be for Agatha to ascend to Queenhood using it.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    This all seems plausible enough, and isolating the Source from the ocean would eventually end the Cursed Waters, and if the Mirror can be cut off from the Source as well, it foils Lucrezia's plans.

The way to cut the Source off might be for Agatha to ascend to Queenhood using it.
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure this is post-Queen-killing Lucrezia in Anevka's chassis. Agatha might be especially vulnerable if she did that.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

7. - Top - End - #337

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure this is post-Queen-killing Lucrezia in Anevka's chassis. Agatha might be especially vulnerable if she did that.
    That Lucrezia could kill Queens easily does not mean she could not kill non-Queen sparks even more easily. Lethal is as lethal does.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't think Queenification uses up the Source.

Lucrezia tells us that the Ruins here were a Queen's palace, presumably the Source here belonged to the Queen who built the place.

Plus, Mechanisburg has a very active Source, and the "Warrior Godess's Shrine" implies that they had a Queen active there during the Age of Queens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't think Queenification uses up the Source.

Lucrezia tells us that the Ruins here were a Queen's palace, presumably the Source here belonged to the Queen who built the place.

Plus, Mechanisburg has a very active Source, and the "Warrior Godess's Shrine" implies that they had a Queen active there during the Age of Queens.
    Can't speak for Queens, but we do know that running the castle takes up all the "power" in the spring in Mechanicsberg.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-12-16 at 04:48 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

That Lucrezia could kill Queens easily does not mean she could not kill non-Queen sparks even more easily. Lethal is as lethal does.
    She does not appear to have her gun with her anyhow. Probably not enough time to build another one. She's still running around in the body Tarvek made for Anevka, it wasn't exaclty designed for deicide.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In D&D terms, though, it appears that each of the landing force is about 12' tall, so a troll-sized fighter, possibly CR 5. The giant rats are more dangerous because their bite is venomous, but we don't know if their venom even works on aquatic creatures; aside from that, they are more ogre sized, possibly CR 2.

I don't mean to start an argument about what the appropriate D&D CR would be for these creatures of unknown capability; just pointing out that a comparison of head count is insufficient. Also the landing ships have arms and claws and may be able to come ashore; even if they cannot leave the water, being grabbed might be unhealthy.
    These are both good points. I was ready to buy 48 heavy troops and 4 super-heavies being a credible threat, but it feels more like an opening move. Akin to the first time we met the torchmen or when we met some of the more esoteric attackers in Mechanicsburg: there is plenty more where that came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

...And is Madwa going to go for "temporary alliance 'cause these 'ain't ours", or just going to shank Rakethorne.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, I wonder what the radius of the lamp is? A few feet, which affects only Rakethorn? The whole island including the attackers and those below? Or only those touched by it's light which means the fish folk but not our heroes hidden behind rocks?
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-12-17 at 08:00 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

14. - Top - End - #344

SamuraiGuy

Madwa now knows that Team Agatha is on the island, and also knows that Team Icky Sea Creatures is attacking. I'm counting 18 Marines emerging from the landing craft now. I think the answer to "How many Marines does an ISCLC (Icky Sea Creature Landing Craft) carry is "As many as the plot requires".

What will Madwa do? I suspect a lot depends on how deeply invested she is in Lucrezia's plot.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder what the radius of the lamp is? A few feet, which affects only Rakethorn? The whole island including the attackers and those below? Or only those touched by it's light which means the fish folk but not our heroes hidden behind rocks?
    We know it affected an entire submarine, which also eliminates line-of-sight as a vector.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I think it's the other way around. It doesn't freeze people, it allows Madwa to move outside of time.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #347

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think it's the other way around. It doesn't freeze people, it allows Madwa to move outside of time.
    This makes sense. So what will she do? Also, how long can she stay like this? If the lamp could be used 7x24, she'd already have killed everyone she had a grudge against.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Blimp crew, running from creatures: "CAN THINGS GET WORSE??"

Madwa: "Yes."

(Have we seen Madwa's got two hands again before?)

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

This makes sense. So what will she do? Also, how long can she stay like this? If the lamp could be used 7x24, she'd already have killed everyone she had a grudge against.
    I mean, even if the lamp can run indefinitely, Madwa would have to let go of it at some point, if only to get some sleep.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I mean, even if the lamp can run indefinitely, Madwa would have to let go of it at some point, if only to get some sleep.
    Indefinitely is a long time, but we do know that the lantern was holding the Storm King for a very long time. Prende was guarding the lntern, but looked to be in sleep mode when the heroes arrived a few pages earlier, so it probably doesn't need an active user.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Indefinitely is a long time, but we do know that the lantern was holding the Storm King for a very long time. Prende was guarding the lntern, but looked to be in sleep mode when the heroes arrived a few pages earlier, so it probably doesn't need an active user.
    That brings up an interesting question. How did the lamp do that? The person holding it seems to be able to move around in a frozen moment of time. Might be closer to The Flash doing one of his ludicrous feats where everything around him just stops to his perception. If the king held the lamp, he could spend an eternity in a single frozen moment, so that wouldnt have held him in stasis. Im guessing the lamp, which violetta damaged, had a lot more abilities available to it before it was smashed, and now all it can do is the frozen moment in time to its wielder.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #352

Thinking of the Baron's trick in Mechanicsburg, it's possible that the lamp doesn't need to keep working to hold someone in stasis. The Baron pushed a button, and a permanent bubble of frozen time was created. It's been years, and it's still working. Maybe Violetta didn't just damage the lamp, she mistakenly made it undo the otherwise permanent bubble imprisoning the King.

On the other hand, if the Baron's device is also trapped in the bubble, then its energy would never run out, as time has ceased to pass for it, too... I don't think that would have applied to the lamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    That brings up an interesting question. How did the lamp do that? The person holding it seems to be able to move around in a frozen moment of time. Might be closer to The Flash doing one of his ludicrous feats where everything around him just stops to his perception. If the king held the lamp, he could spend an eternity in a single frozen moment, so that wouldnt have held him in stasis. Im guessing the lamp, which violetta damaged, had a lot more abilities available to it before it was smashed, and now all it can do is the frozen moment in time to its wielder.
    I think Van Rijn and that muse whose name I can't recall right now had a better understanding of what the Lamp can do than Madwa does. She's just using its most basic ability because she doesn't know how to do more.

Alternatively, the other powers just aren't useful to her team right now. Lu doesn't seem to have anything to imprison for millenia at the moment.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I think Van Rijn and that muse whose name I can't recall right now had a better understanding of what the Lamp can do than Madwa does. She's just using its most basic ability because she doesn't know how to do more.

Alternatively, the other powers just aren't useful to her team right now. Lu doesn't seem to have anything to imprison for millenia at the moment.
    You are thinking of the Muse of Time, confirmed by Albia to be an instance of Lucrezia. How much the instance of Lucrezia working with Madwa knows about it, or has revealed to Madwa, is another question.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    You are thinking of the Muse of Time, confirmed by Albia to be an instance of Lucrezia. How much the instance of Lucrezia working with Madwa knows about it, or has revealed to Madwa, is another question.
    No, I meant Prende.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

No, I meant Prende.
    Fair 'nough. I reckon Prende knows exactly what Prende's Chronometric Lantern does.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-12-18 at 11:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357

SamuraiGuy

This does raise a future plot twist - once Agatha has the lantern, she'll need to learn how to use it.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

This does raise a future plot twist - once Agatha has the lantern, she'll need to learn how to use it.
    Yes. I wonder when she might get lessons.

(I mean, the first one is literally Page 4 - it's going to be the longest call-back in the series when it happens...)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-12-19 at 06:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Early update tonight
    Show
    Wow, Violetta snuck up on Madwa. If it weren't for timestop cheating she'd be dead. Granted Madwa is exhausted. But even still.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    Madwa is worn out, a tad cocky with the lantern, and rather focused. Even then, she sees Violetta from, what, over a dozen feet away? At a glance, given what we've seen of Smoke Knights, Madwa could probably handle Violetta should she notice from this range one-on-one. However, juggling the lantern - both the physical thing and pausing the most people - complicates this much more.

I'm thinking maybe 100 corrupted Deepdwellers each from the monsters.

Also, the lantern's effects are now more easily understood, going only in one direction. Explains how it worked in Paris.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-12-20 at 12:57 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad