New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Curious. The statue knows there is a park, but not that the monsters survived or anything about Agatha. That would suggest it still has a connection to where the guildhall was, but not the rest of the town. Or that things were set up so that ONLY a park with a boomerang key could exist there.
    Or that the Mad guildmaster successfully predicted the park when explaining it to Der Castle, but predicted a world that never was attacked by the Other- One with a peaceful mechanicsburg long ruled by the Boys and their descendants. But the monsters would have their day, they would!

Part of Der Castle, a memory of what the Monster Guild was, for a distant time where the will of all monsters called for a place of their own?

Knowing Agatha, she's rather likely to take the idea in a rather progressive direction- As long as the Fleshyards are gone, monsters are people too, in mechanicsburg.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2021-10-27 at 10:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Moloch is definitely a minion- he doesn't like it, but he is the Alpha Minion in Agatha's employ.
    He is not "a" minion but "the" chief minion.

While all the minions are eager to work for their master just because it's in their nature to be minions, Moloch indeed doesn't like it. But so far he's always ended up in situations where he had no choice but to help Agatha, because his own survival depended upon it. And his reactions to sparky stuff happening has always been either fear or jadedness, while common minions get engrossed.

There's even been a few hints -- that I admit may be dismissed as simple comic relief -- that he actually is super-human in some capability. Look at what he drinks here and the state of the mug afterwards. And Violetta's incredulity at how he managed to jump to the rafters with no smoke knight training. And of course, he is a dangerous one.

So yeah, if the whole monster/minion dichotomy is actually meant to go somewhere further than this filler story, then I'll bet that Moloch von Zinzer is actually a monster rather than a minion. That's what puts him above the common minions in the pecking order. That's what makes him actually competent. And that's what makes him actually potentially dangerous.

For clarity: I believe the distinction between monster and minion is that the loyalty of a minion is automatically acquired, just as a side-effect of the Spark, while the loyalty of a monster has to be earned and maintained. It's not a question of biology: a human can be either a monster or a minion (other roles available are Spark and victim), while a clank or construct can also be a monster or a minion (Spark and victim roles are also available, though much less frequent than for humans).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    And of course, he is a dangerous one.
    Oh, goodness! I'd forgotten about all those guys! I forget, what happened to that work crew, are they still around?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Oh, goodness! I'd forgotten about all those guys! I forget, what happened to that work crew, are they still around?
    Trapped in Mecanigsburg's time bubble.
    Edit: I miss Von Zinzer...
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-10-27 at 12:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by f00bar View Post
    We now know: Bill (and probably Barry) not returning now has Plotonium Armor ;-)
    not sure if intended, or accidental spill, or time discontiuity, though :-P
    Bill being gone doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't come back. Just that he didn't stay back.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Trapped in Mecanigsburg's time bubble.
    Edit: I miss Von Zinzer...
    I kinda miss Von Zinzer too, but I can see why he's staying in the bubble for now- having someone aggressively sane and remarkably competent would put a damper on the sparky mayhem that the main cast are gleefully perpetrating all over Europa.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I kinda miss Von Zinzer too, but I can see why he's staying in the bubble for now- having someone aggressively sane and remarkably competent would put a damper on the sparky mayhem that the main cast are gleefully perpetrating all over Europa.
    What makes you so certain he is still in the bubble?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #68

*shrug*

'Certainty' is probably overstating things, but based on what we currently know, he was in Mechanicsburg when the Take 5 bomb went off. Some bit of plot may have removed him from the area between the time we last saw him and the time stop, but nothing we're currently aware of would allow for that.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

9. - Top - End - #69

MindFlayer

Currently I am aware of a few people who have been extracted from the time-stop: Vole, Othar, Tarvek, and an itinerant story-teller.

10. - Top - End - #70

SamuraiGuy

If I were going to pick one person to say "The Baron's walking into Mechanicsburg? Then I'm running out", Von Zinzer's my choice. As previously noted, he's had a lot of experience with Sparks, and does not trust them at all. Let us agree that while we didn't see him leave, we also didn't see him become trapped, and therefore he's Schrodinger's character, both in and not in the time bubble until observed.

The flashbacks do support the idea that Moloch may have some sort of power, Sparky or otherwise, and simply not know it. Drinking the "do not drink" stuff, for example. Or being able to figure out what was necessary to get the Castle's power system back online.

Not only is he in the grey area between minion and monster, he's also in the grey area between Spark and victim.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I think people are reading, far FAR to much into throwaway gags, and a single rant of a monster with a dubious degree of information on the subject.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If I were going to pick one person to say "The Baron's walking into Mechanicsburg? Then I'm running out", Von Zinzer's my choice. As previously noted, he's had a lot of experience with Sparks, and does not trust them at all. Let us agree that while we didn't see him leave, we also didn't see him become trapped, and therefore he's Schrodinger's character, both in and not in the time bubble until observed.

The flashbacks do support the idea that Moloch may have some sort of power, Sparky or otherwise, and simply not know it. Drinking the "do not drink" stuff, for example. Or being able to figure out what was necessary to get the Castle's power system back online.

Not only is he in the grey area between minion and monster, he's also in the grey area between Spark and victim.
    The baron didnt give anyone time for that. Noone knew the drop pod was him, personally, until 10 seconds before the time stop activated.
    Moloch might have survival instincts, but he had nothing to work with.

He also isnt particularly grey in the time windows bang reported. being stuck in a time bubble is convient for that.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, you'd think the main Castle would have noticed that was there as part of the Mechanicsburg systems.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Huh, you'd think the main Castle would have noticed that was there as part of the Mechanicsburg systems.
    If the Castle can edit its own memory, it may also be able to create a mental blind spot to prevent itself from noticing anything before the time was right.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #75

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If the Castle can edit its own memory, it may also be able to create a mental blind spot to prevent itself from noticing anything before the time was right.
    Or that knowledge was lost when the Castle's persona fragmented, and was not re-integrated because no one knew it was there.

Which may mean that the Castle is going to be asserting itself when the time is ripe.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Very interesting, the Castle intentionally fragmented itself, cutting the memory of the Guild Hall and how it was hidden out of itself and putting it in the capstone statue, which then went and "hid" in the cathedral where the Castle has no power. It gave itself amnesia to save the Guild Hall, it couldn't be ordered to destroy or reveal the existence of something it didn't actually know anything about anymore.

It'll be interesting to hear how the Castle reacts to this revelation.

On Von Zinzer's, he does seem to have skills beyond that of just a soldier/mechanic, remember Violetta suspected he was a Smoke Knight when they first met, though he marked that up to just really, really not wanting to die. If the Castle itself was to mess with the time bubble and recruit someone to try and unfreeze to help it, I think Von Zinzer would be a prime choice.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

On Von Zinzer's, he does seem to have skills beyond that of just a soldier/mechanic, remember Violetta suspected he was a Smoke Knight when they first met, though he marked that up to just really, really not wanting to die. If the Castle itself was to mess with the time bubble and recruit someone to try and unfreeze to help it, I think Von Zinzer would be a prime choice.
    I think your taking another throwaway gag a little to serious. Von Zinzer was locket in the castle for a decent amount of time.
    Of course that will hone his survival skills if it does not kill him.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So it's a case of "whatever doesn't kill him makes him stronger" then?
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

SamuraiGuy

The Castle can act in ways it knows The Heterodyne does not want it to act, so long as it does so prior to receiving an actual order. To wit:
    1. Realize that Da Boyz, meddling do-gooders, are about to destroy the Fleshyards and with it the Monster's Guildhall
    2. Put the location of the Monster's Guild Hall into the Statue
    3. Hide the Guild hall beneath the surface
    4. Send the Statue into the Cathedral, which is cut off from the Castle's knowledge
    5. Have no knowledge of where the guild hall is or why the key can't be taken permanently

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I absolutely love the third panel here, it is incredible
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

So it's a case of "whatever doesn't kill him makes him stronger" then?
    Just a case of hardcore survival training does in fact make you stronger.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlueWizardGirl

My brain tried valiantly to prove that had to be "move" instead of "stove."

In a word, "What?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

In a word, "What?"
    We are better off not knowing.

Also, "The Guildhall was buried?" "Like all good secrets in Mechanicsburg." is a great pair of lines.
    On a unrelated note, I don't want to be a secret in Mechanicsburg.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Somebody is going to still be there when Agatha arrives...
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #85

In a word, "What?"
    Just a very Kestle-y way of saying "got other things to do, bye!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #86

In a word, "What?"
    Those pesky Jägers get everywhere, and you definitely don't want them on the stove. So messy.

27. - Top - End - #87

SamuraiGuy

"Jagers on the stove" does confuse the heck out of me. I suppose that means they are trying to cook?

I can see why The Boys wanted to destroy the Guildhall. Would you want something that large, and that shade of purple, to be a dominant view in your city?

There's a continuity error. Snakkerjape clings to the historical marker to avoid falling, and then it vanishes.

Do Jagers count as monsters for purposes of guild membership?

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    "Jagers on the stove" does confuse the heck out of me. I suppose that means they are trying to cook?

I can see why The Boys wanted to destroy the Guildhall. Would you want something that large, and that shade of purple, to be a dominant view in your city?

There's a continuity error. Snakkerjape clings to the historical marker to avoid falling, and then it vanishes.

Do Jagers count as monsters for purposes of guild membership?
    Well, the Jaegers had the Jaegerhall, which implies that they were a completely different organization.

And now I can't find the short story where the Proffesora gets mistaken for Agatha and chased through town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And now I can't find the short story where the Proffesora gets mistaken for Agatha and chased through town.
    It starts here.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    This one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?