New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    And do not forget that Gil has a number of four armed people in his service. There seems to be a small but thriving race of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I remember Boris. Who are the others?
    According to the novels, Boris is a construct rather than a race. His master prior to Klaus had the extra arms fitted so he could juggle. He hates juggling.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    And do not forget that Gil has a number of four armed people in his service. There seems to be a small but thriving race of them.
    Where do you see the Baron having a race of four armed people in his service?

Take Boris. He's a construct. He used to be a normal human, librarian to a sparky duke, who got the idea that it was a great idea to modify his librarian into the ultimate juggler.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    A DAY OR TWO? Maybe an HOUR or two! And that's only because she had to include laser finger guns and a deploy-able plasma cannon. Obviously.
    It's the ability to touch things in the future or past that requires time.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Totally not GG related - just ordered The Night Sherrif - Let's see what Mr Foglio can do when doing a straight novel...

(The GG novels were good, but still based on the comic - this is completely original).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

"There's no way this current adversary of ours belongs to this group of people the backstory of whom I am going to explain in details for several pages. I mean come on now."

Suuuuure, whatever you say, Princess.

Also, who else thinks this "Eshkigax" is actually The Other?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It's the ability to touch things in the future or past that requires time.
    🤦*♂️ well played sir
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "There's no way this current adversary of ours belongs to this group of people the backstory of whom I am going to explain in details for several pages. I mean come on now."

Suuuuure, whatever you say, Princess.

Also, who else thinks this "Eshkigax" is actually The Other?
    raises hands.

Also, neat how Zeeta alludes to "my father showed up and they had lots of adventures..."

Hm, and also there are lots of other people with four arms. On the top of my head, I name, um, Boris, the Wulfenbach Chief Lackey.

8. - Top - End - #158

So, Ashtara and Eshkigax. There's a clear nearly-Sumerian naming scheme going on in Skifander, given how close those names are to Ishtar and Ereshkigal, goddesses respectively of love & war & politics for Ishtar and the dead for Ereshkigal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So, Ashtara and Eshkigax. There's a clear nearly-Sumerian naming scheme going on in Skifander, given how close those names are to Ishtar and Ereshkigal, goddesses respectively of love & war & politics for Ishtar and the dead for Ereshkigal.
    Ashtara is so close to Astarte, I forgot they didn't straight-up used that name.

All, of this, of course, meshes well with "Gilgamesh".
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I remember it like it was yesterday. 1969...the Summer of Love...and into my life came an exotic girl, who taught me the practices of her goddess Ashtar or Ishtar or sumethin'. We celebrated for weeks. *Sigh*. Then September came...I still sometimes wonder where she is ... and how much was due to the drugs...
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-11-23 at 02:04 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

11. - Top - End - #161
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Where do you see the Baron having a race of four armed people in his service?

Take Boris. He's a construct. He used to be a normal human, librarian to a sparky duke, who got the idea that it was a great idea to modify his librarian into the ultimate juggler.
    Yeah, I was remembering incorrectly. For some reason I thought there were more. I blame it on too many pixie sticks and eating the tootsie rolls with the wrapper still on when I was a kid.

(in my defense I lived on Okinawa when I was a kid, and a lot of the Japanese candy had wrappers you could eat)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Of course, my immediate thought was "She's talking about Klaus!"

13. - Top - End - #163

She is definitely talking about Klaus.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    She is definitely talking about Klaus.
    What are you talking about, she is clearly describing the Great Warrior Chump, who mysteriously appeared in Skifander, and whose name has no other meanings anywhere else in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    What are you talking about, she is clearly describing the Great Warrior Chump, who mysteriously appeared in Skifander, and whose name has no other meanings anywhere else in the world.
    Of course. It is clearly the name of a noble and courageous warrior.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Of course. It is clearly the name of a noble and courageous warrior.
    I'm surprised that Zeetha introduced herself as "daughter of Chump" then. Wouldn't she say "daughter of Zantabraxus"? (The queen of Skifander.)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    I'm surprised that Zeetha introduced herself as "daughter of Chump" then. Wouldn't she say "daughter of Zantabraxus"? (The queen of Skifander.)
    She may have been hoping someone will recognize the name.

Alternatively, she may realize that people expect more than just one name from her and that in Europa, your father matters more than your mother.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #168

NecromancerGuy

Soooo, recent discussion here led to a little googling. Skafander (from French scaphandre, inspired by Ancient Greek) means "diving suit" or "space suit" in Macedonian and Polish.

Now, I'm not saying that proves Skifander is on Mars (or the Moon, or maybe under water) the way some of us have previously predicted, but it definitely looks like a possible clue.
    Last edited by runeghost; 2021-11-24 at 01:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on, just hold on...

Are you telling me there are no sparks in Skifander!?
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

There is some evidence, presented throughout the comic, that Sparks, as understood in Europa are a Europan creation and that people in other lands, especially other continents, employ powers in different ways. For example the circus guy who was probably from Africa who managed to drastically extend his life by making a sacred vow. Agatha also described her pre-Queen powers in magical rather than scientific terms. Zeetha says that there were 'rituals' to convert a normal person into a four-armed one. It may well be the same sort of transformation a spark would conduct, but via different means.

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost
    Soooo, recent discussion here led to a little googling. Skafander (from French scaphandre, inspired by Ancient Greek) means "diving suit" or "space suit" in Macedonian and Polish.

Now, I'm not saying that proves Skifander is on Mars (or the Moon, or maybe under water) the way some of us have previously predicted, but it definitely looks like a possible clue.
    I'm actually thinking it might be in some sort of underground 'Hollow Earth' style location. In the various shots of Skifander they always seem to be indoors, with no sky showing. And this temple with the artistic and linguistic links is deep underground, with access even deeper.

Hypothetically, the may share this underground domain with the Geisters, who recognize Skifandrian fighting styles right away, suggesting familiarity.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

21. - Top - End - #171

I am going to go with Skifandrian sparks end up as priestesses if female and berzerk warriors if male. We have seen ancient European sparks who behaved as wizards and conquerors; Skifander just never moved away from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I like how Agatha is being genre savvy there at the end.

23. - Top - End - #173

New theory: Boris is the Baron's Chief Advisor because Klaus was socially conditioned in Skifander to think of four armed people as being reliable sources of advice.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

New theory: Boris is the Baron's Chief Advisor because Klaus was socially conditioned in Skifander to think of four armed people as being reliable sources of advice.
    The 4 armed people he likely helped topple from power?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    If Queens take multiple consorts, "Daughter of Chump" might be a more useful name among Skifandari Princesses.

She's Princess Zeetha, so you already know who her mother is. "Daughter of Chump" tells you who her father is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

It's also possible that Chump is a more heroic (in a classical sense) figure in Skifander than Zantabraxus is, at least to Zeetha.

He's got a few of the elements of a mythic hero, notably arriving and dissapearing without a trace in an otherwise isolated land, while Zantabraxus is their queen, they know her and have her as part of their normal life, some of them will remember her when she was a toddler. Klaus basically showed up like something out of a greek fable, did a bunch of heroics, married the queen and then poofed away with baby Gilgamesh.

He'd be like the Skifandrian version of the Heterodyne Boys, a historic figure whose actual actions are clouded by exaggerated or outright fictional tales.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2021-11-24 at 04:46 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm kinda amused by Agatha just being savy here.
    "Yeah, let's assume the four armed lady looking for Skyfander is one of those four armed priestesses.
    My live's basically a dime novel."
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-11-24 at 04:57 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    The 4 armed people he likely helped topple from power?
    At least some of them fought on the Queen's side.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    At least some of them fought on the Queen's side.
    Not that well, though.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

They died, yes, but they still might have fought very well - better than most I imagine, since they were all four-armed.