New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Honestly its likely a combination.
    She did send him off to a place so obscure basically noone else in europe even know the name.
    Zeetha almost went mad thinking it a fever dream herself. Likely just figuring out where the heck Europe were would be a massive undertaking.
    Singelhandedly making the trip likely even more so.

All that while lacking significant strings to europe, and being surrounded by the warrior womens of a matriarchial culture.
    So of course Klaus hook up with an exiled princess, help restore her to the throne, gets his happy ending.
    Except whoops.. twins..

Suddenly having a child to protect is likely one of the few cases that could have Klaus do something as desperate, as make a jump though the local queen mirror.
    Sending him back to a world in ruins
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucrezia did some scheming to make it more likely Klaus hooks up with the queen (or someone else in Skifander), at which point he'd be much less likely to return to Europa. If not for the twins, he'd probably choose the happy family life he had going there, leaving the old country in the good hands of the Heterodyne Boys (or so he'd hope anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Lucrezia sent Klaus away, the Heterodyne boys were in charge of Mechanicsburg, Bill and Lucrezia were about to be married, and Europa was in relatively good shape by historical standards. So far as he knew, he didn't need to hurry back, other than to seek vengeance upon Lucrezia. It may well be that Gil was the trigger for him deciding to leave.

We also don't know how Barry came back from Mars or where he went after giving Agatha her locket. It may be that coming back from Mars is not much more difficult than Skifander.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #214

By the way, even Albia, as a queen, took years to get back from wherever the meeting with the mirrors was held. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20181226 If getting out of Skyfander was comparably difficult, it makes sense for Lucrezia to be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    By the way, even Albia, as a queen, took years to get back from wherever the meeting with the mirrors was held. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20181226 If getting out of Skyfander was comparably difficult, it makes sense for Lucrezia to be surprised.
    Albia wasn't coming back from there. Queen Sianna threw her through one of the mirrors before they went dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

It may well be that Gil was the trigger for him deciding to leave.
    Its kinda a crazy concidence that Klaus decides to leave a month after his is born otherwise xD

It may be that coming back from Mars is not much more difficult than Skifander.
    There is a significant difference between going somewhere of your own accord.
    And waking up in a unknown location.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hey, I was rereading parts of the series when I noticed this mention of ancient dance rituals. Related? Maybe not, but perhaps so :)

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...3#.YaWVddDMKUk

Dance rituals that are a bit...risque...sounds Skifanderian after all

And if it is related, it makes me wonder if Steelgarter might have no relation to the deposed priestesses, but instead just found the rituals to gain the other two arms. She does have a reputation of sending out explorers, who knows what they might have come up with. Though being Skifandarian would explain her combat prowess, enough to fight off a smoke knight.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Nahh.. i think thats jumping to many conclusions.
    For a start a large part of dances are basically about the risque stuff. Thats hardly a unique trait for skiffander.

And as we also know. Adding a pair of functional arms are childs play for even a mid level spark.
    No need for skiffandrian rituals there.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Hey, I was rereading parts of the series when I noticed this mention of ancient dance rituals. Related? Maybe not, but perhaps so :)

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...3#.YaWVddDMKUk

Dance rituals that are a bit...risque...sounds Skifanderian after all

And if it is related, it makes me wonder if Steelgarter might have no relation to the deposed priestesses, but instead just found the rituals to gain the other two arms. She does have a reputation of sending out explorers, who knows what they might have come up with. Though being Skifandarian would explain her combat prowess, enough to fight off a smoke knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Nahh.. i think thats jumping to many conclusions.
    For a start a large part of dances are basically about the risque stuff. Thats hardly a unique trait for skiffander.

And as we also know. Adding a pair of functional arms are childs play for even a mid level spark.
    No need for skiffandrian rituals there.
    I actually wonder if it's both. On the one hand, she's a librarian after all. Adding extra arms is just practical. But on (one of) the other hand(s), she's in charge of the Library of Lost Libraries, which means she gets access to long lost knowledge from ancient civilizations. While in our world that gets you shopping lists and legal documents, in the world of Girl Genius that probably means Rosetta Stones, magical rituals and clues to unknown power.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #220

SamuraiGuy

Given that Lady Steelgarter is the sole heir to vast wealth and a title, in England, her developing an extra set of arms would have drawn attention and perhaps even been a scandal. I'm guessing she was born with them. She is shown with them as a young woman in 20211126. That may simply push the Sparky shenanigans back a generation.

I note that araucaria araucaria is the Monkey Puzzle tree, while an acrostic is a crossword. Her family became wealthy selling trees that grew crossword puzzles, which sounds eminently Sparky to me.

I guessing her family did something to give her the arms at an early age.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Given that Lady Steelgarter is the sole heir to vast wealth and a title, in England, her developing an extra set of arms would have drawn attention and perhaps even been a scandal. I'm guessing she was born with them. She is shown with them as a young woman in 20211126. That may simply push the Sparky shenanigans back a generation.
    We have basically been told the opposite.That its not a big thing.
    Apperently "people just do stuff like that"
    When people walk around with seahorse or unicorn heads, then i cant see bonus arms being noteworthy.

12. - Top - End - #222

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    We have basically been told the opposite.That its not a big thing.
    Apperently "people just do stuff like that"
    When people walk around with seahorse or unicorn heads, then i cant see bonus arms being noteworthy.
    It may depend upon one's social circle, but yeah, the unicorn head was a Sir - although I'm not sure he wasn't born a unicorn, there's other sources of weird besides Sparks.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

The unicorn was a lord as I recall. Lord Womble to be precise.

It's possible he was born as he is, was born human and transformed into a unicorn man at some point after birth, or that he was constructed as an adult and isn't a 'man' as such.

Hell, he could have been a gift from a spark with similar talents to Martellus.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So, we have what looks like a Geisterdamen who's been modified and has extra arms. Is the color change something that came with the extra limbs or something else?

She also has no respect for Queens. So, is this justified or is this the kind of blind belief Lucy's servants have in her being better than everyone else? I'm betting on buying into Lu's advertising. It's the kind of thing that leads to fatal mistakes even in our world. It'll be interesting to see what it does in GG's world. I'm betting on something very messy.

15. - Top - End - #225

It only went to one place, and that place is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skifander

IMHO
    Last edited by wingnutx; 2021-12-01 at 01:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. We knew Lucrezia had been faraway in time, but I expected her to have been mostly jumping up and down the timeline, not living through so much of it. Makes me wonder how human her mind still is and how much it has become something... Other.

Also, I'm starting to think the people who built the mirrors were extra-terrestrials.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So, we have what looks like a Geisterdamen who's been modified and has extra arms. Is the color change something that came with the extra limbs or something else?

She also has no respect for Queens. So, is this justified or is this the kind of blind belief Lucy's servants have in her being better than everyone else? I'm betting on buying into Lu's advertising. It's the kind of thing that leads to fatal mistakes even in our world. It'll be interesting to see what it does in GG's world. I'm betting on something very messy.
    Who are you talking about? Steelgartner?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #227

That's weird. Here she is seen with extra arms on panel 4, but there, there is no trace of them on panel 1. The rest of the panels are inconclusive as they never go enough of her to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    The unicorn was a lord as I recall. Lord Womble to be precise.

It's possible he was born as he is, was born human and transformed into a unicorn man at some point after birth, or that he was constructed as an adult and isn't a 'man' as such.

Hell, he could have been a gift from a spark with similar talents to Martellus.
    Lord Womble gets a pass because the arms of the British Monarch have a Scottish unicorn standing on its hind legs. In a way, he is a symbol of Scotland.

But I like the idea that Womble is something of an equivalent to Boris -- a visually striking invention by a spark, that is so skilled as to become the personal aide of a great ruler.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That's weird. Here she is seen with extra arms on panel 4, but there, there is no trace of them on panel 1. The rest of the panels are inconclusive as they never go enough of her to tell.
    If we're not talking Steelgarter, I see nothing about extra arms. Just a clank with a millennia-old Lucrezia in it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Seriously, where are you seeing a Geisterdame? The presents are : Steelgarter, the redhead rat-doctor in a gaz mask, the museum's curator/spy on the other side of the mirror and Lucrezia-in-Anevka's clank. Is the latter the one you think is a Geister with extra-arms? Because those are wires hanging off her helmet.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-12-01 at 06:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231

It does almost look like Clankrezia has 3 arms in Monday's panel 4, but it is just the bottom of her ribcage and holding the candle close to her chest. Otherwise I'm not sure what Gez and Ellen are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    It only went to one place, and that place is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skifander

IMHO
    Um, why would it be Skifander when Geisterland is much more likely?
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2021-12-01 at 07:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Um, why would it be Skifander when Geisterland is much more likely?
    I agree. That mirror could be how Lucrezia first found out about the geisters. Not to mention we do know that the geisters had a working mirror that allowed them to send their priestesses to Europa in the first place

What i think about the Lucrezia and klaus situation is that Lucy sent klaus on a one way trip to skifander the old fashioned way. She expected that without any bearing for where he was and no ships to work with, it would take him years to find his way back. What she would not expect is that Skifander may have had a barely working mirror just like the one her family found and klaus was able to get it working just long enough to return

23. - Top - End - #233
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I agree. That mirror could be how Lucrezia first found out about the geisters. Not to mention we do know that the geisters had a working mirror that allowed them to send their priestesses to Europa in the first place

What i think about the Lucrezia and klaus situation is that Lucy sent klaus on a one way trip to skifander the old fashioned way. She expected that without any bearing for where he was and no ships to work with, it would take him years to find his way back. What she would not expect is that Skifander may have had a barely working mirror just like the one her family found and klaus was able to get it working just long enough to return
    Maybe, but Zeetha did say the Professor that 'found' their city for Steelgarter was flying a ship the likes of which they had never seen before (if I remember correctly), which means the 'old fashioned way' would not have been a lighter-than-air ship. Unless she was just talking about herself. And if it was by boat or foot I would have thought their land was close enough to never have been lost.

As for today's strip...I really don't think Lucrezia has the patience to sit still for that long. Especially after what we saw in Van Rijn's study where she was kept imprisoned for so long. Honestly, if it wasn't for her talking about her Daddy once before (how her Daddy didn't come to save her), I would suspect this isn't even her.

24. - Top - End - #234

SamuraiGuy

Perhaps Lucrezia was watching the mirror for 500 years because she couldn't do anything else? If she got herself trapped somehow, without a proper lab except a few instruments, that might have been the best use of her time. Also, I find it difficult to believe that there was no way to record the instrumental data and analyze it; staring at dials for 500 years to me indicates some sort of mental disorder, not a brilliant Spark making good use of immortality.

Or she may be just lying.

I'm going to agree with Fyraltali that the mirrors are not from around here. I think we're getting closer to some sort of big plot reveal, possibly the biggest one since "Agatha is the Heterodyne heir".

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Perhaps Lucrezia was watching the mirror for 500 years because she couldn't do anything else? If she got herself trapped somehow, without a proper lab except a few instruments, that might have been the best use of her time. Also, I find it difficult to believe that there was no way to record the instrumental data and analyze it; staring at dials for 500 years to me indicates some sort of mental disorder, not a brilliant Spark making good use of immortality.

Or she may be just lying.
    Since time manipulation is on the table, perhaps she watched the mirror though 500 years sped up by some factor. Or she might have been doing other things too, but she was mostly watching the mirror.

Also I am fairly certain that Lucrezia had completely moved herself into a mechanical body at some point. When you have mechanical bodies and time travel, sitting down in front of some instruments and watching them for a long time might make sense. Perhaps she loaded a copy of herself into a head, checked in on it every few years to make sure it was still recording data, and then merged the personality from the head back into her main body. It seems like a decent way to get the data and do the analysis. Considering Lu's egomania, perhaps she felt that there really wasn't any point in trusting any possible minions.

I'm going to agree with Fyraltali that the mirrors are not from around here. I think we're getting closer to some sort of big plot reveal, possibly the biggest one since "Agatha is the Heterodyne heir".
    Here I thought the biggest reveal was "Lucrezia was the Other", though I can't remember exactly when that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    But I like the idea that Womble is something of an equivalent to Boris -- a visually striking invention by a spark, that is so skilled as to become the personal aide of a great ruler.
    I imagine that, like Boris, he ends up picking up all the rubbish as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Here I thought the biggest reveal was "Lucrezia was the Other", though I can't remember exactly when that happened.
    Around the Sturmhalten arc if I recall correctly. Around the time we start to find out about the Geisters in Vol. 5.

In fact here: Connection made between Lucrezia and the Slaver Wasps; , Openly stated by Agatha and confiimed by the Geisters.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

27. - Top - End - #237

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Seriously, where are you seeing a Geisterdame? The presents are : Steelgarter, the redhead rat-doctor in a gaz mask, the museum's curator/spy on the other side of the mirror and Lucrezia-in-Anevka's clank. Is the latter the one you think is a Geister with extra-arms? Because those are wires hanging off her helmet.
    Sorry, tired reader looking over the previous comic and thinking a blue-ish Geisterdame with four arms had shown up instead of Lucrezia-in-Anevka's clank. I'd had a long day.

Although, it's still a good bet her arrogance is going to come back to bite her.

Rereading the earlier comics, I'm getting a better perspective on how things looked to Klaus. When he left, Europe seemed to be in a golden age of peace and stability. He finds a good life, a beautiful queen, does a bit of adventuring, and is in the middle of his happily-ever-after, when twins. He uses the mirror to come home but probably wasn't expecting to be gone forever or maybe not even very long. He might have been thinking Bill and Barry would help him figure out how to protect Gil.

And, there's his old castle blown to bits with people he knew all lying around dead.

And Bill and Barry are gone. The whole world is in worse chaos than ever. All that's left of their accomplishments are Heterodyne shows.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

And Bill and Barry are gone. The whole world is in worse chaos than ever. All that's left of their accomplishments are Heterodyne shows.
    In which Wulfembach plays a Dimo type... at best.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    In which Wulfembach plays a Dimo type... at best.
    He was probably treated more respectfully before he came back, he was sort of a hero when he was friends with Bill and Barry, a lost figure of better days. Once he returned and became the domineering tyrant who everyone both respected or resented the Heterodyne Plays would have become a 'safe' medium for venting about him.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, what should we call this group? The Steelgarter Cabal?

Also, seeing Lucrezia in a non-Agatha environment is actually very entertaining. It's developing her character far more both on a personal level and on a more grandiose, mythological level (repairs I've set in place over the last several thousand years). A significant upgrade and much more of a threat than before.
    I do wonder if the Muse of Time in the beginning is going to be derived from this body, but it's far too soon for that.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad