New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 43 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

CHAPTER ONE: OF SINS AND SHADOWS

The five of you find yourselves on a dark, gloomy dock just north of the Narrows Bridge in Midtown, Gotham City. Gotham is an old, ancient, sprawling and congested city. It's the dark, menacing pearl of the Empire, as valued and coveted as it is vile and cursed. For as long as anyone can remember, the city has been in a state of decay. Street drunks and doomsayers wail that it's drowning in it's addiction to Arcane Magic, and the Arcana Industry that it depends on for sustenance. Others say it has more mundane enemies; be it the ineptitude of it's high lords or the insatiable avarice of it's noble houses, each vying for a piece of an ever shrinking pie. You stopped asking yourself high minded political questions a long time ago; Gotham is a place where the only thing separating you from a the corpses in the gutters is a full purse -- and perhaps a sharp blade at your side.

You knew how to find this place without needing to be told; The Merchant's Guild Docks have run business out of this part of town for more than a hundred years. Yet now that you've finally arrived, you feel surer than ever that the dark, looming city behind you is getting ready to swallow these docks up at any moment; or perhaps push them into the river.

The Merchant's Guild was once the principle mercantile property of House Wayne; the former Lords of Gotham. The Waynes founded the city and ruled over it for hundreds of years. Though Lord Thomas Wayne, the last "Lord Wayne of Gotham" died only a little more than twenty years ago, it feels like their once mighty house has been gone for a century or more. The Merchant's Guild has found itself besieged on all sides by the other Houses and their own businesses (or, when business failed, their armed men). It's assets have shrunk ever narrower. Now, the Guild Docks is the last territory this once mighty institution has left; and from the looks of things, the docks won't last much longer either.

It's around 10 at night. There are a few ships and boats docked at the harbor, but almost all of the workers have gone home, and only a few, sputtering torches light the walkways. You find that you have an easier time navigating by starlight (or your Darkvision) than you do by the dock's lanterns. You've been walking along the docks for nearly twenty minutes and so far you haven't seen any armed guards, and leaving merchandise and valuable goods lying around without armed protection is something no Gotham merchant in their right mind would ever do. You imagine it's a miracle the place hasn't already been cleaned out.

To your left, lying on a few crates and piles of tarps and fishing nets, is a guild worker. If he has a home to go to, he's clearly decided it would be preferable to stay out here with the bilge rats, getting blasted on rum and Devilweed. Up ahead, you can see the Guild House. It's a ratty, miserable looking thing; it's as if the entire building is sort of sagging from exhaustion. On the bright side, it's the only part of the docks that's well lit. The assembled torchlight glows in the darkness, calling you like a moth is called to a flame. Nearby you can see a few other guilders, a couple of them guards and a few more workers, milling about or lounging. This is where the bounty notice has directed you; presumably the Guild Master, Lucius Fox, should be waiting for you inside.

And that, of course, is the reason you're all here. The Merchant's Guild has put out a call to handle a job; the notice was a bit light on details -- you're not sure if it's an investigation or simple mercenary work. Either way, you only need to worry about getting the job done and getting paid. For all you know, the Guild won't be here tomorrow -- but as long as you've collected your fee before then, it doesn't really matter.

Spoiler: Link to the OOC Thread
    Show
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?637689-3-5e-Batman-OOC-(2-0)&p=25237543#post25237543
    Last edited by Molan; 2022-02-09 at 11:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

A menacing figure plods towards the guild in matte enamel red and black fullplate armor, covered with spikes. Far above their head is a giant axehead on a pike.

How far we have fallen. Was this what I was fighting for?
    Never matter, everything starts somewhere. You can't clean things without touching filth.

The high pitched voice is the only hint that the figure is female as she calls out, "I've come to see Master Fox."
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Rum and Devilweed. Classic.” Certain to stand an easy ten feet off the inebriated soul, a heatless torch came to life in her hands; an isle of light created off the coast of the well-lit Guild. The lithesome figure was all black leather armour that only retreated at a purple pair of gloves, matching utility belt, and blonde hair. Stephanie let the stranger absorb her appearance, ignoring the looming Guild House and its workers up ahead, only too aware his drug of choice enhanced strength but rattled nerves. It all broke her promise to keep to the shadows and observe a little, at least until she was sure enough hands had made it to the Merchant’s Guild. The better to turn back without witnesses if she didn’t like their odds. No one wanted to die protecting Bruce Wayne's investments.

But what’s a promise worth if it costs you helping others?

Used to sell the same stuff, actually. Devilweed, I mean. Rum’s a little too hardcore for me.

Stephanie offered a weak smile to the man laying in filth, in spite of her half-mask covering it. Her stomach tensed from the guilt that sat in it like a seashell, small, but distinct to the touch. She had left behind anything drug related over a year ago, her family aside, but it was hard to pretend people like her hadn’t done this to someone’s brother or son or father. She titled the light to herself briefly.

Name’s Spoiler. Sorta like what you stick on a train to keep it from crashing. What’s yours?

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Take 10 Diplomacy, result of 28 to try and make a friend. Or at least keep him as far from hostility as possible.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-19 at 06:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Through the half light came a slim figure, taking slow patient steps over the soaked cobblestones that covered this street. She was dressed in simple clothes, with no sign of bulky armour, or any possesions larger than the small tome kept carefully in a sealed pouch at her side. Her clothes were a dark blue, just a hair of a shade off being black, long sleeves, tall boots, leggings and gloves covering every inch of skin below her neck. A long cape, runes etched into the outer lining flowed away from her back. Her hair was covered by a cowl, and the top half of her face by a carefully made mask, the ebony contrasting with the pale skin of her chin and cheeks, and the mask hiding what thoughts could possibly be going on behind it.

Well, this was a terrible idea.

The thought ran through Barabara's (no, Oracle's, like this she had to be oracle) mind as she stepped forward slowly. She'd confronted enough filth both literal and ethical early in her campaign to look over the justiciar's but this sort of pragmatic mercenary work was still new to her, and the level of filth they displayed to anyone walking by was too. Still, of all those still putting contracts out the Merchant's guild was one of the few organisations that wasn't swimming in the sea of filth that coated the corrupt Justiciars and so if she wanted the resources to further her campaign this was the best place to dip her toes into the water.

Wow, Mixing metaphor's this much already. Get your head in the game Oracle.

Neuroses aside, she was here now and knew what she had to do. Coolly regarding the two other figures here she continued on her forward path. She gave look to the poor soul slumped over and drunk, but moved her eyes away from them quickly. She instead first looked to the other mercenaries moving in with her and then to one of the guildmembers who resembled guards. She looked to them as she approached the guild-house, and sent Julius, her familiar off from his position huddled at her side to flitter around the guild hall and keep an ear out for danger. Then, assuming no guards objected, she pushed open the door and entered, scanning the room for any sign of Lucius Fox.

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-10-10 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When the party approached the Guild House, none of the men outside paid you much mind. As Kate and Barbara entered the Guildhouse, they came face to face with Lord Fox; he was dressed in high quality but well-used and utilitarian clothes; a heavy coat to keep out the cold, a thick layered tunic, sturdy breaches and strong boots. He was clearly highborn; he carried himself nobly and moved with the relaxed ease of a person who's used to owning the ground he walks on. And yet he's also sort of worn down and tired; thick laugh lines crease his face, his hair is gray and his hands looked rough and weathered. Highborn or not, this is a man who's been through his fair share of troubles.

Despite the drab and unpleasant surroundings and his tired looking mannerisms, he greeted the party with something approaching a wry smile and a cunning gleam in his eye.

"Ah, thank the True Twelve, company's here." he said as Kate's armored form occupied the doorway. He was busy pouring tea into an old brass cup on his desk. "I'd almost given up hope."

He quickly turned back towards the doorway towards Barbara.

"And hello to you as well my dear; apologies but do my old eyes deceive me? Has Lady Gordon herself come to visit our humble guild house? To what do we owe the pleasure?"

Having delivered the formality of addressing the daughter of the Marshall of the Justicars directly, the Guildmaster leaned back against a long desk which faced the entryway. The desk was about two yards inside from the entryway, and the party was still standing more or less in the threshold of the door. Fox didn't you to come in or take a seat, so the exchange felt a bit awkward, even tense. His manner left the impression that he didn't fully trust his new visitors, at least not yet..

And yet despite that sense of latent tension, Fox seems amiable, even sympathetic; you can't really trust anyone in Gotham, and judging from the sorry state of affairs you found the docklands to be in, Master Fox seems just as vulnerable to being robbed by his hired help as he would be from the thugs and brigands he's paying you to stop.

Spoiler: Stephanie
    Show
    Since the rest of the team presumably walked to the Guildhouse, I'll finish you out here.

The dock drunkard lights up when you approached, a bit dazed and confused but pleased all the same. He's delirious from the substances he'd been abusing but seems either happy to view a friendly face or surprised that a beautiful woman appeared out of nowhere in front of him on a night like this.

He slurs his words, but you're able to mostly make out: "Ho! Name's Mulk lass. Wassa fine piece like you doin' at the docks after moonrise?"

Spoiler: Party
    Show
    You are all entitled to spot and listen checks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Well, that's an hour of my life making this ridiculous costume I'm never going to get back."

Answered Barbara, pulling back her cowl and letting her distinctive long red hair unfurl a little, though it remained pinned up.

"I'm here for the same reason others are, I should imagine. The posting about some form of investigation or mercenary work. For all the issues the Guild has faced both in terms of its enemies and its absent sponsor it's one of the last reputable places in the city. If you're the one's offering money I'll have little reason to fear that I might regret taking it. What is this job anyway?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spot: (1d20)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[18]
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-03-29 at 01:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kate tries to hide her surprise that someone she knew being here.
    "I've come to clean up."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The one wearing the high quality chain shirt a dark red helm finally spoke up, having trailed behind a bit to let the two expose any ambush so that he could counter it. On his belt hung tow masterfully made war-hammers, an odd choice for one who skulks about in the shadows only until they see the Red hood fight. He crouches on on the the crate which he's leap up on and looks down at the three.

"I've honestly got nothing more to add to what she said except that I second it. What's the job then?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

cool Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Stephanie's eyes glittered for her mirth, unsurprised he couldn’t piece together the obvious as smoke wafted off the cigarette, ambivalent in the wind. She made no attempt to draw his attention to the weaponry at her hips. “It’s a mystery.” Her shrug came easy as two others strolled by, both armed and purposefully masked. That makes three. Throw in the guards, and the odds are ours. Taking a look around the dock to spot and listen out for any nearby dock worker she could enlist to help Mulk to his feet, she offered her hand all the same, palm up. Less a handshake as an invitation to rise.

But while I’m around, Mulk, I’ve heard a nasty little rumour the Guild Master really should hear. Says a hit’s coming tonight. Care to walk a girl to safety?

Spoiler: Spot and Listen
    Show
    Take 10 on both for now. Result of 16 for both.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-19 at 02:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

**INSIDE THE GUILDHOUSE**

Lucius claps his hands and rubs them together.

"Alright, excellent. Allow me to explain. To make a long story short, we've been having some trouble down at the docks. Shipments have gone missing, workers have been harassed, and last month one of our guards disappeared. I can't stay in business if I can't keep the docks secure at night, and I can't get sellswords to work here in the evenings anymore."

Lucius shakes his head. "These slums didn't always used to be this bad; back when the Waynes were in power they took good care of Fort Clinton. But these days, folks are getting desperate. The Justicars are usually out in force during the day...but at night..." he shakes his head again.

"Anyway, here's the job. I need you all to patrol the docks at night. You're not just here as a deterrent though; I need people here who are either tough, stupid or crazy enough to actually go looking for trouble. There's next to zero chance that the folks who've been harassing our operation are done with us. I need you to find the people who're doing this. I need you to stop them. But! Most important of all, I need you to find out who's been behind the attacks.

If you walk the docks at night, it's only a matter of time before our attackers show back up. Could be today, could be next week. When they do, it's not enough that you chase them off; I need to know who's been giving the orders to attack the Merchant's guild. There's money in it for you; a hundred gold for every thief you capture...or I suppose...scalp you take, if it comes to that. Plus a hundred gold per night, split four ways just for your time.
    "

Lucius tosses a coin pouch to Barbara as he speaks, to pay them and also to underscore the point.

"If of course you do find the evidence I need to figure out who's been ordering the attacks on the docks, I'll pay you four thousand to split, plus potentially an opportunity for a second contract after after that, if you're up for it."

Having made his pitch, Lucius stood up and strolled around his desk, sitting down behind it and looking over his papers.

"Now I've got to tell you, times have been tough for us. This is all the money I can afford to pay you for this job, so I'm not going to be able to negotiate. But if you all pull this off and our shipments are able to move in and out of the docks unmolested again, there'll be plenty more where this came from. So."

He leans back in his chair and fixes you with an even stare. "Do we have a deal?"

Show
    So, I forgot. Anyone who's walked into the guildhouse can retroactively make a trapfinding check. Sorry I forgot to bring that up.

You're also free to toss out any Knowledge or Sense Motive checks you'd like. Otherwise, Lucius awaits your response.

Spoiler: Jason
    Show
    Spot:You do not spot anything out of the ordinary.
    Listen: Besides the conversation with Lucius, you can hear the gentle lapping of water under the docks beneath the Guild House. Outside, you can hear the two Merchant Guild guards who were watching the front door having a low conversation; "...Old Fox really think he can buy his way out of this one?" "No one's gonna risk they're necks for this dump when Zucco's boys show up." "You think when this falls through Fox'll wise up and get the hell out of here?" "Hell no man. He thinks the Dark Knight's gonna come save him." They both snicker.

Spoiler: Kate
    Show
    Spot:The Guild House is a long building, and though most of the lanterns are no longer lit, you can see that it stretches back more than fifty yards from the doorway. It's filled with bookshelves packed with scrolls and ledges, and various crates, barrels and boxes fill the empty corners of the space, along with a series of desks where the Guild's ledger men clearly work.

Off to the right, behind one of the bookshelves, you can see the shadowy outline of a slender figure leaning against the corner of the shelf and the wall. Whoever it is is deathly still and the corner the figure occupies is so dark you barely noticed them hiding there at all. The figure is humanoid, and whoever it is isn't crouching or lurking but sort of casually blending into the gloom. You can't tell if they're watching you, but they're definitely listening.

Behind Master Fox, lying on the desk he's leaning on, you can see what looks like an elaborate light repeating crossbow, covered in eldritch runes. A tool for self defense, perhaps? Most of the rest of the items on the desk are papers and books, but there are two other heavier objects besides the crossbow; a lit candlestick and a black marble statuette of a knight.

Listen: Besides the conversation with Lucius, you can hear the gentle lapping of water under the docks beneath the Guild House. Outside, you can hear the two Merchant Guild guards who were watching the front door having a low conversation; "...Old Fox really think he can buy his way out of this one?" "No one's gonna risk they're necks for this dump when Zucco's boys show up." "You think when this falls through Fox'll wise up and get the hell out of here?" "Hell no man. He thinks the Dark Knight's gonna come save him." They both snicker.

Spoiler: Stephanie
    Show
    Mulk shakes his head. "Thassa pass fer me lass. E'rybody says Zucco's got it out for Old Fox. Only thing I'm here t'do is drink n'smoke till morning shift. By the time the new bosses take over, hopefully they'll still need dock hands 'round here. Hangin' out w' Fox's friends just mean I'll be dead or out of work by that time. But, if'n ye've got any sense, yer free to stay here and drink w'old Mulk. Keep us both out of trouble then eh?"

Mulk takes another long drag of devilweed, holding it in his chest for a few moments before letting a noxious green cloud sputter out of his nostrils. He continues to lean back on his makeshift seat, apparently without a care in the world.

Listen: You don't hear anything out of the ordinary other than some muttering from the guards near the Guildhouse and the light lapping of the water against the docks.

Spot: You don't detect anything out of the ordinary.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barbara waits for a few moments, tuned into her empethatic bond and feeling for any sign of panic or things being drastically wrong in one way or another from her familiar as it finishes scanning the outside of the warehouse and flitters back to her side. Assuming this gives her no reason to panic, she checks the contents of the pouch assuming that too is above board she replies.

"Straightforward, I appreciate it. I'll take this offer. What kind of evidence would you be looking for? Is divining the thoughts from those we capture enough or are you looking for more physical evidence?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Trapfinding: (1d20+13)[23]

For my familiar stuff bat's have the following:

Blindsense (Ex)

A bat notices and locates creatures within 20 feet. Opponents still have 100% concealment against a creature with blindsense.

Though any information would have to be filtered through the general spectrum of empethatic bond if an army of criminals is currently surrounding the place that should still flag as danger and give me some warning.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-03-29 at 01:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Oracle
    Show
    The bag is not suspect; it appears to be a down payment, with 500gp inside.

Lucius nodded. "Fair question. You take a patrol down these docks you'll see all kinds of strange and unsavory folk clambering about. But I'm being cryptic; the people who are out to bring down our organization are casing the docks constantly. There's a million ways in and out of this area. If they find any of our College cargo, it's over. And that's all assuming they don't figure out how poorly manned I am at night.

If you find informants to question out on the docks, we'll have a way better idea of who we're up against, and what to do about it. But if you find anyone trying to lift our products...all the better. Anyway, you can try using magic or other means to skim surface thoughts but I'm willing to be you won't find the goods I need. We need information we can bring to the Justicars...or at least a specific enemy we can lash out at.

Either way, I'm confident you'll find something.
    "

Show
    Julius returns to you, generally calm. There's no one and nothing surrounding the building, though you can tell he managed to snack on a few unfortunate bugs on his way around the guildhouse. He's contented, and that makes you feel a bit better.

Trapfinding: The room is trapped. The entire entryway inside the door is actually a trapdoor; it's about 10' wide and 15' long, and it appears to separate in the middle. All four of you are standing on the trap door; it appears to be some sort of defensive arrangement. If the trap is triggered, any unwelcome intruders standing in the threshold will likely be dumped straight into the Gotham River beneath the docks. You cannot see any obvious mechanisms to activate or disarm the trap, though you suspect it could potentially be jammed shut if you were able to shove something in between the two sides of the door, given how tight the seams are. But with Lucius staring directly at you, there's no way to surreptitiously attempt to manipulate or sabotage the device.
    Last edited by Molan; 2021-10-19 at 10:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I stand ready. Tell me, though, some of your men seem to think it is 'Zucco'. Can you tell me anything about this personage?"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Show

Ew.

Tempting.” Stephanie withdrew her hand reluctantly. Her gaze swept over the battered front of the sagging Guild House again, reminded then it wasn't simply a massive legal fence for everyday goods, as one of the few ways a Gothamite could still stay out of the total control of local crime lords. The brooding clouds overhead barely revealed the tip of a crescent moon, a dagger yet fully revealed. She reconsidered the dock hand coolly.

Tell ya what, Mulk. You’re not the only one that needs a day job, and even most Watchmen are already in someone else’s pocket. Smart money says the Baron already has a few insiders to help the transaction along, right? You point one out to me, and I’ll see if I can maybe get in on the action tonight. Then we’ll have plenty of time to safely make plans tomorrow.

Spoiler: Bluff, Knowledge: Local, old Gather Information check
    Show
    Take 10 on Bluff that I’m interested in taking any job, like helping Zucco take over. Result 24.

Take 10 on K:Local so I can confirm I know things about Zucco...and didn't just metagame that he's called the Baron.

Also, there was a Gather Information check I "so totally did" in the hours before this to try and piece together who's attacking tonight/how. Result 25. But like I said then, if the result cuts down on the fun of it all, then we'll say it didn't give any useful info other than "yes, an attack is coming specifically tonight".

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-19 at 11:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

**INSIDE THE GUILDHOUSE**

Lucius smiled. "Ah, you mean "Baron" Zucco. He's the current Boss of the Dark Market. Interesting idea, that the Market might be trying to push in on us. See, the Dark Market primarily deal in contraband, drug trafficking, prostitution, fencing and smuggling. They're a real class act. They have a huge network of fences and street thugs running protection rackets. Thing is, few years back, the Dark Knight actually apprehended Zucco and turned him over to the Justicars -- he was supposed to be rotting in the Dungeons under Blackgate Fortress for thirty years."

The guildmaster sighed, taking a long sip of his tea and leaning back in his old wooden chair.

"At least, that shoulda been what happened. No, instead a few of the other noble houses started angling for advantages after most of the Dents were killed off. It's impolite to say this, but a lot of folks believe that more than a few of our high lords have business dealings on the wrong side of the Justicars. Anyway, long story short, Zucco was released, and he's back in charge of the Market. But, in his absence, the Market lost most of their territory in Midtown. The Bards say the Dark Knight cleared em out; House James says it was the Justicars. But most of my informants tell me the majority of their territory in Midtown was taken over by the Thieves Guild."

Lucius shrugged walking back around the table.

"So. Could Zucco be after this next shipment? Maybe. Maybe taking me out's how he sees himself getting back into Midtown. Or, maybe it's got nothing to do with Zucco and all and all that was just a rumor. There's only one way to find out -- we need to track down some of the bastards who're spying on my docks, robbing my ships and disappearing my men, and squeeze em for answers."

Show
    Spoiler: Gather Information
    Show
    Gather Information reveals a swirl of rumors about the docks. Lots of people in the Fort Clinton slums around the docks have competing speculation around who's been targeting them, but the extra noise and chatter has made it difficult for you to determine which lead to follow. Some people say it's the Dark Market trying to push back into Midtown, other say the Thieves Guild was paid off to cause trouble for Fox and his people. You can't be sure, but one factoid stands out; Zucco has only been out of the dungeons fairly recently after the Dark Knight put him away and cost him his territories in Midtown. Some people wonder if he'd have the stones to try something risky again so soon. The experience was said to have rattled him.

However, you were able to confirm one thing; their is a hit coming -- and it's coming tonight. People have been talking about staying away from the docks. Apparently, whatever Lucius' men have been loading onto their last few ships is incredibly valuable, and tomorrow morning, that precious cargo will have sailed off onto the Gotham River and away towards the sea. Whoever's coming has to make their move today.

Mulk chuckles a bit, nodding his head and smiling as though the two of you are now in on a little secret. Over near the Guildhouse, two of the guards are still playing cards, but two others have begun to wander off. One heads southeast, the other, northwest.

Mulk points at the northwest guard as he slowly fades into the night.

"Iunno about Zucco," he stuttered. "But Garrel there used to do night patrols with this old retired knight named Torraine. Two days ago Garrel came back."

Mulk begins to trail off to sleep, the rum finally beginning to get the better of him.

"But Torraine didn't. Garrel never said....whahappened....t.......Torraine...."

After that, the only sound Mulk made were snores.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedKnightGirl

confused Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Show

So it’s Zucco or the Thieves Guild tonight, but Zucco might be too rattled to try anything. Maybe the good Baron hired some help? If anyone has an idea…

Gently easing the cigarette spewing green from Mulk’s limp fingers, Stephanie casually flicked it into the nearby waters from the wooden boardwalk. Eyeing her target in the distance, she still half dragged a tarp over the dockhand for a makeshift blanket. That had been her entire vendetta against the drug trade so far: the most miniscule of wins, the barest of warmth, but the body of the matter remained unmoved. With a sigh the torch light went out, and she started to refocus on the guard doing the northwest nightly patrol. Not liking the idea of disappearing like the old knight did, or getting mistaken for a thief just yet, she instead tailed after Garrel from a distance.

Spoiler: Hide and Move Silently
    Show
    Unsurprisingly, I follow Garret quietly. Both have results of 24.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barabara nods breifly at the last words from the guildmaster then raises her hood and lowers her mask once more.

"That can be done, I hope to have some raather informative good news to share when we next meet."

"As for you two." she said turning to the other two mercenaries. "I'll be waiting outside for you to finish your own questions, we'll make our way there together when we're done. And I'd appreciate any indiscretions that occured tonight spread no further than they need to.

With that said she slips just out of the entryway, remaining disguised outside and mentally going through her own information on relevant details to this case.

Show

What does Barabara know about the normal modus operandi of such harrasers and thieves. Do they send a lot of goons or a few elites, are they heavily armoured brutes or more specialists, will they normally have a leader, do they normally stick around in fights or leave in the face of serious resistance stuff like that which could have been picked up from Justicar reports.

Knowledge (Local) (I also have history and Nobility if those fit better): (1d20+11)[14]
    (I don't think you can normally take ten on knowledge, tell me if that's different in this campaign but for now I'll roll for the sake of it)

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-10-20 at 08:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having consented to the Guildmaster's terms, the three of you head out into the night and begin the task of patrolling the docklands as Lord Fox had asked.

Spoiler: Inside the Guildhouse
    Show

Barbara stepped back out into the night, and eventually the rest of the party followed suit. There were only a few men left outside the Guildhouse, even a couple of the last few guards appeared to have wandered off. Looking around, you saw no sign of the woman named "Spoiler" who'd also shown up to take the bounty. Lacking any other good options, you decide to head out without her.

As the evening wears on, and you find yourselves the only souls left on the long, winding warren of the Merchant's Guild docks. As far as mercenary work goes, you can't help but feel a little disappointed. The docks are as quiet as the grave and it's hard not to feel like a job that could just as easily be conducted by a squad of Justicar recruits is beneath you.

The docks are not a straight, uniform row of piers but instead a jagged, winding and byzantine path along the Gotham River. Some of the piers are long, wide, deep water docks tethering large sailing ships, while others are much smaller. Some of the piers stand taller out of the water than others. In some places, artificial inlets connect the Gotham River's waters to the city's interior and you have to cross short bridges to reach the next section, and everywhere large stacks of barrels or crates obstruct your view, and some parts of the waters edge forms bays and inlets so you can't see very far ahead in most areas as the city juts out in front of you. There are occasional small buildings, shacks, and storage sheds and in several places boats are suspended in dry dock. The entire place is a maze; the only way for you to navigate your way through it is to keep the water on your left so you know you haven't gotten lost.

You keep a weather eye out for any signs that something is out of place, and pay special attention to docked ships, closed warehouses, deeper shadows and dark alleyways, looking for any important clues or signs of shenanigans.

Spoiler: OOC: Party
    Show
    Feel free to come up with a strategy or marching order for exploring the docs. You can make checks here at will, and work together to try to track down signs of trouble. A good way to think of this area at this time of night is kind of like an outdoor dungeon.

Hit me up in the OOC thread if you guys have any additional questions or concerns about what to do here.

Spoiler: Barbara's Knowledge Check
    Show
    The kind of danger you're going to run into depends a lot on who your adversaries are and what they're up to. The Dark Market and Thieves Guild are known for having plenty of sneak thieves and street toughs, but their Captains and Underbosses are usually much tougher, not to be trifled with, and they're more than happy to work alongside magic users or other unsavory types of the opportunity presents itself. Unfortunately, you don't know enough about who's raiding the docks and who might be leading them to be sure what you're up against. You just hope to yourself that it's some low level goons.

Show
    You found it easy to trail the guard as he meandered away into the night. He wasn't trying to be particularly quiet or inconspicuous -- he may have just been headed home, but no one was out here to see him anyway, as far as he knew. You kept a moderate but consistent tail, never once arousing his suspicions.

The docks are not a straight, uniform row of piers but instead a jagged, winding and byzantine path along the Gotham River. Some of the piers are long, wide, deep water docks tethering large sailing ships, while others are much smaller. Some of the piers stand taller out of the water than others. Everywhere large stacks of barrels or crates obstruct your view, and some parts of the waters edge forms bays and inlets so you can't see very far ahead in most areas as the city juts out in front of you. There are occasional small buildings, shacks, and storage sheds and in several places boats are suspended in dry dock. The entire place is a maze; the only way for you to navigate your way through it is to keep your eyes on the departing Guard, since he clearly knows the area better than you do.

He walks for some time, and you begin to get frustrated. Just when you were about ready to give up and head back towards the way you came -- paydirt. He stopped about 20 or so yards up ahead of you, and began to talk to an unidentifiable figure, leaning out of the shadows and smoking some kind of cigar. The men's voices are low, but not too low. If you get a bit closer you ought to be able to hear them.

Show
    It's best to think of the area you're in as essentially a kind of outdoor dungeon at this time of night. Normal trappings of civilization are absent, everyone's either asleep or up to no good, and danger lurks around every corner.

You can make a listen check here, or inch a bit closer with move silently then try for an added bonus. Instead of following the path he took you could also Search/Spot for other angles to get a look at him and the person he's talking to. Any other checks you want to take here are okay as well.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

Thumbs up Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Show

Stephanie felt her head clear for the salty air, willing it to steal away whatever stink the Devilweed had inflicted as she remained Garrel’s midnight shadow. He unintentionally guided her around the barrels and inlets and shacks like a backalley Sherpa. But when the only thing she didn’t start to doubt was that whoever designed the place had obviously done so purely to crank up costs for its construction, he started speaking to a silhouette. She glanced from behind a barrel for a place she could circle around and see who the guard was speaking to, and to better hear.

Spoiler: Search, Move Silently, Listen, no Take 10?
    Show

Take 10
    When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10.
    As much as skills are the one thing a natural 1 don’t autofail (unless we’re homebrewing it, which can be fun, but please give me a heads up first?), I’ve now wandered into an unfamiliar dungeon solo like any wise player would, and you did say it feels like danger lurks around every corner. And that doesn’t sound like a relaxing experience, so I think I have to roll for once.

Search for a place to see their face: (1d20+10)[28]
    Move Silently to hear what they’re saying better: (1d20+14)[26]
    Listen to what they’re saying (idk what the modifiers are so nothing extra added yet) : (1d20+6)[11]
    Knowledge: Local. Is the person Garrel is speaking to a local ‘personality’ I would know? (1d20+10)[16]

Also on unrelated notes I bought items that would fit in a utility belt.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barbara intially attempts to find a choke point that any potential thieves would have to pass through to continue, but is holding out little hope given the twisting weaving nature of the docks. Instead she sends out Juluis to hunt and calls for him to report back if any humanoids other than the present company enter the protected area of the docks, she has some spells to let her locate people but only if they're already known to be present in one form or another.

As they arrive she talks with the others. "So... either of you have any tricks for stakeouts like this? Or do we just stay quiet, keep eyes and ears open and wait until someone takes the bait.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I really have nothing, sorry. I can hide and move better than you would think, though."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    You deftly, gracefully moved down a short pathway that the guard had walked before marking his position and cutting around a stack of barrels and ropes and approaching him from a different angle. The shadows cling to you like you were born to them, and you deftly step over puddles and debris to avoid making any sound. After observing the two for a moment, you spot an opportunity; nearby is a huge cargo wagon, uncovered but partially filled with crates. You are able to approach them from behind the wagon, and peering around it you can make out the faces of both men.

The man that Garrel is talking to is wearing basic commoner's clothes, but he looks burly and dirty and sports several ugly scars. His arms are bare, and covered in tattoos. One of them stands out to you from the rest; a key topped with a skull. You don't recognize the man, but you'd know his marking anywhere: it's the sigil of the Thieves Guild.

You're having a bit of trouble hearing them, but you were able to get pretty close, so it's not too hard.

"...you sure?" said Garrel.

"Yea man.....Raam and the.....are already on deck. It's happening.....the hell are you so worried...out?" the Thieves Guild man replied.

You weren't able to capture every word, but the jist seemed pretty clear.

"Listen. Fox has brought in....I'm not sure how many but.....They're all armed. At least one of 'em's a wizard."

The Thieves Guilder tossed the cigar on the ground and stomped it out.

"Where are they...."

"They were with the old.....I left. They'll be snooping.....ocks by now."

Spoiler: Rest of the Party
    Show
    Your party has wound it's way through the warrens and the lights from the Guildhall have long since faded behind you. It's difficult to see much around you; several small boat masts and a few different piles of barrels and debris block a lot of your vision. Ahead of you, you can continue traveling west down the docks in between two rows of staged barrels. To the right, another path opens up along the cobblestones, running in between a nearby warehouse and a few other buildings beyond.

A row of different buildings run along the north side of the docks, opposite the water. They're ramshackle, sometimes lopsided, and all of different heights, but they're jammed together so close it would be fairly easy to move from one rooftop to the other, if necessary.

Up ahead, the docks branch out into the river again and several large multi-pronged piers spread out into the water, and you can see a few different sized ships moored there. The docks are similarly laded with piles of crates and barrels and there are occasional storage sheds puncturing the landscape both on land and over the water. About a hundred yards west, another large warehouse looms right where the river cuts back north, obscuring your view of the next pier. Several other piles of supplies near that warehouse create a sort of choke point before you will be able to round the next bend.

Finally, in between the two warehouses are several tight paths with lots of looming shadows and odd angles; the place is messy to the point of seeming more like a maze then a well ordered industrial center. You don't see any signs of movement -- yet. There's plenty of places to hide.

As you make your way forward, there's the slightest, almost imperceptible flutter and Julius flapped back to Barbara from the dark sky above.

Show
    Julius seems happy -- or, maybe not happy, perhaps excited is a better word. You can't tell exactly what he means, but you're certain he's found people up ahead -- and he knows where they are. His eagerness seems to radiate from having accomplished what you asked of him. He snuggles his ugly bat head against your hood and the faint sound of his subsonic chirping hums in your ear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Jason looks to Barbra and shakes his head. "Nothing fancy. I was going to find the highest vantage point as try and see them as they crept in, possibly proving overwatch. other than that I ten dot be more proactive. Pulling guard detail isn't really me speed."

With that said he does just that, searching out the best vantage point and scaling up to it.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spot: (1d20+4)[16]

Climb: (1d20+6)[26]

Assuming this works he'll look out from there and ready his crossbow for the potential to shoot something tonight....
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedKnightGirl

cool Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Show

Stephanie smiled tightly as the thrill of vindication shot through her even as she crouched – before she looked at her way out. It was the same jumbled pathway of piers and shacks and barrels. The scarred bruiser looked annoyed enough to move his timescale forward long before she could warn anyone, and hunkering down to empty a crossbow quiver into his back when they made their move risked that she wouldn’t get taken out by any hidden thugs the Thieves Guild sometimes had crawling around their operations. Her brow furrowed for better options. She sighed softly.

Laying her left hand flat over black leather at her chest, the tiniest pinch of a silver hearth answered. Hey, Estanna? See, what I’m about to pull, I swear is to keep that crapshack of a Guild’s Hall in business, okay? So if honest work for Gotham’s families is a thing, or even just getting ya girl back home safe again is, please give me all the protection you can spare. For hearth and home. Prayer done, she unfurled to her full height with a little stretch and a grunt. Ducking and darting through shadows was nothing but stiff legs and tight spaces. She preferred the confidence game for a reason.

Perhaps we can make a deal,” Stephanie smiled congenially as she half presented herself from behind the wagon, her concealed hand holding a leather back.

Before you ask, Garrel led me here. Anyway, two of the mercenaries you’re worried about? They’re with me. We trickled in separately to stay low profile. The shipment tomorrow is juicy enough even the wizard wanted in. But right now, we all have the exact same problem. That big stupid knight is definitely not apart of the plan; we didn’t dream old man Fox still had the chops to call in that kind of support.” She offered a knowing smirk at the slender guard. “But rumour has it dear Garrel here knows how to make a knight disappear. So here’s the corner of it: The wizard has eyes on me. Safety precaution. You agree to give us,” she squinted through her pause then, seemingly gauging the two men.

Si – seven percent of the cut, with a guaranteed in for me and Red to join the Thieves Guild afterwards. Then we can easily arrange for Red and Garrel to go on patrol with that knight. We confirm our friend has done his best impression of an anchor, I quickly press a knife to the Lord geriatric’s neck, and whatever guards pass for his carers realize it’s a great time to reconsider prospects. You handle heavy lifting, my wizard does appraisals. Simple. Smooth. Solid?

She arched her brow.

Spoiler: Bluff
    Show

I tried to make the whole Bluff as believable as possible.

Bluff: (1d20+14)[30]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Juluis returns, Barbara smiles softly and turns to the other two figures.

"I've got a hit that I'm going to check out, keep eyes on me. If I do this." She says holding up the pinky and ring finder of her right hand. "It means these are the sort of people we need to deal with, so you two should follow me over and put them down once I've disabled them. If there's a flash of golden light it means trouble has started ans you should hurry.

With that Barabara begins moving slowly towards the direction her bat indicated, trying to keep out of line of sight from them and move quietly enough to get within range for here to hear them. Ready to divine further details if her initial look pays dividends.

Show

Rolling Move Silently as this seems high pressure in that department
    MS: (1d20+10)[14]
    Listen, gonna take 18. That's enough to hear people whispering at 30ft or a regular thug walking at 80ft.
    Hide if I an't stay out of line of sight: (1d20+8)[16]

If there seem to be at least four people there and they are genuinly suspicious I'm gonna cast detect thoughts on the group. DC17

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I'll get ready" whispers Kate. She manifests "concealing amorpha" and "urban strider" then readies her dorje to give herself a shield.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    Jason climbed up a nearby supply shed, effortlessly bounding up as though it was almost no effort. From the top of the stack, he could make out what he thought were lights in the distance, but they were further off. It was hard to know what the woman's bat pet had warned them about, and he didn't think it had flown quite that far. Whatever he was looking for must have been closer, but if there were people there he couldn't see them.

Barbara snuck forward, going around and to the side of the shed that Jason had climbed, looking for any signs or disturbances. She didn't hear any loud conversations, but around the next bend she was absolutely sure she could hear at least two people whispering. Someone coughed, quietly enough that they appeared to try to stifle it, but she was sure what she'd heard.

Pleased with what she'd discovered, Barbara cast detect thoughts, pinching a copper piece between two fingers with one hand and drawing invisible arcane symbols with the other, all the while chanting the ancient words that would bring the spell forth.

As she focused the spell, she heard a gruff, male voice speak up at normal volume.

"Hey, someone's over there."

Spoiler: Detect Thoughts
    Show
    You get a surprise round of the spell off even before one of your targets figured out you were nearby. You can get through the second round before they walk over and find you, but reaching the third round of the spell will require them to become distracted and look somewhere else.

The first round confirms that their are sentient thoughts in the area.

The second round shows five individual minds are in the spell's area of effect.

I'll leave the decision of whether to keep channeling to round three up to you.

Show
    The two men are startled and agitated. Garrell's hand is on the head of the handax at his belt, and the thieves guild bruiser puts his own hand behind his back, but they don't attack you right out of the gates.

"How the fug did you follow me here!?" Garrell hissed.

"Shut up," The bruiser snapped. "That doesn't matter. You guys are trying to get in on the cut, and turn over Old Man Fox? Does Raam know about you? I haven't seen you around Fort Clinton before."

Stephanie's hooks were in. She'd need to do a bit more to sell the scam, but the two men hadn't turned and attacked her outright. She just needed to get them to trust her.
    Last edited by Molan; 2021-10-22 at 09:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Barbara heard the gruff voice she slowly began to retreat, she’d not yet had time to reach the interesting details of these thought processes but if they were heading towards someone out here rather than leaving to avoid trouble it was good reason to be suspicious.

Wordlessly, she repeated the earlier gesture with her left hand, signalling her companions while taking a small strip of leather from her belt and pressing it to her shoulder, watching as it transformed into insubstantial Mage Armour.

Then she began to quietly back away, looking for a spot that couldn’t be approached without any enemies bunching close to each other, and preferably one with cover from where they’re emerging now.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-10-22 at 01:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

RedKnightGirl

smile Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Show

A nod answered the questions on payment and the guild master. Stephanie slowly revealed her hidden hand to help sooth tensions, and shook the little leather bag innocently. “A small cut, and one that might well fit into this if we don’t attend to details, as you’re wisely trying to hash out. Raam isn’t aware of me, no – an introduction would help ensure there’s no extra complications tonight.” To his point on Fort Clifton, she shrugged non-committally. “Sometimes, it pays not to stand out too much.

It was then Stephanie finally stepped out from behind the wagon more fully, but made no effort to approach. “Anyway, you’re both right to be angry. For whatever its worth, I only followed Garrel because I banked heavily he had the expertise and connections needed to pull off something like tonight. So far, you’re both exactly what I expected. Name’s Spoiler.

Spoiler: On the alias, Diplomacy
    Show

I’m guessing as a level 4, even with the Thieves Guild and House Kyle occasionally clashing, the Thieves Guild seem to have a lot of enemies, so it’s incredibly unlikely he’ll match the alias up. Now, if this were a narrows Rogue, maybe I’d skip the whole alias thing….

Diplomacy: (1d20+18)[20]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

From his rooftop vantage point he will peer out and attempt to see through the night to discern what's out there, keeping his crossbow ready to unleasha bolt into the first intruder he see with intent to wound for capture.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show

(1d20+4)[13]