New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

The man flipped, and hurled into a series of curses and threats at Barbara. But he refrained from trying to strike her -- he was still well inside the reach of Kate's halberd. The half orc snarled at him, clearly eager to find their compatriots and move on.

"Shut up. They're not worth it. Let Raam sort them out. he nodded at the party. "His name is Renk. And there was no one else here with us, so I don't know what you're talking about. Are we good here?"

With that, the half-orc started off after Rictus and Renk and the half elf eventually followed suit. The party shared a brief look between each other, as if to say, "Whelp, we're in it now." Before following the thieves down the docks.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Some thieves guild captains are run of the mill mobsters. Others are accomplished footpads and sneak thieves or experienced con men. Raam is none of those things. He's a violent half-giant bruiser who runs the Fort Clinton Slums through fear, intimidation and protection rackets. It's rumored that he carries a huge exotic sword, and some rumors even claim that he's psychic.

Spoiler: Oracle
    Show
    Dench is actively hoping that when you reach Pier 42, someone named "Ghol" will decide to kill you and bring your corpses to Raam rather than cutting you in, but he's not willing to put himself at risk to that end. Ghol is guarding the end of the pier with 3 other thugs; apparently one of them is a mage and a bit of a sociopath.

Renk hopes the same but his animosity is split between you and Dench for putting him in this situation. But he trusts Rictus; if Rictus says you're cool he's less concerned about getting killed. By you, at least.

The half elf feels better now that Spoiler calmed him down. He's hoping once you meet Ghol and the thieves outnumber you again he'll feel better, but he clutches the Thunderstone Spoiler gave him tightly in his fist, ready to chuck it and run if things go south. If it comes to a fight, he's more likely to be a hindrance to his friends than you at this point.

Rictus' mind remains closed to you, and you lost the missing mind completely.

Julius however is not. At the edge of your empathic link you can feel him chasing his target. The missing thief is moving the same direction as you, west, but he's ahead of you. At this rate he'll reach Ghol and the others at the end of the pier first.

As the party marches forward, you can see the market about fifty yards or more ahead marking your destination. Pier 42. Somewhere off in the water to your left, the Chraal is docked, and Raam and his thieves are almost certainly aboard. You still have some time before you reach the pier, but not much. If you have Any checks or prep you want to do before you arrive, now's the time.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barbara looks derisively at the half orcs insistence as she continues on, and looks meaningfully towards both Kate and the Red Masked Mercenary with a more hesitant one to Spoiler as well. While walking she continues shooting scarely vieled barbs at the previous thugs, and when they next express irritation uses that as cover for the next part of her organising.

"Well, if the children can't abide some harsh judgements, I wouldn't want to expose them to any more unkindness. Let me just confer with the proper people more privately."

With that she sidled up closer to Kate, and now with an excuse, and her eyes locked on the thugs to further distract attention reached up to whisper into her ear.

"Same mark as earlier, hit those few who are still armed first then it'll be our job to get clear of the scene before any reinforcements show up. Gonnna have red over there draw them out, then we hit the depleted guard after. You ready for this?"

Such was followed only by waiting for any reply and chuckling at the half orc again before she went to the red masked merc and repeated her scheme.

"Gonna take them out before they group up, same hand sign as earlier. Once we've dropped any with weapons can you get the rest moving away from the pier with enough noise to draw others out from there then get them lost in the city? You seem capable enough. Ready to play that game."

Once recieving a reply there she finally silded up to Stephanie, pulling her just a few steps away from the criminal she was walking beside before passing on. "Time to show your colours, I'll point with thumb and pinky when it's time to drop anyone still armed. With the names and details we got we can talk our way in amongst the pier guards, especially once some have been drawn off. You ready?"

Spoiler: IF NO OBJECTIONS ARE RECIEVED
    Show

Once they've all had due chance to object she waits until they're the right distnce from the docks, needling the initial thugs while she does. Hoping to provoke an outburst and an excuse to thin the herd early. Deliberatey ensuring Kate was not between her and he unarmed thug, in the hope that this slight reduction in fear would allow his bravado to win and using what she read from his thoughts to further refine her taunts.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Diplomacy: Now over an appropriate time frame: (1d20+2)[12]

If that succeeds, this is the readied action.

Failing that, she simply waits until they're in the appropriate place, then strides forward to strike Rickus over the head with a sap.

(1d20+3)[20]
    (2d6)[9]
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-10-29 at 10:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As Barbara begins the escalation, Kate uses her dorje a second time.

Finally. Something I'm good at.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

=On the walk to the pier=

Stephanie looked nonchalant when Rickus kept them moving, and picked a pace to fall in line with the two strangers that had a personal vendetta against the knight and wizard pair she had thrown in with. She smiled as innocently at them as the sheathed sap and dagger at her hips allowed.

Renk. Dench,” the vigilante started amiably. “They call me Spoiler. Look, sorry for not telling the others to lay off sooner. We could have avoided the whole thing if I had hashed out details quicker and saved everyone a headache. ” She grimaced at the admittance. “Like yourselves, I’m a professional at acquiring excess goods. But as much as I want into the Guild, too much has gone wrong tonight to run my mouth about a cut. Raam will know who deserves what.

Stephanie gave an unimpressed glance at Rickus’ back as he led the way, and the wizard that kept provoking them. She had to at least appear on the side of the thugs. “Still, I don’t know why the boss calls you two idiots all the time; it’s pretty street smart going for an ambush. Never mind brave, if you’re still throwing barbs when you ain’t even armed. You must be among Rickus’ best men.” She paused, letting the lapping of the tide, the flitter of distant bat wings, and the lightest crackle of torch flames better sell the soothing point for her.

She lowered her voice noticeably, keeping it within earshot of Renk and Dench. “So – why’d he have no prob letting strangers decide if we gut you like seabass or not? I don’t care that he pissed off our major in with the guards tonight; only you two can tell me if that puts this whole damn operation in jeopardy or not. But my big concern is to get in, and only you two know Rickus and the captain well. He’s not gonna blame all the screw ups tonight on us if we don’t hash this out before the Chraal, right?

Spoiler: Take 10 Bluff and Diplomacy to Human and Half Orc, Molan
    Show

On the walk to the pier, kind of like earlier when it was Garrel and Rickus talking, only I’m trying to add spices to the pot. Obviously attempt winning them to my ‘side’ and redirect their anger against Rickus/preferably away from Batgirl/Her Knight In Mate Armour.

Take 10 Bluff: 24
    Take 10 Diplomacy: 28.

=Near to pier 42=

They arrived close to pier 42, and Stephanie felt herself tightening up. Knowing herself well enough, it was time to give the two strangers an out of her schemes if they wanted it, and consider if she didn’t want out herself. They had the Thieves' location, and that was a fair place to cut the con. The uncanny wizard and quiet knight were ahead of her on that. When Batgirl came close and explained escalating the situation, she nodded non-committally, as if only the mundane was said. She drew her sai – the least threatening weapon on her person – and started needling it softly into her neck like an impromptu neck massager. Meeting a Thieves’ Guild captain was stressful even without first starting a fight outside of his place of operations alongside total strangers.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-29 at 06:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the party neared Pier 42 and Barbara and Stephanie continued to cajole and taunt the thieves back and forth, the situation finally deteriorated beyond repair.

"You know what? That's about enough." Renk snarled. He turned and hurled a fist at Barbara's head.

Rictus turned around, drawing his dagger, a confused look on his face. "The fug'r you morons doing!" He demanded. But he'd lost control of the room too. Dench spat in his directly and wound up a haymaker for his boss. Renk's fist swung wide of Barbara's face, but the half-orcs meating fist slammed straight into Rictus' nose, prompting a howl of anger and a fountain of blood.

The thieves had turned on each other -- they were too confused, scared (of their boss and the party both, it seemed) and angry to think clearly. The half elf saw everything going south and promptly bolted, not towards Pier 42 but back towards the city, away from the docks.

The red helmed mercenary that'd been traveling with them nodded at Barbara and took off, not after the half elf, but after their missing thief. It wasn't long before the party could hear some shouting a couple dozen yards away from them, along with the barking of an angry dog. Whatever the red helmed man did now, they'd have to hope for the best.

With only three thieves and three party members left, the numbers of the fight were about even, but the odds were far from it. Jason had bought the group some time to avoid being noticed, but they had to down the three thieves before they sounded an alarm. However Dench and Renk were unarmed, and not especially trained to fight with their fists against armed opponents, and they'd turned on Rictus, who wore no armor and carried only a dagger.

There was a window, but it was a narrow one.

Spoiler: Party
    Show
    Same initiative order, you guys go first. Thieves got a surprise round. Go!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kate uses daze on Renk, over-channeling to provide a boost for combat in the next round, even though the brute probably doesn't need it.

Spoiler: the breakdown
    Show

Daze cast at effective power 3 for 1 pp

(1d100)[28] need 11 or higher to avoid enervation

Either way, Renk suffers the effect of Psionic daze if he is 6HD or lower unless he succeds a DC 14 will save

7. - Top - End - #67

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

=Fight, round 1=

Stephanie quickly darted behind the bulky leader. “I’m with ya, Dench!” she cheered the half-orc on, and swung her sai at the back of Rickus’ head. “Kick his ass.

Spoiler
    Show

Because you gave us initiative, a sneak attack damage is certain (thankfully). But first:

1, Move action behind Rickus to ideally block any chance of running away, but also flank preferably with the half-orc (and/or Oracle) for the next round.

2, Standard action attack.

Attack accuracy: (1d20+11)[28] (+9 normally, +2 with flank)
    Sai damage: (1d6-1)[3]
    Sneak attack damage: (2d6)[10]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-29 at 08:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rickus hit the docks like a sack of bricks, knocked completely out cold. Dench's fist had smacked his head backwards and straight into Oracle's sap. He staggered forward and Spoiler struck him one last time, sending him face down into the boards.

There was another burst of odd tension in the air and, for the second time in less than an hour, Kate blasted one of the thieves with a psychic thrust, Dazing Renk and preventing him from taking any further swings, at least for a brief moment.

Dench looked around, still breathing heavily, his blood pumping, and took in the situation. He was unarmed and suddenly surrounded. Spoiler had done a good job acting as an ally, and she'd been pretty convincing. But the night had more or less gone tits up for him, and things were starting to look pretty dire. He glared at Spoiler.

"You really want in? Prove it. Help me bring these dregs in front of Raam so he can rip them up."

With that, he wound up a really heavy, reckless swing and swung his fist at Barbara, smashing it straight into her chest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Woof. That worked better than I thought, sorry JB lol. You take 10 nonlethal damage from Dench's punch.

9. - Top - End - #69

RedKnightGirl

=Fight, round 2=

Winching at the wizard taking a blow right to the breast, Stephanie moved up behind the half orc. “Or – we become his new crew to replace you three.” She aimed her sai at the shoulder blade of his dominant hand.

Spoiler
    Show

1, Move action behind Dench to flank with Oracle before she does anything?

2, Standard action attack.

Attack accuracy: (1d20+11)[25] (+9 normally, +2 with flank)
    Sai damage: (1d6-1)[4]
    Sneak attack damage: (2d6)[6]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-29 at 10:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler's sai slid straight through the thick layer of muscle covering Dench's shoulder blade and landed home, ripping a nasty hole in his back. He snarled in agony, clutching in vain for a wound he couldn't reach. He stumbled a bit; Barbara and Kate had already landed a few decent blows to his head not too long ago, and the combined punishment looked like it was beggining to catch up to him.
    Last edited by Molan; 2021-10-30 at 01:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barbara withdraws 30ft away from the fight, wheezing and spluttering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

cool Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

Kate attempts to take down Renk, the last standing thief, by wallopping him on the side of his head with a pole are.
    Spoiler: actions
    Show

To hit (-4 for using a weapon for subdual, +2 for euporia) (1d20+5)[9]
    If successful (2d6+4)[12]

Kate then takes a 5 foot step closer so the thief will provoke if he runs.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kate's swing misses, though Renk is still dazed.

Dench was struggling, but he wasn't out yet. He swung around and tried decking Spoiler the same way he'd slammed Oracle, with a nasty haymaker.

Spoiler'd done well avoiding trouble up to that point, but once the big half orc swung around, there was nowhere to hide. His fist smashed the side of her face, staggering her back towards the water.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whoof. Sorry guys. That's two high attack rolls in a row. Stephanie takes 10 nonlethal damage. Kate would have torn Renk up pretty good, but her halberd missed.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Still winded but more on her feet than before, Barbara steps forward, pulls a crossbow and shoots at the raging half orc.

Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]+ (1d8)[1]

15. - Top - End - #75

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

=Fight, round 3=

Diamonds dancing around her gaze, copper to the taste, and the twang and sloosh of a bolt gone wide sounding somewhere behind, Stephanie dimly noted the water behind her back. The occupied knight and wizard with a crossbow – a universal sign in all arcana that she was empty. “Estanna,” the Gothamite girl intoned quietly, then sprung up and forward, pressed down unto Dench’s shoulders like a rickety podium, and somersaulted over his thick head. Landing heavier than she liked, she darted forward to flank the human the knight duelled.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 24 max. 10 nonlethal damage.
    AC: 17.

Tumble: (1d20+12)[18] (15 and above means it all goes well)

1, Move action to ‘tumble’ away from the half orc and flank the dazed human. Flank with knight so we both get an accuracy boost and I can sneak attack again.

2, Standard action attack the human.

Attack accuracy: (1d20+11)[25] (+9 normally, +2 with flank)
    Sai damage: (1d6-1)[0]
    Sneak attack damage: (2d6)[4]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-30 at 06:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kate steps back and tries again to club the man with the side of her poleaxe.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+6)[13] (+1 euphoria, +2 flanking, -4 subdual)
    (2d6+4)[8] If successful

Note- I misread the euphoria feature. It is a +1 for two rounds, not a +2 for one round. This mistake seems to have had no effect on game play, but I am correcting it going forward.

GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dench had had enough. Spoiler's sai rammed into his back a second time, opening another bleeding wound. He groaned, staggered forward, and jumped -- or, perhaps more accurately, fell -- into the dark water below.

Renk took the blow from Kate's halberd hard. The effects from her psionic attack wore off, and Renk spat blood and shook his head, overwhelmed from the repeated attacks. He looked around, saw that he was alone and surrounded, and dropped to a knee, holding his hands up.

"Alright, alright! I give up! Just don't hurt me. The hell is wrong with you skags."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Nothing wrong. Fox hired me to take down the Thieves' Guild and requested prisoners instead of corpses. You are just lucky enough to be at the front of the line."

She tosses minty cream potions to the others.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-10-30 at 06:47 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barbara nods gratefully at Kate, then drinks the minty potion, then withdraws a length of Silken Rope from her belt and passes a length to Stephanie.

"You look like you know how to use this more than I do, make sure they can't move and then we'll get them the right distance from the pier."

She then turns to Kate and continues.

"Maybe help me fish the swimmer out of the water? I doubt I could do it under my own strength but you seem much more capable and it'd be a shame to lose track of one. Then once we've got them tied we can figure out how to approach the next group. We probaly know enough now to convince them long enough to get in the best position to start bringing them down, maybe seperate them somewhat as well."

If Kate is ammenable she'll go over to the waters edge, and offer the swimming man a rope up if he'd take it, and a vauge gesture with her crossbow to indicate what would happen if he didn't.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-10-31 at 10:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There was a tug on the rope, and from out of the murky darkness in the water below, Dench reemerged, now shivering, near unconsciousness and utterly defeated. He was incredibly heavy. Without Kate's help Oracle would never have been able to pull him out.

Once the soggy half orc was back on the dock, he and Renk stayed down. Renk had given up any attempts to resist, Rickus was still unconscious and Dench was teetering on the edge of passing out himself. Whatever else had just happened with the Red Hood down at Pier 42 aside, the immediate danger to the party was over.

The three women stood over their vanquished foes. Kate stood calmly and undaunted as ever, while Spoiler and Oracle were both still partially recovering from the brutal strikes Dench had given them before he'd fallen in the water.

Out of the darkness of the evening, there was an almost imperceptible flutter of wings. Julius returned, and landed on Oracle's shoulder.

Spoiler: Oracle
    Show
    Julius seems happy, even excited. You don't know exactly what he "saw", or more accurately heard, over at Pier 42, but his positive mood lifts your spirits. You're sure that the thief you sent him to find is not lost -- though whether that's because he stopped moving or was defeated by the Red Hood, you have no idea. He's seen some other's too, and you get the sense he knows they're hostile, but he's still relieved. There was some danger, some priority threat over at Pier 42 that had scared the little bat, and whoever or whatever it was is now apparently gone or moved on.

21. - Top - End - #81

RedKnightGirl

Seeing the half orc stagger after using his body for a gymnastic prop, Stephanie knew then her weight had been too taxing for him after all his injuries. He dropped off into the waves below. Thinking him surely dead, his friend immediately surrendered. An aching jaw and taste of blood lingered in sharp reminder why she had made a habit of avoiding brawls. Catching the green elixir pulled her from her thoughts, but she coyly delayed drinking until seeing the others do it themselves. After a surreptitious sniff at the odourless content, she turned herself enough away to allow herself to swish the healing potion in her stinging mouth before downing blood and potion in one. The mask was fully replaced when she turned back.

Thanks for that. Did House Kane hook you up with a squire to help hold the fort as well?

The con artist otherwise went uncharacteristically quiet when the second stranger asked her to tie them up, and she grasped the silken rope as the hand of a cheating spouse. Had the wizard not then tossed a line in an attempt to save the half-orc’s life, she would have listened to a quiet doubting voice saying the three thieves had been divided and unarmed, and still gave a strong reply. They weren’t taking Raam in a fair fight at all. She nodded approvingly when they somehow retrieved the exhausted half orc. Adrenaline fading, she reluctantly went to the unconscious man first, knelt down, and made two identical loops for Rickus’ hands at his back. Overlapping, looping, tightening, doubts softened as the handcuff knot formed. Two overhand knots finished it.

Stephanie moved over to dejected man second slowly, dagger to cut the rope in one hand, silken thread in the other. If they get arrested, they either fill some Justiciar’s palm to get out early, or we hope they’re so poor enough they’re easy targets to be beaten down for failing Raam later. That little helps anyone. She made a showing of circling and kneeling down in front of the human.

Fox can get all the info he needs from Rickus’, the closest medical care for your buddy is with the Merchants, and working through Gotham’s gauntlet in your state is craving a knife to the kidneys.” She didn’t know how else to describe the lawless twisting nether of gangs that took over the nightlife at ground level every evening. Even for a Midtown thief, it was dangerous for Renk to limp around in his state. Only rooftops were mostly safe.

You’ve got nothing if the knight hauls you in. But you get to Fox on your own two feet, sell Garrel to that old man like a dull knife to a haemophiliac, and warn about the Chraal? You got a solid shot at getting Dench the care he needs right now, and an easy bargain for Lord Fox’s protection. Anything less, and you’re done.

Stephanie fixed the Midtown man with a steady gaze. Whatever else she made of most nobles in Gotham, no one that knew Lucius’ decades long record could question that the lesser lord knew how to protect his assets and thrive in the face of Raam.

Meanwhile, we could use any details you can give us about the Chraal. Crew size, traps, any hostages? That kinda thing.

Spoiler: Take 10 Diplomacy, as usual
    Show

Result 28.

There’s probably important stuff to ask but I’m feeling OOC tired. I’m guessing for now that K: Local could at least tell me that the knight with the bat sigil is from house Kane. If not I’ll edit out later.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-10-31 at 09:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Renk shook his head, looking miserable.

"Look, it was supposed to be a quick smash and grab, okay? Garrel told Rickus that Fox was trying to move mage-paper overnight, so Raam took the whole crew out to pick it clean. That crap's stupid expensive, double so on the streets. Once we moved it we'd all have been set for life, and Fox'd be out of business for good.

The only thing is, we knew Fox knew people would be gunning for this haul. So they blend the mage-paper crates in with the rest of the regular cargo. Takes time to find all the right boxes. So Raam sent me, Dench, Holt and Esken to ambush anyone who came over this way. Then he sent Ghol and his buddies to guard the entrance to the pier. They're the ones you gotta worry about. Eberk'll know you're coming from at least a dozen yards off -- he likes to set trip wires up so they'll know if anyone's coming, and that dog of his can usually smell you before you see em. Plus Aust is a real piece of work; I've seen him burn people's homes down when they didn't pay protection.

Anyway, even if you got past them, that leaves Raam and six of his men on the Chraal finishing up the job. It's too many for you three. No offense.
    "

Spoiler: Know Local
    Show
    It occurs to you that the Chraal is likely a standard mid-sized deep sea shipping holk. It's a custom for Gothamite nobles to name their personal vessels after demons; chances are you've seen plenty such ships of that exact make and size.

Aust is a wizard, and is fairly infamous in Fort Clinton for being a particularly unscrupulous thieves guild enforcer. You've known Ghol to be one of the frequent names of mid level thieves that frequent the Slim's brothels, but little else.

Mage-paper is street slang referring to the various parchments, inks and special instruments required to write arcane spells into spellbooks. A shipment with multiple cases of "paper" would be worth a ludicrous amount of money. No wonder there's so much commotion over this shipment.
    Last edited by Molan; 2021-10-31 at 12:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I can add to some of this. Holt. The one who did a runner? He was headed that way, but then stopped so either red got them or he's with that lot now. Need to cover that as we get close, the mage is really messed up, once we're in close disabling them is top priority, they're not gonna hold back, but I don't think this one knows how to be creative enough with their magic. I still have enough tricks up my sleeve to bust out some magic, but the more I do that the fewer tricks I have to spare for the Charl. If they're in the habit of stealing aetheric gear though we might be able to repurpose some of that once we gain access to their stockpiles, but we probably need to move at a decent speed if we want in before red hood's finished his job. If you've got a story to tell Spoiler, feel free to tell it to these thugs. Though while we're talking, no names with these type in the room OK? No need to make trouble.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-11-02 at 07:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kate grunts at the implication she is obviously affiliated with House Kane, and gestures assent for Stephanie's plan.

She then moves forward towards the pier, trying her level best to be stealthy and observant...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #85

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

While Renk talked, Stephanie worked behind him with the silk rope to fashion a matching pair of a handcuff knot, if only to appease their wizard. But she eyed Fox’s chosen mercenaries carefully when the blabbing thief divulged what the payload actually was. Whatever the Guild Master was offering them to risk their lives was likely copper change compared to what the spellbooks and scrolls were worth. But then, smart money says only the little rogue girl didn’t know. Merchant’s Guild, Mage College, House Kane – they’re all in on some kind of deal. She pulled a face behind the mask sporting the slightest crack where she had been punched. She pat Renk on the back when she was done, only a little before he claimed them incapable of stopping the theft.

See, that’s where you ain’t quite right, Renk. Tactician. Mastermind. Loveable rogue.” She pointed confidently at the knight, the wizard, and gave a wink herself. “Throw in Red’s ability to put faces through floorboard, and we got this.” She rose with an aplomb she didn’t fully feel, but had to maintain. “Now walk your ass to the Merchant’s Guild and take my advice to heart. Fox really is the only guy in Midtown that can give you what you need short term, and long.

The wizard started sharing informing, and whatever relief at hearing there was still juice in the magical tank was short-lived for casually revealing her identity. A confused brow was arched while Stephanie’s heart raced. Questions. I asked too many damn questions trying to pin down who was pulling off tonight. Great. She ratted out Holt about Zucco – double bluff? The Baron can’t have the mage-papers, so hired her to run interference? Who is this? An uncaring shrug came next.

I have no idea who that is,” Stephanie lied effortlessly. “But you two got Uptown spraypainted on, so let me name actual names. Raam’s whole shtick is keeping Fort Clinton’s primary exports of kneecaps and shakedowns at a premium. Half Giant, huge sword, but being psychic is pure Tetch territory. Speculation, not certainty. Meanwhile, Ghol’s a mid-level enforcer and a leach, while Aust as a wizard is exactly as principled he sounds. We win those two to our angle, or ambush our way through this. Fair fights won’t win us Midtown. Now, while we’re moving to check up on Red, this gig doesn’t exactly scream extra credit or banners and glory. You two mind telling who you are?

Spoiler: Take 10 (Use Rope, Search), rolling (Listen, Spot)
    Show

I’m guessing we can’t both move silently/hide while trying to move quickly enough to check that Red’s ok. But I’m still Searching for traps on the way there.

Listen: (1d20+6)[25]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[25]
    Use Rope to constrain Rickus hands/feet and Renk’s hands, Take 10: 34. (+10 bonus, +2 Silk Rope, +12 baseline, +10 Taking).
    Search for traps on the way to Red, Take 10: 20.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2021-11-02 at 04:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Barabara, looked back making sure any thugs were left behind before she spoke, and mentally called Juluis bck to her rather than having him continue flitting around their enemies. Then swallowing she came to a decision.

You've heard inside her head and she's played ball so far, if I can't trust her I'm already screwed. Besides, the others know already.

You're far off on that one, I'm not an uptown kid. From West Side to Columbia Point, that's where I roamed growing up. And I'm just in it for money that I can take and then still feel good about.

With that she pulls back her hood and slides up her mask for just a second.

I'm Barbara Gordon, heir to Justicar's keep. You wanna share your life story or move onto these thugs?

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Listen: [roll[1d20+10[/roll]
    Spot: [roll[1d20+2[/roll]
    Search: [roll[1d20+13[/roll]

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-11-02 at 09:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Katelyn Kane of House Kane, chevaliesse of the realm, formerly of the Marine Corps, at your service"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It would be difficult for any three citizens of Gotham, surrounded by danger and subterfuge at every moment, threatened by cutthroats and worse in the dark, to form any kind of bond. But against all odds, these three women had. "Barbara", who called herself Oracle, was incredibly cunning and her magical prowess had already paid them dividends. "Stephanie", who's street name was Spoiler, was clearly as persuasive as Barbara was intelligent. The way Spoiler had worked over the thieves had opened doorways to them that otherwise would have been paid in pain and blood. And Katherine, silent, brooding, armor clad Katherine, had proven one trait above all -- steadfastness. Nothing moved her, she had been a small island made of iron this entire evening, and both Oracle and Spoiler would be counting on her going forward, despite having never seen her face.

The party's newfound bonds were spiriting, but also came on the heels of dark news.

They approached Pier 42 to find it well defended.

Part of it was obscured, but she could see a larger-to-medium sized merchant vessel tied up at the end of it. It's hard to see what kind of activity is occurring at the end of it, but based on the description it was mostly likely the Chraal. At the entrance to the pier was a large warehouse, and the front side of the warehouse was covered by a large wooden awning. The awning was supported by two large wooden beams at the front end, and connected to the warehouse itself on the back. At least two large stacks of crates and barrels obscured the area under the awning from the party's view. There were at least three or four different approaches to get under the awning, and a couple of other paths to get from the over-crowded, maze-like docks onto the pier itself, but she had no way of knowing for sure what, or who, might be waiting for them behind those crates.

Spoiler: Listen
    Show
    You can all hear the sounds of tense shouting. Someone has come through here recently, and he caused some chaos and bloodshed before he left. At least two, maybe three of the people guarding Pier 42 sound like they've run off chasing him, though you're not sure. Another appears to be incapacitated; two theives are arguing over what to do with his corpse.

Spoiler: Spot / Search
    Show
    Several trip wires can bee seen, by both Spoiler and Oracle, on your way to the pier. They seem designed to alert the defenders to your presence. Along the pier, you can see multiple random barrels filled with unidentifiable substances. They appear to have Alchemist Guild warnings on them.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The three women moved into positions atop some of the crates at the edge of the large overhanging awning, to gain better vantage of what was happening beyond.

The scene below was chaotic. Three men stood in a semi-circle around a figure lying on the ground. The figure was wearing leather armor and had carried a short sword, but he'd been struck on the head and was bleeding. It was hard to tell if he was dead or alive.

One of the men was human, he carried a longsword at his hip and had a small shield strapped to his arm, and wore a long studded leather cuirass. He looked like a professional fighter. Next to him stood a gnome, wearing similar armor, carrying a small longspear. Sitting about ten feet behind them on top of some boxes was an elf wearing a long tunic, his head covered in a cowl. He had a book in front of him and several scattered pieces of paper nearby; he was working on something, and seemed irritated that he was being distracted by the violence that had gone on nearby.

"Should one of us go tell them?" the gnome said.

"Fug no. What's wrong with you? Raam's not going to give a goblin's arse about fuggin' Holt. Come on."

"I know that, idiot. But whoever that was could have friends."

"Don't worry about it. Eberk and his dog'll bring him down."

"Yea, no s#$t! That's not the point! If Holt's hear and there are mercs crawling around the dock, what are the odds that Dench and his moron friends are still drawing breath? They could have men coming this way right now."

"You're drunk." the elf snapped, "And loud. Lucius Fox can't afford to recruit a housecat to help him now, much less an entire band of sellswords. Now shut up for fug's sake, if I have to start this over one more time I'm lighting one of you on fire."

"He's right Dimble. Don't worry about it. This job is a done deal."

The thieves still have no idea that the party is nearby. So far, no one's moved.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kate activates her combat buffs, then signals.

Fingers to forehead pointing to the elf, then pointing at him with her poleaxe. I daze him, then charge.

Spoiler: enervation test
    Show

(1d100)[81] need an 11 or better.
    DC 14 will save if I succeed.
    GNU Terry Pratchett