New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder 1e, build optimization question: The melee sorcerer

So I'm fairly new to PF1e tabletop, and been wondering if this build would survive transfering from CRPG to tabletop version of the game.
    www[dot] neoseeker [dot] com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character#Melee_Sorcerer

TL'DR for the build:
    1 lvl of unchained monk, scaled fist. Get crane style + dodge. Take monk weapon for flurry (two attack at full BAB)
    4 lvls of sorc, Acrobatics to 3 (at lvl) knowledge arcana - 5. Use fighting defensively from then on. Gives +4 dodge AC and only -2 to attacks. 4 lvls of sorc also gets you +1 nat armor, and 5 energy resistence of your choice.
    Take 4 lvls for dragon disciple (+4 STR, +2 to nat armor. stacking with everything. 2/3 bab, 3/4 + to caster level)
    At lvl 9 go full eldritch knight.

So, basically, pretty solid stuff. Gets you nice BAB, insane AC, and you're a full caster.

Now to tabletop:

GM allows only paizo's stuff.
    We've got 20 point buy, 2 traits, 1 drawback (which gives 1 more trait), and GM let me pick another. So 4 traits in total.
    Everyone also gets an extra feat on start (so humans start with whooping 3 feats).

I'm thinking about going aasimar (angelkin) to get the same stats as shown in the build.
    Then using alt traits for getting bite attack earlier (Lost Promise).
    Getting Truespeaker alt race trait to get 2 more languages (draconic for dragon disciple and one more).

For traits, I'm choosing magical knack (+2 to CL, up to char level).
    Prince (+1 to diplomacy & intimidation, makes one of these a class skill).
    Indomitable Faith (+1 to will saves)
    On a side not, is "Cautious Warrior" trait one of the Paizo's? Looks pretty good for the build. Gives +1 dodge AC while fighting defensively.

First level will be unchained monk, Scaled fist.
    Feats:
    Dodge;
    Crane style;
    No idea. Extended spell maybe?
    From lvl 1 to lvl 8 I'm planning on going with Monk weapons (flurry gets me a second attack at full BAB). From levle 9 and on, switching to a longsword for life, to get 1.5 STR bonus to attacks.
    so weapon foci isn't the best choice at the moment.

LvL 3: Power attack? (not sure)
    LvL 5: Martial weapons proficiency (for EK)
    LvL 7: Weapon foci (long sword)
    LvL 9: Crane wing +4 to AC against melee. Build gets +5 BaB at lvl 8)

Maybe I should go for Shatter Defenses build?
    Any suggestions on feats would be appreciated.

As for spells, in my opinion the must have ones are:
    1:Shield, Mage armor (get from bloodline)
    2: Mirror image, Sense Vitals
    3: haste

Can you recommend any other spells that would go well with the build? Or would be fun to use?

Over all, any I'd be more than interseted in any advice on how to improve the build.
    Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder 1e, build optimization question: The melee sorcerer

You haven't mentioned what level you'll be playing at?

If it's low- to mid-level (anything up to level 12-13 or so) then the Magus class is going to be more effective at what you're trying to do here.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

To give some more specific ideas,

Shatter Defenses is for rogues. If you want a build like that, you should consider a Magus with Frostbite, Rime Spell, and Enforcer. This means you inflict entangled, shaken, and fatigue with your melee attacks. That's a better debuff than Shatter Defenses, and it comes online earlier. Take a Cruel weapon to add sickened to the mix.

Note that Crane Wing requires a free hand, so you can't get 1.5 str bonus on your longsword.

On a build like this, you probably want Weapon Finesse and go dex-primary, to further max your AC.

However: note that the Magus can make a full attack each turn AND cast a spell. That means you can boost your AC further with Shield and Mirror Image and whatnot, while still attacking. Magus can also flurry with a longsword straight from level two (by using Spellstrike). The Magus can also match your armor class (there's an archetype that gives int to AC), and he gets his iterative and his 2nd/3rd/4th level spells one level earlier than the dragon disciple; as well as a few more bonus feats. The two builds are pretty much tied in terms of attack bonus, hit points, and saving throws; but Spell Combat gives you a huge action economy advantage, and as a melee caster it's hard to beat that.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2021-10-19 at 06:30 AM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having played a Magus recently, I can second that suggestion. It’s a great gish class out of the box, and Spell Combat is amazing. Super fun to play, both versatile and powerful. I’m pretty sure there’s even a spontaneous casting archetype if you want to keep the Sorcerer feel. Check the guide in Kurald Galain’s signature - it really is great.

I know that’s not really what you asked for, but it’s probably a better way to gish in Pathfinder. In general, multiclassing for characters like this fits the 3.5 meta more than Pathfinder. Pathfinder has a few base classes that are already hybrid concepts and an archetype for pretty much everything, so 20 levels of a base class with the appropriate archetype tends to work great and come online sooner than a multiclassed build.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    You haven't mentioned what level you'll be playing at?

If it's low- to mid-level (anything up to level 12-13 or so) then the Magus class is going to be more effective at what you're trying to do here.
    It's going to be a custom campaign, from lvl 1 to lvl 20. So I'm looking for something that will be decent throughout the game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

To give some more specific ideas,

Shatter Defenses is for rogues. If you want a build like that, you should consider a Magus with Frostbite, Rime Spell, and Enforcer. This means you inflict entangled, shaken, and fatigue with your melee attacks. That's a better debuff than Shatter Defenses, and it comes online earlier. Take a Cruel weapon to add sickened to the mix.

Note that Crane Wing requires a free hand, so you can't get 1.5 str bonus on your longsword.

On a build like this, you probably want Weapon Finesse and go dex-primary, to further max your AC.

However: note that the Magus can make a full attack each turn AND cast a spell. That means you can boost your AC further with Shield and Mirror Image and whatnot, while still attacking. Magus can also flurry with a longsword straight from level two (by using Spellstrike). The Magus can also match your armor class (there's an archetype that gives int to AC), and he gets his iterative and his 2nd/3rd/4th level spells one level earlier than the dragon disciple; as well as a few more bonus feats. The two builds are pretty much tied in terms of attack bonus, hit points, and saving throws; but Spell Combat gives you a huge action economy advantage, and as a melee caster it's hard to beat that.
    Got it. Shatter defenses is must-have in CRPG, but it looks like it works a bit different in the game and not that usefull. As well as outflank.

I was looking more for CHA-based class, since our face can be lacking in IRL persuasion skills :) and it might be a good thing to have another person being able to back him up, or take the lead.
    Eldritch scion seems cool on a first sight, but the fact that I'll need to spend 2 point of arcane pool just to be able cast in combat for 2 round untill level 6 (or 8) makes this class whole lot less attractive, since it cripples my ability to use spell combat until essentially mid-levels.

Regarding Crane Wing: I might be wrong, but technically you can. You need to fight defensively while having one hand free. Since Fighting Defensively is more akin to status (lats untill the start of your next turn, like combat expertise), technically you can attack holding weapon in two hands, and then take one hand off your weapon. You still should have the status "fighting denefsively", and now that you have 1hand free, you also get +4 AC bonus.

I was thinking about getting weapon finess and slashing grace, but I don't think it will make real difference.
    Right now I'm starting with following stats:
    STR 18
    DEX 15 (16 at lvl 4)
    CON 12
    INT 10
    WIS 7
    CHA 16

With weapon finess I'd dump STR and start with 20 DEX. That would give me +3 AC right off the bat. That's good, if we're looking at the melee sorc build, that makes DD way less interesting option, since you don't really need STR bonus now. You still get additiona AC, but I can't help but feel that there are better otpion.
    If we're considering magus, I'd have to get non-cha subsclass, since Eldritch Scion subclass really looks like it shoots itself in the leg, which means it will be a bit more difficult to stack AC.

Going Monk 1, Sorc 4, and DD 4 gives you +4 to STR, and +3 to AC
    Which is effectively 23 STR at lvl 8 instead of 22(21, if starting with 19 to get more points into other stats) DEX. Which is essentialy pretty much the same AC, and same AB. DEX build will get more AC in the end, but is it really worth it? If I got everything right, with only my own buffs I should have 19AC at LvL 1(Base 16 (+2DEX, +3 CHA, +1 dodge, Fighting defensively +3).
    30 AC at lvl 4 (fighting defensively will get you +4 at lvl 3 due to acrobatics, DEX will give you +3 at lvl 4, sorc will give you +1 nat armor. Shield + mage armor will give you a whooping +8 bonus).
    At lvl 9th it should have 36 AC against melee, and 32 against everything else (due to DD nat armor bonus and crane wing). Haste can give you another +1 Dodge to ac, and mirror image gives you solid defence against crits.

Again I haven't played PF1e tabletop (mostly played 5e) so I'm not really sure how much AC a tank should have, but 36AC without magic items or other player's buffs doesn't seems that bad.

Another problem with DEX, is that my bite attack would become completely useless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aletios View Post
    Eldritch scion seems cool on a first sight, but the fact that I'll need to spend 2 point of arcane pool just to be able cast in combat for 2 round untill level 6
    One point per two rounds, and note that this also gives you a number of buffs for free (depending on bloodline). It's better than it sounds, unless your campaign has way more combats per day than normal.

I was thinking about getting weapon finess and slashing grace, but I don't think it will make real difference.
    Oh, it does. First, Slashing Grace also requires a free hand. Second, if you're not going finesse, you should boost your strength at level 4 and 8.

that makes DD way less interesting option,
    If your conclusion is that DD is actually not very good, then you are correct.

30 AC at lvl 4 (fighting defensively will get you +4 at lvl 3 due to acrobatics, DEX will give you +3 at lvl 4, sorc will give you +1 nat armor. Shield + mage armor will give you a whooping +8 bonus).
    At lvl 9th it should have 36 AC against melee, and 32 against everything else (due to DD nat armor bonus and crane wing). Haste can give you another +1 Dodge to ac, and mirror image gives you solid defence against crits.
    Bear in mind that as a DD, this requires two rounds of buffing (Shield + Mirror Image) before you can attack anyone; whereas as a Magus, it requires zero rounds of buffing before you can attack anyone.

36AC without magic items or other player's buffs doesn't seems that bad.
    My experience is that most characters will have AC 22-25 at level twelve and that this is fine.
    I'd say that you're way overinvested in defense, and that you should be looking more into mobility and damage output.

Another problem with DEX, is that my bite attack would become completely useless.
    You cannot use a bite attack when flurrying.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don’t think DD is as bad as Kurald suggests. Magus is good, but if you plan to go to 20 and want those high level spells, DD can get you there.

Feat recommendations: favored prestige class and prestigious spellcaster. Personally I would stick with DD and take prestigious spellcaster two more times. Losing 3 levels of sorcerer advancement is pretty awful. But monk 1/sorcerer 4/DD 10 casting as a 14th level sorcerer has a lot to be said for it. Like being 2 spell levels ahead of magus, moving towards 3 at 19-20. If you aren’t aiming to maximize sorcerer and turn into a dragon, Kurald is correct, magus does sword swinging better.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-10-19 at 10:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    I don’t think DD is as bad as Kurald suggests. Magus is good, but if you plan to go to 20 and want those high level spells, DD can get you there.
    If you go to 20 and want those high level spells, not using DD will get you there faster

I mean, if you're aiming to maximize sorcerer, go sorcerer/20, and you'll have (e.g.) fourth-level spells at level 8, instead of level 11. I'd say that makes for a more fun character.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

One point per two rounds, and note that this also gives you a number of buffs for free (depending on bloodline). It's better than it sounds, unless your campaign has way more combats per day than normal.
    True, but you only get the stuff while in blood rage. While being DD/sorc let's you get the benefits all the time. Plus, I'll have to juggle my arcane points between weapon and eldritch pool, which kinda sucks. Again, never played P1e in tabletop and not sure how many combats are there supossed to be, but it does seem limited as hell.

Second, if you're not going finesse, you should boost your strength at level 4 and 8.
    That way I'd have to wait pretty long to even DEX score. Probably long enough to the point where it won't matter anymore

If your conclusion is that DD is actually not very good, then you are correct.
    As more than 4 levels of investments it definitely doesn't worth it. But it still gives you a lot in 4 levels. If you're going for STR build, it gives you essentially 4 ASI, while keeping your spell & bloodline progression, and getting you +2 to AC on top of that. For DEX build it's not that good - true, but for STR it looks really strong.

Bear in mind that as a DD, this requires two rounds of buffing (Shield + Mirror Image) before you can attack anyone; whereas as a Magus, it requires zero rounds of buffing before you can attack anyone.
    Don't you usually buff before combat? Plus, Mirror Image is more a safety net to negate crits. So it takes only 1 round. You still have a point, though.

My experience is that most characters will have AC 22-25 at level twelve and that this is fine.
    I'd say that you're way overinvested in defense, and that you should be looking more into mobility and damage output.
    Isn't that a bit low? I mean, CR12 enemies should have around +17 or +21 to attacks. Which makes even 36AC look not that good. With magic items you probably could get extra 6 point at that level (deflection, nat armor), but still if we're looking at 25ac without magic items, and 31ac with them - 50% chance to get hit looks pretty bad.

And I'm actually looking into mobility and damage. Since I'll have almost full spell progression, I'm thinking about covering some of that stuff with spells.

Btw, how does Arcane strike sounds? And does magical knack works for calculating CL for arcane strike?

You cannot use a bite attack when flurrying.
    Thank you, didn't know that. It makes things a bit easier, since I was torn between bite and Aasimar's SLA. Guess now I don't really have a choice, huh.
    Last edited by Aletios; 2021-10-19 at 11:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Feat recommendations: favored prestige class and prestigious spellcaster. Personally I would stick with DD and take prestigious spellcaster two more times. Losing 3 levels of sorcerer advancement is pretty awful. But monk 1/sorcerer 4/DD 10 casting as a 14th level sorcerer has a lot to be said for it. Like being 2 spell levels ahead of magus, moving towards 3 at 19-20. If you aren’t aiming to maximize sorcerer and turn into a dragon, Kurald is correct, magus does sword swinging better.
    Thank you!
    prestigious spellcaster does look pretty good. DD10 is probably overkill, since it doesn't really give you any real benifits after lvl 4(at least, not enough benifits that you wouldn't be able to get from spells otherwise), and going Eldritch Knight you'll get better everything. But Prestigious Spellcaster looks like it can get you access to lvl 9 spells, which is pretty awesome.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going for STR build, it gives you essentially 4 ASI, while keeping your spell & bloodline progression, and getting you +2 to AC on top of that.
    Sure, but there are plenty of ways to get a bonus to hit or to AC that don't require level dips.

The main issue with DD is that if you're a blaster caster, you don't need a strength bonus; and if you're not a blaster caster, then you don't need draconic bloodline. I don't mean that it's bad or anything, but generally speaking actual class features are better than a boost to strength or AC.

Don't you usually buff before combat?
    Yes, but often you don't know exactly when it'll happen. It depends on your GM of course, but in my experience you can't reliably have 1-minute-per-level buffs running before combat. Like, ideally you'd buff before you kick in the dungeon door, but in practice enemies hear that and react to it.

CR12 enemies should have around +17 or +21 to attacks.
    They do. But the goal is not to be unharmed; the goal is to win. You can deal with that with Stoneskin, or debuffs, or combat healing, killing the enemy quickly, or other tactics. And it turns out that in practice (using printed Paizo adventures, or GMs taking their cue from that), AC 25 at level 12 is totally fine.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

From experience, the utility (and occasional brokenness) of Spell Combat is easy to overlook but amazing in play. The biggest challenge with a gish is usually deciding when to cast and when to attack (and keeping both equally viable) because you can’t do both in one round. With a Magus you can, and your decision every round is just which spell to cast before/after you attack. It’s honestly amazing and I wouldn’t want to play a gish without it again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Sure, but there are plenty of ways to get a bonus to hit or to AC that don't require level dips.

The main issue with DD is that if you're a blaster caster, you don't need a strength bonus; and if you're not a blaster caster, then you don't need draconic bloodline. I don't mean that it's bad or anything, but generally speaking actual class features are better than a boost to strength or AC.
    If I'm aiming to play a tank with good magic versatility, what would you suggest? A magus?

Plus, you don't actually loose anything on going DD aside from 1 CL.

I also did a bit of calculations:
    A DEX magus would get 24 DEX by lvl 16. Melee socr could get 26 STR.
    Magus would start more strongly on AC side, but at lvl 6 everything will even out. Plus, Sorc will have nat armor bonuses all the time, not only while he's in "rage".
    Looking at saves, it's pretty clear that Magus would have way better saves, so there's that.
    Magus gets only lvl 6 spells, while on the other hand, sorc can get to lvl 8 spells without any extra feats. Lvl 9 spells if adding prestige class and caster feats.
    Damage-wise, I'm actually not sure. Didn't go into spells and spell combat yet, but it looks like if I'll go with Magus/scion, I won't be able to use most of metamagic feats because I'll have to cast for full round. I guess magus would win, since he will have an extra attack and a spell dmg to boot.

Anything I missed, or should take into considiration?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    From experience, the utility (and occasional brokenness) of Spell Combat is easy to overlook but amazing in play. The biggest challenge with a gish is usually deciding when to cast and when to attack (and keeping both equally viable) because you can’t do both in one round. With a Magus you can, and your decision every round is just which spell to cast before/after you attack. It’s honestly amazing and I wouldn’t want to play a gish without it again.
    That sounds pretty cool, but how good magus spell list actually is for out-of-combat situations?
    Last edited by Aletios; 2021-10-19 at 02:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Anything I missed, or should take into considiration?
    One thing: Magus can get 15-20 crit range on all his touch spells. Can you say "ouch"?

That sounds pretty cool, but how good magus spell list actually is for out-of-combat situations?
    For utility it's the second-best list in the game, after the wizard list. It's got the Silent Image line, Mount, almost every Polymorph spell, True Skill, Invis, Dispel, Wall spells, Dimdoor, Teleport, Assumed Likeness, Fly, Overland Flight, True Seeing; even a spell that temporarily gives you the feat of your choice. Basically all the classics are there, and you can use Spell Blending to pick up your favorite wizard spell that isn't on the list.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you go to 20 and want those high level spells, not using DD will get you there faster

I mean, if you're aiming to maximize sorcerer, go sorcerer/20, and you'll have (e.g.) fourth-level spells at level 8, instead of level 11. I'd say that makes for a more fun character.
    If you are using prestigious spellcaster, you eliminate the levels without caster progression. So the only level you lose is your monk level at level 1.

Thank you!
    prestigious spellcaster does look pretty good. DD10 is probably overkill, since it doesn't really give you any real benifits after lvl 4(at least, not enough benifits that you wouldn't be able to get from spells otherwise), and going Eldritch Knight you'll get better everything. But Prestigious Spellcaster looks like it can get you access to lvl 9 spells, which is pretty awesome.
    Eldrich Knight is another lost caster level. That’s pretty huge. And you can’t fix it with prestigious spellcaster unless you want to take favored prestige class again. Never lose any caster level you don’t absolutely have to. You lose 1 for monk, and effectively another because of sorcerer delayed progression.

Comparing DD 5-10 versus eldrich knight 1-6.
    DD costs you 2 feats, for prestigious spellcaster at 5(ECL9) and 9 (ECL 15)
    You get 20 extra HP. (Better HD and bonus for +2 con)
    2 bonus feats
    +4/+2/+3 saves (includes bonus for +2 con)
    3 extra spells known from advancing Draconic bloodline (Fear, spell resistance, form of the dragon 1)
    15 extra skill points (from Int+2)
    1d6 energy damage to bite
    +1 NA
    Permanent blindsense 60
    Free dragon form 2/day
    Energy resist 10 and 4 more NA (bloodline powers from Draconic bloodline at 9 and 15)
    An extra use of breath weapon
    Permanent 90 flight as an SU

Eldrich Knight 1-6 costs you the same 2 feats for prestigious spellcaster and favored PRC OR a caster level and 6 additional skill points
    2 bonus feats
    +3/+2/+2 saves (3 points worse)
    2 extra BAB

That looks strictly worse to me

One thing: Magus can get 15-20 crit range on all his touch spells. Can you say "ouch"?
    But you still give up a huge chunk of casting to get there.
    A magus 15 has 27 spells per day. 9 of level 4-5
    A Sorcerer/Monk/DD 10 with prestigious spellcaster gets 45 spells per day. 24 are level 4-7. Any round the magus can realistically cast a first or second level touch spell and attack, the DD can throw out a level 4+ spell. And that doesn’t count the utility of permaflight, blindsense, etc or the 30 minutes a day you are a large dragon..

If you want to spend a lot of time swinging a sword, Magus has better DPR and action economy. If you want more and crunchier spells, DD/Sorcerer wins.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-10-19 at 03:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

The Magus list is a more limited and combat-focused than the Wizard list, but there’s some multi-purpose illusion/polymorph stuff. Depending on what your out of combat needs are you might be okay. You can also get spells from the Wizard list with Magus arcana if there’s something specific you need.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Eldrich Knight is another lost caster level. That’s pretty huge. And you can’t fix it with prestigious spellcaster unless you want to take favored prestige class again.
    You can't take Favored Prestige Class twice.

Personally I would stick with DD and take prestigious spellcaster two more times.
    And the second time you take Prestigious Spellcaster, it only gives you +1 caster level; not +1 level of spellcasting. It's still a good feat, but personally I'd take pure sorc over sorc-with-DD-with-PS.

A magus 15 has 27 spells per day. 9 of level 4-5
    Since this campaign starts at level 1, it would be more realistic to make a comparison at level 5 or maybe level 10 (and also, to add Spell Recall to the equation). If the sorcerer wins at a level past where the campaign ends, well, that'd be true but not useful.

(Magus 5 has up to ~13 spells per day if using Spell Recall, M1/sorc 4 has about 11)
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2021-10-19 at 03:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

You can't take Favored Prestige Class twice
    Maybe not. It’s bad anyway

And the second time you take Prestigious Spellcaster, it only gives you +1 caster level; not +1 level of spellcasting. It's still a good feat, but personally I'd take pure sorc over sorc-with-DD-with-PS.)
    This is RAW vs RAI. Dev James Jacobs clarified it’s supposed to always provide spellcasting levels.

Since this campaign starts at level 1, it would be more realistic to make a comparison at level 5 or maybe level 10 (and also, to add Spell Recall to the equation). If the sorcerer wins at a level past where the campaign ends, well, that'd be true but not useful.

(Magus 5 has up to ~13 spells per day if using Spell Recall, M1/sorc 4 has about 11)
    Op clarified 1-20. It would be equally realistic to show the difference between a dragon with 9th level spells and a magus with 6ths
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-10-19 at 03:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Op clarified 1-20.
    Shockingly, many campaigns that are intended to go to level 20 never actually get there, or anywhere near there

That is why, for a game starting at level 1, high-level comparisons aren't very useful.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Regarding DD. If all Paizo is allowed, just go for Esoteric/Eclectic training. I’d rather go paladin 2/dragon disciple 1/sor17 if I am doing that. Maybe toss in stargazer 10 if you want a higher bab.

23. - Top - End - #23

The Sorc ends up more powerful, no questions asked.

But I'd second the Magus suggestion, especially starting at lv 1. It's incredibly fun to play, plenty powerful and works perfectly well nearly out of the gate.

Plenty of good archetypes, too.

Also, something like AC 30 by lv 4 should probably be mentioned to the GM. That's way, way outside the curve. A fullplate-and-towershield fighter is looking at, what, 23-24?

Better find out now if he is cool with it.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2021-10-19 at 09:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

And the second time you take Prestigious Spellcaster, it only gives you +1 caster level; not +1 level of spellcasting.
    Actually, the lead dev confirmed that it is intended to give +1 spellcasting every time taken, not just the first time.

@OP: Magus is more straightforward and has a higher floor, but Monk/Sorc/DD has a higher ceiling. There is no wrong answer if you build correctly.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-10-20 at 02:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    @OP: Magus is more straightforward and has a higher floor, but Monk/Sorc/DD has a higher ceiling. There is no wrong answer if you build correctly.
    Monk/Sorc/DD has a high ceiling, but a lot of that is just because it’ll have high level spells. Which is great, as far as it goes. But if you have 8th or 9th level spells, casting one of them will generally be a better use of your time than hitting things with a sword. So in combat you’ll rarely feel like wading into melee like you want to is really the best move.

Whether that’s a problem is entirely up to you. If you’re the type of person who likes to optimize tactics, you may find yourself playing more as a caster who could theoretically go into melee but rarely getting to do it in practice. But there’s nothing forcing you to use optimal tactics, so whether that’s a problem is a matter of personality more than anything. You can also pick a lot of self-only buffs as spells known so that you need to go into melee to get use out of your casting. But personally it would be hard for me to go into melee rather than casting a spell that could turn the tide of the whole fight.

The thing that makes a Magus so fun is that the mechanics align perfectly with what most people really want to do. You cast spells while hitting things with a sword. You don’t have to pick, so there’s never a conflict between optimal and fun. Want to buff yourself or your party? Go for it, and then make a full attack too instead of waiting a round. Fighting one opponent, but feeling like a maximized fireball on some mooks would free up the Barbarian to charge the BBEG? No problem, drop the fireball then finish off the guy in front of you. With most gishes, every round you’re casting a spell, no matter how useful that spell is, is a round you’re not in melee. With a Magus you don’t have that problem.

Around mid levels, you can definitely start to feel like you’re falling behind in both raw casting power and raw combat power. But using your class features wisely gives a big boost in practice. You won’t hit as often as a full-BAB class - unless you use arcane accuracy. Second-level spells don’t seem great when a full caster is getting 4ths - but a scorching ray to the face followed by a full attack stays relevant for a long time. You can’t deal the same damage as a raging Barbarian - but adding Flaming/Frost/Shock to your weapon closes the gap, and channeling a shocking grasp or frostbite on top of that means you might come out on top some rounds.

The bottom line with a Magus is that you’ll never have the highest level spells or the best base to-hit or damage bonuses. But you have lots of tools to get the most out of what you do have, and you break the action economy just by existing. And balancing casting, combat, and judicious use of arcana and pool points is just really satisfying if you like the tactical combat side of the game.

One downside is that a Magus can eat up a lot of table time and hog the spotlight a bit because it feels almost like you take two turns. “I use a swift action to make my sword +4. And I cast glitterdust - the ogres need to save or be blinded. Oh, and I full attack the one in front of me. With an extra attack because I used hasted assault last turn.” It’s a lot of fun, but the players who can only cast a spell or attack on their turn might not be amused (though they’ll usually appreciate the blinded ogres). And the DM may start to roll his eyes at your never-ending turn. It’s the type of character that can feel broken pretty easily at a lower-powered table.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    Monk/Sorc/DD has a high ceiling, but a lot of that is just because it’ll have high level spells. Which is great, as far as it goes. But if you have 8th or 9th level spells, casting one of them will generally be a better use of your time than hitting things with a sword. So in combat you’ll rarely feel like wading into melee like you want to is really the best move.

Whether that’s a problem is entirely up to you. If you’re the type of person who likes to optimize tactics, you may find yourself playing more as a caster who could theoretically go into melee but rarely getting to do it in practice. But there’s nothing forcing you to use optimal tactics, so whether that’s a problem is a matter of personality more than anything. You can also pick a lot of self-only buffs as spells known so that you need to go into melee to get use out of your casting. But personally it would be hard for me to go into melee rather than casting a spell that could turn the tide of the whole fight.
    I fail to see how things like Shapechange/FotD3, Spellbane, (Communal) Mind Blank or Foresight can't "turn the tide of a whole fight" And they work very well as "cast and wade into melee" buffs.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I fail to see how things like Shapechange/FotD3, Spellbane, (Communal) Mind Blank or Foresight can't "turn the tide of a whole fight" And they work very well as "cast and wade into melee" buffs.
    Or for that matter, you can just rely on the 10 levels of D12 hp and extra con and significant NA to just be less squishy when you cast the 9th level spells. The ability to play a little more aggressively while you sling good spells isn’t nothing.

Or, if you are really concerned with action economy and melee, the existence of high level slots let’s you do things like (quickened fireball, then full attack as a huge dragon) or even (Quickened fireball, planar bound lillend casts haste and maintains bardsong, then full attack as a huge dragon and a squad of giant skeletons). Magus is good at action economy, but full casters can play that game very effectively as well.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-10-20 at 11:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Or, if you are really concerned with action economy and melee, the existence of high level slots let’s you do things like (quickened fireball, then full attack as a huge dragon) or even (Quickened fireball, planar bound lillend casts haste and maintains bardsong, then full attack as a huge dragon and a squad of giant skeletons). Magus is good at action economy, but full casters can play that game very effectively as well.
    Sure. The important difference is that a Magus does that from level one and a full caster does that at level sixteen. You're comparing 7th- and 8th-level spells to a 1st-level class feature.

29. - Top - End - #29

Sure. The important difference is that a Magus does that from level one and a full caster does that at level sixteen. You're comparing 7th- and 8th-level spells to a 1st-level class feature.
    Yes yes, we get it, you love Magus. But ignoring all the benefits other builds can get you in a campaign that is explicitly going to 20 (and 7th-9th spells are a big benefit) is missing the forest for the trees.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

And it depends on which caster trick we’re using but certainly not 16. Assuming one level lost for monk, minionmancy really comes online at 9 and quicken spell at 11. A sorcerer/DD 11 has 27 spells level 1-4 compared to the magus 17, with most of that difference in third and 4th level slots, so could easily use all 4 of their 5th level spells as quickens, burn half a dozen on mid/long duration buffs like heroism and greater magic weapon, and still have more and higher level spells for use in combat or utility. Comparison not including the benefits of permanent blindsense or the breath weapon.