New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Post a Picture of the Last Game with Miniatures you Played!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Long overdue thread tax:

Played a game of WarpStrike (see my sig) with my buddy.
    Glad you could add to the fun! Looks pretty cool to me.

We have continued to play the Ionian Revolt using Men of Bronze/Poseidon's Warriors. Today, was the Persians trying to win back cities in the Propontis and Hellespont region.

Ionian troops deploy to defend their crops.

You can read all about it on the Blood and Spectacles blog, if you are so inclined.

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...re-taking.html
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #62

AssassinGuy

Some NOT Warhammer 40K:

This was a game called Restless Suns that is a model-vs-model skirmish game. This one was part of our ongoing Operation: Hemlock campaign.

Here PDF troops are trying to re-take some ocean bound Drill Rigs from Ork raiders in the Approaches to the Islands.

You can read all about it on the Blood and Spectacles Blog:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...n-raid-on.html
    *This Space Available*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Got another game of WarpStrike in. This time at my place, so the blips were tyranids instead of necrons. Tyranids generally go down easier than necrons, even if there do tend to be more of them. And boy, were there! We rolled a scenario where I got to choose a quarter of the table and set up anywhere there I wanted, then my opponent would set up in the opposite quarter. I foolishly put my Celestian and Sis. Superior near the center of the board, and my opponent countered with his Snakebite Nob on a Warboar, his Ogryn, and his Painboy (for fixing up anyone I might manage to hurt). Assuming he got first turn, I would probably be mobbed and taken down. Assuming I got first turn, I might delay that by a turn or so. But then we placed the tyranid blips. Turns out we were both approaching a nest of them: Four gargoyles, six hormagaunts, a ripper swarm, and a genestealer popped up right between us, while another 'stealer attacked his Deathskull with a heavy bolter.

Like the last game, the 'blips' won, although in this case, I made out much better than my friend did, with just my hospitalier going down to a gargoyle's flame spurt, while my buddy lost 2/3rds of his warband. Two of them died (including his warboss), but luckily he didn't lose any gear other than his boss's flamer. Even the warboars survived!

Spoiler: Anyway, here are the pics!
    Show

Sisters Vermillion deployment (the part of the Sisters of Battle will be played by Panthers Space Marines[/genie voice]):

And with a couple blips placed after deployment:

Orcs deployment (plague grenade marker on the top level marks the center of the table, and blips deploy 1d20 inches in a random direction from that. Although after this, we decided to use a d30 instead of d20 for that). You can just make out a couple of sisters in the background to the left and two more just right of center:

Tyranids explode out of hiding:

Taken from my phone during play, so they are not terribly in focus.

While taking down the terrain after the rout, I counted the ramps/walkways I'd used: 22.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-07-27 at 05:50 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #64

AssassinGuy

Yeah! Nice multi-level terrain! That always makes a game interesting as it takes on three-dimensions.

For me, we continued our Ionian Revolt adventure with the battle of Padasus.

All the minis are from Victrix. If it is your thing, you can read the full report on my Blood and Spectacles blog here: http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...battle-of.html
    *This Space Available*

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    Yeah! Nice multi-level terrain! That always makes a game interesting as it takes on three-dimensions.
    Thanks! One of the rules from Mordheim was that any model falling more than 12 inches automatically went Out of Action. So I said to myself "what's the point of a rule like that if you have no terrain that's 12" or taller?" Ever since, I've tried to make certain I have at least one piece of terrain on the table that's 12+ inches tall.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

I actually played a demo game of Warlord Games Black Seas

The hosts ships were beautiful, but I was not going to paint, base, and rig the ships for myself. I am too lazy for that.

If interested, I have some more pictures and thoughts on Black Seas at the bottom of the blog post:

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....naval-and.html
    *This Space Available*

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a shot from our last D&D session:

Our DM didn't bring his minis, so we made do.
    The two black webkinz represent displacer beasts, each with a metric crap-ton of hit points. The "Leaf" pokemon represents a 'storm-touched' displacer beast that can dimension door every round and has a plethora of other lightning-themed powers. We never found out how many hp this monster had, since I stunned him for three rounds with an Id Insinuation (paralyze him with anger), and the DM decided we could pretty easily cut him down in that time. Before that, I'd turned him against his packmates with the same power, and he zapped a pair of cubs the DM had thought we might want to tame. Ah, well.

Also got another game of Warpstrike in. Back on the Necron Tomb World, we woke a couple scarab swarms and a Flayed One. I killed the swarms and my opponent's Boar Boyz convered on the flayed-one, taking him down. (Dangit! Again I forgot about Necron Repair Protocols!)
    My Retributor with a heavy bolter and his Ogryn got in a bit of an overwatch-standoff around a circular tank for a bit, until I could bring my Celestian with a meltagun over. She stepped out from behind the tank about 10 inches away from the ogryn, inviting 2 sus-fire dice-worth of shots from the ripper gun, but ripper guns are -2 to hit beyond 6 inches, and with the added -1 for emerging from cover, his shots missed. My celestian turned, fired her meltagun at him, and only then remembered to aim (Nat 1 to hit).

On the other side of the board, my opponent's Snakebite Boar Boyz and Storm Boy advanced up the field, careful to stay out of sight of my bolter-equipped sisters. He very carefully had his rear boy avoid my Retributor with a heavy flamer, but forgot to keep his lead boar out of her range, and that one was properly fried as he was approaching a ramp up.

A Necron Warrior popped up at that point, and again, my melta-equipped sister rolled a 'one' to hit. I can only cite unfamiliarity with the melta weapons, as this was their first time using them. After surviving the return shot (heavy cover helps), she moved away, luring the Necron to attack my opponent's mob boss (jumped up Storm Boy after his Snakebite Nob died last game). She was more accurate with a later shot against a dismounted Boar Boy (who had taken down my heavy-flamer-equipped retributor), which dropped my opponent to less than 75% effectives remaining, allowing him to bug out without further casualties (considering what he lost to the tyranids in our previous fight, this was high on his list of objectives).

At least this time, one of the warbands won instead of the blips!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-08-18 at 05:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

AssassinGuy

Good ol' Flamer template!
    Last edited by Easy e; 2023-08-17 at 09:42 AM.
    *This Space Available*

9. - Top - End - #69

AssassinGuy

Castles of the Sky game. The rules are from Osprey and the miniatures and from the Brigade Imperial Skies range.

If you are inclined, you can read the full battle report on the Blood and Spectacles blog here:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...paign-vii.html
    *This Space Available*

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Those games look like a lot of fun, Easy E!

I played another game of WarpStrike over the weekend. My place, so tyranid blips instead of necrons. My Celestian and Sis Superior left their meltaguns at home in favor of a full-melee load-out and a flamer respectively.

Most of the blips started out on my side of the board, and I quickly dispatched a pair of gargoyles and three of four termagants. The single blip on my buddy’s side of the board was a trio of hormagaunts, which took out his Boss (but the ogryn and stormboy in close proximity held steady).

The fourth termagant fled when its three buddies were gunned down, and was promptly charged by a Snakebite ork on a warboar out for his first combat op. A new tyranid blip popped up nearby, revealing a genestealer that charged the poor snakebite, but the snakebite bravely stood his ground. The genestealer apparently tripped on approach (rolled three fumbles), and the lowly ork took the mighty genestealer down in close combat. My buddy was pretty resigned to losing half his warband to that genestealer when it first appeared, and we both laughed when his new Boy took it down.

From the ‘safety’ of an elevated position, one of my sisters peeked down at a blip, revealing 4 spike rifle-equipped termigants. Their spikes failed to penetrate her armor, but knocked her off balance enough that she fell 16 meters (8 inches) to the ground, where she nearly passed out. They then fired at my heavy-bolter-equipped Retributor, knocking her off balance as well, but her Grav Chute kept her from any damage.

Another pair of gargoyles popped up, covering the ogryn and remaining stormboy in flames. The ogryn took a wound, but the stormboy went down. With his two highest-leadership orks off the table (and down 25% of his force) he failed his next rout check.

Spoiler: Pics, or it didn't happen!
    Show

Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-11-18 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo

11. - Top - End - #71

AssassinGuy

A nice 3D battlespace!

I have been playing through the Ionian Revolt using Men of Bronze and Poseidon's Warriors. We are at the climactic battle of Lade, a Naval engagement. The ships are all 3D printed.

You can read the details here:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...rs-battle.html
    *This Space Available*

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    A nice 3D battlespace!
    Thanks! Your write-up of your naval battle was a fun read. I liked the historical note at the end, too!

Our next game is scheduled for the day of the annular eclipse: Oct 14.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-09-27 at 09:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

AssassinGuy

A miniature wargame with paper templates. A game of Aquanautica Imperialis- Wet Navy 40K homebrew rules.

The Ammoriss Naval PDF tries to destroy Ork coastal air bases during Operation: Hemlock.

My opponent and I quickly find out that we are a little rusty with these rules!

You can read all about the battle and Operation: Hemlock on the Blood and Spectacles blog:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...mperialis.html
    *This Space Available*

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

I played some Men of Bronze where we wrapped up the Ionian Revolt with the siege of Miletus.

You can read the gory details and see all the pictures on the Blood and Spectacles blog.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....ze-before.html
    *This Space Available*

15. - Top - End - #75

AssassinGuy

Played some Kill Team with my oldhammer Harlies......

You can see some more photos as bonus content on the Blood and Spectacles blog here:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....aving-pov.html
    *This Space Available*

16. - Top - End - #76

AssassinGuy

Doing some historical air combat in the Korean War using 6mm planes from Tumbling Dice and the White Star/Red Star rules.

This is June 29th, 1950 at the outbreaks of hostilities.

Details on the blog if you are so inclined:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....-star-cap.html
    *This Space Available*

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

A game of NOT 40K any edition!

We used the Restless Stars rules to fight an engagement in our Operation: Hemlock campaign. Features some papercraft armored cars, old Necromunda models, some 1st and 2nd edition Orks, and Pink Space Marines.

You can see all the photos and read all about it on the blog:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....operation.html
    *This Space Available*

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the papercraft ork dreadnought!

19. - Top - End - #79

AssassinGuy

Some more Kill Team with my Voidborn Corsairs.

I talk about the game at the end of a larger Wargame Design post here:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....d-another.html
    *This Space Available*

20. - Top - End - #80

AssassinGuy

Looking back, I play a lot of different games. Pretty lucky really.

Some more air combat over Korea this week, as we play a game set on Black Thursday, November 21st, 1950.

A dice indicates high altitude, a stand is combat altitude, and no stand is low altitude for flying.

You can see more pictures, read some history, and get a full accounting of the game on the Blog here is you are so inclined:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....rred-star.html
    Last edited by Easy e; 2023-11-20 at 01:35 PM.
    *This Space Available*

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Got in another game of Warpstrike. We played Defend the Find, where the smallest team discovers a building rich in warpstone, and the larger team needs to come in and take it away. My team of 8 Sisters of Battle discovered an old thickener tank that managed to collect quite a few shards of the valuable material:

As the orks moved in, a handful of Necrons emerged. The first few were easily dispatched by my team, while a single pariah held up a third of the ork warband. But the necrons just kept coming, and eventually, the Sisters Vermillion found themselves forced to retreat from the area. But not before inflicting some serious casualties on the orks.
    I took out three of my opponent's troops with a combination of a heavy flamer operator who knew how to wield it as a maul (she flamed a Deathskull with a heavy bolter, then clubbed down the painboy who thought she'd be easy pickings) and a spear-armed sister who fended off an ogryn and killed his Bad Moon flanker before the Celestian called a retreat.

I'd had my Hospitallier taken out by a shot from a Pariah (she was knocked off balance and fell 6 meters to the ground), and a wraith took down my heavy bolter-equipped sister and her back-up, then wore down another sister in melee over a few turns. It phased out to avoid a meltagun shot from my Sister Superior, who then held it off for a few more turns in melee.
    Here's the pariah that occupied three snakebites on warboars and an ogryn for probably 5-6 turns before finally succumbing to a hail of fire from the ogryn's ripper gun.

After I decided to rout, we rolled some dice just to see what would have happened if I'd stayed one more turn. I rolled low enough on my rout check to stay in the game, and my opponent rolled a 5 and 6 for a total of 11, which would cause him to rout! Ah, well. All my sisters survived, none of them became Repentia, and only one of them has to miss the next battle. And while I didn't get any warpstone out of the ruins, I killed enough necrons that the bounties on them probably made up for it.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-12-08 at 11:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

AssassinGuy

Sounds like fun! I have been contemplating picking up a Sisters of Battle squad for Kill Team.

I managed to wrap-up the Indo-China campaign for Castles in the Sky. French vs. British in a custom scenario suitable for the "final battle" of the campaign.

You can read all the gory details if you are so inclined on the Blood and Spectacles blog here:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....-campaign.html
    *This Space Available*

23. - Top - End - #83

AssassinGuy

I continue to play air wargames1

This time we are back in skies over Korea. This time it is April 12th, 1951. This was known as "Black Thursday" to the USAF and led to the suspension of daylight bombing over North Korea for a period. Miniatures are 1/600 from Tumbling Dice and the rules are White Star/Red Star.

You can read all about it, if you are so inclined; on the Blood and Spectacles blog here:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....tar-april.html
    *This Space Available*

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

My cat is helping me set up the table for my game tomorrow:

25. - Top - End - #85

AssassinGuy

A fine looking feline helper!

I have been playing a lot of Kill Team. Partially because that is what local players are playing, and also because in our club time we can get a game set-up, played, and completed in a timely manner.

Here are my Corsairs battling some Black Legionnaires and some Grey Knights....

I think I got trounced in this one.

You can see some details at the bottom of the blog here. I start talking about some esoteric design stuff before getting onto the Kill Team bonus content:

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....st-get-so.html
    *This Space Available*

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

That was a pretty cool read! Thanks for sharing that. Exhaustion in wargaming is an intriguing idea, but I haven't seen it modeled as separate from Morale. Admittedly, my fantasy/historic wargaming XP is pretty much limited to BattleSystem 2E and Warhammer Fantasy Battle - whichever edition was being used around the turn of the century (I built a LEGO Empire army - it was a bit out of scale with the regular minis, but my opponents typically didn't care, since it reduced the number of figures I could get into contact with their troops. Four of my guys lined up with 5-6 of theirs, giving them an advantage. I did alright, as I remember - seems like my win/loss ratio was about 1).

Here's a shot from my most recent WarpStrike game:

This time we played an Occupy mission, where the game was to control more of the central buildings than your opponent after 8 turns. The clear crystals on top of some of the buildings indicate those are the ones we care about (The dice tower in the top left was not one of them). We also have a rule that models within 2 inches of an ammo crate gain a +1 to their ammo checks, and the oil barrels can be shot to explode like a flamer with a 2" radius (S4, -2 save mod, catch fire on a 4+).

Despite having three Boarboyz and an ogryn geared up for melee, my opponent seems reluctant to enter close combat with them, and it cost him. At the end of Turn 8, I controlled two of six buildings, three were contested, and the last one contained only a genestealer.

One of the fun things about the 'neutral' tyranids/necrons is that you can occasionally lure them toward your opponent. Once revealed, they will take the most direct route to engage the closest model. Sometimes that means moving closer to your opponent in an effort to get closer to your model. I managed to lure the genestealer toward my opponent's forces that way, by having a model on an elevated walkway move closer to the ground-level genestealer.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-12-22 at 10:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

More Warpstrike, this time with random necrons. We rolled the Tyranid Hunt scenario, which meant Even MoreTM Necron blips (I think we had better than ten of them over the course of the fight). Turns out that when you enforce the ‘Auto Repair’ rule, necrons become exceedingly annoying to permanently put down. Scarab swarms go down easily enough, and Wraiths as well if you hit them hard enough. But the necron tendency to turn off your power weapons makes it really hard to hit them hard enough. And Immortals are exceedingly difficult to put down in melee, even though they don’t have an exceptional weapon skill and only one attack. Toughness 6 makes them really hard to wound, and a 1+ armor save makes it hard to make the wound stick. It can even ignore a meltagun 1/3[s]rd[/sup] of the time.

My opponent finally decided to charge his boar boyz at an immortal, and discovered that, even though you win the combat, it can still be really hard to take them out. He repeatedly scored multiple hits, but failed to wound or penetrate the necron’s armor. This particular immortal had a Lightning Field, which inflicts a Strength 3 hit back on anyone who lands a hit on it. S3 might not sound like much, but it can still wound up to T6 models, which even included my buddy’s Ogryn, “Chip”. So even though it only won maybe 1 round of melee combat, it still took down 3 models with that Lightning Field. Chip finally managed to put it down near the end of the game.

My three meltaguns (and a heavy bolter and a heavy flamer) helped me take down the necrons on my side of the board (I had one sister go out of action and several more go down, but my hospitallier made it into base contact and got them back on their feet), and I took down a couple orks as I crossed to his side, while he spent too many rounds working on the immortal and a pair of warriors that emerged on his side of the board. Eventually he failed a rout check and the game was mine.

Here's a look at the board from the Ork side of the table: (also, an in-game image of the liquid storage tanks I promised in the "What are you painting" thread - though not a great one)

Sisters and Necrons playing Whack-a-Mole with each other:

The Immortal that took down a third of the ork warband:
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2024-01-24 at 10:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

AssassinGuy

My first wargaming of 2024 was the start of a Kill Team narrative campaign.

The Hand of the Archon takes on some Vet Guardsmen during the Siege Perilous around Powellington.

My Hand of the Archon were fighting for the forces of Chaos, and brought home the first Chaos victory.

You can read some details about the campaign and prep work on the blog if that is your thing:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....-epilogue.html
    *This Space Available*

29. - Top - End - #89

AssassinGuy

Looting and pillaging in Hibernia using Fury of the Northman.

The Vikings try to loot and pillage from Hibernian Irish territory. The Vikings are from Victrix and the Irish are from Wargames Atlantic.

You can read the details and see more pictures on the blog if you are interested:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....n-looting.html
    *This Space Available*

30. - Top - End - #90

AssassinGuy

A small Chariot Wars battle in 6mm scale between Hittites and Egyptians.

You can see more photos and read all about the battle on the blog if you are so inclined.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....-conflict.html
    Last edited by Easy e; 2024-04-03 at 11:40 AM.
    *This Space Available*