New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help! Ancient Relics from a Fey-Mortal War

I’m working on a list of items (relics, artifacts, weapons, armor, etc.) that would have been used “long, long ago” in a dreadful war between Fey (primarily the ruling Sidhe and Eladrin) and fledgling Human kingdoms (who in my campaign eventually were consumed by their ignorance of High Magic and then snuffed out by the Goblinoids, making them a defining threat in the world). tl;dr Making a list of items used by both sides.

I’m looking for some creative ideas to add to this collection. Please assume most of your ideas will fall into my homebrew, as I’m pretty lax.

Thus far, I have these “Relics of the Broken Promise”:

The Ball - A device crafted by a particularly malevolent boy-prince, this iron cage is spherical in design and is intended to imprison a live victim. There are two handles embedded into the top, and a small cylindrical platform for the feet to precariously perch on; all about the ball are 1’ long iron spikes, all pointing inward. The Prince rolls this cage outside the castle gates and down the Main Street into town, usually as a show of power and to instill greater fear. He calls this “playing ball”, and has enjoyed many games with naive fey dignitaries agitating for sanctuary in his land…

Spiked Iron Collar - Primarily used for subduing a live captured faerie, it keeps them in a poisoned and sickened state until it is removed and the wound is properly healed.

Salted Iron - a mixture akin to sandpaper, this paste was coated on a significant number of weapons and armor during the third attack by the Goblins.

Iron Nets - Obvious purpose (*see Maleficent)

Animated Iron Maiden - Large golems animated with a single purpose: consume fey.

Ash Wood - the chips can be used much like a circle of salt, while the tree itself is toxic if consumed by fey in any form (tea of the root, crushed bark, etc.), and highly lethal. Some carried daggers made of this wood.

Iron handbell - Nauseates and stuns fey within a certain distance. Used for roundups.

Mothballs - A small chalky ball that explodes in a burst of noxious gas and small poisonous moths; they flit about the radius spraying their potent Sleep powder everywhere.

Mossball - A particularly deadly toxin that spreads when this chalky fungal ball breaks against a solid surface; the air becomes thick in this fibrous smoke, entrapping smaller fey in webs of poison.

Salt Bomb - When thrown, a burst of searing hot salt explodes, damaging creatures in range; fey creatures are Vulnerable.

Fairy’s Orb - a device that will guide those who can speak the spirit’s name.

Portable Feyspire - a repurposed Galder’s Tower that, when planted (as a seed), it grows and performs like the spell (with no duration). It must, however, absorb life and nutrients from the surrounding area, or else it will wilt. Works like an Injector, somewhat.

Rusting Gloves - The fey used these in abundance, when one of their Eldest made a pact with an entity of the Plane of Earth. They were granted 1,001 Rust Monsters to force back the invasion, and 25 Deadiron Tree saplings (which served as the material for the gloves).

Rod of Heat Metal - These items were rare, but incredibly powerful; they could topple entire battalions when used by a Trio of spellcasters ritualizing their combined spell slots* (would allow for more than one target, had a radius, etc.)

Fairy’s Hand Mirror - Only three existed, but were capable of building Shadow armies simply by reflecting the image of their enemy back at them.
    Last edited by TheBrassDuke; 2021-10-19 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

PirateWench

Default Re: Help! Ancient Relics from a Fey-Mortal War

Here's an artifact I used in a campaign a while back that might fit the bill (it initially used a homebrew "concordance" system inspired by 4e, but I've translated it to the dormant/awakened/exalted paradigm from EGtW for ease of use with official materials). The flavor is probably a bit off but can be adjusted however you see fit!

Járngreipr
    Wondrous item, artifact (requires attunement)

Járngreipr, the Gauntlet of Kord, is a massive and heavy gauntlet made of thunderbolt iron with a comfortable leather lining on the inside. The holy symbol of Kord, the god of storms and strength, is a single gauntlet with a lightning bolt held in its grasp. Legends say that this is the gauntlet depicted in that image.

Dormant:
    Cold Iron. While you are wearing Járngreipr, you have advantage on melee weapon attacks against Fey creatures. Additionally, you can use Járngreipr to make unarmed strikes. When you do, the damage die of your unarmed strike becomes a d4 (unless it was higher), and you deal an additional 1d4 cold damage on a hit.

Thunderbolt Toss. When you throw a weapon while wearing Járngreipr, you can cause that weapon to turn into a bolt of lightning. The bolt travels in a 5-foot wide, 120-foot long line originating from you. All creatures in that line must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 2d6 lightning damage and 2d6 cold damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful saving throw. Then, the weapon reforms in your hand.

Once you use this property, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again. When this artifact reaches an Awakened state, the saving throw DC increases to 15 and both damage rolls increase by 1d6. When it reaches an Exalted state, the saving throw DC increases to 17 and both damage rolls increase by 1d6 again.

Awakened:
    Might of Kord. Your carrying capacity doubles. You have advantage on Strength checks made to lift or carry heavy objects. When you would be forced to move (such as by being shoved or pulled), you can use your reaction to reduce the distance you are moved by half (rounded up).

Iron Grasp. Your Strength score increases by 2 points while attuned to the gauntlet, to a maximum of 22. You have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made to grapple or shove other creatures. When you successfully grapple or shove a creature, that creature takes cold damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier.

Exalted:
    Brutal Grip. Your Strength score increases by an additional 2 points while attuned to the gauntlet, to a maximum of 24. You can wield weapons with the two-handed property in one hand. Additionally, you can throw any melee weapon, even those without the thrown property. If you throw a weapon that can't normally be thrown, it has a short and long range of 20/60 feet.

Feybane. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects, as well as on any saving throw a Fey creature forces you to make.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Help! Ancient Relics from a Fey-Mortal War

Quote Originally Posted by gloryblaze View Post
    snip
    What a cool item, an old Stormlord I used to play with would have just DIED seeing this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but your words can never hurt me because you're not a wizard."
    -on Item Familiars:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    Of course, binding a portion of your personality to a ring of invisibility always works out great. Just ask Sauron.