New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Waterworld — Beyond the Ulysses Cut?

I recently took a look at the extended edition of Waterworld, which is apparently described as the “Ulysses Cut” in some circles. Despite about 40 minutes of additional footage, it was distinctly underwhelming; most of the additional scenes added virtually nothing, apart from a council meeting early on and a few more scenes on Dryland at the end.

I may have been expecting a little too much from the extended edition; but like the myth of Dryland itself, I keep hoping there’s something more just over the horizon. Are there any other deleted scenes beyond those included in the extended edition? Anything else that could elevate the movie even slightly?

I am aware the movie is gawdawful schlock, so no need to belabor that here. I love it anyway, despite the fact that Jeanne Tripplehorn is the only person actually doing any acting in it. But it could have been so much more, and I’d like to know if there’s another level of Waterworld beyond the so-called Ulysses Cut.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Waterworld — Beyond the Ulysses Cut?

Haven't heard of any other deleted scenes outside the Ulysses Cut. not saying they don't exist, but haven't heard of any.

Biggest problem with the Ulysses cut is the same as with the Snyder cut of JL. It's really just more of the same. If you already enjoyed the movie then you'll probably enjoy the extra. if you didn't, then the extra isn't bringing anything to change your opinion.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I went to a live performance of it in Universal Studios in Singapore some ~10 years ago, which also was gawdawful schlock (I loved it anyway), but I'm guessing you are looking for something more like deleted scenes?
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ereinion View Post
    Well, I went to a live performance of it in Universal Studios in Singapore some ~10 years ago,...
    A live performance? How did they stage that, with all the boats?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

With jetskis, mostly. And apparently the show is taking place after the events of the movie, so I guess it is kind of a sequel?

"In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Biggest problem with the Ulysses cut is the same as with the Snyder cut of JL. It's really just more of the same. If you already enjoyed the movie then you'll probably enjoy the extra. if you didn't, then the extra isn't bringing anything to change your opinion.
    Yeah, the answer to "this thing was mediocre" is not "but what if there was more of it?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Yeah, the answer to "this thing was mediocre" is not "but what if there was more of it?"
    Amusingly, I misread the title as "Waterworld — Beyond the Useless Cut?"...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Amusingly, I misread the title as "Waterworld — Beyond the Useless Cut?"...
    That's a valid description IMHO.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".