New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Paladin subclass with damage reduction aura?

I'm pretty sure it was UA playtest material, but after not being able to find it, I'm wondering if it was a homebrew.

Anyway, I remember seeing a Paladin Oath with a 7th level aura that was damage reduction equal to it's Cha mod. I think it was just from bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, but I can't remember that or what Oath it was. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I've been out of the game since COVID came around.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2021-10-21 at 12:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Question about a possible UA Paladin subclass

I thought it might have been one of my homebrews, specifically a custom oath crafted specifically for a super hero concept. It seems it was never actually a feature, just one I'd considered as a possible replacement for an existing feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    If I did replace this, my other idea is to reduce all damage taken by an amount equal to your CHA mod. Basically, like with the Redemption paladin, we want a feature here that helps keep you alive while you're tanking (Redemption paladin's tank using their aura, we tank by imposing disadvantage on enemies if they don't attack us).
    So probably not what you were thinking of.

Weirdly, I also have a vague recollection of a paladin subclass with a damage reduction aura, but I can't remember where I saw it. I checked all the UA paladin subclasses on 5etools and none of them had anything like that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Judging from the lack of responses, it clearly was not a UA release. Must have been some homebrew that came through. I remember it being a cool idea if not a bit OP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Try changing the thread title to something like "Paladin subclass with damage reduction aura?", as the current thread title is vague and doesn't really tell people skimming the forum what you're looking for. Most people don't click on a thread unless the thread title is intriguing enough to grab their attention.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I believe Treachery is the only paladin oath that hasn't made it from UA to full print so far, so I'm guessing it's a homebrew.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)