New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Help me pick a book!

As part of a "Team Building" Exercise at work, I need to read one of the following books:

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
    Atomic Habits by James Clear
    The Oz Principle by Craig Hickman, Roger Connors, and Tom Smith

Which one would you suggest and why? Which one would you avoid at all costs?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help me pick a book!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    As part of a "Team Building" Exercise at work, I need to read one of the following books:

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
    Atomic Habits by James Clear
    The Oz Principle by Craig Hickman, Roger Connors, and Tom Smith

Which one would you suggest and why? Which one would you avoid at all costs?
    I read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie and thought it was good. Not the best book I have read but it was interesting and after I read it I was part of a discussion group who discussed it. It has some great points in it and if one were looking to improve their own life there is some great advice in it. Given the limited choice I would select it.
    Last edited by dafrca; 2021-10-19 at 11:36 PM.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I've never read any of the three.

I've heard of the first, and it always sounded really pretentious to me, so I'd say skip it. Plus I don't trust "self help" authors on a matter of principle.

Toss up between the other two, I'm a little more curious what "The Oz Principle" actually is over "Atomic Habits".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

So, one vote for How to Win Friends..., and one vote for "anything other than How to Win Friends..."

Anyone want to break the tie? For what it's worth, I strongly suspect all three titles fall well inside the "Self Help" category.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-10-20 at 08:05 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

They all sound kind of obnoxious, but I'll agree that the Oz Principle is the most interesting title.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I only know of the first one through parodies, and wasn't sure it was real for a long time. The second title sounds like it could be about nuns during the cold war. The last one has three authors, so it must be the best.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Of those, I only read How to Win Friends and Influence People. Nothing exceptional, I remember mostly reasonable but basic stuff like "remember people's names" and "show genuine interest in other people", couched in anecdotes and testimonials that seem to be typical for self-help books. If you just want to get it over with, it's a quick and easy read. Since it is from the 30's, I found its old-fashioned style endearing.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Based mostly on Googling and summarizing other people's summaries, so.. apply necessary amounts of salt before accepting, but:

Win Friends, Influence People: A natural extrovert writes a guide on how to pretend to be one.

Atomic Habits: Claims to teach how to reliably unset your bad habits and establish your preferred ones. Could also be titled "How to keep your New Year's Resolutions for more than a week."

The Oz Principle: Something about how everybody has lost their mojo and the way back to Real American Business is to accept 'Personal Responsibility.' Sounds like something that would make me want to punch its authors.

If you're going to be forced to read one, pick the one that seems like it might be useful to you or just least obnoxious. Probably not The Oz Principle.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2021-10-21 at 05:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You're no fun, making a guess just based on the title of three useless books I'll never read was the whole appeal of this thread to me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

The availability (and lack there of) of the various books at my local library means I'm going to be reading How to Win Friends....

Thanks for your insight, thoughts, and advice, everyone!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have access to the NY Times Book review from this last Sunday (Oct 24,2021), they reprinted the original review from 1937 of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett