New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC 6 Player Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Miri

Puzzled by the sudden fight at hand, Miri needed a moment to collect herself. Chanting a short melody, she sent some of her own energy to heal whoever on the front looked worse injured (presumably William), and tried to follow the command of the innkeeper to get lamp oil towards the troll.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Healing Word: (1d4+4)[6]
    @Plaids: Not sure how much I can accomplish with the whole "get lamp oil" tactic in the course of one turn, but I'll try anyway.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Miri while not knowing the allegiances of her fellow combatants in the melee collects herself and directs her magic to William. The cuts and gash on his chest heal turning into a thin seam before disappearing.
    Spoiler: Oil action question.
    Show

Looking at the 5E rules a player characters are allowed to move, attack/cast a spell, do stuff allowed by a bonus action, a reaction action, or flourishes to their actions involving the environment.
    Flourishes such as opening a door then running through into melee and attacking. Another I would allow would be pulling some curtains aside in a dark tavern during the day to blind a light sensitive attacker then charging into melee and swinging a weapon.
    Overall if don't swing with a second weapon as a bonus action I'll allow an environment interaction within reason. So feel free to edit in an environmental flourish.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-10-31 at 08:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

AssassinGuy

Daxien pulls a flask of oil from his pack and throws it into the troll’s back.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

To Hit:(1d20+3)[5]
    Damage:(1d4+3)[5]
    Sneak Attack:(1d6)[2]

4. - Top - End - #34

DruidGuy

Daxien aims the flask at the troll intending to douse the creature in the viscous and highly flammable fluid. A few stray droplets of escaped oil having greased the flask causing Daxien's palm to slide over the flask releasing the flask prematurely.

The flask flies and lands behind the troll leaving an oily puddle surrounding a pile of glass shards.

Feeling the rising dry heat from the growing fire on the upturned table Durnan repositions himself stepping to the troll's side.

Turning to a tavern server on the second floor Durnan orders to her.
    Get me a a weapon Calida. Intending to down the creature before it could reconstitute itself.
    The server drops a meat tenderizer brushed free from any flesh but still speckled with blood on its mallet.

Making do with what he has Durnan swings at the troll aiming at the arm William had had pierced.
    (1d20+4)[7]To hit (1d4+4)[5] Damage
    The first swing instead catches the trolls chest bruising the flesh and angering it. The second finds the trolls shoulder further cracking the bone leaving further exposing the remaining muscles and tendons connecting the arm to body.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-01 at 08:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

DruidGuy

(1d20+4)[16] To hit (1d4+4)[8] to damage
    (1d20+4)[17] To hit (1d4+4)[8] to damage
    (1d20+4)[7] To hit (1d4+4)[6] to damage

Spoiler: Forgotten actions
    Show
    I forgot how many time Durnan can attack.

6. - Top - End - #36

DruidGuy

The raucous sounds of battle dominated the once mirthful Yawning Portal tavern.
    Blood had been drawn and in this case redrawn as the stirges were felled in battle. The troll fought viciously but was felled by Durnan, William, and Tanis wading into melee while Miri, Rasmi, Daxien, and Dyal'vir pelted the creature with spells and oil haphazardly igniting the creature and killing it.

The fire crews arrived promptly stopping the fire after herding onlookers from the scene and dousing the area with sea water.

The group remains in the Yawning Portal as Durnan congratulates the group for standing their ground like his companions in years long past.
    After being paid in forgiven tabs the group is about to disperse before a knocking can be heard at the tavern door long after hours.

In comes a short man wearing a necklace of assorted fangs contrasting with his fine silk shirt and leather boots. He scratches his beard looks frantically like an adolescent being caught in trouble before being pointed towards the group by Durnan.
    He composes and then introduces himself.

Ah so you must be the esteemed group who has helped Durnan keep his head.

Durnan smirks and rolls his eyes acting as if he knew what scheme the man was concocting this time.
    The bearded man adjusts his hat and takes a quick bow one would expect from a stage musician receiving requests from an encore.

Well I am Volo Geddarm, wizard, chronicler, and celebrity at your service. I trust you've noticed the recent violence with our fair streets. I haven't seen so much since my last visit to Baldur's Gate!

Volo stumbles over his words his project grandeur fading as continues.
    Unfortunately I believe I have misplaced a friend amidst this odious violence. His name is Floon Blagmaar and he's got more beauty than brains. I fear he took a bad way home a few nights ago and was kidnapped. If you can find him post haste I can promise you ten dragons each and ten times that amount upon his return. May I prevail upon you in my time of need?

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

So here is Volo asking everyone for aid. Feel free to ask a clarifying questions or use a skill such as insight, investigation, or even acrobatics if you think it will help in your goals.
    Dragons are the gold currency used in Waterdeep.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Tanis looks Volo over. "Any more information, on where he might be?" she asks. "And any way to let him know we come in peace? Some way that he knows we're not just another group of kidnappers."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

BardGuy

When the threat has clearly passed, William goes over to the young woman who healed him.

"Thank you. That was MUCH appreciated."

Later, after Volo says his piece, William goes over to him.

"Please say some more to clarify. When and where does he seem to have disappeared? When and why did you determine this was a kidnapping?"
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-07 at 05:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Miri

To William: "No big! I appreciate you charging the troll." While her tone is a bit tongue-in-cheek, it's clear that she is really thankful for jumping into the breach.
    To all: "Thank you all for standing up, I mean it. Name's Miri, by the way," she introduces herself. "Anybody else hurt?"

---

Regarding Volo: As the wizard asks for their help, Miri's thoughts race. Gold? Check. Enough gold to get through a month? Check! A chance to earn prestige to get more jobs? Check again! ... and a job that somehow falls into her line of work? Thank Tymora, this is a good day!

Hearing that the others are already asking good questions, she waits for the answers to those first.

10. - Top - End - #40

BardGuy

William smiles warmly for a moment, then shrugs and takes a more ironic tone. "Not my usual kind of fight, but a guy's got to expand his horizons now and then. ... I'm called William, by the way. At least, that's the name I've used for a while."
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-07 at 11:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGuy

Upon hearing Tanis's and William's inquiry Volo's exuberance from the lack of resistance or complaints falters. He responds, embarrassed at having to divulge further details on his activities.

Oh well, you see, we were in the Dock Ward, surveying subject at the Skewered Dragon. I retired early bidding Floon a good night. But don't worry about Floon the man is too trusting for his own good. Just tell him Volo sent you and he'll be follow back home.

Spoiler: DC 6 History or 8 Insight automatic success
    Show
    To the adults in the party. The Skewered Dragon is a well known raunchy tavern in the Dock ward avoided by the well to do and patrolled along its borders by law enforcement on the lookout for any criminals who brazenly escape it's gravity.

Volo follows by stroking his beard and eyes the room and the party. Upon seeing an absence of prying eyes and concluding the party to be trustworthy he gives a brief answer.
    I fear Floon may be in danger because of the Skewered Dragons owners being the Zhentarim. I just know I shouldn't have left him but I thought sending them some dragons to their coffer would let me get close.

The name is memorable and chills the room. You know the group means trouble.

Spoiler: What those in law enforcement or investigation know
    Show

You know the Zhentarim and what they are. They are a political machine. While their contractors are tagged for extortion, bribery, intimidation, and murder by the dozen many more elude the law and the leadership are out of reach. They are fueled by payments from shop owners skirting the guilds but paying a Zhentarim fee. The guard have resorted to containment measures and building a sense of security hopeful more witnesses will come.

Spoiler: What those employed in a private business know
    Show
    You know the Zhentarim as the collectors and the price for working outside the guilds. While membership within the guilds of waterdeep is optional for any shopkeeper of a trade the lack of guild fees comes with its own dues. The offer of "protection" from the Zhentarim is strongly recommend to avoid any accidents that would impede your business.

Spoiler: What those who live in poorer areas or conditions know
    Show
    You know the Zhentarim as the local street leadership. While the more independent well to do's chafe at their presence they are well liked by those you live with. When a dock worker frets about not being able to feed his family for the next tendays the Zhentarim are there with a fat turkey. When the orphanage can't afford to warm the children for the winter the Zhentarim are there with buckets of coal. And all they request in return is your voice and your vote.

Having disclosed all he knows and uncomfortable divulging more about the Zhentarim Volo provides everyone with a pouch of ten dragons and bids the party farewell wishing them success in their quest.
    Durnan offers any not wanting to wade through the soupy fog a cot in the depleted basement soon to be filled by a fresh order of ale in the next two days.

You have a lead and an intuition on the whereabouts of Floon but several decisions on how to go about it. Soon the next day arrives.

Spoiler: Setting the scene for the next day.
    Show
    The party has a lead but will need to decide when to investigate. During the day when suspects can hide in crowds but ambushes are harder to come by. Or during the night when more suspicious people are about but the fog of waterdeep obscures people skulking about.

12. - Top - End - #42

As morning comes the first to wake would find Dyalv'ir silently standing guard by the door as he had been when the interview with Volo had gone on. An outline and bright eyes in the dark, having only briefly wandered above when dawn broke to order breakfast for [1 - 6] to be delivered.

The offer of, relatively, simple dragons was appealing, even if it meant Zhentarium attention, but he would wait to see what the erstwhile companions thought in the light of day.

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

Show
    The charitable side of the Zhentarim -- but with a connection to criminal activity -- is almost exactly the kind of thing William has been engaged in and even leading for years. I'm going to assume he has plenty of Zhentarim contacts, albeit low-/street-level and not in the same part of town.

"I can't vouch for the whole organization, but there are plenty of good people in the Zhentarim. I'd be happy to talk with whoever I can find among them and start from there."

William pauses, then continues. "That said, the story is confusing. This guy who calls himself a celebrity went out with somebody he basically calls an idiot, with the goal of doing some non-obvious surveillance? And then he loses track of the dumb guy?

"When we ask around, we should probably all tell the same story, but is that exactly the story we want to tell?"
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-09 at 07:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

DruidGuy

After morning salutations the group proceeds to the Dock Ward. The banked stone streets are traversed by a myriad of pedestrians and carriages weaving amongst one another. As you head south the crowd you bump shoulders with composes of commuters trotting to compensate for oversleeping all while scurrying around carts laden with foreign goods from the docks. While mounted Griffon Guards patrol the skies mounted on their namesake.

The brisk walk affords plenty of opportunities for a quick breakfast from many of the cities licensed vendors. Selections ranging from halfling tarts, a flour crust pie enveloping tart apples subdued generous helpings of butter and honey to dwarven sausages with membranes stressed taut goat meat and dripping grease.

Having the passed the plaza south of the Yawning Portal a pleasant salty breeze encloses the party parting hair and kicking leaves through the streets.

Show
    The group is now in the Dock Ward with several options. You can go directly to the tavern or see what the surroundings have in store. Feel free to split the party if need be. I'm not restrained by time like I would be in an in person session.

Spoiler: Map of the city
    Show

Approaching the Skewered Dragon the group is met with a forlorn site. The street lamps on the street are smashed while the salty sea breeze is now surpassed by the odious scent of garbage littering the street. The black tavern door of the Skewered Dragon is trimmed with gold but is askew forcing it open whilst several patrons slumber behind barrels of refuse still yet to be evicted by the absent Sanitation Guild. You hear overlapping conversation with the occasional clatter of glass upon wood and pacing bootsteps. The hard pounding of wood upon wood can be heard emanating from the tavern.

The other building that stands out amongst the is across the street. A dilapidated shop featuring a plush head with a large reflective cyclopean eye and several eyestalks framing it and ending in smaller sparkling eyes. The wooden sign hanging from the door reads "Old Xoblobs Hut Open All Day Every Day." The purple shop has it's door open while thin strands of smoke waft out while quiet laughter can be heard from the shop.

At the end of the street at the edge of the city block is a procession of men handcuffed and being led by city guards towards a covered wagon pulled by two mules. The men sport black overcoats accented with gold tips tarnished with blood. The prisoners clearly have been in a fight featuring cuts and bruises. Guiding them hurriedly is captain pushing them forwards while deterring a onlookers.
    "Alright, alright nothing to see here. Be on your way. Just a routine arrest of some purse snatchers." The captain clearly does not want to be here.

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

Tanis casts her gaze to the guard captain. His commands to increase the pace of their work can't hasten the already hurried guards under his command.
    His shouts also conceal the sentiment for and attitude for todays assignment to those caught in the spectacle of the of the arrest of Zhentarim agents.

An attitude of "I don't care if we don't investigate" with a sentiment of I wish wasn't in this ward today.
    He wants to leave before a possible incident but his detainees and the rough road are slowing him down.

16. - Top - End - #46

BardGuy

Durnan aside, the other fight participants had been rather stand-offish toward William. So he decides to strike out on his own. Although he sees no reason why anybody would be following him or otherwise concerned about his movements after that tavern fight, he's a little more concerned than usual about putting his associates at risk, and beds down for the night with a definitely childless friend.

The next morning he heads to his traditional haunts, and tracks down one of the consistently friendliest and most helpful Zhentarim. Oscar Roc-Egg is tall, bald, ovoid, and, as usual, smiling. William signals a desire for a private chat, which Oscar immediately picks up on; a few minutes later, Oscar joins William on a scruffy seating area in an out of sight alleyway.

After generic pleasantries and a quick recounting of the tavern fight, William explains what's on his mind.

"I need to talk with one of your colleagues, at the Skewered Dragon or in the docks area. A muckety-muck misplaced one of his friends down there and is offering a nice reward to get him back. Whatever else is going on, it's probably best if that guy is found unharmed. A little heat gets cooled off, a little money gets made, and a supposed dumbass gets back to his friends. At least, that's how I hear it, and I'd like to pass the idea along without giving offense.

"Do you have any idea who I should go see?"
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-13 at 06:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

DruidGuy

Oscar greets William offering a firm but brisk handshake which picked up from his many day to day interactions acting as a "Face" for the Zhentarim. "Faces" as known on the streets are the charismatic deal makers and diplomats sent to bury all manner of disputes by the tongue before they can get out of hand, lest the "Muscle" and "Cleaners" arrive.

"Welting Willy! So good to see you come by. good to hear you can find work on your own now with the city watch off your back."

Having finished with his pleasantries he proceeds to get address your inquiry. He doesn't offer a straight answer.
    "Looking for some schmuck down by the docks? Sorry but the place is crawling with out of ward guards and with the dock Sanitation Guild chapter on strike it stinks to high heaven. But don't worry I can give you a delivery contract in the hamlets. So what do you say?"

Spoiler: Waterdeep Hamlets
    Show
    Outside the city walls exist a series of plantations and family farms who sell staple goods in the winter when the harbor freezes over or whenever they are scarce. These jobs most often take a tenday to accomplish but are worth it for those outside a guild and don't have a high demand skill like adventuring.

OOC-Guidance Oscar is being evasive. Roll for either persuasion, sleight of hand, intimidation, insight or some other skill to get what you want. You can roll with advantage by creating a past experience with him to leverage in your favor. So something like mentioning you saved his daughter from a well when you first met for persuasion or threatening tell his boss how he has been skimming money from the Zhentarim for intimidation.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-14 at 02:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Oscar greets William offering a firm but brisk handshake which picked up from his many day to day interactions acting as a "Face" for the Zhentarim. "Faces" as known on the streets are the charismatic deal makers and diplomats sent to bury all manner of disputes by the tongue before they can get out of hand, lest the "Muscle" and "Cleaners" arrive.

"Welting Willy! So good to see you come by. good to hear you can find work on your own now with the city watch off your back."

Having finished with his pleasantries he proceeds to get address your inquiry. He doesn't offer a straight answer.
    "Looking for some schmuck down by the docks? Sorry but the place is crawling with out of ward guards and with the dock Sanitation Guild chapter on strike it stinks to high heaven. But don't worry I can give you a delivery contract in the hamlets. So what do you say?"

Spoiler: Waterdeep Hamlets
    Show
    Outside the city walls exist a series of plantations and family farms who sell staple goods in the winter when the harbor freezes over or whenever they are scarce. These jobs most often take a tenday to accomplish but are worth it for those outside a guild and don't have a high demand skill like adventuring.

OOC-Guidance Oscar is being evasive. Roll for either persuasion, sleight of hand, intimidation, insight or some other skill to get what you want. You can roll with advantage by creating a past experience with him to leverage in your favor. So something like mentioning you saved his daughter from a well when you first met for persuasion or threatening tell his boss how he has been skimming money from the Zhentarim for intimidation.
    William smiles and nods, but then turns earnest.

"Oscar, my friend -- the question isn't whether I get involved down at the docks, but how. We're a little different. You're the guy who does a great job representing an organization, feeding people and collecting gold at levels I can only hope to match some day. I'm the guy who heard raised voices, checked out what they meant, saw you in trouble, magically disguised himself as an old cripple -- and then saved you by cutting out the legs of a fellow even bigger than you are."

He looks around to see that they're still alone -- but lowers his voice even so.

"Look. I know not everybody in the Zhentarim is the good kind of criminal you and I are. I'd like to go in straight up and friendly. But if you mistrust your colleagues in the dock area, I'm also willing to accept your judgment and follow a more twisty path. Either way, your guess of how to start is probably better than mine. So what would you suggest?"

Spoiler: Let the good dice roll!
    Show
    Rolling on Persuasion with advantage, which is to say twice.

(1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-14 at 10:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

Oscar remembers your first encounter vividly. The man tailing him, the lengthening shadows, and the disguise which William bore well. He knows he owes William the truth and that he would intervene regardless of his own help.
    Oscar relents in his attempts at obfuscation his brows falling and lets loose the details he knows trusting William enough to confide in him.

"I'd stay away from the Skewered Dragon. The leadership is getting anxious and cutting back on overhead. The lack of drink and bonuses is getting on everyone's nerves."

You know what he is talking about. Given the few times he has invited you to talk business or share information it was often by a Zhentarim owned or adjacent establishment serving refreshments and entertainment to contractors and full time agents at a discount to keep them content and loyal. Such amenities are routine benefits of working with the Zhentarim and only something momentous could cap the service.

Oscar goes further only stopping to fully pull the blinds down and activate a small talisman on his desk to light the room.

"It's outside my department but ever since that celebrity Polo or whoever came with his entourage came to gawk at the Skewered Dragon on my last holiday no less, the Dock Ward boss and his lieutenants have gone silent. Something unusual for him."

He points to a map on his desk right at building on by commercial docks. Several stacks of beads are on the building indicating Oscar has work relating to the location.
    "I've routed several runners sending some supplies their way to refill strategic caches. But every one has been turned back by the city guard. The local boss isn't helping me either."

Oscar concludes the sharing of his knowledge and finishes with personal remarks.

"That's all I know. If you can get to the bottom of you will be helping me a great deal. If you are sure I'll give you a map and my recollections of the floor plans."

Your associate begins pulling a spare map and parchment ready to mark both with a nearby pencil.

Show
    Oscar has given everything he knows and has given a rough description of his troubles and a location. If you don't have anything else to say I'll set the scene at the docks soon.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-15 at 02:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

BardGuy

William thanks Oscar warmly for his help, and explicitly confirms what seems likely from the getgo -- the information Oscar gave him is generic enough that his use of it won't implicate Oscar in any way. "Be safe" kinds of pleasantries aside, his parting thought is: "I only hope that when this is all over guys like you can keep doing the work they always have. If I can influence matters toward that outcome in any way, I will -- which is one reason I'm choosing to be involved in this mess. Sometimes it's good to remind the authorities that street folks can help them too."

On the way to his next destination, he passes an armorer's shop and, on a near impulse, buys a shield that would look pretty decent with the rest of his gear.

Spoiler: OOC: Stat changes
    Show
    AC up to 15. Attack down to 1d8+5. His only combat spell with a somatic component is Shield. None has a material component.

Eventually he gets to Bartholomew Bort, just as the latter is due for a break.

Spoiler: OOC: Bartholomew contact reminder
    Show
    Bartholomew Bort, a Watch sergeant whose life William once saved. He trains with William regularly at swordplay. His colleagues tolerate this relationship.

William flourishes with his shield out. "Hey, teacher -- what do you think of my new profile?

Hopefully Bort will immediately given him some pointers and training for a few minutes, after which William can draw him off for private conversation about the real purpose of his visit, without any other Watch members observing closely.

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Daxien takes a quick glance around the area, deciding to head into a business across the street from the tavern itself, hoping that someone there would’ve seen something.
    Show
    Heading into Old Xoblobs

22. - Top - End - #52

DruidGuy

Daxien

You walk into the shop ringing a dull bell alerting anyone inside to your presence. Judging by the smell the room is freshly painted in a saturated purple. About the room are columns of boxes haphazardly strewn containing a full catalogue of knickknacks and items all still undusted. Mouse traps are strewn about the room and a large yellow citronella candle burns on a counter most likely to evict the previous residents to the aging shop.

A wide eyed elderly gnome wearing a felt hat with nine glass beads resembling eyes sewn on greets you. His expression truly makes it seem like he abides by his advertisement "Open all day every day". He begins speaking to you theatrically likely in the hopes of impressing you.
    "Hail and well met! Come browse the most curious curiosity shop in the world. We have items from across and below the sword coast."

The gnome observes you down and up and appends his greeting. He spots your utilitarian dress and lack of any obvious affiliation to any groups he knows of and sees an opportunity.
    "But if it's rumors you seek I'm sure a purchase will wax my mind"

He grins giving you a smile and his attention intent on making you feel like the center of the universe while in the shop. Something he likely has to give every customer given his fledgling business.

Show
    It seems like this gnome knows something but isn't willing to give it freely. The obvious choices before you are using some charisma based negotiation or making a purchase. Feel free to roll something else if you think it could work like History on knickknack shops to trade secrets. Roll for what a skill for negotiation or another skill you think might work. If you go purchase something then roll perception to find something and roll to haggle if you want.

William

You catch Bartholomew between sessions training for the new city watch recruits. He sports his old uniform, an honor permitted by it being out of date with a patch of a golden trident emerging from the water. He breathes deeply having just sparred with new recruits much spryer than but also tax his patience. He begins speaking to you warmly but recognizes you aren't here to simply chat given your gear.

"A battle ready one if I ever saw one."
    He gives you the basics on the use of a shield how it can be used to knock an enemy prone and pin a weapon against a wall to prevent weapon strikes against you.

But now in a more discrete place you begin your true conversation. You give a general description of your quarry and destination.
    "I'm off the force now. Only serving in the reserves to bring recruits up to speed. The recent trouble has caused some of the experienced ones to head to Candlekeep or Baldur's Gate for the same jobs. You would have made a fine member of the force."

He gives you a sturdy but imploring look as he gives his advice. "But you should avoid this one. By the looks of it things are just heating up."
    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Bartholomew knows trouble is about doesn't want a friend in danger. He'll need to be convinced to change course if want him to get more information out of him.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-17 at 02:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC: A "little" typo
    Show
    You mislabelled William's section in large letters. :D

William smiles, then shakes his head. "I'm not an organization guy, and I doubt I'll 'outgrow' that any time soon. So if I'm going to get anywhere in life, I probably have to tread a risky path."

He weighs his next words, then considers. "Besides, I'm already committed to pursuing this, in ways it could be ... unfortunate ... to walk away from."

Spoiler: Skill check
    Show
    I'm going to roll Deception, because the last bit isn't actually true.

(1d0+7)[8]

In case you're allowing advantage again, I'll roll again.

(1d0+7)[8]

Edit: Oops. I blew that. I'll reroll in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-16 at 04:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

DruidGuy

Bartholomew's pupils veer to the left corner of his eyes recollecting the risky paths you have already taken. The brief stutter is what finally gave it away, something he had become adept at detecting given his ample practice with his own two son's and two daughters. The stutter hiding no fabrications but a mighty convenient neglect for telling the whole truth. Though he doubted you were clumsily avoiding the disclosure of a romantic escapade.

Bartholomew grins widely before warmly chuckling and effectively diffusing any tension in your secluded corner.
    He begins providing his own proposal.

"You can't fool me that easily. I've been practicing lie detection for years even before the forces interrogation training."

He stands before you looking you straight in the eyes and hand on shoulder as a father would when being frank with a child pursuing a career path he had an aversion for but gave his approval.
    His eyes are unblinking and sincere and his grey streaked beard attest to his practice in giving others countenance.

"Trouble is brewing again and I don't want another friend hurt. Whoever is behind it has gold and swords in deep coffers. You won't be going alone, I'm coming with you. "

With that picks up his pack and tightens his holster which was once loosened after concluding his class.

Show
    You got a tag along who knows when a youth is neglecting to tell him something. You can try giving him the slip on route to your next destination if you really want to but otherwise you will responsible for his actions. Hopefully Bartholomew Bort's brain won't start melting after having talked to William.
    Also I'll give you character details soon on him. Given the backstory he will likely be a fighter. His race is also not mentioned as I am aware so it will be listed on the details.

25. - Top - End - #55

BardGuy

Show
    That's great. Define Bort however you want. Of the original NPCs you asked for, he's the one I put the least thought into (as opposed to, say, "Mr. Cups", or as opposed to the Carefree Kids in general).

FYI, "Mr. Cups" is a fellow warlock, probably also a hexbade. He's aging/declining/nearing-the-end. He liked to go out among the poor, especially kids, and do nice things for them like Prestidigitating crummy food and especially beverage into delicious treats. That's how William got to know him, and where his nickname apparently comes from, although the Tarot interpretation would also fit.

He now seems too decrepit to help with anything other than advice or perhaps divination, but of course the elderly can have periods of recovery. In support of that point -- he's still surviving somehow.

As for the Carefree Kids -- William would be quite reluctant to let them get involved enough to add to the danger in which they anyway live. But if the situation gets drastic enough, anything's possible.

William smiles broadly. "Thanks, man. I'm playing a hunch here, but I think this is something worth doing. The Zhentarim have definitely gotten themselves all tangled in knots. I suspect the Guard or Watch have as well, although you surely still know a bit more about that than I do. This Volo guy is a third force. Maybe he'll be a bit more open with you than he was with a group of sketchy-looking strangers like me.

"At this point, I'm inclined to go back to The Yawning Portal and see who is or isn't getting back together there. Ideally, I hope to get a little more information out of Volo, although perhaps Dornan won't even help us find him until this is over."

William looks up, literally and figuratively, to his older and larger friend. "Do you have any better ideas than that?"

Show

OK. I've done my thing, and am perfectly content to be directed to the next signpost in the story. :)
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-11-17 at 04:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

DruidGuy

Bartholomew stands in contemplation narrowing his eyes and hooking a light green thumb underneath his chin.
    "Volo huh. I wouldn't bother searching now the man has evaded gnolls, giants, and even officers on domestic on domestic call to keep him from obstructing traffic during his book signings. He can hide anywhere"

He then muses further considering Durnan.
    "Durnan can fight better than almost anyone. I've seen him in action when some punks decided to spike the city of the dead. But he won't budge an inch unless his darling little tavern is in danger. We'd be better off bleeding a stone."

Turning his gaze upwards Bartholomew grins as a youth might when handed their first professional payment and eager to spend instead of saving it.
    "We don't need any of them. You've knocked heads since I first met you and I've been waiting for a chance to swing for the fences. If this trouble is where you say it is I'll have those new graduates eating out of my hands while you save them the trouble. Now where is it exactly?"

You both start walking down the street while reading the map Oscar had given you. The pristinely printed map guides you generally southwards as you both reorient yourselves using the landmarks of Waterdeep. Taking aturn at the Waterdeep Sentinel the cities newspaper. Finally you both proceed down the vacant gaze of the Dock Wards Walking Titan, a colossal statue of a bearded human in midstride as if patrolling the harbor of Waterdeep.

As the sun descends you both take extra precaution to avoid Skewered Dragon not wanting any Zhentarim informants catching sight of a former guard still proudly sporting his insignias. The temperate weather assists in the matter by providing a layer of moist fog as you walk beneath the shadows of building battered by heavy rains and snowfalls.

Bartholomew gazes over his shoulder every few minutes noting the mounting evidence for the absence of the sanitation guild and lantern posts but is soon calmed by the rhythmic bootsteps of city guard in the distance obscured by the fog.

Soon you arrive at where Oscar noted where his logistical quandary was sourced. The marked building is a warehouse within sight of the port. Large ropes, palates, dulled hooks to hoist netted cargo, and other threadbare utilitarian tools are pilled by the side of the warehouse. Broken glass windows glint by meager moonlight eight feet above the ground. All exits are locked or boarded shut save for one. A small handheld lantern rests on a crate by the entry revealing the silhouette of two figures standing guard by the door. Their voices are carried through the muggy air.

The first comes from a raspy female voice.
    "Ugh.. I can't wait for the next shift to come by. The promotion was nice alongside the raise but the pay isn't keeping up with the extra twenty percent of work we have."

Bartholomew begins to frown in disapproval over the bellyaching.

The second comes from a higher pitched and slightly nasally male voice.
    "Sure the hours are tougher but it beats pushing the morning papers. Stay sharp and won't have to go back to paper pushing so long as nobody gets past us. We just have to keep no one from entering. Probably for the next hour."

OOC: Feel free to have William and Bartholomew work together using a scheme.
    Spoiler: Scene Summary
    Show
    You just got to the warehouse on the map received from Oscar. The docks are foggy and fairly quiet with the extra guard patrols. Between you and the warehouse are two guards who certainly don't intend to let you in. You will need a plan and a skill roll to get by. The environment can be used to make the plan go easier. If you need ideas think of a heist or private detective movie you like and pull from that.

Spoiler: OOC On previous contacts
    Show
    Just for future notice. If details are scarce about a PCs contact then I'll be making some stuff up. So without those details given about Mr. Cups he would have just as likely have been a goliath paladin. Also keep in mind characters can change between substantial periods of time.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-11-18 at 04:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

BardGuy

William and Bart talk it over. They quickly agree:
    • Killing the guards would be very likely to succeed, but is not an acceptable strategy.
    • Disguising themselves as, for example, replacement guards would be problematic. Bart is hard to disguise; the guards might know their replacements; even if the guards were willing to be replaced by strangers, Will and Bart don't know enough details to be confident in pulling off the pretense.

So William proposes:
    • Bart climbs through one of the broken windows.
    • William at the same time creates a diversion at the entrance to keep Bart from being overheard.
    • William then circles around to the window to be pulled up by Bart (or to climb a rope that Bart will have securely anchored by then.

But this depends on whether Bart is optimistic he can handle that athletic challenge.

Show
    I don't know whether you intended for this to be a viable plan. I do note that, with all the junk around, lack of a grappling hook is probably not a big problem.

The intended diversion, by the way, is for William to show up demanding goods from the warehouse to be taken to another part of town. Presumably he'll be turned away like Oscar's workers have been. If he does this, he'll cast Disguise Self to avoid being IDed later.

28. - Top - End - #58

DruidGuy

Copy from OOC thread

The plan laid out is certainly a viable one.
    Bart is in shape and strong enough to jump and pull himself up so that won't need a roll. But the glass if left as is will have to be avoided with a simple Acrobatics check. Bart can easily carry a rope with him when climbing into the building too so no rolling needed for that.

Distracting the guards is easy enough. Just shouting in their faces will provide ample cover. To hide your identity roll performance. If you have a disguise kit or a decent costume roll with advantage.

As for circling around that is possible as well but a stealth check will be needed if the guards think they are in danger based on your performance so just roll it prematurely.

As for character creation I'm allowing both variant human and custom lineage. I assumed you went custom lineage and went for the feat instead of the dark vision. Either way if William doesn't have any Bart has a light source since even dark vision has it's limits.

29. - Top - End - #59

Miri entered the store together with Daxien. Upon the gnomes proposition, she smiled, understandingly.

"I understand that you must act in the most beneficial way towards your business." She nods. "Look, if we buy something only to loosen your tongue, you gain some money now, but we leave the store with a sour taste. If you offer us the information free of charge now, we will leave with a great impression of your customer service and a certain urge to endorse your store towards others." She winks. "Think about it, particularly factor in the number of taverns we hang around in with those who have more money than we do."

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion - (1d20+6)[13]

30. - Top - End - #60

DruidGuy

Xoblob pauses his appraisal of Miri and Daxien upon hearing Miri's proposal.
    Business had been slow given the recent upheaval and loss of foot traffic from the adjacent points of interest.

Though these two before him would be unlikely to know any of the more valuable patrons in Waterdeep the potential was always there.
    The gnome before you concedes to the small business owners need to court rapport amongst possible buyers instead of the resignation to routine and convenience the larger stores enjoyed.

"Of course. Xoblob will help you in your endeavors. Just three nights ago one of my loyal eyes saw two men came out of the Skewered Dragon. Similar in height and build they were taken by four figures in black armor. Bagged and taken straight to the Armstead warehouse."

He lowers on the display case and lowers his voice confident he has captured your interest.

"I see you aren't from here no salt on your boots or drink on your breath. Watch your step now. If you need help I'll be about."

Old Xoblob offers both Daxien and Miri a business card.

Old Xoblob's Hut
    [B]
    Open All Day Every Day
    [B]
    Just two stones south of the dock titan
    [B]