New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question 3.5 Best templates for colossal Vermin

Hi, my DM will let me try to tame a Megapede and i was fantasizing about which templetes i could give him.

I tought that i could make him an half-dragon (with "wish") to give him int because as a vermin he has 0 and after a magical beast to give him the possibility to have more template but i don't know which templates choose... Any advise Seniors?

Let me clarify, i don't want it for somekind of powerplay i will use him mostly for his poison infact my pg is a poison flavor assasin (it's my first campaign) but in time of needs i will summon it.
    Last edited by MasterSensei; 2021-10-21 at 11:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Best templates for colossal Vermin

Well, firstly: how you would acquire it? Is it your mount? Companion? Cohort? Familiar? Result of Handle Animal/Wild Empathy check? Purchased for gp?
    And secondly - your question about the template: how you would ensure presence of the template? Do you control its build "from the ground", or what?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I will acquire it with Handle animal and... i don't know what do mean with "ensure the presence of the template" and "Do you control its build from the ground".

Sorry i'm new to this game

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSensei View Post
    I will acquire it with Handle animal and... i don't know what do mean with "ensure the presence of the template" and "Do you control its build from the ground".

Sorry i'm new to this game
    Most creatures you encounter in a typical game world do not have templates. Most humans in a city are just humans, not Necropolitan humans, most wolves in a forest are just wolves, not magebred wolves. What makes you think the Megapede you're going to encounter is going to have a template and not be just a regular megapede? Did your DM specifically tell you that you can choose a template to add to your megapede? Or do you have a way to give it such a template? Most template cannot just be "given" to a wild animal like that. There are inherited templates which must be a template the creature has from its birth (like Half-Dragon), and even among "acquired" templates (those you might be able to give a wild animal after you have tamed it), most require very specific conditions which will not be available. Even a Wish spell (which you seem to have access to) may not be able to do that, and you should talk to your DM about if it is even possible.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-10-22 at 05:54 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Most creatures you encounter in a typical game world do not have templates. Most humans in a city are just humans, not Necropolitan humans, most wolves in a forest are just wolves, not magebred wolves. What makes you think the Megapede you're going to encounter is going to have a template and not be just a regular megapede? Did your DM specifically tell you that you can choose a template to add to your megapede? Or do you have a way to give it such a template?
    No, the Megapede will be a normal vermin but after the Handle animal (which i hope will be successful), i will use a wish to make it fiendish or half-dragon

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSensei View Post
    No, the Megapede will be a normal vermin but after the Handle animal (which i hope will be successful), i will use a wish to make it fiendish or half-dragon
    As I said in my edit of my previous post, even a Wish spell doesn't do that by the rules. You'll have to see with your DM if they allow that. If they do, they would probably allow any +2 or lower template. Note however that vermin do not have 0 intelligence. They have -- Intelligence (no score at all). While fiendish should be able to give them a score, Half-dragon only increases an existing score, and should not help you here.

Edit: If they do allow +2 templates, and for pure power/utility, I'd advise you to choose the Half-Fey template. Colossal vermin have lots of HD, and it would grant them lots of Spell-like abilities, as well as a flying speed. It doesn't grant them intelligence per se, but it gives them skill points as if they did (what? I'm not responsible for bad editing. If you allow your template to be put on a mindless creature, and it says they get skill points, then they get skill points).
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-10-22 at 06:36 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    As I said in my edit of my previous post, even a Wish spell doesn't do that by the rules. You'll have to see with your DM if they allow that. If they do, they would probably allow any +2 or lower template. Note however that vermin do not have 0 intelligence. They have -- Intelligence (no score at all). While fiendish should be able to give them a score, Half-dragon only increases an existing score, and should not help you here.

Edit: If they do allow +2 templates, and for pure power/utility, I'd advise you to choose the Half-Fey template. Colossal vermin have lots of HD, and it would grant them lots of Spell-like abilities, as well as a flying speed. It doesn't grant them intelligence per se, but it gives them skill points as if they did (what? I'm not responsible for bad editing. If you allow your template to be put on a mindless creature, and it says they get skill points, then they get skill points).
    My dm is open minded and flexible on rules, so he will let me do all this things.
    it's just that i have to find information on things like "Fay" and basic things like that to make the Wish.

I tought to add to the Megapede in this order: the Fiendish template to make him have 3 int, the Half-fay which will make him "HD d6" instead of "HD d8" but give him spell and the half-dragon to raise his HD to d8 (again) and int to 5 so i can teach him things... am i wrong?
    Last edited by MasterSensei; 2021-10-22 at 09:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"HD 6" and "HD d6" are very very different things.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    "HD 6" and "HD d6" are very very different things.
    I've changed now it should be correct

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

This thread should give you some options.

Most templates are purely GM permission and/or are inherited templates that generally cannot be applied to already existing creatures.