New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Boosting a Fortitude Save

Our party's swordsage just hit 3rd level and picked up the Fire Riposte maneuver, which he's been just dying to try out. The problem is, he has a 21 AC, which is high enough so that he's been avoiding taking hits for long enough to make him impatient.

Long story short, he closed his eyes, took off his armor, and rushed into melee with a pair of wights. Astonishingly, he only managed to pick up one negative level in the process, but now he's got to make a DC 18 fortitude save in 24 hours.

So, we need to come up with some way to boost his fortitude save before then. We have substantial financial resources, and could probably buy some scrolls and potions, but I don't think we'll be able to get a restoration cast within that time. We have a favored soul who can cast Bear's Endurance, and a scroll of Protection from Evil, each of which should be good for a +2. The swordsage has a +0 Con modifier, so his base save is only +1. Any other quick and dirty methods of boosting this?
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

2. - Top - End - #2

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Boosting a Fortitude Save

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    Our party's swordsage just hit 3rd level and picked up the Fire Riposte maneuver, which he's been just dying to try out. The problem is, he has a 21 AC, which is high enough so that he's been avoiding taking hits for long enough to make him impatient.

Long story short, he closed his eyes, took off his armor, and rushed into melee with a pair of wights. Astonishingly, he only managed to pick up one negative level in the process, but now he's got to make a DC 18 fortitude save in 24 hours.

So, we need to come up with some way to boost his fortitude save before then. We have substantial financial resources, and could probably buy some scrolls and potions, but I don't think we'll be able to get a restoration cast within that time. We have a favored soul who can cast Bear's Endurance, and a scroll of Protection from Evil, each of which should be good for a +2. The swordsage has a +0 Con modifier, so his base save is only +1. Any other quick and dirty methods of boosting this?
    Resistance. And since it's a "resistance bonus", it'll stack. Only +1, but every little bit helps.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

resurgence is a first-level cleric spell that allows the subject to make a second attempt at saving against an ongoing effect. Not sure if it will work here (I'd say it does), and you still have to take the second roll even if it fails more than the first one. Still, better to have a second chance than none at all.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

How about a Periapt of Wisdom except one that increases CON such as
    Anabolic Steroids of Fitness. You guys did say money isn't a problem and afterwards you can just hand it off to the group's Fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticSoldier
    How about a Periapt of Wisdom except one that increases CON such as
    Anabolic Steroids of Fitness. You guys did say money isn't a problem and afterwards you can just hand it off to the group's Fighter.
    He already has Bear's Endurance; so an Amulet of Health won't stack.

The Heroics spell, maybe?

6. - Top - End - #6

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    He already has Bear's Endurance; so an Amulet of Health won't stack.

The Heroics spell, maybe?
    An Amulet of Health +6 would be an improvement, but 36k is a bit pricy for a 3rd level party

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe hire a Marshal to stand around yer buddy?

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

I don't know much about Bards, but there's probably a Bard song that gives a (morale) boost to saves? Anyone got a lyre?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Long story short, he closed his eyes, took off his armor, and rushed into melee with a pair of wights.
    I'd so vote for him :P

The simpler way would have been just to say that he is autohit, you can fail your saves, I'm pretty sure you can ignore your AC if you wish to do it too. But this guy is made of win, I'll grant him that :)

Anyways, the good suggestions are indeed here already. Resistance Spell, Resurgence (maybe), Marshal Aura. Maybe there are some alchemical items in splatbooks that can help too, like modified antitoxins or something.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Resistance. And since it's a "resistance bonus", it'll stack. Only +1, but every little bit helps.
    The bonus from Protection from Evil is also a resistance bonus, but it's +2. So the Resistance orison won't help. Guidance, however, is a competence bonus, so it will. And a cleric with the Protection domain could use his granted power to give a resistance bonus greater than that from Protection from Evil.

Heroism gives a +2 morale bonus to saves, which will stack. Greater Heroism is +4, but it's too high level for potions.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

YOU CALL THAT A FORT. SAVE? MY GRANDMA COULD ROLL BETTER FORT. SAVES AND SHE'S DEAD!

DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY MAGGOT, OR SO HELP ME GOD NEGATIVE LEVELS WILL BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!
    Last edited by Solo; 2007-11-17 at 08:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    YOU CALL THAT A FORT. SAVE? MY GRANDMA COULD ROLL BETTER FOR SAVES, AND SHE's DEAD!

DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY MAGGOT, OR SO HELP ME GOD NEGATIVE LEVELS WILL BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!
    D&D needs more drill sergeant characters.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I can see it now:

Epic Wizard "Hey, remember me? I was your student 30 levels ago."

DS "What, you want a medal?! You wouldn't even be a wizard if I hadn't whipped you into shape, maggot!"

Epic Wizard - baleful polymorph - toad

DS "ribbit!"

Epic Wizard "I'm a maggot, huh? Eat me."

Something like that?
    Last edited by Idea Man; 2007-11-17 at 07:49 PM.
    Why is it the best campaign ideas happen when you're sitting down to someone elses game?

Pun-Pun is an example of the worst case scenario. Never, ever, push your DM that far.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Idea Man View Post
    I can see it now:

Epic Wizard "Hey, remember me? I was your student 30 levels ago."

DS "What, you want a medal?! You wouldn't even be a wizard if I hadn't whipped you into shape, maggot!"

Epic Wizard - baleful polymorph - toad

DS "ribbit!"

Epic Wizard "I'm a maggot, huh? Eat me."

Something like that?
    A real drill sergeant would step up and eat the wizard with his froggy mouth.