New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Requesting list of 3.0/5 theurge prestige classes

As per the title, for a campaign I've got a truly excessive amount of levels available(60, some people might know what campaign talking about) and I'd like to experiment with seeing how many theurge(I.E Jade Phoenix Mage and Mystic Theurge) classes I can potentially stack up at once.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Requesting list of 3.0/5 theurge prestige classes

There's a list here (scroll down a couple of screens): https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...e-Handbook-WIP

Only one missing I can think of is Arcane Hierophant (RotW p.108).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The spellcasting classes index in my signature has a complete list.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    There's a list here (scroll down a couple of screens): https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...e-Handbook-WIP

Only one missing I can think of is Arcane Hierophant (RotW p.108).
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The spellcasting classes index in my signature has a complete list.
    Thanks a lot, these are exactly what I needed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eldritch master is exactly what you want ... Advances spellcaster levels without granting spells (so at 20+ no difference) and will give you access to two classes spell lists ... Add in rainbow servant and you can make a wizard with access to cleric, druid, and wu-jen spell lists ... If you wanted you could make a Beguiler and get cleric, wizard and druid lists this way ... Another class to consider is chameleon ... Floating feat and access to a ton of spells

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Requesting list of 3.0/5 theurge prestige classes

Also note that even single level dips into Swordsage/Warblade/Crusader past level 34 gives you up to 9th level maneuvers due to the whole "non-initiator levels count as half an initiator level" thing. Not quite magic, but "blade magic".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    Eldritch master is exactly what you want ... Advances spellcaster levels without granting spells (so at 20+ no difference) and will give you access to two classes spell lists ... Add in rainbow servant and you can make a wizard with access to cleric, druid, and wu-jen spell lists ... If you wanted you could make a Beguiler and get cleric, wizard and druid lists this way ... Another class to consider is chameleon ... Floating feat and access to a ton of spells
    Only WotC material allowed sadly, so no Eldritch Master. Rainbow servant would be a great idea, but I'm looking at dual advancement options primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    Also note that even single level dips into Swordsage/Warblade/Crusader past level 34 gives you up to 9th level maneuvers due to the whole "non-initiator levels count as half an initiator level" thing. Not quite magic, but "blade magic".
    Already factored in; I'm thinking about clearing both RVK and JPM.

EDIT: Goofy question. Can you use something like Jade Phoenix Mage to advancing casting granted from another PrC? Like Divine Crusader for example.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2021-10-24 at 10:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Only WotC material allowed sadly, so no Eldritch Master.
    Actually, I think Eldritch Master was published during the period when WotC was directly handling publishing (January 2000-August 2002).

EDIT: Goofy question. Can you use something like Jade Phoenix Mage to advancing casting granted from another PrC? Like Divine Crusader for example.
    Yes in general, but not for Divine Crusader, since JPM only advances arcane casting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Actually, I think Eldritch Master was published during the period when WotC was directly handling publishing (January 2000-August 2002).

Yes in general, but not for Divine Crusader, since JPM only advances arcane casting.
    Ah, okay. Maybe I should do something goofy and dual advance a bunch of classes that have casting progression like Divine Crusader.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ah, okay. Maybe I should do something goofy and dual advance a bunch of classes that have casting progression like Divine Crusader.
    The gold standards for those are Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, and Nar Demonbinder. Divine Crusader isn't as flexible as Ur-Priest, but is a lot easier to work into builds because it doesn't forbid all other divine casting.

One trick for theurging that I'm quite fond of is the Precocious Apprentice feat on a Sha'ir, with one of the spells that they can cast both arcanely and divinely. This meets both of the spellcasting requirements for Mystic Theurge at level 1, though you do need another two levels of something to meet the skill requirements. I'd recommend Warlock or Shadowcaster, as both have Knowledge (religion) as a class skill, can be progressed by Mystic Theurge, and qualify you for more theurge classes down the road (Eldritch Scion/Eldritch Disciple and Noctomancer respectively).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    The gold standards for those are Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, and Nar Demonbinder. Divine Crusader isn't as flexible as Ur-Priest, but is a lot easier to work into builds because it doesn't forbid all other divine casting.

One trick for theurging that I'm quite fond of is the Precocious Apprentice feat on a Sha'ir, with one of the spells that they can cast both arcanely and divinely. This meets both of the spellcasting requirements for Mystic Theurge at level 1, though you do need another two levels of something to meet the skill requirements. I'd recommend Warlock or Shadowcaster, as both have Knowledge (religion) as a class skill, can be progressed by Mystic Theurge, and qualify you for more theurge classes down the road (Eldritch Scion/Eldritch Disciple and Noctomancer respectively).
    I actually don’t recommend Precious Apprentice. Not only is it on shakier rules ground by strict RAW (if the feat gave 2nd level spells it would turn itself off, plus you arguably only get 2nd level spell singular), but it’s also terrible past 3rd. I recommend Illumian Sha’ir with Inproved Sigle Krau. You get two spells that are always cast as a 2nd level spell no matter how you prepare them, so just pick two 1st level spells off domain lists that intersect with wizard that magically become 2nd for both, and you also get a floating +2 CL to both classes so that becomes less painful. And once you get proper 2nd level spells improved Sigil Krau lets you pick two new spells, ones up to second level, to auto upcast as 3rd. That’s a nice +1 to the Dc of various spells you use a lot AND you get room for more cheese. All that and access to human paragon to boot.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-11-08 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Expanding