Default Re: Tales from the First World: The Great War

Spoiler: Status
    Show

HP: 18/18
    SP: 9/14
    HD: 3/3 (D8)
    BI: 3/4
    Conditions: None
    Ongoing Spell Effects: Hideous Laughter (Concentration, Duration 1 Minute) (DC14 Will Save)

Yolotli breathed a sigh of relief as the threat was, for the immediate moment, dealt with - and then gave a start as a very serious looking lizardfolk came out of the tavern and began dragging the woman away for, uh. Some kind of serious looking purpose.

Yolotli followed the lizardfolk guard, trotting up behind him and beginning to babble amicably, but somewhat nervously. "Um, hey, hiya! Name's Yolotli! And, as the one who put that spell on this one-" She gestures at the still-laughing elf, "-I should probably tell you that it's actually going to wear off any minute now, so we should, probably certainly knock her out and get some rope if we're going to get her to the town guard without her trying to escape again. Although we don't seem to, uh, be heading in that direction? Oh, ah, unless you are a town guard?"
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-11-07 at 03:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Player actions
    Show
    Yolotli makes an insight roll! Result: 6

In the tavern, after that bit of news had finally relayed, the Empire representative seemed thoughtful. "So you didn't see the mayor die?" When the girl shook her head, a sigh went through the crowd as if a bit of tension had been released, though a note of that returned when she responded, "But there woz a lot of them blokes what wanted him dead, there woz. Godborn or not, 'ed have quite a hard time scarpering from all 'em, or puttin' 'em all down, like he seemed intent on doin'. Knocked down a buildin' with his waves like he did!"

Nahree's question to the captain gets a nod from the old gnoll, who rises to his feet with a groan and informs the kobold, "Aye, would be high time to pull out at least until morning, I'd agree. And I'd say that's just what we should be doing... if I could. But as I was trying to explain to our new navigator and our ship's fist here, we aren't provisioned or crewed enough for that. Tonight will be bad. Very, very bad. There might not be a port to pull back into in the morning, and with only a skeleton crew to service us, a layer of rot and crack through our rudder, and nothing but scraps for supplies in the hold..."

His one eye squints as he sees the tiefling walking out to follow the lizard, and he opens his mouth to call to her before Caldasier, twirling his halberd in hand for a moment to signal that he's reached a decision, is walking out to join her as well. Hekktars growls a curse in gnoll tongue after them, a curse that Akilej'nah would understand as a wish for poxes on the motherless dogs that raised them to be so rash, before telling both of his new officers that were still there, "Most of the sailors in this tavern are spoken for already, either recruited or unqualified or... bah. I can't be picky now. Oi, girl." He said to the human that had sparked all of this with her news. His call got her to peek her head up, and a few sailors to look his way as well. "You were looking for a ship, aye? What's your name?" Her enthusiastic nodding and the name Anesbeth gets a grunt from him, and he turns his head to the bar to ask, "Oi, kids, are you still here?" The two young barhands and the bar tender all poked their heads up from behind the bar counter, and the gnoll sighed before saying, "Aye. I suppose you too. If you still want that job, it's yours. But I'll work you just as hard as I would anyone else, savvy?" The obvious relief on the faces of the kids mixed with their excitement, and they wadded up the aprons they'd been given to throw to the sides, and the bartender seemed tempted to do the same before swallowing heavily and shaking his head.

"Right. That gives us fourteen souls on the ship capable of, if not exactly magnificent at or currently sober, crewing my ship." Hekktar's informs the kobold and ghul. "I'd hoped for a crew of at least thirty that know what they are doing. We could make it work, but sailing would be slow, and there were other places I'd been meaning to try and visit before we departed. Perhaps, if the docks can be secured... Gather your things, and the members of our crew that are scattered in here and still hiding in the bunkhouse. We meet back here in five minutes, and I'll tell you my plan then."

As if his dismissal had been a signal, most of the crowd that was still in the tavern remembered that they had ships to get to as well, and they began to file back into the bunk house to empty it out, or behind the bar to loot a few bottles for the road. The empire sympathizer, motioning for his mates to go on without him, stayed behind beside Anesbeth and squinted, before asking her, "Did... you happen to see if there were any markings on the assassins? Empire or League."

Nursing a bottle of elven brandy all on her own now, being one of the sailors who'd stayed at the bar since she had no belongings in this establishment, the human would nod and say, "Oh right I did. Shaline white and League council colors both. 'Least, I think I did. Coulda swore it were both."

Yolotli was greeted by a glare from the lizard, who still had a naked longsword in one clawed hand and the collar of the elf's leather breastplate firmly held in the other. He looked her up and down for a moment, seeming to weight something, though the tiefling wouldn't know what, and over the sound of the assassin's continued laughter he'd tell her, "Girl, what guards? The ones that won't run away will be dead tonight. Riots and looting and opportunists like this one will see to that." When Caldasier came out behind her, the lizard's eyes narrowed further and he declares to both of them, "This is a murderer. A woman who killed one of my own, likely associated with the assassins who killed the mayor. With no authority to try her likely to last the night, and her sentence likely being death anyway, I mean to deliver justice. Girl. I have heard of your people, and I know your life must have been harsh. I do not mean to make you witness this brutality as well. Just keep your spell going, and I will handle this myself."

One thing that would catch Yolotli's eye is that the assassin no longer has her blades, and in fact, both bloodsteel short swords are laying on the ground just a few feet away from the tiefling. It would seem the woman now squirming somewhat desperately in the lizard's grasp, still laughing without end, had dropped those implements as she was being moved.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nahree, luckily enough, didn't have to scurry around, because he always carried everything he owned with him. Or, rather, less thanks to luck than to one of his many ingenious devices. He would have helped to gather the other people, but he didn't quite know exactly who or where they were. So, instead, he got back onto the stool he had been using before. "I still think it's weird," he said. "Don't people only use their colours when they want you to know who they are? Or maybe they're just trying to confuse everyone? But in any case, I'll be glad when we're gone. I've been trying to leave this place for a while.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akilej'nah sticks to the captain, pointedly ignoring the apparent lynching of the murderer and generally not drawing attention to herself. She has trouble seeing how she could help, and is all through aware she could make things worse...
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    Ongoing Spell Effects: Hideous Laughter (Concentration, Duration 1 Minute) (DC14 Will Save)

"Ah, er, um, wait! I-is that actually necessary, friend?" Yolotli held no particular sympathy for the assassin, and definitely no desire to get involved in whatever was about to happen here, but she wasn't about to watch someone just get helplessly dragged off and murdered in an alley. Was she?

"Look!" she says, scooping up the fallen daggers from the ground, "These are Bloodsteel, yes? A-and I saw the way she moved just before the attack - very deliberate movements. These are not the marks of some random rogue - they're the marks of someone with training and backing. I think maybe you are correct when you say that she could maybe be involved with the ones who tried to kill the mayor, perhaps. So, if that is the case, and she is here, alive, would it not be better to, question her? See what she knows, or if there are others like her who could be stopped?"

Yolotli's hands trembled on the concertina, but she could not bring herself to actually halt the spell. Though she had no idea how much longer it would last.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-12-13 at 12:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Player actions
    Show
    Yolotli makes a Persuasion roll to convince the lizard. Roll: 18

At Nahree's question, the sailor's forehead scrunches, and Anesbeth drops the bottle from her face to ask, "Ay, yeah... aren't you lot all so..." She gestured vaguely at his everything, "You know. Possessive 'bout all that?"

He grunts and mutters, "They're strips of cloth, and with the profit that comes from selling them, especially Shaline white that gets stained faster... Well, there's plenty of the bands on market. Though... most people only buy them when they're actually aligned." Tapping his hand against his chin while thinking, the empire sympathizer says, "No reason to buy both unless you're just trying to cause confusion... or maybe... to provoke an outright minor war. Because both sides would see the colors of their opposition on the assassins, or hear about it at least, right? So if the mayor is dead, we'd blame them, they'd blame us... but who does that serve? No one profits from the island turning into a warzone."

"M'bee 'is wife caught 'im cheating on 'er?" Anesbeth suggests, blinking somewhat lazily and slurring her words as the alcohol she's imbibed truly takes effect. The sailor gives her a somewhat pained look.

Akilej'nah would be able to stay next to the captain, who watched his own crew and seemed to be pointedly before he growls to her, "I understand that the Sisterhood has alliances that you are compelled to defend, and aye, I don't blame you. But keep in mind that you're a member of my crew now, windweaver. You have our back, and we are supposed to have yours. So when you declare allegiance, you're doing it for more than just yourself. You don't need to hold back completely and go against the sisterhood in order to be a part of my crew, but try to remember that such strong statements of support can feel... stifling to your crewmates who might not be under the same obligations as you."

Yolotli's words sink into the lizard's consciousness, and he pulls back his lips up in a snarl before dropping the assassin to the ground. Taking his blade in both hands, he smashes the pommel into the elf's temple twice, and with her eyes glazing over her magically-induced laughter dramatically fades. She's still alive, from how her chest continues to rise and fall and how the magic continues to force her to giggle, even in her concussed stupor, but she's laying on the ground completely boneless and there's going to be a nasty welt on the side of her face once she wakes up.

Panting slowly, the knight looks back at the tiefling bard and he hisses, "Fine. Your point makes sense. But me and my people will handle that questioning, since this struggle doesn't really concern you." Glancing at the daggers in Yolotli's hands he adds, "Go ahead and keep those. You were a great help, and they will be worth more than any reward you might get from us tonight. And get back inside. I'm certain your captain wants all hands on deck." With that, he reaches down to pick up the elf again to sling the assassin over one of his shoulders. His sword doesn't become sheathed, though.

Caldasier took a step to look over Yolotli's shoulder, and he lets out a surprised grunt at what he saw. "Those look... like they were made deadly. What the scaled one said is right. Might be dangerous out here, and captain will want to talk to us. Only..." The night elf's eyes narrowed at the lizardfolk, and he mutters to her, "For a moment, I thought he would try to strike you, not the murderer. It must be my newness and imagination." His voice was kept low and it doesn't seem like the lizard heard his observation, though hiw words might also be masked by the dull roar that can be heard coming from the town proper. It seems the riots are officially starting.

7. - Top - End - #37

"That's..." Nahree gulped. "If people are starting a war here, it's even more important that we go. I should have been gone a long time ago, but..." He hesitated, then shook his head. "It doesn't matter now. I'm already ready. I've been ready the whole time. So... please, how much longer?"he asked the captain.

To the captain's words, Nahree nodded. "I'm not on the side of assassins, not matter where they're from," he said. "I understand that you're for the Sisterhood, but... are you really in favour of every single thing they do? Or they might do? You don't even know if they sent this one, so was it really right for you to just... let her go like that?"

The sudden roar made Nahree start. "I think.... I think we might not have much time now," he said.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"In truth, I can say with a high degree of certainty the Sisterhood had nothing to do with anything that happened here today. I only brought them up in the hopeful misapprehension they would put enough fear into those thugs to let us escape.

As for letting her go, I don't like assassins either, but it's hardly my place to help my declared enemies defend themselves "
    GNU Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    Yolotli's words sink into the lizard's consciousness, and he pulls back his lips up in a snarl before dropping the assassin to the ground. Taking his blade in both hands, he smashes the pommel into the elf's temple twice, and with her eyes glazing over her magically-induced laughter dramatically fades. She's still alive, from how her chest continues to rise and fall and how the magic continues to force her to giggle, even in her concussed stupor, but she's laying on the ground completely boneless and there's going to be a nasty welt on the side of her face once she wakes up.

Panting slowly, the knight looks back at the tiefling bard and he hisses, "Fine. Your point makes sense. But me and my people will handle that questioning, since this struggle doesn't really concern you." Glancing at the daggers in Yolotli's hands he adds, "Go ahead and keep those. You were a great help, and they will be worth more than any reward you might get from us tonight. And get back inside. I'm certain your captain wants all hands on deck." With that, he reaches down to pick up the elf again to sling the assassin over one of his shoulders. His sword doesn't become sheathed, though.

Caldasier took a step to look over Yolotli's shoulder, and he lets out a surprised grunt at what he saw. "Those look... like they were made deadly. What the scaled one said is right. Might be dangerous out here, and captain will want to talk to us. Only..." The night elf's eyes narrowed at the lizardfolk, and he mutters to her, "For a moment, I thought he would try to strike you, not the murderer. It must be my newness and imagination." His voice was kept low and it doesn't seem like the lizard heard his observation, though hiw words might also be masked by the dull roar that can be heard coming from the town proper. It seems the riots are officially starting.
    "Ah, yes, right, that sounds agreeable enough!" Yolotli responded, but the lizardfolk had already turned away. The tiefling let out a small sigh of relief as he did so, tail and wings drooping slightly. That could have ended poorly.

Yolotli gave a small start as the dark elf from before suddenly appeared at her shoulder. "Oh! Hello! It was...Caldasier, yes? Fantastic to meet you! Though I do wish it was under better circumstances, haha. Ah, um, hm." She chewed on his last words for a moment as she watched the lizardfolk go. "Do you think so?" Yolotli replied, similarly lowering her voice. "Ah, you don't think I insulted him in some way, do you? Or do you think he thinks I was siding with the assassin? Or perhaps it was some local custom I violated? I've been south a few times in my wanderings but I have never been here I must admit so all of this is rather new to me. Ahh, you don't suppose I should follow him and clear all this up, do you?"

Yolotli's ramblings were cut off by another sudden rise in the distant roaring. "Or, ah, hm, perhaps it would be better to do as you said and go to the captain. Don't want to keep him waiting, and that noise sounds, ah. Like something I very much would prefer to not be here for." She turned to gingerly place the still poison-wet daggers (...how many people had that woman been planning on assassinating, exactly?) in her bag, but stopped, considering something. "Oh! Would you like these instead? I can hold my own in a fight but, I am not normally one for stabbing, so much. Er, not to imply that you are, necessarily! Well, unless you were hired as a fighter, in which case I am sure that you are as good at stabbing as any other!"
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-12-03 at 03:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, but most call me Companion." Caldasier confirms, before Yolotli's musings on why the lizard might want to attack her drew a raised brow from the night elf, causing him to point out, "You ask me about these things? I have been in your world only a short time. Lizard talks I have not had many."

To the offer of the daggers he shook his head. "No, that is your prize. I failed to help. The spoils go to you. Anyway..." Patting the ironwood haft of his halberd, he gave the tiefling a grin and said, "I am more trained with big sticks than I am small stabbies. And you are a story teller, yes? Fancy knives make more entertaining juggling and dagger tricks." He nodded, as if that settled that, and turned to return to the longhouse.

Inside of the longhouse, the captain grunted and chuckled at Akilej'nah's statement and he points out, "You know, the sisterhood hasn't done too much to cultivate a fierce reputation in this port. Aye, they've defended themselves well, but don't have the brash martial discipline of Shaline paladins, the cruelty of independent pirates or the dark rumors of the League's councils to make invoking their name... well, all that frightening."

The Empire sympathizer cuts in at this point to add, "Yeah, to be honest, if I hadn't seen how you moved when the assassin struck, I would have thought you were joking about the witnessing thing..." This draws a sharp look from Hekktars, and somewhat abashed he added, "Not meaning any offense, of course. It's just that ghuls and the sisterhood tend to be peaceful, yes?" He then looked at the gnoll and asked, "Captain, you'll be leaving this port soon, yes?"

The old gnoll let out a long sigh before saying, "Yes, and no doubt you heard my need for additional hands on the ship." Gesturing at the white ribbon tied to the man's shoulder, Hekktar's asked, " But don't you have prior obligations, mister...?"

As if on cue, the two conscious imperials walled over to the sailor, telling him they'd meet him back at the stronghold, before walking out the back door with their inebriated companion. Waving them off he says, "Hauke, sir. Just Hauke. My casitta required us to wear these, being an old blood from the Meraille free ports. And while she's a good woman, and I believe the imperials have more cause and better standards of living that would benefit more people... She's not good enough and I don't believe strongly enough to stab anyone in the street over it, sir." Standing straight, the sailor adds, "I was born on Trenalt," a neutral island to the west, "I've served as a deckhand and tailor for seven years, sir. I know my way around a ship, and I can work as an assistant to your quartermaster or boatswain should you need it."

The captain nodded slowly, eyes rotating to the front door as Caldasier walked back in, and he said, "Wayfinder Alkej'nah, I'll leave the decision to accept or deny him up to you." She was the one who might object most to him, after all.

After that, with the crew reassembling, Hekktars pulled out a stool and sat himself down. "Right, done with all the side dramas? Good. Because we have some work to do, and little time to get it done. Before we got here, me and the other veterans of the crew had been struck by a sudden onset of Drowner's lung." A fast-acting disease that some said was a concoction of Kassa herself, while others theorized it was what happened when one drank water infected by Crimson Blight. It killed most people that caught it quickly but could be survived, though those who did manage to live were crippled until they could be healed magically. "We managed to limp into port, whereupon local priests of Ilmas cured us, cleansed every inch of the Ragamender, and stranded us in quarantine for a week. Reaching port was difficult, left us limping and out of supplies, and we got tangled in the reefs between the two watch islands just outside of port. So. Here's what we are facing."

Counting off on his fingers, he said, "We need more crew. With our current compliment we could run perhaps one shift comfortably, if we could get three or four more, we could stretch it into a second shift, though that would be a stressful compliment and still be somewhat slow going. A full crew of thirty two would be ideal, and would allow us to sail at speed through three separate shifts without much danger. If we can get a physician, a trained doctor or priest of Ilmas and their apprentices for example, that would be fantastic, as our last was the first one to contract the Drowner's. Most obvious place to find them will be the other longhouses, though those will likely not be the most specialized of sailors."

A second finger, "We need supplies, and I don't much care where or how we get them. Food, water, medicine and patching material for the most part, as we still have plenty of shot for the ten cannons the Ragamender boasts. Some more wouldn't go amiss, but will take some time to load up. Other crews and looters may be plundering warehouses to take what they can already, and the portside warehouses weren't well stocked to begin with, so don't expect to find much outside of the warehouse block. And be warry of people you encounter there, could turn vicious."

Gesturing to Nahree as he holds up a third finger, the captain said, "There's damage to the ship that I'm hoping you'll be able to help us with. Our rudder was cracked on the reefs, leaving it splintered and damaged, and that's our most pressing issue. There are likely replacements we could commandeer from the dockmaster's office, but if we can bypass that then I will be a happy man. So you and I will be going to take a look at that immediately. Less pressingly, we also need a new replacement mainsail, and three of the cannon ports had their covers scraped away by a collision we suffered after drifting into the Sentinel's cliffs."

Holding up a fourth and final finger, the captain states, "And last but certainly not least, we need to secure the dock. It's going to take time to gather everything we need, and while it's light outside and the riots will be smaller and isolated for a time," He hoped, "I still want to make sure we don't get overwhelmed by stowaways, rioters or opportunists, aye? That means securing the dock and making sure it stays secured. So that's what we'll do first, and what we'll do now. After that, we can break into teams. I want to set sail by sunset, before night comes and things get really vicious out there, which gives us a few hours yet." About six hours, given it was a bit after noon and it was late spring in a semi-tropical area. "Now let's go."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I'm personally happy to work with anyone. That said, short of just finding people and telling them we are leaving, I don't have any bright ideas to help. And that seems to have been your idea, too, captain"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #42

"Maybe now that war's brewing, people might be more eager to leave by any way they can find. I know I am. So let's hurry and get to the ship? I want to get working on that rudder as fast as I can." He gave his automaton a small knock and it proceeded to pick him up. "I have an idea, too, that would make it easier to gather supplies, but I'd want to get to the ship first." For all that he was eager to leave and eager to help, he still very much preferred not to leave the bag that contained all of his possessions to people he'd barely met. Once on the ship, he could put those away and leave them with just the bag. For the rest, well, he'd have to see where they would be at once he'd finished on repairs.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    Ongoing Spell Effects: n/a

Yolotli, pocketing the daggers and nodding along to Caldasier's words, walked back into the tavern in time to hear most of the captain's speech on their goals.

"Oh, yes, yes, I can definitely, probably persuade some more people to join us! And maybe negotiate for some supplies! And ah, maybe with fixing the boat as well? Not my usual area of expertise but I will do whatever I can to be useful! Sir!"

She'd already gathered up her things earlier, so she simply bounced on her heels near the door, wings shifting nervously (excitedly?), ready to head towards the ship at a moment's notice.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-12-24 at 02:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Akilej'nah's response seems to be warm enough for Hauke, and the sailor retrieves his own bundle of equipment from the bunks, gesturing for all of you to go on ahead. He knows the name of the ship, after all, so he can catch up once he's gotten everything he and the other Shaline sympathizers have hidden throughout the longhouse. When the captain asked, Hauke informs him that the Imperial presence in the area figured it would be good to hide some useful items in some of the longhouses, and that he had been in the team that made the stashes in the first place, so he could access other stashes of healing potions, antitoxins and other easily stashed caches should he be brought with the recruiting team... at least, if they weren't already looted by other Empire sympathizers who were gearing up for the coming night.

Spoiler: Supply progress
    Show
    +1 crew member (bringing the total to 16 crew members)

+3 potions of healing, +3 antidotes, +2 jugs of healing sands, +2 level 2 scrolls of Healing Word (Bard class versions) and an unidentified wand made of Concourse metals.

Two further caches are noted at longhouses 3 and 5.

The Ragamender had been docked just south of the longhouse that the party had been living, so they would be able to reach it without any incident and rather quickly. This part of the port was abuzz with activity, with sailors from the three other ships docked here already hauling supplies from the nearby warehouse to their holds. The handful of port guards in this area mostly just stood back, not sure what they should do about so many sailors straight-up stealing what they could get their hands on while the harbormaster's aid kept sputtering and objecting that these supplies needed to be paid for before they could be removed, and how much paperwork this was going to make for him, and the lost profit margins, oh, the horrible, horrible margins! One of the captains of the other ships seemed to take pity on the poor soul, and brought him aside to begin negotiating the purchase of the commandeered goods his sailors were already taking, but for the most part the lawful authorities were simply ignored in this hectic scene.

Despite the distant echoes of discontent from further within the city, the port wasn't too busy yet over-all. While some of the docks connected to the other longhouses were starting to see activity, with a few sailors actually coming in your direction to enquire what was going on, it seems the news hasn't quite reached this edge of town outside of your bearer of bad news, and the party are among the first group in this area to hear about the coming storm.

Yolotli, being as people-savvy as she was, would spot something odd in the area. A well-dressed middle aged human male, likely an official of the provincial government if she had to guess, an elven woman that must be his wife, three half-elven children of varying ages and a group of six guards wearing the symbols of a noble house were standing at the edge of the bustling activity, trying to draw attention but failing to do so with the sailors who were simply taking what they could before getting off the island. There was a pair of luggage chests and a strongbox that must be used for currency in the center of this group, but while the eyes of various people lingered on it, the armaments of the noble's guards -actual spears, shields and breastplates rather than the cudgels and boiled leather that the port authorities were lugging around- made would-be robbers think twice and turn back to taking the supplies they needed instead.

Nahree would be brought directly to the ship by Davian. Being the head boatswain, the kobold would be given an officer's quarters in the Ragamender's lower decks, closer to where he'd likely put in most of his work, and he was given a quick tour of the ship. The Ragamender was a two-mast ship that had three levels beneath the main deck. The main deck had two areas for rooms stationed beneath the helmsman's platform' one that served as quarters for the captain and one for the first mate, though the captain's room had a second bed that the mate could move into should a particularly important guest rent a room.

The first level was primarily for crew quarters, with many open hammocks, a mess room and three smaller private rooms decorating the area; two at the end of each row of hammocks that were for a navigator and secondary guest quarters, and one attached to the dining area that served as the kitchen. The dining room would also serve as the loading point, should a crane be used to transport supplies into the ship, and as such it had a grate that could be lifted open above it which gave access to the sky and open air, though there was a tarp that could be deployed to cover that metal hatch should a storm come rolling in.

The second level held the ship's cannon banks, six to each side, with three chambers attached as well; one chamber that held barrels of gunpowder along with oils, ropes, cloth and replacement wooden wheels and struts meant to allow for the repair of the guns themselves, a chamber that held nothing but cannonballs, powder barrels and all the equipment necessary to load the guns, and a chamber just across from that powder room that Nahree was informed was the room meant for the ship's head Boatswain, which turned out to be a somewhat spacious place for a creature as small as the kobold. There was a workbench and some stationary woodworking clamps in the space already, along with an actual installed bed meant for a gnoll-sized individual already installed in here, though the mattress wasn't particularly impressive. This second level was still above the waterline, and as such was where the easiest access to the ship's rudder was located, and where the cannon port covers had been scraped away, so it was likely where Nahree would begin making his repairs.

The third level was purely meant for storage, be it supplies for the ship and crew or cargo that might be hauled and sold, and it was disappointingly empty. The third level was the smallest in length, though it had a similar volume to the first level thanks to the somewhat-increased depth, was entirely underwater, but was kept dry by the still-intact pitch and sealants that had been applied to its boards. This hold would hopefully be filled up rather soon.

15. - Top - End - #45

The first thing Nahree did, after being given a quick tour of the ship, was to quickly empty the entire contents of his bag onto the floor of his new cabin. The bag was then lent to the first sailor who seemed to be =on the way to gather more material. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to describe in detail the unique and complex mechanisms that had allowed for the creation of a small, portable portal between his bag and a one particular, well hidden storage space he had one dug out, but the general concept, he hoped, was well understood and would allow for quicker transfer of material. And, therefore, a shorter time before they finally left. As for himself, he handed over his tools to his automaton and headed to where the rudder should have been, to assess the damage and, hopefully, undo some of it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akilej'nah decides to head out to try to gather supplies. She knows that people from the North have incredibly specific tastes in food and might not be suitably impressed by her Sisterhood ties, but she can at least find things pretty well!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    Ongoing Spell Effects: n/a

Yolotli, being as people-savvy as she was, would spot something odd in the area. A well-dressed middle aged human male, likely an official of the provincial government if she had to guess, an elven woman that must be his wife, three half-elven children of varying ages and a group of six guards wearing the symbols of a noble house were standing at the edge of the bustling activity, trying to draw attention but failing to do so with the sailors who were simply taking what they could before getting off the island. There was a pair of luggage chests and a strongbox that must be used for currency in the center of this group, but while the eyes of various people lingered on it, the armaments of the noble's guards -actual spears, shields and breastplates rather than the cudgels and boiled leather that the port authorities were lugging around- made would-be robbers think twice and turn back to taking the supplies they needed instead.
    Yolotli's eyes swept somewhat nervously across the docks as they made their way towards the ship. Hopefully her debtor would be too distracted by the chaos to, ah, deal with her, but she still wasn't ready to dismiss the possibility of being shanked in the back by one of his thugs. Not until she was safely out of this town. And so, in her scanning, the unusual little party off to the edge of the crowds was pretty hard to miss!

"Hellllllllllo hello hello!" Yolotli weaved and bounded through the bustle and up to the fancy-looking family, stopping well away from those pointy-looking spears with a bow and a slight flutter of her wings. "Yolotli, at your service! Whatever that service might be. It, ah, looked like you needed help with something? And I do consider myself to be rather helpful at many things! Or at least, someone who can be helpful at finding someone who is helpful, hah."
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2022-01-03 at 03:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Nahree received some assistance from Davian in pulling the cracked rudder up. The access point being on the same level as Nahree's room made extraction faster, only about five minutes, and once it's out the problem became rather easy to identify. A long crack ran along the rudder's length, creating a branch six inches past the rudder's blade that ran through almost half of the rudder proper. Damage that severe could not be fixed via cantrips and would easily make it far harder for a helmsman to navigate, especially if fine maneuvers were necessary, so this was something that needed to be replaced or repaired. And since securing a replacement would take hours, repairs would be preferable. But how to go about it in a timely manner...?

Akilej'nah would be accompanied by most of the rest of the crew when the captain realized where she was going, though both of the warehouses nearest their location were currently quite crowded and being stripped clean rather quickly. Still, they were large buildings, surely there would be somewhere that hadn't been raided (or were currently being picked at,) though there would likely be many empty crates and barrels in those untouched areas as well.

The other warehouses would be closer to the sounds of discontent and away from the relative safety of the multiple ships worth of crews, which in turn made them much more risky to go towards without competent armed backup. Given she was currently being accompanied by a very drunk woman, two adolescent children, two cooks, a few deckhands with no combat experience they'd advertised, and Companion Caldasier (who might be competent, but was also the only other fighter there,) the risk was something that she would have a hard time convincing the rest of the crew to take.

Yolotli was accompanied by Captain Hekktars as she approached these noble-looking individuals. The woman can't help but look relieved when the tiefling actually stops and talks to them, though the man continues to look a bit stressed and weary and the guards don't relax their vigil now that their charges aren't being ignored. The older child gives Yolotli a wave while the man clears his throat and says, "Finally, someone with proper manners. You know, I may not have been on a ship for a few years, but-"

Cutting in, the captain says, "By the Serpent's teeth, you're the town proctor."

"Well, yes. That's indeed my-" The low level bureaucrat manages to say, before Hekktars throws his head back and begins laughing at something he doesn't seem keen on explaining. "Look, it's a serious job. And while it hasn't made me popular, it has given me a vital role in the community. Not that anyone will be grateful for the service I've pro- would you stop that?"

Having partially folded in on himself, and wheezing a bit at this point, the middle-aged gnoll manages to recover and keep from laughing even harder, wiping at his organic eye as he says, "Alright, alright, sorry, my first mate won't believe this. I take it you'd be wanting to charter a room off this isle, then?" The proctor's wife and children all look at him as he clamps his jaws down and nods, clear desperation keeping his wounded pride in check. "Right. You'll be paying for your passage, and it will be at a premium. I'm certain you'll be able to afford it what with the 'valuable services' you've rendered. And if you want to come on my ship, your guards will be assisting in its protection while it's still in port."

Gesturing to Yolotli, he says, "For now, though, I need to make sure my crew isn't starting a brawl with the other ships, so we'll leave the fine details for after I have some time. My ship's bard here can handle an interview, take names, any useful skills, and collect trivia that you might find helpful for us in the meantime." Before the man has the chance to recover from basically being dismissed, the captain says, "We'll talk again soon." To Yolotli he makes a small gesture to follow and, once out of easy earshot, tells her, "As proctor he likely knows a number of people and places of wealth, power and influence in this city. Try to find out what you can about that. Wealthy passengers might pay a bit, but exotic or useful goods in our hold would hardly go amiss, and picking up a specialist or two couldn't hurt." Patting her shoulder, he begins to make his way back through the crowds to join Akilej'nah in the warehouse.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akilej'nah channels untold generations of scavenging and searching the frozen wastes. Her companion, a refugee from a dark and strange realm that evennthe great explorers had not ventured to, helps immensely...

...but this carcass had been picked pretty clean before they got here, and they have only gristle and marrow to carry back to the ship.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #50

The rudder was cracked badly. Much more so than perhaps the captain realized. The damage ran deep and split off in ways that might have been a good case study for fractals, if there had been any time for that. However, there was not. Nor, for that matter, was there time for any proper repairs, if those were even possible at this point. Certainly not in the time frames that the captain had allowed. The best that Nahree could think of doing at the moment was to slap some basic wood paste into the empty space and sneakily inscribe a small rune of binding, making the whole thing keep together more out of hopes and well-wishes than anything else. But it should keep together for at least long enough for him to have a proper, longer look. Or, at least, until they were out of the current perilous situation. Not that going rudderless wasn't perilous in its own right, but at least it was the kind of peril where people wouldn't be actively trying to harm him specifically. At least, not until they'd allowed him to properly fix the problem.

With his work accomplished. Or, rather, with his options exhausted, Nahree decided to join in with the efforts to bring supplies in. His automaton was more than capable of carrying some large objects, and with surprising speed, but more important was his portal device, which would allow him to carry weight and volume well beyond what a normal person could. As long as the items managed to fit within the opening, at least.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    Ongoing Spell Effects: occasional colorful displays from her Instrument of Illusions

"Yessir!" Yolotli confirmed, before turning and heading back towards the waiting bureaucrat and his entourage. Yolotli wasn't entirely certain what the role of a town proctor was (...something to do with the courts? Her expertise was in culture, not the Imperial legal system, alright?), so if the captain said he had valuable information she was inclined to believe him. And considering what she'd picked up from the conversation just now, she had some idea of how to approach the situation.

"Hello again!" Yolotli said cheerily, once again stopping well short of the pointy spears. "Ah, but, wait, manners! What are all of your names?" she continued, gesturing at the whole group. "I'm rather new here so I don't think we've been introduced yet!"

From there, once the pleasantries were concluded, Yolotli invited them to a somewhat more comfortable spot distanced from the hustle and bustle a bit, and began to talk - careful to keep it feeling like a conversation rather than an interrogation, mixing in enough earnestly eager curiosity and compliments to soothe the proctor's wounded pride, and occasionally stopping to keep the others (especially the children) entertained with a little ditty or display of minor illusion magic from her specially-enchanted violin. By the end of it, she'd asked after all the things the captain had wanted to know about, and (she hoped, anyway!) made a good first impression.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2022-01-15 at 07:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Akilej'nah and Nahree would work with the crew to load everything they could get their hands on, and surprisingly they got enough to actually provision their (admittedly understaffed) crew for at least three days, and enough supplies and medicines to make repairs and medical situations a little bit easier to handle. In fifty minutes, the last of the warehouse had been cleaned out, and one of the other crews was finishing preparations to leave the island.

Part-way through your hauling, Hauke rejoins your crew and he gives both of you and Companion Caldasier a basic Potion of Healing from the Imperial stash that he'd raided. While he says that he hopes you won't need it, he figures he should probably each take one, since you all seem like the most combat capable and thus the most likely to get into trouble in the first place. He also informs you of the other items from the stash, and that he doesn't rightly recall exactly what the wand is meant to be used for.

Yolotli would conduct her interview in this time, and it quickly became obvious that this man was more than just a little bit involved with the local powers as the captain had assumed. First, though, he introduces himself and his family. The proctor is Thomas Taheem, the elf, who is confirmed to be his wife, is Elmedrid, and their children, the oldest two of which are apparently adopted despite their heritage, are Gabriel, Saul and Tyr.

As for what he's able to tell the bard, he seems to know every detail of the port's founding, many of the activities and leaders of major merchant families, and (perhaps expectedly) he's quite well acquainted with the captain of the guard and port authorities. Apparently he was a younger man, almost thirty years so, when he and the mayor purchased land in this location, back when it was a simple fishing village, and they practically built the town from the ground up. Before that they had been sailors on sister vessels, exploring and trading in the archipelago, and it was loyalty to and friendship with the old mayor that both kept Thomas here and earned him the retirement position of town proctor.

With the mayor dead, killed because of the people here and the unrest that they fomented, there is nothing left to hold Thomas to this place, and he's happy to tell you about everything he knows. While the artisan's district will have many of the best trained specialists and workers in town, most of their finished products are not stored in that location. Like other valuable imports and exports, along with the fully aged wines and vinegars from the vineyard, they are kept in the Artisan's Warehouse just past the western end of the docks. He just happens to possess a spare key to that warehouse that he's used in the past to review records and nothing else. (You don't believe his proclamations of innocence, they're far too strained) That key is currently in his estate, however, and he has no desire to go all the way there in the current climate.

Being a freeport there are shrines to most of the major deities and archons here, though few of them have much in the way of practical use or practitioners of divine power. The temples of Dia are the ones that most often tend to the sick and needy within the upper crust of the city, though the disciples of Ilmas operate a clinic in the north-western sprawl of the city and are called upon when particularly virulent outbreaks occur. Kasa has a temple in the artisan district and directly across from it is a shrine to Abu Dhahab, though no one really works at that later location besides the city sweepers set to keeping it clean.

As for the divisions of the town itself, the League has more power in the somewhat wealthier eastern side of town, while the Imperials hold sway in the western. The League, therefore, actually has more educated and specially trained individuals, such as alchemists and physicians, in this place than its proximity to Shaline territory might suggest. Though to be fair, most of the Imperial artisans already left on boats in the weeks prior.

Near the end of your interview one of the guards, an older man who has the tough skin of someone who has been out at sea much of their life, tilts back the visor of his skullcap and informs you that he and two of the other guards are actually from Thomas' original crew, and they still remember how to run a ship even if they might not be as spry as they once were. He also tells you that the proctor allowed their families to live with them on his estate in the governing district, where they served as house staff or aides, but that said families were left behind when this group came out to inspect the progress on the proctor's new estate. If you are able to get them out, the old sailors are willing to assist you as deck hands until you reach your next destination, and he hints that if you give them a promise that you will rescue their families from the riots, they will be willing to stand guard at the docks to keep your ship safe regardless of what Thomas tells them. This later hint draws a strained look from the proctor, but you quickly smooth it over and get the bureaucrat talking again.

Thomas confirms that the families are there, and promises a bounty for each person you manage to save. He also puts in a request that, should you go to the governing district, you also rescue the mayor's family... if they are still alive. The mayor had a wife, a son that was the heir to his estates and worked as the captain of his house guard, an infant daughter and a nephew who is intolerable, but still family. His wife requests that you retrieve the books from her shelves should you visit her estate, along with the locket on her nightstand, and says that you can have any of her other jewelry should you desire it as compensation.

And with that, you have all the information that you deem relevant that you can get from this group. Thomas and his entourage begin making their way towards the Ragamender, intent on getting their things settled in their cabin.

All of you gather together once your tasks are done, and captain Hekktars gestures for you all to huddle in close so he can talk to you. "Good job everyone, looks like we've got enough for about half the trip to the next port large enough to be worth our time from that warehouse, though I'd still like more of everything to be comfortable so we should prepare for a trip to the eastern warehouse district. We're still going to need more crew as well, and given what was in that Imperial stash, it's going to be worth it to claim every one of those that we can get our hands on. Yolotli, what did our finely-dressed guest have to say that was of any value?"

Spoiler: Current time
    Show
    The current time is 2:50pm. Sunset is at 8pm.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    Ongoing Spell Effects: colorful, questionably-accurate map display from Instrument of Illusions

Yolotli related everything she'd heard from the proctor; no especial reason to hide any of it, really. She particularly emphasized the parts immediately relevant to their situation: the families trapped in the government district, and the Artisan's Warehouse full of valuable, possibly magical goods.

"I think it'd be a very, very good idea to help those people, and definitely to look in the Artisan's Warehouse too. It'll have some valuable trade goods, and...well, I suppose the magical stuff could be medicine or, um, explosives, but either way it'll probably be helpful? But...hm..."

With a couple sharp notes from her violin, Yolotli summons up a small, colorful illusory map of the city as she understands it.

"...it does seem like a lot of ground to cover in just a few hours...should we split up? Or would that be too dangerous..." Yolotli half-mumbles, still playing the simple violin tune. She looks as though she's thinking through something, but waits momentarily for her captain and crewmates' inputs.

24. - Top - End - #54

"If you're sending people to another warehouse, then might I suggest lending one of them my portable portal device?' Nahree suggested. "I think everyone's been witness to its efficacy. As for me, I know some things about locks. I might be able to get us into the Artisan's Warehouse without needing a key or any more... brutal measures. Otherwise, I'd also like to go visit the dockmaster's. They might know of some boat or other that won't be sailing but has some parts that we could use. Though, of course, I might need coin for negotiations." He sighed. This constant need for coin. It was so much easier back in the swamp. "But I do think that the sooner we get the people we need, the more we'll be able to do in the time we have."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Yolotli, I can go with you to rescue the family of the Mayor. Whatever politics might be between the Sisterhood and the Empire- the one thing, IDIX' first law, we never leave anyone behind!"

This, this was a mission she was both suited for and could get behind. Ghuls were poor longshoremen at best, but even as untested and unbloodied as the Sisterhood was against merely mortal threats, they were the fanatics who hunted the Revenants into near extinction. Escorting a few dozen goblinoids across a few miles in broad daylight should not be beyond a force led by even a junior sister.

"We have enough supplies to get to another port, in my opinion, the most important things now are lives and currency " said the aristocratic heir to a world spanning organization devoted to solidarity who furthermore could live comfortably on literal garbage.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Nahree takes a look at the wand, but beyond knowing that he would need to attune to it in order to use the magic item he can't identify its exact properties. If he did attune to it, he'd likely know what the item did... though that could cause problems if it was cursed for some reason.

The captain grunts at Akilej'nah's statement and he mumbles, "The mayor wasn't even in support of the Empire... which is why the factions have gotten so out of hand, I suppose." But he shakes his head and scratches his prosthetic hand through the scruff of his undermuzzle. "Still, it makes sense to go to the government district. More high-value passengers, and that key from the proctor to access the Artisan's warehouse... that could solve our money and cargo problem rather easily. Though I will note, the longer we wait to recruit at the longhouses and claim cargo from the eastern warehouse district, the fewer sailors and the less supplies we will have." Smirking at the sister-wayfinder again he says, "Not all of us are used to eating one meal a day, after all."

Davian grunts at that, having come from the ship now that your guests and the supplies you already gathered have been secured, and he says, "Well captain, if I go to a longhouse and gather enough souls who know their ass from their hands and know their way in a scrap, I can handle the warehouse issues. If I take the bard with, and some muscle to keep the more unruly folk back, I'd probably be a bit more successful." He gives Yolotli a nod while Hauke lifts his hand.

"I should also get to the eastern longhouse as quickly as possible so that I can get the Empire cache. The longer we wait the more time imperial sympathizers that are ready to fight have to claim it themselves. Also, the more people I have with me, or the fewer there are in the longhouse, the less chance there is someone will try to take the stuff once I retrieve it." The experienced sailor points out.

"Aye, we shouldn't send you off on your own." The dragonborn responds, though his tone hints that it's not out of concern for Hauke's safety. "But you are an experienced deckhand, so you know how to haul, and you know how to fight, so I'd be bringing you with regardless. Perhaps if our Boatswain's automaton could help as well...? Bah, no, that should go with the kobold if another group is entering the city. But I'm not too concerned with leaving the ship for an hour or two. Those guards might be old, but they're experienced. As long as you're here, Cap, you should be able to hold off a smaller mob."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akilej'nah gets ready to set out. She definitely thinks she looks fierce in her black wool hoodie, her near-spherical three feet of might daring anyone to question the power of The Sisterhood!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #58

"Oh, yes, my automaton absolutely needs to stay with my," Nahree said. "The portable portal device only needs adjustments once every day or so to prevent catastrophic randomization events, but this one needs almost constant supervision, so that it doesn't... well..." He hesitated. "Let's say it's just better if it comes with me." Of course, much more than having valuable cargo, he was worried about their ship being in a condition to sail. He was a boatswain, after all. And with their rudder still not in the best condition and their sail missing. But the plan was forged, it seemed. He left his portable portal device with Davian and returned to his room to pick through his possessions, which currently littered the floor, for those tools which would be the most useful and, importantly, the most portable. This done, he returned to the group. "So I understand we three are going on the rescue mission?" he asked.