New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Oath of Stone Paladin Subclass

Oath of Stone
    (Paladin subclass)

Tenets of Stone
    Patience before action. Don’t make haste. Given long enough, a path will open before you. Endure any insult and do not be provoked into action. Even the greatest empires erode before the mountains.

No virtue in pleasure. Pleasure is neither good or bad, but can be a distraction. It is should only be sough out if it doesn’t interfere with your quest or purpose. Be slow to indulge

Transformation under pressure. You are a stone in the rough, and change should not come easy. Only through intense training or experiences can one grow stronger. Seek out adversity and challenge for they will temper you.

No stone left unturned. The truths of this world are not written on its surface, but lie beneath. Seek out what is not obvious and reveal the forces that shape the present.

Oath Spells

You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of Stone spells
    | Paladin Level | Spells |
    |:----:|:-------------|
    | 3rd | Earth Tremor, Shield |
    | 5th | Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Shatter |
    | 9th | Erupting Earth, Slow |
    | 13th | Stone shape, Gravity Sinkhole |
    | 17th | Wall of Stone, Conjure Volley |

Channel Divinity
    (3rd level)

You gain the following two Channel Divinity Options. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how Channel Divinity works.

Earthen Aegis. You can use your Channel Divinity to conjure a protective layer of sediment, stone or crystal. As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol to place a protective ward on yourself or a creature within 30 feet of you which grants the following effects for 1 minute:
    • +1 AC
    • Immunity to Poison Damage
    • Ignore effects of Difficult Terrain

If the creature with this ward or you are incapacitated, this effect ends

Seismic Cleave. You can use your Channel Divinity to cleave the ground beneath your feat. Whenever you hit a creature, you may cause a 15 ft cone from the targeted creature to erupt with a seismic blast. Each creature in the area is dealt force damage equal to your Charisma modifier and must make a Strength Saving throw (equal to your spell save DC) or be knocked prone.

Aura of Magnetism
    (7th level)

Starting at 7th level, you emanate an aura of magnetic attraction while you’re not incapacitated. When an enemy makes a ranged weapon attack targeting a creature of your choosing within your aura, they must make a Charisma Save or the attack targets you instead. Melee weapon attacks against a creature of your choosing in this aura must first succeed a Strength Save or the attack is directed towards you instead. If the failing creature is not in melee range of you already, they are either pulled into melee with you to perform their attack or can drop their weapon and perform no attack instead.
    When you reach 18th level in this class, the range of the aura increases to 30 feet.

Impact Crater
    (15th level)

At 15th level, your blows disrupt the ground and leave large craters. When you land a melee weapon attack on a creature and use Divine Smite, you can create an area of difficult terrain that extends 15 feet from the targeted creature. You may use the ability a number of times equal to your strength modifier per long rest.

One with the Earth
    (20th level)

At 20th level, you can harness the power of earth elementals and become an immovable object. As an action, you gain the following benefits for 1 minute:
    • You are resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
    • You gain any benefits of the Earth Glide spell but can move up to half your movement speed
    • You deal double damage to objects and structures
    • You gain 3 uses of Legendary Resistance (if you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead).

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Hoping to get some feedback on balancing this and making sure it isn't too strong or weak. Feel like the spell list and channel divinities need some work. I was thinking of switching up seismic cleave channel divinity and impact crater. Like have a minute-long effect where your attacks generate difficult terrain but at level 15 you can use smites to hit in a 15 ft cone with a chance to knock over enemies prone. Was also thinking of buffing the earthen aegis ability but having it half the creatures movement speed who has it. Let me know what yall think!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Oath of Stone Paladin Subclass

sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry too much about it — people tend to ignore homebrew threads unless they're either from a small number of popular homebrewers, you heavily screwed something up, or the subclass particularly piqued their fancy.

I was going to give the subclass a look-over, but since you're being so demanding I probably shouldn't...

The Spell List
    Where is Gravity Sinkhole from? I've never heard of that spell before. I'd also strongly advise against giving the Paladin Shield as an Oath spell — you're already heavily encouraged to run around in plate and a shield, so Shield is effectively "you can spend a 1st level spell slot to turn a hit into a miss". It might be fine, given that Paladins want to burn their spell slots on Divine Smite... but it still doesn't feel right.

Channel Divinity Options
    Of the two Channel Divinities here, Earthen Aegis is by far the strongest. +1 AC is really good in 5e, and "I deal 3-5 damage and knock you prone if you fail a save" is really wimpy. I like the "put Impact Crater here" idea, honestly.

Aura of Magnetism
    Why do ranged attackers need to make a Charisma save? I'm legitimately confused about why you decided that that's the right mechanic for this. I think you could actually go as far as to make the retargeting automatic for metallic ranged weapons.

One With The Earth
    This should describe the benefits of Earth Glide. Also... why does this give you Legendary Resistance?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tungstonia View Post
    Oath of Stone
    (Paladin subclass)

Tenets of Stone
    Patience before action. Don’t make haste. Given long enough, a path will open before you. Endure any insult and do not be provoked into action. Even the greatest empires erode before the mountains.

No virtue in pleasure. Pleasure is neither good or bad, but can be a distraction. It is should only be sough out if it doesn’t interfere with your quest or purpose. Be slow to indulge

Transformation under pressure. You are a stone in the rough, and change should not come easy. Only through intense training or experiences can one grow stronger. Seek out adversity and challenge for they will temper you.

No stone left unturned. The truths of this world are not written on its surface, but lie beneath. Seek out what is not obvious and reveal the forces that shape the present.
    I'd steal "Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain".

Oath Spells

You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of Stone spells
    | Paladin Level | Spells |
    |:----:|:-------------|
    | 3rd | Earth Tremor, Shield |
    | 5th | Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Shatter |
    | 9th | Erupting Earth, Slow |
    | 13th | Stone shape, Gravity Sinkhole |
    | 17th | Wall of Stone, Conjure Volley |
    Conjure Volley is a bit strange. You could restrict it to sling stones only.

Shield is an extremely strong spell to give as a bonus spell.

Channel Divinity
    (3rd level)

You gain the following two Channel Divinity Options. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how Channel Divinity works.

Earthen Aegis. You can use your Channel Divinity to conjure a protective layer of sediment, stone or crystal. As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol to place a protective ward on yourself or a creature within 30 feet of you which grants the following effects for 1 minute:
    • +1 AC
    • Immunity to Poison Damage
    • Ignore effects of Difficult Terrain

If the creature with this ward or you are incapacitated, this effect ends
    Dynamic small AC bonuses are a bad plan. The absolute minimum should be +2.

I'd lean into this myself, and make it self only. Turning yourself into a living golem at higher levels. But that doesn't fit the channel divinity system much.

Seismic Cleave. You can use your Channel Divinity to cleave the ground beneath your feat. Whenever you hit a creature, you may cause a 15 ft cone from the targeted creature to erupt with a seismic blast. Each creature in the area is dealt force damage equal to your Charisma modifier and must make a Strength Saving throw (equal to your spell save DC) or be knocked prone.
    15 foot cone starting with yourself including the creature you hit?

Cha mod damage is going to be so small I wouldn't want to track it. Either justify it being bigger or nix it.

Aura of Magnetism
    (7th level)

Starting at 7th level, you emanate an aura of magnetic attraction while you’re not incapacitated. When an enemy makes a ranged weapon attack targeting a creature of your choosing within your aura, they must make a Charisma Save or the attack targets you instead. Melee weapon attacks against a creature of your choosing in this aura must first succeed a Strength Save or the attack is directed towards you instead. If the failing creature is not in melee range of you already, they are either pulled into melee with you to perform their attack or can drop their weapon and perform no attack instead.
    When you reach 18th level in this class, the range of the aura increases to 30 feet.
    This is going to be save spam pain. Imagine a hydra making attacks.

And this is constantly on.

This is also pretty much the strongest "tanking" ability in 5e that I am aware of.

Tone it down and make it less full of overhead.
    Impact Crater
    (15th level)

At 15th level, your blows disrupt the ground and leave large craters. When you land a melee weapon attack on a creature and use Divine Smite, you can create an area of difficult terrain that extends 15 feet from the targeted creature. You may use the ability a number of times equal to your strength modifier per long rest.
    This is very close to the channel divinity ability above. Also, "extends 15 feet" doesn't define a region.

One with the Earth
    (20th level)

At 20th level, you can harness the power of earth elementals and become an immovable object. As an action, you gain the following benefits for 1 minute:
    • You are resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
    • You gain any benefits of the Earth Glide spell but can move up to half your movement speed
    • You deal double damage to objects and structures
    • You gain 3 uses of Legendary Resistance (if you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead).

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
    A full action for a 1 minute effect is expensive.

Why nonmagical weapons?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Where is Gravity Sinkhole from? I've never heard of that spell before.
    It's from Explorer's Guide to Wildmount, which also contains the School of Graviturgy Wizard.

Of the two Channel Divinities here, Earthen Aegis is by far the strongest. +1 AC is really good in 5e, and "I deal 3-5 damage and knock you prone if you fail a save" is really wimpy. I like the "put Impact Crater here" idea, honestly.
    Meh, I think getting +1 AC for 1 minute 1/day* is fine. Probably the strongest effect is the emergency immunity to poison. If you're really worried say you can't AC bonus doesn't apply while benefiting from a shield.

*It requires a cleric multiclass to use repeatedly, and at 9th level 2/day isn't an issue either. It can't be used 3/day until 20th level.

To steal something from a channel divinity option I've been working on, you could have the cone effect make the targets prone and restrained on the surface they're standing on. That would scale better and last longer, plus "trapped in the ground" should fit thematically.

Why do ranged attackers need to make a Charisma save? I'm legitimately confused about why you decided that that's the right mechanic for this. I think you could actually go as far as to make the retargeting automatic for metallic ranged weapons.
    I second the confusion. If the weapon is attracted make it automatic. If the effect is on creatures is probably should only apply to attackers inside the aura.

I assume the final feature is based on the Investiture of Stone spell, but between the shorter duration and the higher level it should really be a stronger effect: druids can even cast it before using wild shape, so they've been getting similar benefits since 11th level (and using it while a beast since 18th).

On top of the lackluster effect, monster features aren't universal in 5e. The earth glide effect should say "You gain a burrow speed equal to half your movement speed. You can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone without disturbing the material you move through." Legendary Resistance (which shouldn't use the name either) also overlaps somewhat with Aura of Protection, so while it will last a while, that's because the benefit is pretty marginal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Spell List
    Where is Gravity Sinkhole from? I've never heard of that spell before. I'd also strongly advise against giving the Paladin Shield as an Oath spell — you're already heavily encouraged to run around in plate and a shield, so Shield is effectively "you can spend a 1st level spell slot to turn a hit into a miss". It might be fine, given that Paladins want to burn their spell slots on Divine Smite... but it still doesn't feel right.
    I also am torn on Shield being too strong on a paladin, might consider replacing it with absorb elements? But popular multiclass builds with sorcerer or warlock get this as well without being too game-breaking; at the cost lower hp dice. Also going to replace conjure volley with transmute rock.

Channel Divinity Options
    In reviewing what I originally posted, the channel divinities needed a fair amount of work. I think Earthen Aegis could be fixed by adding a nerf that halves movement speed while active, removing the difficult terrain immunity, and adding immunity to being pushed and pulled.

Might scrap seismic cleave in favor of Impact crater for the second channel divinity. The flavor and theme of creating difficult terrain with powerful, earthshattering blows needs to come online much earlier. I'll try this instead:

Impact crater. As an action, you empower your blows and disrupt the earth beneath you; leaving large craters. For 1 minute you add your charisma modifier to damage from any melee weapon attack (minimum of +1). On a hit, you can choose to create an area of difficult terrain that extends 10 feet from the target. Additionally, you attacks deal double damage to objects and structures for the duration

Aura of Magnetism
    The Charisma save was a fairly poor attempt to not make the aura too broken, but I agree it doesn't make much sense in hindsight. This was my first attempt at homebrewing a subclass, so I don't have a super acute sense of how strong/weak some of these abilities are. Even if a bit clunky, this aura is my favorite aspect of the class as it provides a more direct way to draw aggro as a pally not found in other Oaths. Hopefully, this wording fixes it a bit.

Aura of Magnetism
    Ranged weapon attack with metallic ammo made against a creature of your choosing within the aura are automatically redirected to target you instead. Melee weapon attacks made against a creature of your choosing in this aura must first succeed a Strength Save or the attack targets you instead. If the failing creature making a melee attack is not in melee range of you already, they are pulled into melee with you to perform their attack.

One With The Earth
    This should describe the benefits of Earth Glide. Also... why does this give you Legendary Resistance?
    I was hoping to take a note from the Earth Elemental to get something akin to that. Think the wording there is "The elemental can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone. While doing so, the elemental doesn't disturb the material it moves through.". This can be broken as you can't be directly targetted by spells and only receive opportunity attacks if you pop up, attack, and burrow on your turn. But it is a capstone ability, so maybe it's fine being really really hard to hit for a minute. The Legendary Resistance thing was just tacked on, not given intrinsically from the Earth Glide stuff.