New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spirit Binding from Complete Arcane

Complete Arcane errata has a definition of spirit creatures.

For the purposes of the commune with greater spirit, commune with lesser spirit, greater spirit binding, lesser spirit binding, spirit binding, spirit needle, and spirit self spells, a “spirit” or “spirit creature” includes any of the following creatures: all incorporeal undead, all fey, all elementals, creatures in astral form or with astral bodies (but not a creature physically present on the Astral Plane), all creatures of the spirit subtype (see Oriental Adventures), spirit folk and telthors (see Unapproachable East), and spirit creatures created by spells such as dream sight or wood wose (see Complete Divine).
    Has anyone done anything with spirit binding? Binding creatures in astral form seems interesting. How would that even work? Also, would Malconvoker's abilities have synergy?

This spell functions as lesser planar binding (see page 262 of the Player's Handbook), except that it allows you to call and trap a single spirit creature of up to 8 Hit Dice.
    The door would be open to a lenient DM, for certain.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Spirit Binding from Complete Arcane

Could you technically use those spells to summon a caster using Astral Projection?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Could you technically use those spells to summon a caster using Astral Projection?
    I don't know of any other creatures in "astral form", so I'd say yes. Does anyone know anything about this?

4. - Top - End - #4

Spirits also include pretty much all fey and elementals too. So there’s a LOT of spell-like abilities you get access to. Of note it’s worth using this kind of ability to get some elemental grues to crack em open for their spell item, a redcap for its bits, and a ton of soggy water fae who exist to drown people for their druid spells
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

5. - Top - End - #5

I guess because this is a Wu Jen spell no one knows. binding fey seems pretty cool. Still confused about binding creatures in astral form.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Spirit binding appeared for the first time in 3.0 Oriental Adventures. 3.0 was, from what I remember, weird about astral shape. Sourcebooks were contradictory, but apparently some books assumed that any extraplanar being that entered the Astral was in astral shape, not just those that use Astral Projection. (I also vaguely remember some book acting like astral travellers were "present" on the Material, like etheral travellers are.)

So when Complete Divine and Complete Arcane did a bit of spirit stuff, they copied the text from Oriental Adventures, including this whole astral thing. At least, that's what i believe is the reason for this.

7. - Top - End - #7

d20 Re: Spirit Binding from Complete Arcane

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post

So when Complete Divine and Complete Arcane did a bit of spirit stuff, they copied the text from Oriental Adventures, including this whole astral thing. At least, that's what i believe is the reason for this.
    That makes sense.

I wader what the best spirit binds would be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

tongue Re: Spirit Binding from Complete Arcane

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    That makes sense.

I wader what the best spirit binds would be.
    A high-level caster who was unlucky enough to be projecting when you cast it, of course
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

For the purposes of the commune with greater spirit, commune with lesser spirit, greater spirit binding, lesser spirit binding, spirit binding, spirit needle, and spirit self spells, a “spirit” or “spirit creature” includes any of the following creatures: all incorporeal undead, all fey, all elementals, creatures in astral form or with astral bodies (but not a creature physically present on the Astral Plane), all creatures of the spirit subtype (see Oriental Adventures), spirit folk and telthors (see Unapproachable East), and spirit creatures created by spells such as dream sight or wood wose (see Complete Divine).
    Interestingly, that would mean eventually a 15th level Wu Jen could bind a Rimefire Witch 10, a Spirit Shaman 20, a Swanmay 5, a Wildrunner 9, and a Winterhaunt 10.

I guess that could be used for some fun.

10. - Top - End - #10

Greater Spirit Binding can allows calling creatures up to 18 HD. Therefore, if you DM will allow licensed Dark Sun 3.5e material, you can call a Pyreen. A Pyreen has 16 HD and casts as a druid and manifests as a psion of its racial HD.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Spirit binding appeared for the first time in 3.0 Oriental Adventures. 3.0 was, from what I remember, weird about astral shape. Sourcebooks were contradictory, but apparently some books assumed that any extraplanar being that entered the Astral was in astral shape, not just those that use Astral Projection. (I also vaguely remember some book acting like astral travellers were "present" on the Material, like etheral travellers are.)

The errata definition of a spirit creature does specifically preclude travellers physically present on the astral plane, so plane shifting to the astral plane: not a spirit creature, astral projecting to the astral plane: a spirit creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    You could bind their astral form specifically, but they could just kill themselves and recast astral projection.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    The errata definition of a spirit creature does specifically preclude travellers physically present on the astral plane, so plane shifting to the astral plane: not a spirit creature, astral projecting to the astral plane: a spirit creature.
    That's what I meant: 3.0 had mostly everybody as astral projections on the Astral, even if they entered through a portal, for example. So astral creatures were more common, which makes it "sensible" to include that in the spirit definition as astral people are a lot more common.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

In terms of sheer power I'm quite sure that one of the most powerful targets for the spell is the Siabrie, a creature that can in the first place shapechange at will, has a SoL gaze attack (although you may want to keep it deactivated, since it may affect also you and your party), and has a lot of SLA's with a druidic feel.