New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Adventures In Oakenleaf [IC]

OOC Thread

It's a good day. The morning of the Harvest Festival-a day to relax and celebrate the bounties of the year past, and the good fortunes to come in the year ahead.

Calun was allowed to sleep in by Pendal-she'll still be up bright and early, but he can take it easy for the day.
    Rura awakens from her little bed in the Patterson's house, where she fell asleep. She and James spent the whole night talking and talking about this and that.
    Ember has two invitations, one of which should be answered, at least-Nina has asked him to help with the shrines today, and Minnet wants to know if he can help man the bar for a bit, so she can take breaks.
    Eithne comes into the village from her little home outside it, and spies Clarissa up bright and early, readying some fireworks for later.

The village is still quiet as the sun rises, Pendal's hammers are the loudest sound, as most have slept in on this day of celebration.
    What will you do?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-10-25 at 11:38 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Adventures In Oakenleaf [IC]

Calin is up early, Pendal had said he could sleep in, but his body was used to early rising, and the work got done twice as fast of he helped.
    He was up with Pendal, leather apron and gloves on, side by side at the anvils. He promised her it was just for the morning, he'd go take the day off before lunch time. He could meet up woth ember then hopefully. But for now, he wanted to try and expedite there work, maybe pull some relaxation tome out for his guardian as well.
    Plus, Molly would be free today, and it was better to appear busy for as long as possible.

3. - Top - End - #3

Pendal gives a small smile when she sees Calin awake bright and early. She doesn't say anything, but wordlessly accepts his help on the projects that NEED to be done. Despite the dwarf's strong work ethic, even she takes the day off for the less essential stuff on the Festival day.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ember rises from the straw mattress in the middle of his small bedroom, which is surrounded by a collection of worn furniture. Like most Oakenleaf residents, he has slept in a bit, trying to ignore the crowing lessons of the neighbor's young rooster.

After washing and having a small breakfast, he dresses and then pauses for a moment in front of his armor pedestal. Should he wear his chainmail? Would it impress Minnet? Or would she rather see him relaxed? Ember curses softly. Along with his infatuation had come a new insecurity, which he could well do without.

Deciding against the armor, but for his sword, he leaves the small house, which Michael had helped him build several years ago. Alright, he ponders, breathing in the fresh air, smelling the autumn in it. First things first. Let Minnet know that you'll help, and then go talk to Nina. With that, he heads towards the inn.

Description (Click here for an image.):

Ember is a Tiefling about 20 years old, with a large statue and broad shoulders. In his skin color are represented various shades of red. His head has something devilish, with its two horns turned backwards. He wears his brown hair in a few smaller braids and a stubble beard covers the lower part of his face. Wrapped around his left horn he wears a small pendant on a leather strap -- the only item that vaguely resembles an heirloom. His eyes are like glowing coals; mostly black but flickering red here and there. He wears clothes of gray and white, and a sword at his belt. The people of Oakenleaf also know him in his armor, which he does not wear today.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2021-10-25 at 06:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Minnet is yawning when Ember finds her, grabbing some well water. "Morning Ember," she says.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It took a far while for Rura-Tae to wriggle out from the nest of blankets she always ensconced herself within. First came a taloned, bird-like foot, stretching out from under a corner. Then the blankets were lifted as wings half-unfolded. Finally, the bird emerged, blue eyes bleary and curly black hair tangled.

First things first: she checked for her lyre, gave it a test strum, and began combing her hair into a mediocum of order. Clothing, a sling tied around her waist like a belt, and chirped good mornings to the others as they began their own little morning rituals.

She never did like eating right after waking up. Once she met the human standards of modesty, she opened the window and leapt out, spreading her pinions.

Once again, she was in the air, and never was there a feeling to compare and she flapped and raised herself higher into the air. She looked down at the village seeing if there was anything to spot from her bird's eye view.
    Last edited by Awful; 2021-10-25 at 06:09 PM.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

7. - Top - End - #7

Out to the west of the village, there's a bit of smoke. A glance there shows no spreading fires, so probably just some traveler's campfire.

The village is still awakening-Minnet and Ember are near the well, but most people aren't out yet.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Minnet is yawning when Ember finds her, grabbing some well water. "Morning Ember," she says.
    "Oh, hi," he tries to act all casual. "Looking forward to the festivities? I mean, I know you'll be busy, but we can share the work." He gives her a big smile, realizes it might be too big, and tones it down a bit. "Here, let me get this for you. he offers to help her with the buckets. "I mean, not that you couldn't do it on your own, of course," he adds, well aware of her capabilities of doing her job.

9. - Top - End - #9

Ember can see her roll her eyes a little. "Thanks, but I got it. Gotta build those muscles, after all," she says. "Though while I'm filling this one, mind getting another bucket? We're probably gonna need a lot of water today-my dad's gonna try to make sure everyone stays hydrated enough to stop the worst of the hangovers."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Ember

"Sure thing," he replies and proceeds accordingly. Just play it cool, you're coming on way too thick. The thoughts race through his head, while he gets the bucket. Wait for the evening, maybe an opportunity arises. Maybe... He slightly shrugs, well-knowing that she might not reciprocate his feelings. Careful, don't want to lose a friend, either.

Assuming that he will find two or three buckets, he brings them to the well, and -- if not interrupted -- helps her to bring the water to the inn, pursuing their usual friendly chit chat and talking about the day's procedure.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I was not sure if I should "fast forward" -- his plan would be to help Minnet a bit with some of those early preparations and then leave for the shrine to help Nina.

11. - Top - End - #11

Minnet and Ember fill the buckets, taking them to the Xeres' inn. Ember manages to avoid putting his foot in his mouth too badly, and Minnet thanks him for the help when they're done. "You're always there for me-for all of us, really," she says. "I know not everyone is going to be so kind... I just want you to know you're appreciated, okay?"

Ember manages a good thank you to Minnet in turn, before rushing off to Nina to hide his blush. He finds her with a rag, wiping down some of the small idols at the shrine. "Morning, Ember!" she says, chipper. "Any visitations from the Hierarchy? I know, I know-you haven't had them before, but I still have faith that you'll hear from them someday."

Show
    Ember has not had any visions, hearings, or anything like that from any deities.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Ember slightly raises his shoulder, taking a somewhat apologetic stance. "Nope, nothing." He neither sounds sad nor disappointed, but she knows that he grew ever more curious about his own origins and where exactly his powers come from -- something a higher calling could give answers to. "But, who knows, maybe one day, eh?"

Rolling up his sleeves and giving her a warm smile, he asks "So, how can I help?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The fall harvest was a wonderful time. Festivals, the colors, and cooler weather that chased away the summer heat. This particular morning Eithne regretted that last bit. A shiver was what roused her from her simple cot. With a drafty house like this, one needed at blanket or two to stave off the chill. The threadbare one she currently possessed would not be up to the task apparently. Luckily, the festival offered the chance to buy a new one with the little coin she'd scrounged up. Padding over to her fireplace, flames licking along her fingers, she started her day.

After a brief trek she emerged from the edge of the forest and entered the town proper, the ringing of paired hammers greeting her. She was wrapped in her usual robes, freshly laundered from last night. Ember was already up. She waved, but the tiefling seemed to have other things on his mind. If she looked up she might've spotted Rura-Tae. They'd catch up later.

For now though, Clarissa seemed to be prepping her display. Wondering what kind of show the gnome was going to put on tonight suitably piqued her curiosity. With no other prospects of promises, she wandered over.

"Hello Clarissa," Eithne's even tone trended towards cheery, "Do you need any help tonight?"

Spoiler: Image
    Show
    Last edited by herastor; 2021-10-26 at 10:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... Well, it might be fun to get first drop on any travellers - see if they'd. Come for the festival, too, or would at least be interested in visiting. The more the merrier, and all that.

With a cheery chirp she winged west, looking from the travellers.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

15. - Top - End - #15

Nina smiles at Ember, and starts leading him through a few rituals. He's done it before, but it's been a while.

Clarissa startles a little, not having seen Eithne's approach. "Hm? Who? Oh!" she says, and then frantically reaches for a rolling tube trying to escape. "Sorry! Sorry, didn't see you there! And, well, any chance you can check the weather? I'm setting up some for early today, but I don't know if it'll be worth it for a nightly display."

Rura can see that the fires are considerably distant-she risks missing the festival herself if she wants to get the drop on them!

Show
    You can go west if you like. But, DM note-doing so will bring considerable danger to yourself-that's where the bad news bears are coming from.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

After finishing his work for the day Calin decides to drop by the bar to look for Ember. He's genuinely excited to show his friend his breakthroughs with the Alchemy jug. He just got it making more than rough grain alcohol, and Wine is a rare occurrence in the village. Today seems like a good time to produce some.
    He enters the bar and waves with a small smile.

"How's business?" he asks with a small smile at the barkeep.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Eithne Black Lv. 2 Wildfire Druid

"No, no! Don't apologize," Eithne laughed, "It's my fault for not using the road like a sane person. Of course I'll help."

While Clarissa gathered herself and her fireworks, Eithne rolled up her sleeve to reveal the ash totem tied to her wrist. Considering how flammable her magic could be she took a few steps back so she wouldn't accidentally set off one of the rockets. She whispered to the small, burnt stone and it ignited in her hand. From within those flames Eithne began to divine an answer...

Show
    Doing a little exploration into formatting.

Eithne is using druidcraft's weather prediction option. What will the weather be like for the next 24 hours?
    Last edited by herastor; 2021-10-27 at 03:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

The weather looks to be clear. A few big clouds early in the day, but no rain-good weather for fireworks!

Calin stops by the Xeres' inn, and sees Logan setting up rows of mugs, ready to be filled with ale. He nods at Calin, and Minerva, who is currently sitting at a table near the bar, asks "Would you like a drink, sweetie?"

The day winds on, and people start to awaken properly. They move out of their homes, talking and laughing. Clarissa sets off a few early fireworks, much to the delight of the children. Michael and a few of his older kids finish work on the stage that Mayor Meekly will be speaking from later. Logan and Minerva keep the ale flowing freely, though Minerva does make sure everyone's getting plenty of water to help stave off hangovers.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Iittle bit early in the day for me, I'm afraid. I'm actually looking for Ember, do you know where he might be?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Ember

Nina smiles at Ember, and starts leading him through a few rituals. He's done it before, but it's been a while.
    Ember accepts her guidance gladly: The last think he wants to do is mess up the rituals in front of everyone, particularly those who care a lot about it, like Nina or Michael. Fortunately, once he gets into the flow, rituals are not so difficult for him. Not as easy as swordplay, but less difficult than most other crafts.

"So... What are you looking forward to most today, Nina? Apart the rituals, I mean." He knows well how important they are to her, and his words are not mocking.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Some good news. Other than the clouds this morning, we should have a clear day."

Her part with the fireworks finished, Eithne tarried there. She watched as Clarrisa arranged it all. She didn't really have anything to say. She just exuded an appreciation for the gnome’s hard work. Here time here, with these people, it had mellowed her somewhat. Mellowed enough that she felt the same spark that the children did when the charges smote the sky.
    After she finished lingering, her next destination resided further in town. It wasn't Nina or Alicia. The Carpenter girl would find her in her own time and Nina would have enough of her plate today. She'd find the Shrinekeeper after her rites were concluded. No, the inn was her next stop. She rapped on the frame called her, "Hello!" from outside. An old habit Bellona had augered into her. Always announce yourself at a door, least ye be intruded upon without a word in turn.

"Logan," she began as she crossed the threshold, scarf unwinding, "Can I leave some of my things here until tonight. They'll do me no good without a chill."

22. - Top - End - #22

Thinking for a moment before, Nina says "I think it'd either be the Mayor's speech, or the fireworks. I know most people find his speeches really boring, but... He's just so earnest with them. It's good to see. And the fireworks, well, Clarissa always has good stuff there!"

Logan nods. "I can keep it behind the bar for you," he says.

Minerva comes over to Eithne, and offers to take her overgarments. "It's good to see you. How's the forest been treating you?"

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Thank you," she gave Calun a quiet wave and sat next to him, passing her hat, scarf and cloak to Minerva. She was tempted to ask him where Rura and Ember were, but he seemed preoccupied. While she was there, since they were being offered, she partook of the ale at the bar. She had no tongue for the stuff, but she could tell it was good.

"It's good to see you too Minerva. The forest has been very quiet so far. Not like when I first arrived. Perhaps it's finally acclimated to my presence. Though it may not have to worry about my tending anymore if I can't acclimate to the cold this year. Hopefully I can find a blanket on offer today. Something with a little more color to it than my last one."

She took another drink from her glass and laughed a little, "Listen to me, I'm rambling. How about you Minerva? Anything going on in town?"

24. - Top - End - #24

"Well..." Minerva says, a sly grin on her face. "I hear Adam has been corresponding with a young man from the city. You remember, that blue-eyed guy who came with his mother, for... Gods, what was it even? 'Property evaluation,' I think it was-something something taxes. Didn't change much, but apparently they hit it off. He's writing a letter every day, though he doesn't send all of them. I don't know if he's trying for a romance, or just excited to have a city friend, but regardless... It's good to see him so engaged."

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There was a smile that started to tug at Eithne's lips as Minerva talked. Adam had a rough time of it there for a while. There's nothing quite like being "different" in a small town. Ember could attest to that. He deserved to find someone.

"I do remember him, actually, but I can't recall the name either. I don't think I even saw his mother while they were here. But you're right, that is some good news. So what are your plans today? Do you need any help around here?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Thinking for a moment before, Nina says "I think it'd either be the Mayor's speech, or the fireworks. I know most people find his speeches really boring, but... He's just so earnest with them. It's good to see. And the fireworks, well, Clarissa always has good stuff there!"
    Ember nods. Being on the brink between teenager and adult, his feelings on earnest speeches are somewhat split. "I do appreciate his honesty." He replies. "I'd also sometimes appreciate slightly fewer words, though." He adds, with a wink. "Yeah, the fireworks will be great, too! Not understanding one bit of how she's doing it, but it looks great."

... assuming that at some point, the preparations are done:

"So, ... anything else I can help you with? Otherwise ... I wanted to check on Calin before it all begins."

27. - Top - End - #27

"No, dearie, we'll be fine. Just enjoy the fruits of our labor! But make sure you drink plenty of water between the liquors-I'm sure you've something important to do tomorrow, and you can't be hung over for that," Minerva says. "Speaking of which, want a glass?"

Nina shakes her head. "I'll be fine. Thank you, Ember!" she says, and gives you a quick hug.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Ember hugged her back warmly, after all, he considered her one of his best friends. On his way out, he waved. "See you later."

Outside, a slight autumn breeze dispersed the incense-charged smell of the priestess' hair that had stuck in his nose. He sighed, and slightly shook his head, noticing once again that growing up sometimes was not that simple. Or was it life in general?

Now, to find Calin. Knowing that Calin would probably look for him in the tavern, Ember approached the house that Logan had once built with his own hands. Or so everyone said. Opening the door, he saw not only Calin but also Eithne and Minerva.

"Hi folks, what's up? Excited?" He asked in a chipper tone, and went over to Calin to greet him in whatever way they usually did. Choose wisely, moonfly7, whatever you choose will stick with us for the rest of this game!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Ember! Been looking for you! How are you?" Calin asks with a smile to his friend.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Excited!" Ember admitted, smiling back "You?"