Default Re: Fizban's first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Just like wyverns, not real dragons.
    Well then we have a Prime world with no 'echo dragons' at all

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ironkid View Post
    Frankly, I found most of Fizban's quips even worse than Xanathar's, a few were good tho (specially the one about himself).
    They were visual clutter, mostly.
    I think "I really wanna try a ranger for my next char"
    We have a campaign starting in a few weeks that has, for me, a Watcher Oath Paladin lined up. Group back story is beginning to gel. I am now considering the ranger and his dog drake instead. Must discuss with group.
    Monks as we all know are hated by WotC I wonder why do they even pretend to try.
    My time playing monks in this edition has been fun. Not sure where your disappointment has come from. Sorry it hasn't worked out.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Monks as we all know are hated by WotC I wonder why do they even pretend to try.
    I think you're thinking of Paizo there.

(Pathfinder 1e was notorious for repeatedly giving the Monk nice things and then almost immediately introducing errata that nerfed those nice things.)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I think you're thinking of Paizo there.

(Pathfinder 1e was notorious for repeatedly giving the Monk nice things and then almost immediately introducing errata that nerfed those nice things.)
    "Why not both?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    "Why not both?"
    Because it's really not true for 5e, the only times Monk's get "shafted" are when playtest material reaches print in a different state than it was introduced to be tested. I don't agree with all of the adjustments made to the new Monk Subclass but when they get Dragonhide Belt in the same book and the almost universally good (I'd go so far as to say Great in all but Quickened Healing) optional features they got in Tasha's it's not a very sound take to say WotC is doing any deliberate injustice to the Monk.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2021-10-27 at 03:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Perhaps the key to healing Athas is to somehow give it proper dragons.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Perhaps the key to healing Athas is to somehow give it proper dragons.
    Like how introducing wolves in the Yellowstone park worked out.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Only instead of being about keeping elks on the move, it is about how the mystical essence of the Material Plane is actually not divine, elemental or fey, but draconic.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Only instead of being about keeping elks on the move, it is about how the mystical essence of the Material Plane is actually not divine, elemental or fey, but draconic.
    So long as it doesn't turn out like Tarkir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    So long as it doesn't turn out like Tarkir.
    I think most people would take Tarkir over Athas

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

I'm kinda bummed that brown, mercury and grey dragons got scrapped, but kinda understand why. I don't think anyone's gonna miss greyhawk/steel dragons.
    I most certainly will :( steel draggo is best draggo...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Greatwyrms are essentially dragons that absorb their echoes from other worlds, there's only one B+T from what I understand, with their aspects instead of echoes. This is from the book if it helps:
    What was that Jet LI movie, The One?

What happens if an echo is killed before they can absorb it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

One thing I realized while reading the magic items section--

Creating whiskey in a jar once per day is equivalent to creating a potion of healing (supreme) once per day and is a Legendary effect.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    What was that Jet LI movie, The One?

What happens if an echo is killed before they can absorb it?
    Excellent movie that started teenage me's obsession with the song bodies.

If they die then it just defaults to whatever death lore you chose, which can include reincarnating as an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    One thing I realized while reading the magic items section--

Creating whiskey in a jar once per day is equivalent to creating a potion of healing (supreme) once per day and is a Legendary effect.
    Whiskey that turns you into a dragon is some firewater alright.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

15. - Top - End - #105
    Colossus in the Playground

I think the best way to reconcile the lore (pure speculation on my part, but not baseless in my opinion) is that the 'first world' was the first *reasonable, livable* place on the Prime, but not literally the first physical place there. I'd guess the aboleth had a great deal of time dwelling on frozen rocks and in murky lifeless seas surrounded only by their uprisen servants and vile creations... before dragonkind started making their little awful paradise world and then the Gods spread it about
    Space is often treated much like the sea in fiction. Maybe in the time before the dividing of the firmament (or whatever the gods call it in D&D), void and water were the same thing, and the aboleths dwelt in the void, swimming in the ocean black, until their very expanse was encased in stone and air and the void made empty.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Because it's really not true for 5e, the only times Monk's get "shafted" are when playtest material reaches print in a different state than it was introduced to be tested. I don't agree with all of the adjustments made to the new Monk Subclass but when they get Dragonhide Belt in the same book and the almost universally good (I'd go so far as to say Great in all but Quickened Healing) optional features they got in Tasha's it's not a very sound take to say WotC is doing any deliberate injustice to the Monk.
    Agreed. It's just pointless negativity. From a design perspective the monk may be a little undertuned still but for a class that the 5e team has actually taken nice things from you'd want to point at the sorcerer and even there it's relatively minor stuff.

And monks, optimal or not are pretty fun imx.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

That implies it's not an Echo of the First world, like Eberron.

18. - Top - End - #108

EvilClericGuy

If Eberron isn't an Echo of the First World (and thanks KB for that!), does that mean Eberron dragons are extempt from that Dragonsight stupidity? Certainly Eberron's Tiamat is not the same as "normal" Tiamat, beyond looks, as she's neither a god or actually a dragon.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    If Eberron isn't an Echo of the First World (and thanks KB for that!), does that mean Eberron dragons are extempt from that Dragonsight stupidity? Certainly Eberron's Tiamat is not the same as "normal" Tiamat, beyond looks, as she's neither a god or actually a dragon.
    Depends on your table, though they're brought up in the book several times (because Dragons).
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'd say that if there is a dragon, with the dragon type, on Eberron they're subject to Dragonsight. They don't say it directly, but there's reference to dragons moving to the Outer Planes when they become Great Wyrms, presumably out of the Dragonsight field of view, and Eberron is described as in the Ethereal, which I don't think counts as Outer?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Certainly Eberron's Tiamat is not the same as "normal" Tiamat, beyond looks, as she's neither a god or actually a dragon.
    Is Eberron's Tiamat even a thing? RftLW only mentions the possibility of taking evil gods and archfiends of the Great Wheel, for example Tiamat, Lolth or Asmodeus, and "recasting" them as overlords of Khyber. That is even presented as "assuming you don't want Eberron to be connected to the wider multiverse" (RftLW p233).

22. - Top - End - #112

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    That implies it's not an Echo of the First world, like Eberron.
    Historically it has had more connection to the larger setting than Eberron... People talk in setting about how hard it is to get there, NPCs from Athas are in Sigil, it is on Spelljamming starcharts, prominent Darksun adventures deal with planehopping Gith, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Space is often treated much like the sea in fiction. Maybe in the time before the dividing of the firmament (or whatever the gods call it in D&D), void and water were the same thing, and the aboleths dwelt in the void, swimming in the ocean black, until their very expanse was encased in stone and air and the void made empty.
    Early planar history sometimes treated the Ethereal that way (which is generally considered the 'first plane' that predates all others); but Aboleth lore clearly references things like crystal spheres (what piscaethes 'brushed against') in a way that puts it at odds with the 'only one prime existed then that Gods were on' timeline even if we are talking in nautical metaphors

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Eberron is described as in the Ethereal, which I don't think counts as Outer?
    The Ethereal is the medium 'between' the Prime and Inner Planes, about as far removed from the Outer as it can be... But it is classically the home of most (but not all) Demiplanes, which is what they are implying Eberron is

In the editions, Eberron has been shunted around a lot as to 'where it really is'. In 3e, it was the classic example of an 'alternative cosmology' seperated from the Great Wheel and only reachable from a dangerous and near impossible journey through the Deep Shadow Plane. 4e cosmology was... Inconsistent by nature; but established that connections between Eberron and the other planes were more firm than that somehow (we 'see' the Outer Planes deep in one of the other planes orbiting Eberron (Irion to Celestia I think)... A novel established that the same Far Realm that threatens The Great Wheel lies at the heart of Xoriat's corruption... We see a few NPCs cross over through gates and portals from Eberron and the World Tree).

5e has waffled a bit on whether Eberron is a 'hard to reach prime world but still a prime in a crystal sphere' (like Athas); or an isolated ethereal Demiplane
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2021-10-28 at 08:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

4e cosmology was... Inconsistent by nature
    I would say that 4e was actually fairly consistent with its cosmology, but had built it on what felt like a contradiction.

See, 4e had all its settings abide by the same cosmological model. So because Nentir Vale had an Astral Sea, Forgotten Realms also had an Astral Sea, and Dark Sun had a (nuked and empty) Astral Sea, and Eberron had "the Astral Sea of Siberys".

At the same time, 4e was the opposite of 5e in that it did not invite crossovers. The Astral Sea of Nentir Vale was not the Astral Sea of Forgotten Realms, neither of which were the Astral Sea of Dark Sun, nor did Siberys have anything to do with any of them.

we 'see' the Outer Planes deep in one of the other planes orbiting Eberron (Irion to Celestia I think)
    All I remember is Eberron being given its own version of Baator, which I think was described as orbiting Shavarath.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Hoard of the Dragon Queen modules were written by Kobold Press, not WOTC, which does make it very complicated to understand exactly what 5e's theology system is, considering this was one of the first official modules ever released.
    Oh, it's pretty clear what it is: A hot mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Something I was really hoping would see drastic changes in its reprint, oh well. The design is just so different, you can practically tell at a glance that it was made without full access to the final design of 5e. We know that at best they were working with a pre-release "mostly complete" iteration of the DMG, at worst a completely outdated one.

On topic: There's so much cool stuff in this book that we want to adapt to our table. That little blurb on a particular Ancient Blue Dragon might be just what our DM was looking for to plan out the campaign extension he wanted to do for SKT.

My interest is in the whole dragonslaying and hoard item system, I think it's very cool and want to adapt some of my current dragon acquired items to the system. It takes a step towards making earned items feel unique and powerful, something that was previously exclusive to Artifacts with their minor/major boon and bane effects.
    I was hoping that after 3.5's various bugaboos, they'd have learned the dangers of this "licensed third party" designation but oh well.

Glad to hear it is less than completely official.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #115

EvilClericGuy

Is Eberron's Tiamat even a thing? RftLW only mentions the possibility of taking evil gods and archfiends of the Great Wheel, for example Tiamat, Lolth or Asmodeus, and "recasting" them as overlords of Khyber. That is even presented as "assuming you don't want Eberron to be connected to the wider multiverse" (RftLW p233).
    Very much so. Tiamat, the Daughter of Khyber is one of the most powerful Overlords around, with special influence and dominion over dragons. She's the reason dragons stick to Argonessen, because she grows stronger when they apply their power over lesser races, the reason for draconic greed and desire to dominate. Her prison, the Pit of Five Sorrows, is watched over by guardians who are executed after their tour of dute ends, to make sure they aren't corrupted by her. The guardians know that, and volunteer anyway.

While she doesn't matter much to an average humanoid on Khorvaire, she's a big deal.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

26. - Top - End - #116

Devil

A gal in my group had tried playing a drakewarden in icewind dale and found that the pet had too little hp to last very long per summon, so she gave up on using it. Granted, she was using the playtest version. is the fizbain version more survivable?
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    A gal in my group had tried playing a drakewarden in icewind dale and found that the pet had too little hp to last very long per summon, so she gave up on using it. Granted, she was using the playtest version. is the fizbain version more survivable?
    I believe it's the same, which is on par with the Steel Defender, what was happening that it was dying so frequently? Was it at least saving the party some hits?

28. - Top - End - #118

Kobold

Historically it has had more connection to the larger setting than Eberron... People talk in setting about how hard it is to get there, NPCs from Athas are in Sigil, it is on Spelljamming starcharts, prominent Darksun adventures deal with planehopping Gith, etc
    It can not be an echo o the first world and still be connected to others loosely. Alternatively it is an Echo and all the original Dragons on the world just went extinct.

29. - Top - End - #119

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    It can not be an echo o the first world and still be connected to others loosely. Alternatively it is an Echo and all the original Dragons on the world just went extinct.
    To be fair, virtually everything went extinct several times in Athas' history

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Very much so. Tiamat, the Daughter of Khyber is one of the most powerful Overlords around, with special influence and dominion over dragons.
    Oh, bother!

I thought for sure that Tiamat's presence on Eberron was a 4e-ism. Which made it very easy to read RftLW's guidance on bringing the likes of Tiamat, Asmodeus and Lolth to the setting, either as their Great Wheel selves or as Khyber overlords.

But if long-time Eberron fans expect a Tiamat, then it becomes another lore-related headache.