New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Fizban's first impressions

Finally got the book, few things I noticed (though I doubt there is much the community hasn't commented on so far, in this thread or related ones):

- Gem dragons: nice! Always thought those were a nice addition, glad we finally have them in 5e.
    - Dragonborn variants: much better than the regular one, which was a bit underpowered to begin with which only got worse with the addition of each supplement that provided other (more powerful) races. Gem variant is imo the most interesting by quite a marigin.
    - Feats: nice to have a few draconic feats, though they can be useful they aren't that interesting - though the metallic might be interesting for casters without healing on the spell list, and the gem feat nice for thematic psionic builds (psi warrior or soulblade).
    - Dragonnel: nice, option to have a draconic mount for paladin's (and by extension, bards, and folks with wish or rings of spell storing etc.)
    - The art often looks good;
    - spells should be more restrictive, some only given to sorcerers due to flavor - but they should stop desiging new spells to begin with. There already are a lot of them. Adding new ones only makes casters more versatile with each new book, and getting closer to 3.x traps where every caster had a button for everything. For instance, take blindsight: a darn good ability, so far mostly available only by rogue (class feature), fighting style, or by transforming into a specific critter which has it (and which has obvious disadvantages since your stats get replaced by the critter). It was something martials did better than casters, and definitely something casters needed to get access to with only a bonus action.
    - items: hoard magic items are cool, as are the draconic gifts (and different ways of getting them), and the regular one are nice and flavorful as well. Flail of Tiamat is a bit too much, +3 with +12,5 additional damage on each hit, and a breath weapon - should have some drawbacks afaic, but oh well.
    - information on lairs, mythology, new critters: all fine imo.

My main gripe is how little contents there is in the book, especially for players (3 subraces, 2 subclasses, 3 lousy feats, a handful of spells though I don't really need those anyway), also when I compare it to older edition books. This deserves a thread of its own but the short version: fine that they don't publish too many books and want to playtest more thoroughly, but at least make them books with a lot of letters, pages, and content by all means.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fizban's first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Foolwise View Post
    Booming Blade/Thunderclap - Thunder
    Sword Burst - Force
    Mind Sliver - Psychic
    Chill Touch - Necrotic

Cantrips alone, only radiant is not found on the Sorcerer list.
    A divine soul sorcerer can sneak in Sacred Flame, but I get your point.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society