New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon of Strangeness

Well, this escalated quickly. Kalliste remarks with utter nonchalance. Hang on for a moment, distressed healer person! She pushes herself away from the bars and drawing her oversized sickle, shifts near the similarly oversized coachman and grabbing her weapon's hilt with both hands, slashes at the creature's side.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

Tumble to avoid AoO: (1d20+14)[30]
    ATTACK: (1d20+7)[15] for (1d8+4)[6]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: STAT BLOCK
    Show
    Rosiwyn Billowcloak
    HP: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | AC: 19 | TOUCH: 19 | FLAT: 17
    INITIATIVE: +2 | SPOT: +9 | LISTEN: +13 | FORTITUDE:
    n/a | REFLEX: +4 | WILL: +3
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

"No, don’t break it! I want to play with it," Rosiwyn exclaims before diving at the huge creature’s face, arms outstretched as her translucent form merges with it.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Move into Coachman, using Malevolence: Will Save DC 22 to resist.
    Effects as Magic Jar

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

"I probably should be surprised... buuuut I'm not," muttered the hexblade. He unsheathed his blade as he spread a vial of poison onto it, swinging it at the large coachman.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Elexis charges the big guy. Master of Poisons to add a vial of giant wasp poison to the blade.

Attack roll: (1d20+11)[31]
    Damage roll: (2d6+4)[14]

Giant wasp poison Fort DC 18
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Labs gets hit by the whip, and while it at first looks like nothing happened, the reaction arrives in stages. First comes the deep scrunching of his brow, then his mouth opens wide, followed by a long, incredulous, and most definitely miffed "Oooow!"

Finally, the axe is drawn. "That was not very nice, sir!" The scrunched together thick eyebrows and bushy beard look positively disappointed with the current state of affairs, and it appears a lesson needs to be taught. So the big man gets hit with the axe.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move Close the distance to the big coachman

Standard Wallop the coachman with the axe
    (1d20+10)[22], (1d12+7)[12] damage

Additionally, Labs feels and voices indignation as a free action.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The combined attacks of the group bring down the big coachmen, when he falls he falls with a reassuring *crack* on the floor.

The small coachmen is plastered on the wall, opposing to this one and doesn't seem to want to move… Perhaps he also can't move.

If you take a quick search around it doesn't seem that anyone has reacted to the little ruckus in here.

Above the unusual experiment room is a massive iron door, with a little thing at the right wall before that, it seems like there is a small arcane protrusion.

Show
    Either UMD or Knowledge: Arcana for more info.

The two people inside the cells are surprised that you made it, but the one who seems to transform into a coachmen continuosly try's to rip the clothing away from him while the other talks to you. "Please get me out of here! I could heal you if you want, but I'm not good in a battle, but I can be useful! Please let me out!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #126

I'll be with you in… One… Moment. Kalliste tells the healer as she steps over the giant coachman, staring at the magical device as if drawn to it by some hypnotic force. She ultimately shakes her head and turns around, however, to crouch beside the fallen body, beginning to rifle through its pockets and whatnot, in search of the keys. What's this, you know, whole thing about anyway? she asks the healer and the half in a soothingly conversational tone.

Spoiler: Checks!
    Show

UMD: (1d20+15)[30]
    Search: (1d20+14)[22]
    Diplomacy to calm everyone down and to make MORE friends: (1d20+19)[24]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Labs pokes the giant coachman with his boot to see if he still wants to fight. With the panicked people around, he looks to Kalliste first examining the lock, then rummaging through pockets.

"Do you know how to get those open?" he asks. And, well, he starts rummaging through the pockets of the smaller coachman, since the adventurers seem to smell keys or something on them.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It doesn't seem that the giant coachmen wants (or can) fight anymore. The giant coachmen has a whip that adjust towards the size of it's wearer and when she rummages through his coat that one seems to adjust itself too. Though probably more interesting is a key and a pouch with 100 Gold coins. (If you want to open the cell of the healer it will work.)

The smaller coachmen has a meager 5 Gold coins in his pocket and also a whip and a coachman coat.

"I really don't know what is going on here. I just awakened when this giant guy bit into my shoulder. Next he bit my colleague in the other cell, he began to transform, but nothing happened to me. I don't have the right magic to help him."

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Well if you want to tag along to beat the guys responsible in the face I'm not stopping you, but I'm not good at healing," replied the hexblade, shrugging.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #130

Ah, the ugly, oversized werecoachman. Kalliste gives the healer (and the half) a knowing nod. Man, those are just, you know, the worst. she gets up and casually walks over to the full-healer's cage, unlocking the door. But apparently, it pays well enough. Guy had a hundred gold on… It? she flings the cell door open and moves over to its still locked cousin. That, plus a neat magical whip which is probably cursed or whatever. she slips the key into the lock, but instead of turning it she looks first up, pursing her lips, and then at the freshly freed healer. Is he goin' to, you know, bite me if I let 'im out?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Labs re-enters the room, not having looted anything off the smaller coachman, because it kind of doesn't feel right, is all.

"Nothing of note on the smaller one-" he informs the others, then hears about the bite being what is transforming the poor healer. His brow furrows deeply as his eard scrunches upwards, gears turning in his head while they are trying to process the general confusion. "They... they change into coachmen and grow coats?" A beat, talking to himself. "Does that mean people I bite become lumberjacks? Are professions contagious? Was I bitten by a lumberjack?"

Labs' head hurts.

Anyway. Healers. "Please do come out," Labs says to the full healer. "Can we... can we help the poor lad somehow?" The half-healer and what he is going through make the big guy very sad.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I-I'm really not that good in a fight. I tend to become unconscious…"

He touches Elexis and mumbles something suffusing him with healing energy.

Spoiler: Healing Elexis
    Show
    (1d8+2)[8]

"That was pretty taxing already…" He takes a minute to catch his breath. "I think it's only these specific coachmen who do something like that. I think we could help my colleague if we had more powerful healing available, if he doesn't have a complete coat he could still be healed I guess. I could also try to help him with conventionel means if one of you has like a bag with healing tools?"

The half-healer/half-coachmen has stopped trying to rip the coat from himself and has calmed down a bit.

Spoiler: Healing the half-men
    Show
    You could try a heal check (or let your new friend try one) or somehow make a Remove Disease happen. The healer that you freed isn't really powerful enough for that.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-12-15 at 07:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Eh, what the hells. We only live once, and all that. Kallsite turns the key, flings the cell door open, only to grab the half-healer by the stylishly uncoated wrist and drag him out of the cell. By the way. Could someone, you know, scrape the li'l one off the wall and bring it back here? There's somethin' I'd just love to test. she adds, her tone amused more than anything else while inspecting the sleeve of the coat the afflicted half-coachman is growing. But before that… she takes a half-step back – and then, she grabs her sickle with both hands, slips the tip under the fabric and pulls the blade upwards with blinding speed, intent on ripping the sleeve open.

Spoiler: Attack.
    Show

Kalliste tries to SUNDER the coat! (1d20+7)[12] for (1d8+4)[9] (and if a worn object (?) can be flat-footed enough for our purposes, (1d6)[6] deceptive attack.)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Labs scratches his head at the predicament. "Well. I read a first aid booklet once, maybe I can do something about the bite. It's like... well, it's a bite." He just stops himself there and walks over to the half-healer, taking a look at the wound. You know, maybe you just... need to clean the wound, squeeze some bad gunk out, get that coat off, give 'em a lot to drink? It could work?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Master of Few Jack of All for a Heal check (1d20+12)[32]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well cutting in the coat let's the healer cry out and bleed. But Labs get's to it and with some help he is able to slowly, meticulously get the coat off of the healer (under it are still his old robes. It has fused nearly with his skin and his other clothes, but it's possible to get it off.

Labs then get's toward the bite wound and pushes a bit here and washes out the wound and like a really small blood covered black veiny thing falls out of the wound and get's crushed by the other healer quickly.

"Wow that was pretty impressive! You should apply to the healers guild man. I take care of him, thanks a lot." The uninjured healer brings the other one towards the break room that he can rest a bit and can reassure himself that he won't turn into a coachmen.

16. - Top - End - #136

Kalliste stows away her weapon and scratches the back of her head uneasily. Talk about awkward. She shuffles away from the healed healer a bit before adding with a sweet, apologetic smile Anyhow, sorry about, you know, that. I meant no lasting harm. To you. As the healers turn to leave, she calls after them one last time. Have fun! I left you some cake!
    With the former prisoners gone, she then returns her attention to the coachman splattered all over the wall. And with the, you know, more pressin' issues out of the way, I'd still really 'ppreciate some help with that thing. She pauses for a moment, in thought. Or its head. We really only need the head.

Spoiler: Roll!
    Show

A parting Diplomacy check for the healers, in hope of sdtaying friends with them despite almost severing that arm: (1d20+19)[25]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, th-that's nice of you, but I don't have the stomach for healer work, and I don't do well with guilds," Labs responds to the healer, looking a bit green under the beard ever since the black thing came out the wound (and needing to remove the coat from the skin), hair on his arms standing on end. Being asked to scrape someone off the wall is the point where Labs stops for a moment, his beard assumes the smile shape, he raises his hands, and indicates he's out of this particular situation. And with that, he walks away down the corridor.

18. - Top - End - #138

PirateGuy

Show
    Rosiwyn Billowcloak

Distracted at first by the so cool surgery and slug-squashing, it takes Rosiwyn a moment to register the request for assistance.

"Oh yeah, right!" she exclaims, and exerts her mastery over the ectoplasmic elements once more to peel the Coachman down with invisible fingers.

"Squishy," she giggles.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Oh, it's okay really. We just try to hide in there a bit. If you need some help I'm sure we can at least try to heal your wounds and if you find a way out it would be really nice if you could help us." With that parting words the healers try to make themselves a bit comfortable in the break room and let the other healer heal himself.

The head of the coachmen on the wall pops clean off with Rosiwyn's ghostly powers.
    Spoiler: Rosiwyn
    Show
    Sorry if I misinterpret your actions.

When the head (and the eyes) are angled correctly the big iron door hisses, some steam comes out of it and the big door slowly opens silently (if you ignore the initial hissing.) There are some stairs following up (exactly 22 if you're bored enough to count) and another 4 way section.

One get's you toward the outhouses (but it smells Pretty nice in that direction actually. A nice rose-scent wafts towards you. A casual glance towards that direction let's you see some big stones with people standing around them, near some outhouses. The outhouses dangle very dangerously over a pit which seems to be used to dispose of waste.

From the direction of the plant room wafts some heavy earthy smell.

And forward seems to be a shield with the words "wild magic test room" "miscallenous" and "manager"

Spoiler: 1st Dungeon
    Show

Spoiler: 2nd Dungeon
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

How can… You squeamish Kalliste grinds her teeth and raises her hands in frustration as Labs walks out on her, but she calms down quickly when Rosiwyn chimes in. I don't need you, big guy! I have Rosi and she's fantastic! she shouts after the departing lumberjack triumphantly. Thanks, Rosi. You truly are, you know, fantastic. she adds as she orients the floating head against the magical device. This thing 'ere, y'see, holds a divination effect that reacts to, you know, authorized eyes staring into it. I figured that the coachman creatures count as such; hence the need for a head. she explains as the door opens. Someone might as well go, you know, fetch Labs. I know I won't, but I'm well aware that leavin' him behind would be kind of, you know, mean. she continues as she dances up the stairs to look around.
    Upon noticing the people standing around there, she's instantly drawn towards the outhouse room. What a lovely establishment you have 'ere with such lovely people! she addresses them, putting a warm smile on her face. Are you with the coachman folks?

Spoiler: Rolls.
    Show

Diplomacy, obviously: (1d20+19)[21]
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-12-20 at 06:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

So, as Labs walks, he encounters a big, big door. And another room with the title "Unusual Experiments". Now, after everything they have seen thus far, what does it take to qualify as "unusual" in this place?

Labs opens the door to check. Someone will open the door anyway.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Kalliste approaches the People she can hear some snippets of the previous conversation they had.

"Stop Talking About the poop Dragon!"

"I mean, seriously do you have any other Explanation?"

"Why need there be a dragon that eats our sh... droppings?"

"They make all kinds of sh... weird stuff in here, why not something that eats our excrements and has a very ****ty breath weapon?"

"You are disgusting man."

When Kalliste appears some wave towards her.

"Oh, hi." The coachmen makes them stop for a moment they look at one another and then towards Kalliste.

"Is this your first day here or what?"

Spoiler: Map for Kalliste
    Show

When Labs touches the door a voice calls out to him.

"It iz ztrongly advized to take on the Handling zear before entering thiz ezperimental zamberz" And at the side a small compartment opens up, with a weird contraption that Looks like a heavy overcoat with tubes attached to various parts of it and some kind of mask over the face. It's either magical or very weird.

Spoiler: Light armor proficiency
    Show
    That thing has most likely the same statistics as a chain shirt.

When the door is opened everyone still on the 1st dungeon part hears in they're head the following.

Please stop it! He is really in pain, why do you even do that?

Labs sees a man, wearing the "Handling zear" that has some buckets and throws whats in the buckets at a large humanoid, with bony contraptions coming out of his shoulders, some sad feathers are clinging to them. The humanoid has chiseled features and is currently at his knees, heaving heavily. He knees in a pool of the weird stuff that is thrown at him.

The man with the "zear" on him Looks at Labs and makes a gesture for him to come here. "Finally! I have to get this gunk in his cell and then take more of it and fill it up totally.

In another cell is a Woman with tentacles coming out of her neck. The other cell seems to be empty.

Spoiler: Map for Labs
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Labs enters the room, takes in the... everything. Okay, so, asking nicely did not work recently enough. So he will have to ask nicely... firmly.

"Sir, I would like you to stop doing what you are doing." A beat. "And explain what you are doing to these people."

24. - Top - End - #144

Oops. That's not the lead she should have gone with. That must be remedied fast. Kalliste quickly switches to plan B. She places her right palm on the side of her neck and shifts her weight from one leg to the other. First ten minutes, actually. So yeah, I'm, you know, kind of new. she responds with a nervous little chuckle. I said somethin' really-really dumb, right?

Spoiler: Checks.
    Show

Same spiel as with ZZ. Bluff, to sound awfully harmless:
    1d20+18
    Also, for added fun, let's see if she knows anything about actual poop dragons (I know, I know, but I couldn't resist): Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+7)[26]

25. - Top - End - #145

Spoiler: Holy… Bluff, second attempt!
    Show

Bluff: (1d20+18)[25]

26. - Top - End - #146

PirateGuy

Show
    Rosiwyn Billowcloak

Rosiwyn preens a bit at the praise from her new best friend Kalliste, then drops the head disinterestedly once the door is open. As the Montebank approaches and begins conversing with what appears to be some more of the inmates running this asylum, she fades from the Material Plane and follows in her wake, invisibly and intangibly.

She definitely wants to see how this plays out!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

------ Labs and perhaps Elexis ------

The guy with the zear stops and looks at Labs... Perhaps menacing, it's hard to see with the weird thing he is wearing.

"Oh shucks she has you! Idiot! That's the reason why you should take on that thing! Take it on!"

Show
    Labs make a DC 14 Will save or you feel compelled to take on the handling gear.

Spoiler: Spellcraft 17
    Show
    He casts Suggestion on Labs.

----- Kalliste and Rosiwyn --------

The Goblin of the Group slowly raises his ax (they are known to be ax-crazy after all) but get's interrupted by the black-robed person.

"Calm down On, remember you're first weeks here? Everyone wanted to throw you in a cell, right?"

He grumbly sets down his ax.

"It's okay these coachmen are just really creepy guys. Not part of the staff, they just have some kind of business relationship with the Leaders. If it's your first day who is your supervisor?"

The five people (4 probably humans and one stray goblin) seem a bit more relaxed now but still are looking at Kalliste.

28. - Top - End - #148

Crud. Of course. They absolutely had to be employees here and smart enough to ask that ugly question despite all the poop dragon talk. Kalliste briefly wonders why the universe wants to make her life miserable, but she doesn't dwell on the thought for long. She must not seem hesitant to respond. That would be telling. You know ZZ, right? she asks with friendly nonchalance. Anyhow, I couldn't help but, you know, overhear you lot talkin' about some kind of poop dragon problem. Is that, you know, a thing here? she gestures towards the pit. That's… An unsettling thought, but the less she needs to talk about how she's being "supervised" right now the better. She knows everything about (critters commonly described as) poop dragons anyway, and if things go south, she may still ask Rosi to just fling everyone in the room into the smelly stuff below.

Spoiler: Checks.
    Show

Bluff (to hide her consternation and to make changing the subject smooth): (1d20+18)[23]
    Sense Motive (to see if these five are trying to play the same game she is): (1d20+5)[14]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Labs' face scrunches up, deep furrows on the brow, beard pushing forward. "Sir, I do not appreciate your insults or your coercion. Now kindly cease both and explain."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

----------Labs and Elexis?----------

"What the…" The guy seems to be flabbergasted for a moment then gestures around, pointing at the tentacle-necked woman, who flinches at the accusational finger pointed at her. "That beast can controll you. The handling gear helps shacking her controll off and if she has you it has a one-time protection woven in, which is the reason why you should take it on!"

He makes a dismissive gesture at the humanoid with the bones coming out of his shoulders.

"And that's a celestial. The boss wanted to see what happens if we throw more liquified vile at it."

Spoiler: Labmap
    Show

----------Kalliste and Rosiwyn------

"ZZ? One of the young guys?" Says the blackrobed guy.

On nods. "Said that he had potential. Was recommended by the boss."

Though if she mentions the poop dragon there are growns and eye-rolling but also thoughtful nodding.

"I mean they're must be one, right?" Says the guy with the bow. "There is rumbling in the ground and sometimes I can hear it roar. I'm pretty sure it has a hoard of rare droppings inside the pit." That particularly theory produces more groans, shaking heads and some disgusted faces.

Spoiler: Kalmap
    Show