New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Rabbit-folk Rogue subclass & ASI / feat advice

I want a rabbit folk who is dashing and daring sword duelist . What are some simple and easy ways to achieve this by level 4 and what's set up for levels 1-8

I'm.unsure my starting level but doubt it be higher than 8

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Rabbit-folk Rogue subclass & ASI / feat advice

Quote Originally Posted by Nosta View Post
    I want a rabbit folk who is dashing and daring sword duelist . What are some simple and easy ways to achieve this by level 4 and what's set up for levels 1-8

I'm.unsure my starting level but doubt it be higher than 8
    sounds like a classic swashbuckler. they give themselves sneak attack if they're in a dueling type scenario, and add their cha to initiative.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

It depends on how you translate "dashing and daring sword duelist" into abilities.

Kazaryu's got a very good idea, swashbuckler is a great way to nail your theme. And you can take the Rogue's Expertise and put it in Athletics & Acrobatics to improve your chandelier-swinging skills, then Expertise Persuasion at level 6 in time for the level 9 Panache, to buff your taunting/charming abilities.

If you need someone tankier in your party, you could just go Fighter/Battle Master and grab the swashbuckley maneuvers (Goading Attack, Parry, etc).

Featwise, Defensive Duelist is a fun one for your proposed concept, but doesn't start out amazing (since it scales off of prof. bonus). If you're starting out level 8, that'll help a little (+3 AC instead of +2).

OR you could always go Swashbuckler rogue, then Martial Adept feat to pick up the maneuvers you want! Really, almost all the good roads to where you want to be consist of Swashbuckler, Battle Master, or some combination of the two.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like either a Swashbuckler or a Dex based Battlemaster Fighter or possibly some multiclass. The higher the starting level the more I'd lean towards a multiclass between the two.

EDIT: Swords bard will also fit. Perhaps a little more details on what you are looking for will help.
    Last edited by Sorinth; 2021-10-26 at 09:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
    Sounds like either a Swashbuckler or a Dex based Battlemaster Fighter or possibly some multiclass. The higher the starting level the more I'd lean towards a multiclass between the two.
    Yep, Battlemaster 5/Swashbuckler 3 would be an ideal combo if starting at Level 8. Otherwise, nothing wrong with a single-classed Swashbuckler X or DEX-based Battlemaster X, based on whatever final starting level turns out to be. Any of those would be a very straightforward way to achieve your concept of a skilled duelist, with the Fighter being more combat-focused and the Rogue having a bit more out of combat utility.

(Note that Swashbuckler's Rakish Audacity + Harengon's Hare Trigger + High DEX = quite the Initiative bonus: d20+CHA+DEX+PROF.)

But if you're looking for more exotic suggestions, I agree that Swords Bard can buckle a few swashes, if you want more of a magical/spellcaster slant. However, they're not going to be as good at melee swordplay as something like the Rogue or Fighter (or my next suggestion below), nor are you going to have the same defensive capabilities, and even the more melee-oriented Bards eventually reach a point where they generally have better things to be doing with their turns besides swinging a melee weapon.

Something a bit less obvious to consider would be Kensai Monk. Yeah, it's a "Monk", but think less like an "Eastern Martial Artist" and more like an "Errol Flynn-esque Pirate/Musketeer Brawler Acrobat", combining Rapier thrusts/slashes with punches, kicks, and headbutts, plus daring leaps and aerial maneuvers. Instead of Ki Points, call them Dueling Points or Luck Points or whatever. Also, no need for Armor; just your rapier, your fists, your nimbleness, and your wits. (After all, stereotypical swashbuckling swordsmen in film/print don't tend to wear armor, even light armor.)

With a Bard, Monk, or Fighter build, grabbing the Mobile feat can get you the equivalent of the Swashbuckler Rogue's "free Disengage", to scoot in and out of danger without fear of Opportunity Attacks.

If using Point Buy, it'd look something like:

Harengon Swashbuckler Rogue 3/Battlemaster Fighter 5. (Followed by leveling Rogue up from there.)
    STR 10
    DEX 15+2
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 14+1
    Proficiency in Perception, Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Intimidation, and Persuasion.
    Expertise in Acrobatics and Perception.
    Dueling fighting style.
    +1 DEX/CHA at Fighter 4. Plan for Lucky next, followed by +2 DEX, and then +2 CHA.
    Riposte, Commanding Presence, and Trip Maneuvers.

or

Harengon Swashbuckler Rogue 8
    STR 10
    DEX 15+2
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 14+1
    Proficiency in Perception, Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Persuasion, and either Intimidation or Deception.
    Expertise in Acrobatics, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.
    +1 DEX/CHA at Rogue 4, and Lucky at Rogue 8. Plan for +2 DEX next, followed by +2 CHA.

or

Harengon Battlemaster Fighter 8
    STR 10
    DEX 15+2
    CON 15+1
    INT 8
    WIS 11
    CHA 12
    Proficiency in Perception, Acrobatics, Athletics, Persuasion, Stealth
    Take Mobile at Fighter 4, Skill Expert at Fighter 6 for +1 DEX, Deception or Intimidation proficiency, and Expertise in Acrobatics, and then Lucky at Fighter 8. Plan for +2 DEX next, followed by Defensive Duelist.
    Riposte, Commanding Presence, Trip, Feinting, and Pushing Maneuvers.
    Dueling fighting style.

or

Harengon Swords Bard 8
    STR 8
    DEX 15+2
    CON 15
    INT 8
    WIS 8
    CHA 15+1
    Proficiency in Perception, Acrobatics, Athletics, Persuasion, Stealth, and either Deception or Intimidation.
    Expertise in Acrobatics and either Perception or Persuasion.
    Dueling Fighting Style.
    Take Moderately Armored for +1 DEX and Shield proficiency at Bard 4, then Resilient CON at Bard 8. Plan on +2 CHA at the next two ASIs.

or

Harengon Kensai Monk 8
    STR 10
    DEX 15+2
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 15+1
    CHA 8
    Proficiency in Perception, Acrobatics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, and Athletics.
    Mobile feat at Monk 4, and Skill Expert feat at Monk 8 for +1 DEX, Insight Proficiency, and Acrobatics Expertise. Plan for +2 DEX next, followed by +2 WIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Abracadangit View Post
    Featwise, Defensive Duelist is a fun one for your proposed concept, but doesn't start out amazing (since it scales off of prof. bonus). If you're starting out level 8, that'll help a little (+3 AC instead of +2).
    Potentially a good option for a single classed Battlemaster Fighter build, although I'd be inclined to max DEX and probably grab Lucky before considering this at something like Level 12 or 14.

Not so much for a Swashbuckler Rogue, since Rogues already get Uncanny Dodge, which also uses your Reaction. Comes down to do you want to spend your Reaction on Defensive Duelist to maybe avoid all the damage (if the hit's attack roll happens to be within 1-2 points of your AC, which you won't know so it's big a gamble), or spend your Reaction on Uncanny Dodge to definitely avoid half the damage from the hit... Plus, Uncanny Dodge doesn't cost a feat.

And a Swords Bard or Kensai Monk won't have room for it, since they'll want to max out both DEX and WIS/CHA.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2021-10-27 at 03:14 PM.