New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Final Tower (IC)

The day goes on.

You extinguish most of the fires. You get people organized enough to help, and you think that you can manage to keep everything under control now.

You begin to take stock of what you have in the town, but do not get very far before exhaustion from the days events washes over you all. You all meet together one last time to establish watch protocols.

So.

Who is watching what, and when? Do not forget that you have a few more guards as well.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2021-11-15 at 06:42 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Pavan, is that you? Oh, you're alive!" Melinda Carpenter exclaimed and crawled from behind pieces of debris where she had hidden with a few other people.

Amando watched, as the artisans greeted each other and he gave Lyam an encouraging look. "We can do this!" he said, clearly having found optimism in finding survivors.

---

When it was time to arrange the night's watch, Amando volunteered to stay near the mysterious door. The barrier fascinated him, or rather the mystery behind it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"yeah....maybe. Lets just not get cocky. We don't even really know what "This" is. and I'm not trusting anything right now."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jasper of the Greencloak

With survivors gathered and as many fires extinguished as possible, the group found evening coming. As the small contingent of guards gathered to discuss duties, Jasper crouched nearby, listening. The one called Amando offered to watch the door, clearly enthusiastic about the town's chances. The one named Lyam was less enthusiastic, but did not seem to have a preference for the watches. Jasper glanced around, then looked outward to the town.

"Ssso ... perhapsss two here, the ressst patrol outssskirtsss?" The lizardman was much more comfortable out walking around, and figured they still needed to watch for anything coming into the town during the evening.

OOC - I don't know if the town has walls or gates, and if it did, whether any of them still stand. However, seems we could probably have some pickets on the outer edge of town ... or at least around the core of what remains of the town (presuming some of the outer portions are gone.

Just biding time until we find out what those failed Wisdom saves mean

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 16 HP 13 Init +3 Move 30'
    Saves: Str +5 Dex +5 Con +3 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +0
    Skills: Athletics +5, Stealth +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Survival +4, Insight +4, Investigation +4
    Tools: Flute
    Weapons: Bite (+5 / 1d6+3) Spear (+5 / 1d8+3)
    Effects: Darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Night comes. And with it, come the dreams and nightmares made of what has transpired in the last 24 hours.

You stand on the wall, spear in one hand, looking out toward the forests in the distance.

You know she is out there. Somewhere out there. The paladin Keira.

She is somewhere in the night. And you are standing on the wall, standing between the evil warlord and your town.

You watch the night, looking out into the darkness. And that is when you feel it. A pulse from behind you as the night becomes lighter around you. You turn to look into the town, and you see the entire town ablaze, buildings with flames towering into the night. One of the only buildings not on fire is the temple, its stone building standing as it always has, ten stories high, with its towers and spires reaching into the heavens. As you watch, another pulse starts, and you watch as the wave of the pulse begins from the church and fans the flames further through the town. The pulse washes over you and you feel it calling to you.

You feel the pull inward, toward where the pulse emanates. And then you are there.

At the stairs.

The stairs down which lies... the door...

The door that leads to something....

You are at the bottom of the stairs...

The door is open.

You awaken.

Jasper. You find yourself standing before the open door. Your hand is still on the latch.

Beyond lies nothing but darkness.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2021-11-18 at 11:38 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jasper of the Greencloak

OOC so much for Armando's watch

The lizardfolk awoke with a hiss, gripping a spear tightly in his off-hand and the door latch with the other. He peered around in frustration, wondering what it was that had pulled him from his sleep. Glancing back to the door, he began to take a step towards the gaping darkness when he suddenly realized where he was! Frozen in confusion, the reptilian figure stared with growing apprehension.

"This... door.... No... no one... comes... through... Beyond...Evil..."

Jasper peered through the door for only a moment, then closed the door carefully. Looking down, he saw his clawed hand was shaking as he stepped back from the door.
    He looked around for the others, knowing something important had just happened. As soon as he could, he gathered the other guards and told them what happened.

"I had ...dreamsss lassst night. Ssstanding guard againssst her. Then sssuddenly ... ssstanding at the door. Thisss door. Darknesssss calling ... pulling ... then I woke, ssstanding at the door. It wasss opened. I ... I opened it, in my sssleep." He paused to let that sink in, his tail whipping about in agitation.

"Dangerousss ... sssomething beyond the door callsss ... ssseeksss freedom. Mussst ssstop it. Two guardsss? Ssshould we block the door? Can priessstsss cassst wardsss?"

OOC - Clearly the least talkative member of the group must be truly disturbed to speak this much! Here's hoping I didn't just let out Gozer the Gozerian!
    Show
    Skills: Athletics +5, Stealth +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Survival +4, Insight +4, Investigation +4

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

You are unable to close the door.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lyams eyes widen in fear.

"You said it called you?" He whispers, his hand gripping his spear. He can't find it in him to blame jasper. This thing is clearly evil, and potent. Common guards can't be expected to stop it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jasper of the Greencloak

Jasper nodded slowly, his face scrunched in confusion. "No wordsss ... jussst feelingsss. Like ... ripplesss on the pond! Wavesss wassshing out ... from here. I sssaw myssself at the temple ... the ssstairsss ... the door. Then I woke up." He hissed in frustration, then struggled against the door again.

"Now ... it won't ... clossse!" He grunted with each heave, trying desperately to get the door closed.

OOC - He is truly trying to close the door, practically willing it closed.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

As Jasper struggles with the door, there is a... pressure. Like something is pressing against the other side of the doorway.

And then there is a sudden blast. Like an impact to the air. All of you feel it in your bones as they all try to jump out of your skin.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lyam immediatly points his spear at the door, hands shaking.

"We need someone to watch this thing. Every hour of everyday. It's-it's supposed to be shut but keeping anj eye on it is the best we can do."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Lini does likewise, unsure what just happened but feeling a deep gnawing fear that they've already failed their mission. If the door was open...

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jasper of the Greencloak

Jasper's eyes narrowed as he peered at the other side of the door, and gazed down the stairs in confusion. "Won't clossse ... why? Nothing there ..." However, when Lyam mentioned guarding the door, his gaze snapped to the others. "Wasssn't it guarded lassst night?"

If they hadn't guarded it, why not? If they did, what spell had put the guards to sleep? If he was the guard, why didn't he remember?

OOC - Looking for any indications of something holding the door open ... glancing down the stares with Darkvision to see if there is anything down there.
    Show