A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Strange request for homebrew system

    Hey guys, let me preface this by saying I really don't expect this to generate any responses, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case. I have a homebrew system originally inspired by 5th edition and final fantasy 10 and evolved over time. Basically take 5th edition and make it classless with rapid progression.

    Anyways, it's been in playtest for 4 years now within my own group. The core mechanics are stable and I want a consumable rulebook for it. I attempted to make one a while back and I just don't have the time or motivation.

    Which brings me to my question: is there anyone that enjoys this type of work and would want to learn my system in order to create a well formatted, consumable rulebook? I have various material that could be used including the start of my first attempt(definitely out of date), an entire repository of distributed documented rules, and I would be willing to teach the game and answer any questions.

    Please let me know if you have any questions, either in the thread or dm me.

    Like I said weird request so feel no obligation to reply but if someone could get enjoyment out of this task then by all means let me know.

    Thanks a bunch in advance.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Man_Over_Game's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Strange request for homebrew system

    I'd be interested in learning more, absolutely.

    I have a few questions, if it's alright.

    -Why did you decide to build it off of a 5e chassis? What kind of solutions and hurdles do you expect to come out of this that you wouldn't have had you created a new chassis?

    -What kind of inspiration did you pick up from Final Fantasy 10? What were the benefits that you saw by using it and what problems did you foresee with it that you wanted to fix before merging it with your idea?

    -Why classless? What do you think this changes about what most players would expect out of something like 5e?

    -What does your existing prototype excel at now? What concerns do you have so far, and how do you plan on finding out more?


    You don't have to answer all of these, and you definitely don't have to answer them all at once, I just like to know where you want to go with it, so I can help understand what it is you're aiming for, instead of doing the usual Developer's-Helper problem of having my own vision of how things should be and trying to mutate your dream to fit my ideals.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-10-27 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

    5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Strange request for homebrew system

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I'd be interested in learning more, absolutely.

    I have a few questions, if it's alright.

    -Why did you decide to build it off of a 5e chassis? What kind of solutions and hurdles do you expect to come out of this that you wouldn't have had you created a new chassis?

    -What kind of inspiration did you pick up from Final Fantasy 10? What were the benefits that you saw by using it and what problems did you foresee with it that you wanted to fix before merging it with your idea?

    -Why classless? What do you think this changes about what most players would expect out of something like 5e?

    -What does your existing prototype excel at now? What concerns do you have so far, and how do you plan on finding out more?


    You don't have to answer all of these, and you definitely don't have to answer them all at once, I just like to know where you want to go with it, so I can help understand what it is you're aiming for, instead of doing the usual Developer's-Helper problem of having my own vision of how things should be and trying to mutate your dream to fit my ideals.
    All great questions. I'm going to try to take these one at a time.

    1. When I say it's inspired by 5e it really has diverged quite a bit from 5e. What will be recognizable for inspiration is the action system in combat. I changed some of the terms but I really liked the way the 5e combat flows and much of that will be recognizable if you have played 5e. The main hurdle that has come out of this I would say is the time complexity of combat. I have since had a few ideas for how an original chassis could address those but at this point it would be something entirely different from my system.

    2. Two main things were inspired by final fantasy 10. Both come from the character growth system they use on the sphere grid. The first thing I really liked was that you basically obtained micro levels on average once every combat. I took that idea and ported it directly to my system. Every combat encounter awards something called a combat rank and every skill encounter awards something called a skill rank. These are the progression told used instead of levels. The second thing I liked was the highly customizable format given in the sphere grid. I didn't want to create a complex grid for my leveling so I dropped that and instead created a series of linear paths characters could invest in.

    3. The reason I went with classless is when I'm playing an 5e I have a concept in mind that almost never matches a specific class. To implement it I have to jump through hoops and use multiclassing or homebrew subclasses etc to get what I want. I wanted more flexibility then that and going classless allowed a way to do it. Instead as mentioned I used ability based linear progression tracks. This allows you to more naturally build your character as desired. They also make it a highly expandable system much like the subclasses do in 5e but the difference is once an ability track had been created any character can make use of it.

    4. What my system excels at currently is allowing people to build unique character concepts. On average a character will invest in 2-3 stats out of 7 and 2-3 combat ability tracks out of dozens currently allowing for endless concepts. Further by decoupling combat and skill abilities you can easily create characters such as an athletic mage or a stealthy bruiser breaking typical character conventions. Most of my concerns have been worked out in the years playtesting. At this point I want a good way to expose it to a larger audience and I don't really have that yet.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Man_Over_Game's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Strange request for homebrew system

    Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    All great questions. I'm going to try to take these one at a time.

    1. When I say it's inspired by 5e it really has diverged quite a bit from 5e. What will be recognizable for inspiration is the action system in combat. I changed some of the terms but I really liked the way the 5e combat flows and much of that will be recognizable if you have played 5e. The main hurdle that has come out of this I would say is the time complexity of combat. I have since had a few ideas for how an original chassis could address those but at this point it would be something entirely different from my system.

    2. Two main things were inspired by final fantasy 10. Both come from the character growth system they use on the sphere grid. The first thing I really liked was that you basically obtained micro levels on average once every combat. I took that idea and ported it directly to my system. Every combat encounter awards something called a combat rank and every skill encounter awards something called a skill rank. These are the progression told used instead of levels. The second thing I liked was the highly customizable format given in the sphere grid. I didn't want to create a complex grid for my leveling so I dropped that and instead created a series of linear paths characters could invest in.

    3. The reason I went with classless is when I'm playing an 5e I have a concept in mind that almost never matches a specific class. To implement it I have to jump through hoops and use multiclassing or homebrew subclasses etc to get what I want. I wanted more flexibility then that and going classless allowed a way to do it. Instead as mentioned I used ability based linear progression tracks. This allows you to more naturally build your character as desired. They also make it a highly expandable system much like the subclasses do in 5e but the difference is once an ability track had been created any character can make use of it.

    4. What my system excels at currently is allowing people to build unique character concepts. On average a character will invest in 2-3 stats out of 7 and 2-3 combat ability tracks out of dozens currently allowing for endless concepts. Further by decoupling combat and skill abilities you can easily create characters such as an athletic mage or a stealthy bruiser breaking typical character conventions. Most of my concerns have been worked out in the years playtesting. At this point I want a good way to expose it to a larger audience and I don't really have that yet.
    I'm impressed! Everything you've responded with sounds extremely reasonable and it sounds like your solutions fit perfectly for the results you're looking for. I'm definitely interested in doing what I can to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

    5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Strange request for homebrew system

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I'm impressed! Everything you've responded with sounds extremely reasonable and it sounds like your solutions fit perfectly for the results you're looking for. I'm definitely interested in doing what I can to help.
    Thanks! I appreciate the endorsement. I sent you a dm so we can get started looking at it in more detail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •