New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Online Battlemap Programs

Hello, I am trying to get into online DMing, and would like to find an effective program for using battlemaps online. Does anyone here know any good programs?
    Last edited by SteveLightblade; 2021-10-27 at 03:45 PM.
    Graduated top of my class in the Mendev Crusaders
    Numerous secret raids on the Worldwound
    Over 300 Confirmed Smites

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Online Battlemap Programs

There are a number of 'virtual tabletops' on line that include Foundry, Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.

Have you looked into them?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    There are a number of 'virtual tabletops' on line that include Foundry, Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.

Have you looked into them?
    I've used Roll20 before. Its okay but it's not as intuitive as I would like.

I've also tried Dungeonfog (is that the same as foundry?), and I like it, but I don't know how to share a map without

I haven't tried Fantasy Grounds, but I'll check that out, it seems like something that comes with the ability to share like Roll20, but the intuitiveness of Dungeon Fog.

Thank You
    Graduated top of my class in the Mendev Crusaders
    Numerous secret raids on the Worldwound
    Over 300 Confirmed Smites

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Owlbear Rodeo is worth a look and its what my group use

Its just for managing maps. It does not handle character sheets etc - this makes it simple (and free) to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I second Owlbear Rodeo as a decent (and free) entry-level VTT. This video review might help convince you to give it a try.
    MapForge is easy-to-use battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac OS X.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Foundry vtt is generally for power users IMO. Popular systems have community produced implementations with considerable automation and integrated content. Countless modules can be downloaded to do amazing things. If you can’t find what you are looking for it’s possible to make it yourself.

Running something like 5e you’ll get so much in the baseline, and a ton more from modules.

I started on roll20 but grew to feel crippled by the lack of features and the poor optimization. I did not want to shell out monthly payments for “premium” features like dynamic shadows, basic scripting macros, or increased storage space. Then I saw foundry with its $50 one time license purchase. Dynamic lighting? Default. Scripting? Load full projects from the community or those that you’ve made, and yeah you can just write code in game for your macros. Storage? You run it on your computer of choice, go ahead with that 100gb of detailed maps and backgrounds.

Dipping your toes? Check the freebies. Intent on staying for a while? Consider foundry.

In any case I strongly recommend an image editor like GIMP for touching up pictures or converting gifs to pngs with transparent backgrounds.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2021-11-12 at 12:07 PM.