New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Where to Place the Other Dragons? (Starter Set/Essentials Kit mash-up help)

I don't know if anyone in my group is on here, but if you're in a Tomb of Annihilation game featuring Sandro Tortellini the samurai tortle wielding an overpowered sword and Atlan the fire druid/monk wielding an overpowered tattoo - don't continue reading below (and pm me a "hello"!).

A while back there was a thread on here where someone asked for help with the dragons' motivations in a campaign that combined the Starter Set, the Essentials Kit, and Forge of Fury because each had a dragon. That sounded like a cool idea so I decided to do the same but to also turn it into a "beginner adventure highlights" so I'm also throwing in Sunless Citadel, maybe Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and some references to the Caves of Chaos (and by extension the Keep on the Shadowfell). I'm also throwing in a dracolich (stuck as a soul gem currently) who seeks to be revived through the bones of the dragon in the barrow (which I'm changing to a blue dragon to tie-in with the Talos cult). I also put the barrow in Starmetal Hills.

My problem is mainly placing the Forge of Fury. I just can't grock where I should place it on the region map. The most logical place would be the Crags north of Neverwinter Forest. They're a named place, but there's nothing of interest there, but they're so far away from most of the adventure sites and from Icespire Peak that I feel like the black dragon would be left out of the conflict. But they are more cowardly, so maybe that works out? Then there's the Mere of Dead Men, which would also be "perfect" because black dragons and swamps right? but it doesn't match the overworld map of Stone Tooth. I could maybe put the Reptile God cult there and have Leilon be the harassed town?

Then there's Kryptgarden Woods. It's such a cool name but no sites there. I kind of want SC there but its too far for the blight connection. I could maybe put Thundertree there too, but IDK. I kind of like there being more stuff in Neverwinter Forest. Plus, I've added an old dracolich lair in Mt. Hotenow, that has a portion on the shadowfell - guarded by a red shadow dragon cursed to serve the dracolich, so having low-level = phandalin, mid-level = forest, high level = mt. hotenow would be good probably.

There's also the problem of tieing in The Black Spider's plan to the dragons. Being a servant of the Green Dragon maybe works? Tho I also like the idea of the green dragon being an unwilling servant of the dracolich who's being groomed as a potential pile of replacement bones.
    Last edited by Carpe Gonzo; 2021-10-27 at 03:58 PM.