New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Critique this spell please? Land Legs, meant for merfolk

Land Legs
    Alteration
    Sor/wiz, Clr/Ora, Level ? (This is mostly what I'm looking for help with)
    Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 caster level)
    Target: 1 merfolk per caster level
    Duration: 24 hours (D)
    Saving throw: Will negates (harmless)
    SR: Yes

This spell transforms the fishlike tail of merfolk into a pair of humanlike legs. Those affected lose their Swim speed and racial bonus to Swim checks, but gain a land movement speed of 30'(? Open to changing this, maybe 25'.) Those affected by this spell can end this effect voluntarily.

This spell may also be able to affect non-merfolk characters who lack legs (such as naga,) though this is up to DM discretion.
    Merfolk and locathah are one of the nations in a setting I'm creating, where they're kind of different castes of the same race and nation. Merfolk dwell in the sea and large inland lakes and serve as the governing faction, with most of the nation's spellcasters being merfolk, while locathah tend to live in and around rivers and wetlands and essentially serve as the nation's peasant class, doing the majority of the physical work, as well as serving as the nation's armed forces. Merfolk developed this spell to make travel over land, if necessary, easier.

The closest existing counterpart to this spell is Water Breathing, which is more powerful because it grants those affected by it an ability they don't have. Merfolk already have a very slow land speed (only 5' by default, though the Strongtail alternate racial trait increases that to 15', while lowering their swim speed to 30') this just increases it, while also costing them their racial bonus to Swim checks and their Swim speed - while affected by this, a merfolk is no better at swimming than a human with the same stats and skill points in the Swim skill is.

I was aiming for this being a level 1 spell for primary casters like clerics and wizards, am I overlooking something that makes this obviously more powerful than that?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Critique this spell please? Land Legs, meant for merfolk

The massive duration AND multi-target effect is what makes this a game changer for aquatic humanoids, and that's why I'd say this shouldn't be a first-level spell.

The closest matches here are probably Alter Self (2nd level) and Expeditious Retreat (1st level) but both of those last only one minute per level, and affect one creature. I'd say as a 1st-level spell make this self-only and one hour per level; or as a 2nd-level spell make it target one creature and last all day; or as 3rd-level spell make it work as it is written now.

(edit) Also I'd say this fits the Druid list better than the Cleric list; I'm not sure why this would be a Cleric spell at all, except in certain domains. Wizard list is suitable, of course.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2021-10-29 at 04:42 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say call it a 2nd level spell...and remove the (D). Once cast you're locked in for 24 hours.

This is the same approach a similar spell Ignoble Form takes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I'm not an expert of pathfinder but a quick search found this spell Fins to feet So considering this spell in game your version should probably be a 4th or 5th level spell (as the duration is quite big and is a multiple spell) , but as I said I'm not an expert of pathfinder
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinas View Post
    I'm not an expert of pathfinder but a quick search found this spell Fins to feet So considering this spell in game your version should probably be a 4th or 5th level spell (as the duration is quite big and is a multiple spell) , but as I said I'm not an expert of pathfinder
    Fins to Feet being 3rd is another good indicator that this should be 2nd (minus the (D) tag), as Fins to Feet is a much better spell (it has effectively no drawbacks).

I missed that Land Legs was multitarget though. It should definitely be single target with its current effect.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-10-29 at 05:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would, too, say 2nd level for single target, 3rd or 4th for multi-target, and no (D)
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.