A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: How long have you been playing dnd

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    2001...20 years ago...Please, stop making me feel old... :)
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    He'll do that as soon as you get offa my lawn!
    All you dang whippersnappers and your fancy dice and pdfs... in my day, we had chits and mimeographed character sheets, and we liked it!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    All you dang whippersnappers and your fancy dice and pdfs... in my day, we had chits and mimeographed character sheets, and we liked it!
    Before we had polyhedral dice, we had a bowl with cheap plastic poker chips in it, one each for d4, d8, d10{1} and d20. You covered the bowl, shook it, held it up over your own head and pulled out a chip.
    It worked but when we got those fancy dice we never went back to chips.

For character sheets, we had 3.5 index cards and mechanical pencils. It's all we needed.

{1} For d12 you rolled 2d6: even white die was 1-6 on the red one, and odd on the white die was 7-12 on the red one.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-11-16 at 02:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Mimeographed?! You were pampered! I played for years having to lay out my own sheets on notebook paper. (Still liked it though!)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kraynic View Post
    Mimeographed?! You were pampered! I played for years having to lay out my own sheets on notebook paper. (Still liked it though!)
    TBH, I can still lay out a 2nd edition character sheet on a page of college ruled.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see... I got introduced to D&D via Living Greyhawk right after the campaign transitioned from 3.0 to 3.5, making 3.5 PHB (1st printing!) the very first RPG book I ever bought, so I guess since July 2003? Roughly 18 years and 4 months. Fun fact: the same book is still intact, and in weekly use apart from some superficial tearing on the edges of the cover. Even the spine is still in good shape!
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-11-16 at 03:54 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sigurd Eilifsson, Ulfen Barbarian 3/Bard 2/Dragon Disciple 8 (Second Darkness; Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign (D&D 3.5)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

First played as a sophomore in 1989 with the BECMI set and moved to 1st edition rapidly. Moved to 2nd Edition within a year or two. Stayed with that up until 99 ish or whenever 3rd edition came out. Moved to Pathfinder 1e when 4e came out. Never played 4e. Played 5e once or twice.

Currently play Pathfinder 1e, but don't have an active game at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

since 93? I think?
    Somewhere around there.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Started in the Fall of 1978 in high school with OD&D, gradually transitioned to AD&D as the books came out.
    Spent the first half of the 80s waffling between house-ruled to near unrecognizable AD&D and out-and-out home rolled systems, until I switched to GURPS in 1987.
    Played in one campaign of 2E in about 1990. Never played a version newer than that.
    Ran two adventures in a campaign of heavily house-ruled OD&D* a couple of years ago until it became clear that no one in our group had any interest in OSR except me.
    Still get together weekly (it's Discord now) with a couple of friends from my college gaming group weekly, but we don't do too much gaming any more. When we do, it's not D&D.

So while I started playing 43 years ago, I really only played D&D for less than ten years.

DrewID

* was there ever any other kind?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Talking with my nephew about this thread, I am reminded that there is a generation here that has NEVER known a world without...

- MICROWAVE OVENS
    - REMOTE CONTROLLED TV
    - VIDEO RECORDERS/CD PLAYERS
    - PERSONAL COMPUTERS
    - CELL PHONES
    - VIDEO GAMES

Raise your hand IF you're a "grognard" like me!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olskool View Post
    Talking with my nephew about this thread, I am reminded that there is a generation here that has NEVER known a world without...

- MICROWAVE OVENS
    - REMOTE CONTROLLED TV
    - PERSONAL COMPUTERS
    - CELL PHONES
    - VIDEO GAMES

Hand proudly raised!!!

I started in 1980-ish (not sure exactly, it was my freshman year, so "a year" starts in September and ends in June). When they published AD&D (what you whippersnappers call "1st edition", but in fact was about the fourth or fifth version of D&D), they didn't come out with the full set of three primary books all at once. They published Monster Manual first, Player's Handbook the following year, and the Dungeon Master's Guide the year after that. Only the first two were available when I started, though that might have just been on backorder.

I started playing in the gamestore group, but soon after started a campaign for a friend of mine. He moved away after highschool, so I scrapped the campaign and began preparing a new one. Later, as I expanded the map of the new ongoing campaign, I realized that the old map could be added in as the far coast the northern lands... basically restoring the original campaign world back into the whole.

40 years later, I've added much, much more, and ran many a game throughout the expanding world. My high point was an online game with a good friend from Australia which lasted nine years to full completion. But with that pinnacle of success, I've kinda lost the desire to just go dungeon scrapping again, and so I really don't play much anymore.

My gaming days are not done, but they kinda are on pause, and my campaign world waits to someday rise again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    . Even the spine is still in good shape!
    My 5e PHB, first printing, fell apart along the spin within the first half of a year and I didn't try for a refund. I just took it apart and it's all now in two loose leaf binders, each page in its own plastic protected sleeve. Easy to use, and marked with index tabs. All of my TSR books have spines still intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewID View Post
    * was there ever any other kind?
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by olskool View Post

- MICROWAVE OVENS
    - REMOTE CONTROLLED TV
    - PERSONAL COMPUTERS
    - CELL PHONES
    - VIDEO GAMES

*raises hand* I was around before touch tone phones were around. Dial phones. There was only one phone company. Seat belts were options on cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarawara View Post
    My high point was an online game with a good friend from Australia which lasted nine years to full completion.
    That's awesome.
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

Started before 3.5 came out. Must have been around 2000?

That said, there have been years in between where I didn't play D&D, but only other RPGs.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

13. - Top - End - #73

*raises hand* I was around before touch tone phones were around. Dial phones. There was only one phone company.
    I remember my Grandparents had a "Party Line". I was so happy when we got a "private" line in our house.
    Last edited by dafrca; 2021-11-18 at 04:07 PM.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

14. - Top - End - #74

I had a red box on the board games shelf for years while I was growing up (in the mid 90s, so it was already a decade old, don't know where or when my parents picked it up.)
    I must have played the solo adventure a few times, I know my first character was Eglin Darynson, a dwarf who I'm now playing in 5e.
    Around the turn of the millennium I considered running a campaign for my school friends, as we had moved to high school and our playground games had evolved into a freeform sci fi rpg.
    The sci fi, which i've since designed a system for, kept us busy though so D&D didn't quite happen a few times.

I started world building my fantasy world around 2001, initially writing a book and planning to run it freeform like the sci fi stuff. So the first generation of characters weren't built with d&d stats in mind.

I then read Warlock of Firetop Mountain around 2002, and quickly got hooked on the rereleased Fighting Fantasy books that were coming out at the time. That convinced us to make the jump from freeform to D&D.

We took another look at the redbox, and then decided to get these shiny new 3.5 books that were coming out that year (2003). I played a wizard named Xander Avelenda, although I ended up doing a lot of DMing as the campaign went on.

Our first campaign lasted seven years, although all but three of us stopped playing at some point during uni. I on the other hand expanded the group as I met more gamers, introducing new regions and eras as I went.

So my living world campaign has now been going on non stop for 20 years. The longest coherent campaign within that world is 10 years old now. A few others are longer, but have evolved Ship of Theseus style so that there has been near total turn over of players and characters. Still thats the advantage of a living world!

In terms of editions I've played: OD&D, red box, 3.0, 3.5, 4e, PF1e, and 5e. My big ongoing campaigns all still use 3.5 though, and that's not likely to change!

Got into other RPGs at uni circa 2006 and have played more things than I can easily list here. Lots of Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars, tons of home brew systems, and basically I'll play any thing once.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricCircle View Post
    So my living world campaign has now been going on non stop for 20 years. The longest coherent campaign within that world is 10 years old now. A few others are longer, but have evolved Ship of Theseus style so that there has been near total turn over of players and characters. Still thats the advantage of a living world!
    That is so awesome.
    and basically I'll play any thing once.
    I've played a lot of RPGs once, and sometimes I wish I could play them again but it's a matter of getting the right group together.

16. - Top - End - #76

That is so awesome.
    I've played a lot of RPGs once, and sometimes I wish I could play them again but it's a matter of getting the right group together.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, persuading people to step out of their comfort zone can be tough.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricCircle View Post
    ... and basically I'll play any thing once.
    One of the best parts of the raise of desk top publishing, PDFs, and the whole Digital distribution networks has been making this much cheaper.

Used to be a time when if I wanted to "try" a game I had to buy at least the core rules and read them then convince the people in the group to try something "for a little while". Today I can download relatively cheap PDFs, read them, and in some cases publishers will offer cut down free demo or trial rule sets so I can even have the rest of the people download free the rules I want to try.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

I was already a teenager by the time I started playing tabletop. Prior to that I had played the JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Symphony of the Night, Secret of Mana, Dragon's Breath. But I started table top playing a pre built cleric in the Ravenloft campaign in the late nineties ( summer break ~98 ). This was AD&D at our local game store. I had no idea at the time but Ravenloft vs Straad is a terrible way to be introduced to D&D. We did not do well at all in the campaign, but that campaign has one of my favorite and most memorable events that ever happened in any game.

A few short campaigns of AD&D later, I was walking through a different gamestore and saw some of the same members of the group I had played with at the first store ( which sadly was out of business by this point). They were super excided about 3rd ed and were talking about the Living Campaigns WotC was starting up. I joined in and we played weekly for YEARS. Living Greyhawk, Living Realms, Masque of the Red Death. When 3.5 came out we made the conversion. We also tried both 4th and Pathfinder. We liked both but for very different reasons. Pathfinder won over in the end ( after multiple campaigns of each ) due to the sheer number of character options. 4th ed couldn't compete with the spread of character ideas and gimmicks. We had a heavy salting of GURPS, Savage Worlds, Gamma World, Mutants and Masterminds, Star Trek ( Last Unicorn Games), Star Wars D6/D20, Villains and Vigilantes, Fate, Dungeon World, and a few Whitewolf systems over those same years. But it was mostly D&D.

A few years back I took a break from D&D for family reasons (growing family reasons). Thus, I haven't given 5th a proper try yet, nor Pathfinder 2.0. Just a one shot here or tutorial there. I also picked up an ran a campaign of Star Wars by FFG. That is a fun game but it is not the crawl and level of fighting seen in D&D by any stretch.

I guess that makes it about 23 solid years of table top gaming across over a dozen systems for me.

EDIT: How in the actual hell could I forget to mention Legend of the 5 rings???! Played lots of that too.
    Last edited by gijoemike; 2021-11-23 at 12:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

I was introduced in 2012 with 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons, in a small IRC roleplaying circle that sprung up in the wake of My Little Pony's 4th generation. I eventually moved onto indie d20 (and d20 at large), then just indie games, but 4e D&D still holds a place in my heart.
    The future is bright.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

September 2017

Before that time since the early 00s I played Talislanta. Then people got pregnant and Talislanta died. Then a few years later I joined a 3.5 party. Currently in three parties of which I DM two occasionally. But i highly depend on other players for the rules.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Too long

But for approx 40 years - started at Uni