New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default How to handle Spam accounts

I noticed multiple spam accounts lately. I mean accounts with exactly 11 posts, 10 of them generic replies to some other threads and number eleven being some spam/advertisement including a link.

Is there a way to report the whole account instead of the individual posts? Or reporting multiple posts at once?
    Otherwise, should there be one report (for the post with the link), with the rest mentioned in the text field?

Thanks in advance,
    Rogan
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: How to handle Spam accounts

As far as I recall, the preference is for just the one report - "This poster is a spambot" - and that's enough.

That's what's said here, at least:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ead-necromancy
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-10-30 at 05:31 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Only one report on one post is necessary, preferably one with the actual spam links. But, the more information you can give us the better. If you don't have a lot of time, just mention the other posts briefly, but if you do then feel free to include a longer explanation with links to the other posts.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

As a note, my SOP with obvious spammers is to ban them, then get rid of ALL of their posts. I can go into their account and do it quite easily if they've got the 11 posts (it would be harder to do it to someone with hundreds or thousands of posts, I think, but I haven't tried, because it's never been necessary). Once I know they're there, removing them is pretty easy.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Okay, I think this answers all my questions. Thank you all.

I'll try to be a bit more elaborate than "Spam" when writing the report in the future, but I don't think there is much to add, most of the time.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

On a related note, sometimes I see people who seem to be building up the required number of posts to post links by making meaningless posts in threads. Is it useful to report them before they post the inevitable spam link, or is the chance that they are legitimate posters who are just making not very contributive posts and thus don't deserve the instant ban-hammer too high? I will admit that I seldom see them in the middle of the process and I haven't spent nearly enough time to figure out how long they usually take, but if it is counterproductive to report people who I only have a strong suspicion are spam bots then I will stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    On a related note, sometimes I see people who seem to be building up the required number of posts to post links by making meaningless posts in threads. Is it useful to report them before they post the inevitable spam link, or is the chance that they are legitimate posters who are just making not very contributive posts and thus don't deserve the instant ban-hammer too high? I will admit that I seldom see them in the middle of the process and I haven't spent nearly enough time to figure out how long they usually take, but if it is counterproductive to report people who I only have a strong suspicion are spam bots then I will stop.
    Yes, it's useful to report them if you think they're suspicious.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-30 at 02:09 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2