New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Opposite of Undead

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Kind of my thought. The living are the balance to the undead.

Huh. What about a setup like this.

At the center, your fulcrum, are the dead. Towards "east" and "west", you have the living and the dead. Towards "North" and "South" you have Elementals and Genies. Towards "up" and "down" you have Celestials and Fiends.

Now, the fun part. The dead are the center. The dead are the place around which all of this turns, and so the dead are the commodity that everyone craves. The living do so through a program of breeding (i.e. having babies) and reincarnation. The undead do so by consuming corpses and stealing life force. The Celestials offer paradise; the fiends offer power. Elementals and Genies harvest the dead as fuel for their fires, and they offer gifts.

Now, the Living, the essence of the Living, are elves (or Fae), who live forever. Humans, who live short lives, are closer to the Dead (though, obviously, not Dead themselves). This means they're a lot more vulnerable to the Undead... their own counterparts are zombies and skeletons (the bearly undead), with vampires and liches being more akin to elves (the deeply undead).

You could throw others into the intermediaries, of course.
    Me: I wanted to keep this a light-hearted setting...
    Forum: How about the dead are a commodity and everyone's fighting for them?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    What can I say? We aim to pervert.

Sorry. I think "Fey as the opposite of undead" works well, and changing it to "humans are the commodity", makes it a bit less dire.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't want to conflate Necrum and Abyss.
    Having a definite quantifiable afterlife raises questions I'm not prepared to answer.
    Then I would suggest making Necrum the antechamber of the afterlife, a place through which souls transit before passing on to the great beyond.

Possible lore under that premise:
    • Most souls remain wholly uncorporeal, but those who linger eventually gain the statblock of a ghost or some other ectoplasm.
    • The living can physically travel to Necrum, but should they die here then their corpses are sure to rise as zombies and the like.
    • Creatures born on Necrum exhibit dhampir-like traits, and it is believed that the first true vampires began as such odd children.

I am taking inspiration from the Nentir Vale version of the Shadowfell. An optimistic interpretation of Eberron's Dolhurr also has it work as a doorway to a better afterlife.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think the opposite of the undead would be cancer tumors. So maybe your counterbalance plane is like one of those living levels you see in some videogames where everything is made out of flesh and bone and it's like a big teratoma
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think the opposite of the undead would be cancer tumors. So maybe your counterbalance plane is like one of those living levels you see in some videogames where everything is made out of flesh and bone and it's like a big teratoma
    Riftwolf: I wanted to keep this a light-hearted setting...
    Forum: How about a plane of cancer tissue?

(I still think you should go with plants.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Which in D&D would be the purview of aberrations and the Far Realm.

Not a bad choice as an opposite to the undead. For humor, you could have zombies go "braaains" but then the brains bite back.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I still think you should go with plants.
    That's also my main choice. Plants, fey, dryads, all that verdant stuff.

Still, the place could be encroached by other extremes / classic videogames levels: flesh zone, elemental zone, clockwork zone...

7. - Top - End - #37

Lizardfolk

(I still think you should go with plants.)
    Beat me to the punch XD
    Thanks for suggestions but I'm going with a Fae plane. I have other ideas for this game but I'm honestly worried to post them now (I thought World would be the safest part)

By Fae I'm thinking Nymphs (Greek), Satyrs, Leshy (Ents with the branding scrubbed off), Pixies etc. Elves would be a mortal race who are long lived; the Fae are relatively short lived, depending on the species they can last a season, a few years or as long as their loci is intact.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-11-05 at 09:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

What if it was a mix of cancer tissue and politicians, would that make it better or worse?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

9. - Top - End - #39

Lizardfolk

What if it was a mix of cancer tissue and politicians, would that make it better or worse?
    Stop somehow making it worse! Forum rules prevent me quipping back!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Undead is the term fearful mortals use. Truly, it is a state of pure, bodyless intellect. The corpse thing - well, we still need to read books, so something has to turn pages. Thus we require empty shells to fill with our intellect. (/tsundere)

The counterpoint is pure body, no intellect. Common beasts.

On a different axis, i think golems would be opposite undead. Elemental spirit vs human soul as animating force.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the following: material plane living creatures lives and generally wants to live but when they do not want to live they do not live long, undead live because they want to and are powered by that will to live and the opposite of the undead would live despite not caring about living at all.
    (You would have to remove creatures cursed to live against their will from the undead category if you use that)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-11-09 at 06:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

What if you had two undead planes, but one was ghosts and specters and so forth, and the other was zombies and vampires and stuff? The body vs the soul.

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #43

What if you had two undead planes, but one was ghosts and specters and so forth, and the other was zombies and vampires and stuff? The body vs the soul.
    And the former would be a big meaty tumor, while the latter would be composed of political slogans and pre-election promises?

14. - Top - End - #44

Lizardfolk

And the former would be a big meaty tumor, while the latter would be composed of political slogans and pre-election promises?
    I wanted this to be vaguely kid friendly guys...

15. - Top - End - #45

Well, in the Dragonwatch series (which I've just been reading), a lot of the metaphysics revolve around the conflict between the powers of light/life and darkness/death. Light magic prolongs and creates life, while dark magic prevents death through undeath. In that series, the opposite of the undead are the undying, mortals who have been infused with light magic such that they are in various ways incapable of truly dying (some undying age and some don't, but all have in common that if they die they generally don't stay dead). The realms of Light are described as places where life never withers or fades, places filled with an eternal vitality. The only downside is that things generally can't grow or develop in the realms of light either, that only happens when you enter the mortal realms where light and dark mix and things can grow or die.

But that series does very deliberately conflate light/life with good and darkness/death with evil, which you've said you don't want to do.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

16. - Top - End - #46

How about progress and innovation and futurism as the opposite of undead. The undead are supposed to be gone but are still around and the other plane could be full of stuff that's not supposed to be around yet

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe undead are caused by an excess of life that prevents death.
    If undeath is the excess of life the plane opposing undeath would be a wasteland devoid of any life.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-11-30 at 10:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eberron has a positive energy plane, Irian, filled with creation. It has Lumi building sets that will go to become parts of the other planes, to balance out another plane of hungry undead stealing old pieces of those planes.
    yo